Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I don't think people should seek housing assistance if they don't need it.

The lady in this article signed up for the Housing List when she was 18, this looks to be dependency culture.

In the article it says that she's organising a "peaceful protest",
    what a fooking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Any mention of a husband/partner/father in the Limerick story.

That is NEVER asked or mentioned in dispatches.

John Halligan asked that very question and it cost him €7000

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Donal55 wrote: »
    I was equating the point that some bird from Limerick living in a hotel gives birth and fire and brimstone is hailed down on her.

100 miles up the road in Balla 14 birds from Syria living in a hotel are pregnant and yet you ask that they should be 'given a chance'.

Why would you not give the one from Limerick the same credence?

Any links to that please?

I thought it was all men brought here from Syria. Well any podcast, report I have listened to only involved men.

Maybe I am incorrect in that assumption.

Any links to that please?

I thought it was all men brought here from Syria. Well any podcast, report I have listened to only involved men.

Maybe I am incorrect in that assumption.

Most defnitely not all men. Plenty of women and children from 9 to 90!

Have a look at last weeks TV3 doc to see the mix. Im unable to post links as I'm on the phone.

John Halligan asked that very question and it cost him €7000

Different context with Halligan right or wrong.

But sure we will give all the Syrians passports including the kids, and the next lot nine months hence, and so on. They obviously know the drill.

• Advertisement

Most defnitely not all men. Plenty of women and children from 9 to 90!

I await the links. I am not disputing you for a minute, but a bit of background information about this would be appreciated.

Have a look at last weeks TV3 doc to see the mix. Im unable to post links as I'm on the phone.

Thanks, will check it out when I have a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Really sickens me to see people want a free life and contribute nothing. Can’t read all (almost) 200 pages.

Any good suggestions on how you fix this problem.

I await the links. I am not disputing you for a minute, but a bit of background information about this would be appreciated.

Ive family in balla and the men women and kids are very visible in the town. In fact they were even in Croker for AI Mayo matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

In fairness it's a bit ridiculous complaining about cramped conditions in hotels and at the same time popping out another kid.

Daddy might want to consider putting a johnny on before getting back on the saddle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

mada82 wrote: »
    Really sickens me to see people want a free life and contribute nothing. Can’t read all (almost) 200 pages.

End social housing, perhaps make it similar to the pension system where you have to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Properly implement schemes such as the CE Scheme to be compulsory where there is no valid reason someone can't work, from the point at which they become unemployed. Only reduce benefits whilst on the scheme, people would likely be motivated to get a better paying or other job if they were going to have to work to receive benefits anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I definitely agree all social welfare recipients should be paying the state back some how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

there is a mix of families and individuals staying in the hotel in Ballaghaderreen. TV3 did a programme about them recently. The plan is to house them in the wider community as their refugee statuses are confirmed.

TBH im conflicted, they've come from awful circumstances but the local authorities are buying homes for them ahead of Irish families

In fairness it's a bit ridiculous complaining about cramped conditions in hotels and at the same time popping out another kid.

Daddy might want to consider putting a johnny on before getting back on the saddle.

For the purposes of getting a "forever home" from the state there is no daddy, even if he is hiding under the bed when the sw inspectors call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Doltanian wrote: »
    End social housing, perhaps make it similar to the pension system where you have to contribute.

In every country in the world there are people who don’t have the means/inclination to house themselves. It’s the mark of civilization that we would house them.
    In Ireland we have a points system giving you a position on the queue to be housed.
    The more kids you have, the more points you get, the higher up the list you go.
    So you have the spectacle of single mothers becoming pregnant again, and again, so that they will be moved up the queue.
    They are usually very specific about where they want to live, usually on top of close family and familiar shops pubs etc.
    Mostly the fathers of these children make zero contribution of any kind to the children’s lives.
    None of the reporters that go out to interview these hotel dwellers ever ask the mothers about family planning or getting a contribution from the dad or how many properties they have already refused.
    For decency’s sake I hope a benefits/allowance cap is introduced in this country before very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

splinter65 wrote: »
    In every country in the world there are people who don’t have the means/inclination to house themselves. It’s the mark of civilization that we would house them.
    In Ireland we have a points system giving you a position on the queue to be housed.
    So you have the spectacle of single mothers becoming pregnant again, and again, so that they will be moved up the queue.
    They are usually very specific about where they want to live, usually on top of close family and familiar shops pubs etc.
    Mostly the fathers of these children make zero contribution of any kind to the children’s lives.
    None of the reporters that go out to interview these hotel dwellers ever ask the mothers about family planning or getting a contribution from the dad or how many properties they have already refused.

If you're gonna post about how the social housing allocation system works, I suggest you actually do a bit of research to ensure your info is correct. Thats not how it works.

How about social housing, but get rid of the concept of it being for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Owryan wrote: »
    there is a mix of families and individuals staying in the hotel in Ballaghaderreen. TV3 did a programme about them recently. The plan is to house them in the wider community as their refugee statuses are confirmed.

TBH im conflicted, they've come from awful circumstances but the local authorities are buying homes for them ahead of Irish families

Many of those Irish families, as per the example given have never made an effort to contribute, we can only hope that these refugees will be more forthcoming and make the investment worthwhile.

splinter65 wrote: »
    For decency’s sake I hope a benefits/allowance cap is introduced in this country before very long.

If your benefits cap wasn't introduced during the crash it certainly won't be introduced now. Remember the lines from the spoofer, 'I'm looking after the people who get up for work early in the morning'. LOL.

BTW he's on telly again tonight most likely with more lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The cost of housing is far too high.

Rent is too expensive, the price of new houses is insane. The state makes lots of money from this situation.

Most folks will house themselves given the option, but lots of the stories here with folks with young kids will never ever be able to scrape together the price of a house so the state will have to house them.

There are plenty of *cough* tall stories but many many genuine stories too.

Some folks here are very harsh.

222233 wrote: »
    Many of those Irish families, as per the example given have never made an effort to contribute, we can only hope that these refugees will be more forthcoming and make the investment worthwhile.

And there are plenty of families, usually ignored here, who are struggling and imo should be housed ahead of those who don't, as you say 'contribute'.

Wonder what would happen if a decision was taken that families in low paid employment were housed ahead of those on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is a side effect of the welfare state. The welfare state rewards poor decisions.

Doltanian wrote: »

The non contributory pension says hello.
    There's people on that getting more than people on the contributory pension .

This is a side effect of the welfare state. The welfare state rewards poor decisions.

Yeah and absolutely screws you over when you try to do something right.

Fathers need to become visible in the tear enducing trials of those with multiple children looking for social housing.

I heard the Limerick woman on radio earlier and her travails with her labour on her fifth child. No mention of a daddy at all. None, nor was it asked.

Maybe I am just a horrible person altogether at this stage.

neonsofa wrote: »
    If you're gonna post about how the social housing allocation system works, I suggest you actually do a bit of research to ensure your info is correct. Thats not how it works.

Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

One suggestion is to reform / abolish OPFP, and replace it with supports for all parents.

OPFP encourages non-partnership.

Should we encourage partnership?

Fathers need to become visible in the tear enducing trials of those with multiple children looking for social housing.

I heard the Limerick woman on radio earlier and her travails with her labour on her fifth child. No mention of a daddy at all. None, nor was it asked.

Maybe I am just a horrible person altogether at this stage.

You’re not horrible at all.
    Everyone is afraid to say anything at all at this stage.
    It’s so tragic for the children.
    “My dad doesn’t give a **** if he never sees me, never does anything for me, never gives me anything. I must be worthless “.
    Heartbreaking.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    One suggestion is to reform / abolish OPFP, and replace it with supports for all parents.

OPFP encourages non-partnership.

Should we encourage partnership?

Married couples should be prioritised and a fair equitable system of Divorce introduced to prevent women taking men with wealth to the cleaners. If it was up to me I would get rid of Divorce entirely in favour a system of annulments with the Church overseeing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement