Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

We are not allowed to say this anywhere else but places like this.

And even then there can be censorship about this issue depending on the mod on duty.

Keep with the program is the mantra. Homeless good, tough if you have to live with your parents and save and eventually fend for yourself.

I agree with you. But it is fact, I can show photos and emails to admin if required.

Its really sad to be cleaning up a place that was abused and hear of a young local girl killing herself in a B&B, and then it plays out as described above. Its PC bollix. You cannot say what really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

When a young local girl with kids, is in a B&B and kills herself, while you see the scam of a single girl, working in a bank, living in a 3 bedroom semi, then the house get allocated to another family who have a house and dont like it?

Putting locals first is nothing to be ashamed about.
    Well the legal definition of discrimination includes discrimination based on nationality, so technically it is.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well the legal definition of discrimination includes discrimination based on nationality, so technically it is.

In some areas of ireland, only locals or children of locals are allowed to build houses. So the council is guilty of discrimination?

EDIT It appears you are correct. The ejits in the EU say the councils are discriminating.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/locals-only-planning-rule-illegal-and-discriminatory-says-eu-26300271.html

This is the sugar that triggered brexit. Stupid rules from our overlords in Europe and the people eventually said STOP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In some areas of ireland, only locals or children of locals are allowed to build houses. So the council is guilty of discrimination?
    Are some areas of Ireland different nations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are some areas of Ireland different nations?

Gaeltacht areas might think so.

• Advertisement

Donal55 wrote: »
    Gaeltacht areas might think so.

Indeed. Sure Kerry thinks that it has its own kingdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I have just spent weeks cleaning up a 3 bedroom house that a nigerian family had via rent allowance/HAP . Turns out family left a while back leaving a single daughter in the house, while she was working in a bank.

It took nearly 10 grand to bring it back to normal acceptable condition. While painting it a few weeks back, I listened to the radio about a poor girl from Tallaght who had to leave her rental house as the landlord wanted it back for his family. That's fair enough. But she and her kids were in a hotel and she killed herself. My heart sank. I sickened me.

Anyway, this house is now cleaned up and the council have nominated a chechnian (spelling?) family for it. They were in a house and had to leave after years, as the landlord wanted it back. So they got another house, but say they don't like it. So the council is now MOVING them to this house.

Since when do immigrant people, who don't like the house they get, get the opportunity to move, while other families are stuck in B&B's with NO house???

Note : Nothing racist about this, its a fact and I can produce this info to admin.

With respect, taking her own life is perhaps more reflective of a mental health crisis than a housing crisis. However, I'm acutely aware that the housing crisis is only fuelling our mental health crisis.

Absolutely NO BODY should have the choice to move irrespective of their nationality or citizenship status. The whole system is a joke.

If you have a single mother for example, who moves into a hotel with 2 or 3 kids, then surely the father(s) could take the kids until such time as she acquires reasonable accommodation? I mean it can't just be the case that every one of these fathers happens to not be in a position to have the kids stay with them or a relative, maybe some but definitely not all. In these situations there are two families at play dads side and moms surely between them someone would have a relative that allows them to stay, they can't all just happen to have absolutely no where to go.

222233 wrote: »
    With respect, taking her own life is perhaps more reflective of a mental health crisis than a housing crisis. However, I'm acutely aware that the housing crisis is only fuelling our mental health crisis.

Absolutely NO BODY should have the choice to move irrespective of their nationality or citizenship status. The whole system is a joke.

If you have a single mother for example, who moves into a hotel with 2 or 3 kids, then surely the father(s) could take the kids until such time as she acquires reasonable accommodation? I mean it can't just be the case that every one of these fathers happens to not be in a position to have the kids stay with them or a relative, maybe some but definitely not all. In these situations there are two families at play dads side and moms surely between them someone would have a relative that allows them to stay, they can't all just happen to have absolutely no where to go.

I have to agree. It takes two to create a family but for whatever reason, the father was not around. I was smarting from the damage caused to this house and knowing it was a 3 bed house, wrecked, and being occupied by one person while the council believed they had housed a family, illustrates the scam. Did I mention all the post I am finding in multiple names chasing unpaid bills? Then the radio mentions someone who NEEDS a house, and committed suicide in despair, while I knew what I knew? And next thing is a family who don't LIKE their house are pandered to!

The system is so ****ed up and it aint changing due to being politically correct.

Makes ME despair.

I have to agree. It takes two to create a family but for whatever reason, the father was not around. I was smarting from the damage caused to this house and knowing it was a 3 bed house, wrecked, and being occupied by one person while the council believed they had housed a family, illustrates the scam. Did I mention all the post I am finding in multiple names chasing unpaid bills? Then the radio mentions someone who NEEDS a house, and committed suicide in despair, while I knew what I knew? And next thing is a family who don't LIKE their house are pandered to!

The system is so ****ed up and it aint changing due to being politically correct.

Makes ME despair.

Absolutely it's ridiculous, the fact that the house you tended to was so damaged is infuriating in itself, surely if you are given something for next to free you would feel some obligation to take care of it, speaks volumes about the entitlement culture. There should be no leniency when those properties are damaged, given the current climate, those people should just be cut from the system.

Oh, I agree the story of that girl is simply tragic, I didn't mean to refer to her with respect to my comment about fathers, it was just a general observation about the stories surrounding single mothers in hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dads do not seem to exist in these trauma situations do they?

Can anyone point me to a Dad on his own in an hotel room with multiple kids?

It is always the mothers.

I am heartily sick of this discrimination now. Dads need to step up to the plate.

Anyway, many people survive and live without help from the State because they HAVE to, they are not entitled to anything.

I am a bit bothered by all these women with multiple kids and no Dads in view. Did I say that already? Yep.

Someone will justify it all I am sure soon enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I am heartily sick of this discrimination now. Dads need to step up to the plate.

Anyway, many people survive and live without help from the State because they HAVE to, they are not entitled to anything.

I am a bit bothered by all these women with multiple kids and no Dads in view. Did I say that already? Yep.

It does happen but not that often. I work in homeless services and the majority of service users are parents by themselves. They aren't all single parents though, in a lot of cases the hotels, hostels and hubs don't have family rooms so the mum and dad are split between services. Dad might be in one location and mum in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

eviltwin wrote: »

It does happen but not that often. I work in homeless services and the majority of service users are parents by themselves. They aren't all single parents though, in a lot of cases the hotels, hostels and hubs don't have family rooms so the mum and dad are split between services. Dad might be in one location and mum in another.

I think the hubs are family orientated and are taking dads/mums together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

eviltwin wrote: »

It also makes sense that single person- single income- households would have more difficulty in keeping a roof over their head than that of a household with two incomes so its not all that surprising that there are many single parents in that situation.

Those with supportive ex spouses/coparents are more likely to receive maintenance or financial support of some kind from the other parent. Or even just practical support which allows them to work for example. Or like a poster above mentioned, they would take the kids so they dont end up in homeless accommodation. So again it makes sense that those with no involvement whatsoever from the other parent (and therefore no mention of same) are the ones who end up in that situation.

neonsofa wrote: »
    It also makes sense that single person- single income- households would have more difficulty in keeping a roof over their head than that of a household with two incomes so its not all that surprising that there are many single parents in that situation.

It is surprising though to me that they seem to have so much difficulty.Why is it that in the majority of the cases we hear there is one or more dads still alive, perhaps separated but still functioning - out of those dads surely one is supplementing or knows someone who could help? It can't be the case that they all happen to have to fend it alone and get zero support from the fathers.

What saddens me about this is in the work I do I see lots of widowed women and men fending it alone, often struggling and doing absolutely excellent jobs.

Those with supportive ex spouses/coparents are more likely to receive maintenance or financial support of some kind from the other parent. Or even just practical support which allows them to work for example. Or like a poster above mentioned, they would take the kids so they dont end up in homeless accommodation. So again it makes sense that those with no involvement whatsoever from the other parent (and therefore no mention of same) are the ones who end up in that situation.

But why isn't the other parent drawn into it if they are still alive, why don't the Govt. chase them up, it takes two to tango after all, why should the burden to provide for children with TWO parents fall onto the state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

It is surprising though to me that they seem to have so much difficulty.Why is it that in the majority of the cases we hear there is one or more dads still alive, perhaps separated but still functioning - out of those dads surely one is supplementing or knows someone who could help? It can't be the case that they all happen to have to fend it alone and get zero support from the fathers.

What saddens me about this is in the work I do I see lots of widowed women and men fending it alone, often struggling and doing absolutely excellent jobs.

But why isn't the other parent drawn into it if they are still alive, why don't the Govt. chase them up, it takes two to tango after all, why should the burden to provide for children with TWO parents fall onto the state?

In some cases the mothers are receiving court ordered maintenance but aren’t declaring it as it impacts them when it goes beyond a certain amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have just spent weeks cleaning up a 3 bedroom house that a nigerian family had via rent allowance/HAP . Turns out family left a while back leaving a single daughter in the house, while she was working in a bank.

Anyway, this house is now cleaned up and the council have nominated a chechnian (spelling?) family for it. They were in a house and had to leave after years, as the landlord wanted it back. So they got another house, but say they don't like it. So the council is now MOVING them to this house.

Since when do immigrant people, who don't like the house they get, get the opportunity to move, while other families are stuck in B&B's with NO house???

Note : Nothing racist about this, its a fact and I can produce this info to admin.

Why are Chechens allowed into Ireland, and why are we providing them with housing?

I absolutely agree with you. 100%. I am not justifying the absent parent not stepping up. But the fact is there are many who dont step up. Even when pursued through the court system. And there are many parents who split up due to abuse/violence/drug or alcohol issues etc where it is in the childs best interest to not be with the other parent. I am just pointing out why it is single parents with no involved coparent that seem to end up in the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Geuze wrote: »
    Why are Chechens allowed into Ireland, and why are we providing them with housing?

Likely refugees who fled when putin decided to level the place or political you never know ,

But it's going to be funny how many people going Into the hubs will end up in the papers in 9 months heavily pregnant or with new baby saying that that have no where to go again and the hub is forcing them out on the streets

I absolutely agree with you. 100%. I am not justifying the absent parent not stepping up. But the fact is there are many who dont step up. Even when pursued through the court system.

And there are many parents who split up due to abuse/violence/drug or alcohol issues etc where it is in the childs best interest to not be with the other parent. I am just pointing out why it is single parents with no involved coparent that seem to end up in the situation.

Those who don't step up should be dealt with accordingly and that includes the mother. There is no reason for example to continue having children if you have been on a housing list with no prospects for future income or suitable accommodation for say 10 years, its senseless. I believe the social work field should be better integrated into this, formative years are so important for children's development, the environment not being suitable for fostering this is in my opinion negligent.

I agree. But if there is more than one father involved, this is unlikely continuously the case. Absolutely for some women this is definitely the case and there is probably no alternative, however with drugs/abuse etc. it should really become a social care issue, children who may have witnessed any of the above occurring should certainly not be subjected to staying in temporary arrangements where stability is something they will desperately need to learn to accomplish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stingray555

Gatling wrote: »
    Likely refugees who fled when putin decided to level the place or political you never know ,

But it's going to be funny how many people going Into the hubs will end up in the papers heavily pregnant or with new baby saying that that have no where to go again

How can anyone without a roof over their own head bring a child into this world into homelessness? How cruel is that? OK maybe one can come along accidentally, but can anyone do this to a new being is brutality beyond belief.

• Advertisement

Those who don't step up should be dealt with accordingly and that includes the mother. There is no reason for example to continue having children if you have been on a housing list with no prospects for future income or suitable accommodation for say 10 years, its senseless. I believe the social work field should be better integrated into this, formative years are so important for children's development, the environment not being suitable for fostering this is in my opinion negligent.

I agree. But if there is more than one father involved, this is unlikely continuously the case. Absolutely for some women this is definitely the case and there is probably no alternative, however with drugs/abuse etc. it should really become a social care issue, children who may have witnessed any of the above occurring should certainly not be subjected to staying in temporary arrangements where stability is something they will desperately need to learn to accomplish.

Again I agree.

No child should be subjected to staying in temp acommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Like someone said earlier in the thread.

They do have places to go. They have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, cousins who could put them up until they get sorted. The problem is they don't want to sort anything. Why would any parent leave their child and grandchild living in a hostel? (Maybe some would but no chance every one of them)

They stay in the hotels, b&b's because they know if they hold out long enough they will get a new house.

Out of the thousands that are supposed to be up in hostels, hotels etc I don't believe for one minute that not one of them has family that they could stay with.

The partner then reappears when the house is in the bag and suddenly wants to be involved again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Like someone said earlier in the thread.

They do have places to go. They have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, cousins who could put them up until they get sorted. The problem is they don't want to sort anything.

They stay in the hotels, b&b's because they know if they hold out long enough they will get a new house.

Out of the thousands that are supposed to be up in hostels, hotels etc I don't believe for one minute that not one of them has family that they could stay with.

The partner then reappears when the house is in the bag and suddenly wants to be involved again.

You do have a point but holding out for a local authhority house is not that straight forward, if you go into a family hub one of the criteria you must agree to is that you actively engage with support staff with a view to getting private rented.
    A small minority are getting placed with housing associations.

If you want to brazen it out now for local authority housing as a homeless single person the wait time is about 8 years.

You do have a point but holding out for a local authhority house is not that straight forward, if you go into a family hub one of the criteria you must agree to is that you actively engage with support staff with a view to getting private rented.
    A small minority are getting placed with housing associations.

If you want to brazen it out now for local authority housing as a homeless single person the wait time is about 8 years.

I’d say the wait is far longer than 8 years now.

I was waiting 9 years, 6 of it as a single person, the other 3 with my partner and children on the application.

It’s far worse now, around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It’s far worse now, around here anyway.

....but but, Leo said that homelessness isn't really that bad in Ireland!

In some cases the mothers are receiving court ordered maintenance but aren’t declaring it as it impacts them when it goes beyond a certain amount.

Rubbish. If it’s court ordered, there’s no hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I was reading the Sunday world last week, there was a woman in it and her fella was connected to the limerick feud etc.. Hes was been investigated by CAB etc. But what stood out for me in the article was, she receives 2,500 a month for her 8 kids. This country rewards lazy people and screws the honest person. Its a joke, dont have kids if u cant pay for them. A friend of mine is living in a a tiny 2 bed apartment. Him an his girlfriend are paying 1250 euro a month rent. Across the road, are a family with four kids, living in a four bed semi, parents dont work. all paid for by the social welfare.

Rubbish. If it’s court ordered, there’s no hiding it.

My ex hid it for 10 years so it ain’t rubbish.

If it was court ordered then surely all you had to do was inform social welfare, provide the evidence and let them deal with it.

• Advertisement

And you let her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement