Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

And you let her?

She was caught when I was adding the child to my own rent book.

The welfare caught her in 2014 when I briefly signed on and was asked to declare any maintenance I am paying, so I produced the court order.

There are no PPS numbers needed for the family law court so tracing people isn’t as straightforward as it probably should be.

She demanded i clear her arrears with both the council and dole as it was ‘all your fault’

And as an added bonus demanded extra maintenance into the hand but refused to bring me back to court.

Same girl never worked.

Edit:

She has other children but never took the fathers to court for maintenance.
    She either gets cash in hand or nothing at all.

She says she learned her lesson with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I agree in principal re the welfare state issues but I'm not sure what the solution is...
    Its a joke, dont have kids if u cant pay for them.

It's a great soundbite but how would you go about enforcing that in practice? Short of legalising forced contraception or making "surplus" kids wards of state and up for adoption or fostering...which create their own extremely expensive (both in practical terms and legal) headaches.
    There should be a law brought in if your on welfare, that the state will only pay for two,

The problem is the constant balancing act between being a responsible, compassionate society and being the kind of society which ostracises the poorest and most vulnerable as way of some kind of morality pushing punishment which sees single mothers and babies hungry and homeless because the state has washed their hands of them. Poverty doesn't stop people having children, a quick look at any third world country will show you that - and then there's the hypocrisy issue; a country can't claim to care so much about babies that you have laws preventing abortion and then effectively have state abandonment of the same babies as soon as they are born...
    Why are working people who are taxed enough, pay for layabouts to have multiple kids and their accommodation. Its a disgrace.

Because that's how society works. Because the Irish constitution gives special protections to the family. Because Ireland historically disapproves of contraception and chooses to make abortion illegal thus encouraging traditionally large families. Because 1 in 6 here have significant literacy issues which affects education and thus unemployment. Because childcare is horrifically expensive, there is little to no regular public transport outwith big cities, there is a kind of quasi-private education and health service which are both expensive and that makes low paying jobs which require little training/education less appealing than staying on benefits - and that's before you get to the huge social issues around generational unemployment, drug and substance abuse and mental health issues.

All in all it's a hugely complex issue...plus, I have to say I always find it sad and more than a little confusing that there is such vitriolic resentment over who gets the lion's share of the scraps at the table, all the while watching those feasting at the top helping themselves to another eye-watering portion.

neonsofa wrote: »
    If it was court ordered then surely all you had to do was inform social welfare, provide the evidence and let them deal with it.

That's more or less what happened in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

She was caught when I was adding the child to my own rent book.

The welfare caught her in 2014 when I briefly signed on and was asked to declare any maintenance I am paying, so I produced the court order.

There are no PPS numbers needed for the family law court so tracing people isn’t as straightforward as it probably should be.

She demanded i clear her arrears with both the council and dole as it was ‘all your fault’

And as an added bonus demanded extra maintenance into the hand but refused to bring me back to court.

Same girl never worked.

Edit:

She has other children but never took the fathers to court for maintenance.
    She either gets cash in hand or nothing at all.

She says she learned her lesson with me.
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious, she's the mother of the child you willingly partook in conceiving

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, she's the mother of the child you willingly partook in conceiving

I did and pay my way.

• Advertisement

I did and pay my way.
    Yes and you chose to have a child with her but you've just ran her into the ground at every opportunity, it's very disrespectful

Yes and you chose to have a child with her but you've just ran her into the ground at every opportunity, it's very disrespectful

I didn't run her into the ground.

I was asked for evidence of maintenance payments by the DSP when i signed on and provided them, as for adding the child to my rent book,i wasn't aware what she had declared to them in relation to income.

So i think your comment is a bit unfair.

If you wish to continue to direct ire at me then please feel free to PM and not on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Western Europe is going to be in trouble soon. The Welfare state will run out eventually as people paying into the system become less and less while the takers grows more and more [and no doubt the "refugees" coming in will also be on the dole as well]

CTD, you're the highest contributer to the thread with 316 posts and the next highest is 124. You've made yourself the centre of the thread, criticising others waiting on houses but telling us all yourself you're currently in one council house waiting on a bigger one because you've decided to increase the size of your family without having means to put a roof over their new heads.
    You're posting personal information in regards to your child's mother, stating how she's never worked a day in her life and how she's scammed the state and council. This is a woman that was good enough to throw your leg across, and breed with. If you've no respect for the mother of your child at least show a little for your child. You're not coming across any better than she is

CTD, you're the highest contributer to the thread with 316 posts and the next highest is 124. You've made yourself the centre of the thread, criticising others waiting on houses but telling us all yourself you're currently in one council house waiting on a bigger one because you've decided to increase the size of your family without having means to put a roof over their new heads.
    You're posting personal information in regards to your child's mother, stating how she's never worked a day in her life and how she's scammed the state and council. This is a woman that was good enough to throw your leg across, and breed with. If you've no respect for the mother of your child at least show a little for your child. You're not coming across any better than she is

I work,my partner works.

As for how many posts i've had, i didn't know that so thank you for that bit of information, i thought the motorsport forum was the one i had the most posts in.

I never said i didn't have any respect for the mother, we don't get on but i do try to remain civil with her.

As for the child, i do my absolute best for her.

In relation to having more kids, if i work and pay for them where is the issue?

The council house issue was already covered before, i am sick of going around in circles on that one, i got mortgage approval but we have decided to put that on hold and revisit it in 2018 in the hope of getting an increased mortgage, where we are at present wouldn't be financially viable to buy.

In relation to 'breeding' with my ex, i was young and stupid and learned valuable lessons in life from it.

May we please move away from discussing me as i tried to do in the previous post?

Thank you :)

• Advertisement

I work,my partner works.

As for how many posts i've had, i didn't know that so thank you for that bit of information, i thought the motorsport forum was the one i had the most posts in.

I never said i didn't have any respect for the mother, we don't get on but i do try to remain civil with her.

As for the child, i do my absolute best for her.

In relation to having more kids, if i work and pay for them where is the issue?

The council house issue was already covered before, i am sick of going around in circles on that one, i got mortgage approval but we have decided to put that on hold and revisit it in 2018 in the hope of getting an increased mortgage, where we are at present wouldn't be financially viable to buy.

In relation to 'breeding' with my ex, i was young and stupid and learned valuable lessons in life from it.

May we please move away from discussing me as i tried to do in the previous post?

Thank you :)
    You're missing the point. You're the one volunteering all this personal information. You've made this thread the Cork Truck Driver show, nobody else. I personally don't care about your personal background, it's irrelevant but it boils my pi55 seeing people running down their child's other parent like they had no hand act nor part in the child actually being created with the person they're running down.

You're approved for a mortgage to buy a council house heavily subsidised by the government i.e. The taxpayers. You're relying on state assistance. You're in the same boat as the people you're belittling.

You're missing the point. You're the one volunteering all this personal information. You've made this thread the Cork Truck Driver show, nobody else. I personally don't care about your personal background, it's irrelevant but it boils my pi55 seeing people running down their child's other parent like they had no hand act nor part in the child actually being created with the person they're running down.

You're approved for a mortgage to buy a council house heavily subsidised by the government i.e. The taxpayers. You're relying on state assistance. You're in the same boat as the people you're belittling.

I already told you to PM me if you wish to direct your ire at me.

I already told you to PM me if you wish to direct your ire at me.
    Sorry I missed the mod instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

CTD do you think it's reasonable to continue procreating while the state is housing one of your kids?

CTD do you think it's reasonable to continue procreating while the state is housing one of your kids?
    The state is housing all his kids

The state is housing all his kids

Oh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't we should be personalizing the topic , CTD has been probably too honest around the subject but he has given an honest insight to his own experiences .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I don't we should be personalizing the topic , CTD has been probably too honest around the subject but he has given an honest insight to his own experiences .

While he posts link after link to people (even in other countries) who dare to hope for council housing when he is living in council housing himself. Well and truly pulled the ladder up behind him. One rule for him and another for the rest. His own extenuating circumstances should apparently be considered but not those of other people seeking state support- its purely black and white in those cases.

However i do agree with you, it shouldnt be personalised. CTD is the one constantly making it about his own situation and his ex though tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Bring this back on topic please, folks, or it will be wound up. You've made your points to and about the poster, now move it along.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice.

While he posts link after link to people (even in other countries) who dare to hope for council housing when he is living in council housing himself. Well and truly pulled the ladder up behind him. One rule for him and another for the rest. His own extenuating circumstances should apparently be considered but not those of other people seeking state support- its purely black and white in those cases.

However i do agree with you, it shouldnt be personalised. CTD is the one constantly making it about his own situation and his ex though tbf.

And to be very honest with you I haven't been following his posts much so I'm really only commenting on what I've seen today and yesterday.
    From my own experiences working in homeless services accessing a council property now is almost impossible.

• Advertisement

And to be very honest with you I haven't been following his posts much so I'm really only commenting on what I've seen today and yesterday.
    From my own experiences working in homeless services accessing a council property now is almost impossible.

Yep its near impossible for most people. But there has been some high profile cases in the media who were given council housing after kicking up a fuss so its not surprising that people go to the media in the hope of the same happening for them. Unfortunately it is rarely the genuine cases that do so. The genuine cases who truly deserve and require assistance rarely have their voices heard in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Since when do immigrant people, who don't like the house they get, get the opportunity to move, while other families are stuck in B&B's with NO house???

They don't.

There must have been something very wrong with the house where they were for the council to be allowing a transfer. Hopefully the council can find someoneelse who's desperate enough to take it.

The woman in the BnB who killed herself had been offered a house

Yep its near impossible for most people. But there has been some high profile cases in the media who were given council housing after kicking up a fuss so its not surprising that people go to the media in the hope of the same happening for them. Unfortunately it is rarely the genuine cases that do so. The genuine cases who truly deserve and require assistance rarely have their voices heard in my experience.

I think the ones in media were given housing association properties, I'm pretty certain one the recent ones was housed through focus or novas.

It's really unusual for someone to get directly into a council property unless your years waiting.
    Again I have to be honest I deal directly with homeless .

I think the ones in media were given housing association properties, I'm pretty certain one the recent ones was housed through focus or novas.

It's really unusual for someone to get directly into a council property unless your years waiting.

The people going to the media have been waiting years. This woman in op was 12 years on it. Erica Flemming for example, and another woman who was on the same show.

Now you could argue that they would have been close to receiving it regardless of the media attention but people dont view it that way, they see that the media attention led to the person getting their house so they try the same.

I would have a lot of dealings with homeless agencies and county councils in the course of my own work too. And its frustrating to say the least, i wouldnt be able to do that work day in day out. I am not saying those who go to the media get what they are asking for, more that it looks like others have, so we see more and more people doing the same in the hope that they will too. But its never the genuine cases,it is those chancing their arm, in questionable circunstances, which perpetuates the stereotypes and takes away from those genuinely in need.

The people going to the media have been waiting years. This woman in op was 12 years on it. Erica Flemming for example, and another woman who was on the same show.

Now you could argue that they would have been close to receiving it regardless of the media attention but people dont view it that way, they see that the media attention led to the person getting their house so they try the same.

I would have a lot of dealings with homeless agencies and county councils in the course of my own work too. And its frustrating to say the least, i wouldnt be able to do that work day in day out. I am not saying those who go to the media get what they are asking for, more that it looks like others have, so we see more and more people doing the same in the hope that they will too. But its never the genuine cases,it is those chancing their arm, in questionable circunstances, which perpetuates the stereotypes and takes away from those genuinely in need.

Yeah I get what you're saying.
    I tend to switch off when I see someone going to the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

The one in the UK a week or so back saying how great the kids' dad was "coming round 3-4 times a week."

Yeah can come round to get his oats but can't house the kids he made ???

The one in the UK a week or so back saying how great the kids' dad was "coming round 3-4 times a week."

I would have thought that his one bedroom apartment would be better than living in one bedroom at her mums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I would have thought that his one bedroom apartment would be better than living in one bedroom at her mums.

I suspect there's a reason why they're not living there.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I agree in principal re the welfare state issues but I'm not sure what the solution is...

It's a great soundbite but how would you go about enforcing that in practice? Short of legalising forced contraception or making "surplus" kids wards of state and up for adoption or fostering...which create their own extremely expensive (both in practical terms and legal) headaches.

The problem is the constant balancing act between being a responsible, compassionate society and being the kind of society which ostracises the poorest and most vulnerable as way of some kind of morality pushing punishment which sees single mothers and babies hungry and homeless because the state has washed their hands of them. Poverty doesn't stop people having children, a quick look at any third world country will show you that - and then there's the hypocrisy issue; a country can't claim to care so much about babies that you have laws preventing abortion and then effectively have state abandonment of the same babies as soon as they are born...

Because that's how society works. Because the Irish constitution gives special protections to the family. Because Ireland historically disapproves of contraception and chooses to make abortion illegal thus encouraging traditionally large families. Because 1 in 6 here have significant literacy issues which affects education and thus unemployment. Because childcare is horrifically expensive, there is little to no regular public transport outwith big cities, there is a kind of quasi-private education and health service which are both expensive and that makes low paying jobs which require little training/education less appealing than staying on benefits - and that's before you get to the huge social issues around generational unemployment, drug and substance abuse and mental health issues. .

We have a culture here of people leeching off the state. Its an absolute piss take. Im not talking about people who work and lose there job. Im talking about people who have no interest in working or contributing to society getting a free pass. Say theres a couple with two kids, both are on the dole and getting rent allowance, medical cards etc. If they decide on having another child they should pay for the child, themselves by working. What sort of ethics is that to pass on to the next generation, neither parent working, living off the state, when theres plenty of work there at the minute, but some people have the mentality of, ah just have a few kids, get a gaf off the social, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

^^^^a higher rate of job seekers for those who have made prsi contributions (as suggested at the FG Ard fheis yesterday) would at least go some way to incentivising work vs not working. The current situation where person A having never contributed a cent in prsi or usc receives the same dole as person B who has been working for 20 years is deeply immoral.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement