Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

No different to many in the private rental market then?

I lived in several private residences over the years and they were diabolical.

The council houses, well the old ones at least, are far from up to scratch, but they are better than many in the private sector, now more so than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If these properties were owner occupied could the same be said? Or would they get off their butts and clean the gaff?
    Most of the stuff I read in the article, like mould, sewage issues etc are down to the user and not the landlord, and attributable to lack of due care imo.

Mould: Use the heating more and or vent the room. If the vent is blocked notify LL to have it cleared as it's a health issue.

Sewage issues: LL should have been notified as sewage issue is gradually onset so the tenant would notice it getting worse.

in private tenancies the above would be expected of the tenant to (a) take minor preventative actions and (b) notify landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No different to many in the private rental market then?

It's similar in both, at least, in the comparable market segments (lower end of private rental sector and the public rental sectors (social housing, HAP, rent allowance)
    I lived in several private residences over the years and they were diabolical.

The council houses, well the old ones at least, are far from up to scratch, but they are better than many in the private sector, now more so than ever.
    +1
    Generally council houses (especially older ones from the 80's and back) are actually very well built, better than a lot of newer private estate houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

ELM327 wrote: »
    Generally council houses (especially older ones from the 80's and back) are actually very well built, better than a lot of newer private estate houses.

Plenty of council houses from the 70s and 80s are actually build from cavity blocks and they are a nightmare to heat and insulate since this is an almost lethal form of building that brings a lot of problems.
    I live in an ex council house that was build in the 80's and it takes a lot of effort and money to get this to a decent standard. Cavity blocks are indeed a huge factor when mould occurs and dampness is rising.

It's shocking to think that a lot of houses are build in such a way.

LirW wrote: »
    Plenty of council houses from the 70s and 80s are actually build from cavity blocks and they are a nightmare to heat and insulate since this is an almost lethal form of building that brings a lot of problems.
    I live in an ex council house that was build in the 80's and it takes a lot of effort and money to get this to a decent standard. Cavity blocks are indeed a huge factor when mould occurs and dampness is rising.

It's shocking to think that a lot of houses are build in such a way.

My own place is built of cavity blocks.

It was insulated a few years ago.

When the heating is on the place is like a sauna.

The interior walls are all only plaster boards.

My brother's ex's house is from the 60's, a council house also, and the interior walls were solid block.

We had some job renovating it with the amount of dust etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The combination of cavity blocks and drylining can cause a huge mould problem down the line.

I found a really great article about that in relation to health issues like Asthma, since I've been working in that field.

http://www.josephlittlearchitects.com/articles/breaking-mould-1-study-condensation-single-leaf-concrete-wall-upgrades
    It comes as a surprise to many people, even those within the Industry, that every drylined wall buildup, no matter how good, will result in vapour condensing inside it every Winter. This is because the insulation isolates the masonry wall so that its room-face cannot warm as before and consequently becomes more uniformly cool and also wetter [3]. This is typically where the most extreme temperature change takes place and vapour condenses.

It evaluates a nation-wide problem really well.

Wrong maintenance is a contributor to mould but if you're living in a house that was built with the wrong materials - a huge number of houses in the country are - you can find yourself fighting rising dampness and mould with a bit of bad luck.
    So if you already have a house that is in the wrong area, of poor quality and has the wrong insulation installed already, there's literally nothing you can do as a tenant.

24 year old mother of 4 is calling on the council to house her as she is in 1 bedroom with her kids in her mother's residence.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/young-mum-forced-live-tiny-11488078

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

24 year old mother of 4 is calling on the council to house her as she is in 1 bedroom with her kids in her mother's residence.

Its in Edinburgh, how is it relevant to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

?

What has the situation is Scotland got to do with this?

?

What has the situation is Scotland got to do with this?

Similar stories and both in the common travel area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Similar stories and both in the common travel area.

Thats some reach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You mean to say there is "homeless" people in other countries?

Quick goolge search shows every country in the world has homeless people.

Some expectation put on leos shoulders to come up with a solution to a worldwide problem.

But we do love a good whinge moan and blame game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

"Before I moved in, my relationship with my mum was really good. Now it is really strained.
    I'm not surprised.

Anyone see your own on the 6 o clock news there?

Mother of 5 in limerick just got a house after been in a hotel.

She has a 3 WEEK old baby!!!!

The mind just doesn't boggle anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Anyone see your own on the 6 o clock news there?

Mother of 5 in limerick just got a house after been in a hotel.

She has a 3 WEEK old baby!!!!

The mind just doesn't boggle anymore.

An early Christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have 4 kids and the state has to house me. Better have another kid.

I have 4 kids and the state has to house me. Better have another kid.

One of her kids had to leave the hotel as only 5 children allowed in room.

Real responsible parenting there, sound job.

Rumour going round here that about dozen Syrians in Ballaghaderreen are also pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What do yous suggest the state do??

Take the children off them like olden days and give em to industrial schools etc?

That ended well the last time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Donal55 wrote: »
    Rumour going round here that about dozen Syrians in Ballaghaderreen are also pregnant.

The cheek of them coming over here RIDING.

I bet you anything those Syrians will be working given the chance. It's the scrounging Paddys that annoy me.

• Advertisement

What do yous suggest the state do??

Take the children off them like olden days and give em to industrial schools etc?

That ended well the last time :rolleyes:

Im sorry I didn't realise there is industrial schools still open?

Where are they?

baldbear wrote: »
    The cheek of them coming over here RIDING.

I bet you anything those Syrians will be working given the chance. It's the scrounging Paddys that annoy me.

I was equating the point that some bird from Limerick living in a hotel gives birth and fire and brimstone is hailed down on her.

100 miles up the road in Balla 14 birds from Syria living in a hotel are pregnant and yet you ask that they should be 'given a chance'.

Why would you not give the one from Limerick the same credence?

Im sorry I didn't realise there is industrial schools still open?

Where are they?

Well just as suspected.....no solutions to offer :rolleyes:....I showed yous the only historic tactic used to solve what yous bemoan about

And you don't appear to have not 1 single solution to solve this woman's situation.....why do I bother engage this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is it not normal to call out irresponsible anti social behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well just as suspected.....no solutions to offer :rolleyes:....I showed yous the only historic tactic used to solve what yous bemoan about

And you don't appear to have not 1 single solution to solve this woman's situation.....why do I bother engage this nonsense

Offer women €5k to get their tubes tied after they’ve had 2/3 kids. Povvers will take the short term view and snap that up. Would save the country a fortune in the long run.

Offer women €5k to get their tubes tied after they’ve had 2/3 kids. Povvers will take the short term view and snap that up. Would save the country a fortune in the long run.

Tbh I do think this should be offered to everyone once they turn 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Tbh I do think this should be offered to everyone once they turn 18

Yeah, could be. People living in hotels and churning out kids don’t generally plan long term.

Are you telling me there is no places for kids who need to be removed from families nowadays?

That if a child is been neglected they have to remain with the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any mention of a husband/partner/father in the Limerick story.

That is NEVER asked or mentioned in dispatches.

• Advertisement

Any mention of a husband/partner/father in the Limerick story.

That is NEVER asked or mentioned in dispatches.

Of course not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement