Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Country would make you laugh.

Ranting and raving everyday about homelessness but just don't put them near me if you're trying to fix it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/carmans-hall-application-3641033-Oct2017/

I think deep down we are all the same. Give out about everything but if a solution is found near us, forget it. Go to court, object, be a NIMBY!

I actually don't blame people for objecting. These shelters are far too concentrated in the inner city, just like the drug treatment centres are, and we know he results of that on the LUAS and in the city centre.

Time to fight back and get something for our tax contributions I say!

There is plenty of undeveloped room around the rim of the M50. What's wrong with building a few homeless shelters there? Oh I suppose those in need require a shop, a pub, the bookies, an off license, a bus stop and all the rest of it.

I am becoming very angry at the way our lives are being trampled upon by those who will never have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

Yes, another rant from me, but I am OK, I just have an oul rant now and then. And breathe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That there is a homeless crisis?

Simple there isn't a homeless crisis.

A tiny tiny tiny percentage are sleeping rough through choice.

There is help and a bed for anyone who wants it.

No crisis just people choosing whether they want to live on the streets or with a roof over their head.

Yeah you've spewed this before. I was just wondering how that link was related to your ramblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah you've spewed this before. I was just wondering how that link was related to your ramblings.

Just found it interesting that's all.

Everyone thinks their so noble and caring.

When it's put to them to actually help.

They run a mile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

But you do understand that many people get everything for nothing don't you? That is a fact.

As I say you continue to copy and paste all day.

Just found it interesting that's all.

Everyone thinks their so noble and caring.

When it's put to them to actually help.

They run a mile.

I highly doubt those complaining ARE the same people who actually care and want to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pilly wrote: »
    As I say you continue to copy and paste all day.

No need for that at all.

You could very easily have chosen to put me on ignore.

I must have pushed some buttons there!

Anyway, no hard feelings, just keep posting without being personal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

No crisis just people choosing whether they want to live on the streets or with a roof over their head.

Most people sleeping rough don't do it by choice as you say it.
    Many of them aren't able to look after themselves due to addiction or severe mental health issues. In that case you simply don't know what's the best for yourself, you are not able to look after yourself properly - most likely the reason why they ended there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Eh, that those who choose not to work and claim benefits get everything for free really.

Think about it. They get the benefits, and from that have to pay the rent. Who pays the benefits for them? Yep got it in one.

So it is all free for that cohort really. Isn't it? All that happens is that their benefits are reduced by the amount of taxpayer funded rent they pay.

What do you not understand about that?

it's not free. if you work for someone, then that someone has given you the money to buy your house, so therefore it's effectively free for you and the employer paid for it. now as we know, it's silly logic that. so is the logic that a house is free because someone pays the rent from wellfare. instead of an employer paying someone, we are all paying them.

incorrect. while yes there are some who are on the streets either by choice or due to addiction or mental health issues, the fact is there are people without some sort of a roof over their head and are on the streets not by choice. yes there are some beds but not enough and in many cases those facilities aren't safe.
    I think deep down we are all the same. Give out about everything but if a solution is found near us, forget it. Go to court, object, be a NIMBY!

I actually don't blame people for objecting. These shelters are far too concentrated in the inner city, just like the drug treatment centres are, and we know he results of that on the LUAS and in the city centre.

Time to fight back and get something for our tax contributions I say!

There is plenty of undeveloped room around the rim of the M50. What's wrong with building a few homeless shelters there? Oh I suppose those in need require a shop, a pub, the bookies, an off license, a bus stop and all the rest of it.

I am becoming very angry at the way our lives are being trampled upon by those who will never have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

Yes, another rant from me, but I am OK, I just have an oul rant now and then. And breathe.....

time to fight back against what? what are you not getting for your tax contributions? do you think education, health, roads etc is paid for by magic money or something? no, we get them for our tax contributions. the undeveloped room around the m50 is for other profitable ventures, it's not suitable for building homeless accommodation. your life isn't being trampled upon by anyone.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

it's not free. if you work for someone, then that someone has given you the money to buy your house, so therefore it's effectively free for you and the employer paid for it. now as we know, it's silly logic that. so is the logic that a house is free because someone pays the rent from wellfare. instead of an employer paying someone, we are all paying them.

Had to read that twice. I agree with your logic - workers pay taxes and these taxes are used to pay for the rent and living costs of the scum and the filth.
    Living costs is being too kind , what I really mean is keep the long term unemployed in drugs,booze, fags, chip frying oil, bingo night etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Is he seriously equating getting up and going to work and EARNING a salary with sirt8ng on your lazy ar*e and being HANDED money???

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

Is he seriously equating getting up and going to work and EARNING a salary with sirt8ng on your lazy ar*e and being HANDED money???

Jesus wept.

He is and he does not even know he is. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

hawkelady wrote: »
    IT is free .... their rent is 10% of their income ( which is the free money they get for not working ) equals 18.80 euro per week .. so the free income they get pays for their rent .. = free rent
    Get it ?

I am a HAP tenant aged 51, after paying tax, vat, prsi, employers contributions in varying stages over 30 years I could not afford the rent as a single parent and ended up in the system.

Over the years my tax contributions have paid for quite a few boardsies to go to primary school, secondary school, college and university.

I am not looking for a social house or a "free house" but yes I would like to have a roof over my children's heads.

The system did what it was designed for, it picked me up and used your taxes for 3 years (10% of my 30 years contributions) to upskill me to degree level and get me back working and out of the system.

My 18 year old son has started his medical degree which means his high tax contributions in future will pay for your pension.

Who knows what my 12 year old daughter will choose as a career choice but she does know what it is like to live in 1 room with her mother and brother so takes nothing for granted.

Will you please stop assuming that all people on he social housing list are scumbags, it is a requirement to sign on the list, and a requirement of the HAP system is that you give up your right to a council house.

I thank you all for supporting me in my HAP house and do hope that you all used my tax money during your student years to study hard and appreciate what I was doing for you rather than going on the p**s for 4 years subsidised by my very hard earned money.

And before you all jump in to have a go at me, think about it, one day it could be you who is a bit over the hill and finds themselves in trouble but works and works to get out of it but needs a helping hand, that is why we have a welfare system we contribute to.

hawkelady wrote: »
    IT is free .... their rent is 10% of their income ( which is the free money they get for not working ) equals 18.80 euro per week .. so the free income they get pays for their rent .. = free rent
    Get it ?

I am a HAP tenant aged 51, after paying tax, vat, prsi, employers contributions in varying stages over 30 years I could not afford the rent as a single parent and ended up in the system.

Over the years my tax contributions have paid for quite a few boardsies to go to primary school, secondary school, college and university.

I am not looking for a social house or a "free house" but yes I would like to have a roof over my children's heads.

The system did what it was designed for, it picked me up and used your taxes for 3 years (10% of my 30 years contributions) to upskill me to degree level and get me back working and out of the system.

My 18 year old son has started his medical degree which means his high tax contributions in future will pay for your pension.

Who knows what my 12 year old daughter will choose as a career choice but she does know what it is like to live in 1 room with her mother and brother so takes nothing for granted.

Will you please stop assuming that all people on he social housing list are scumbags, it is a requirement to sign on the list, and a requirement of the HAP system is that you give up your right to a council house.

I thank you all for supporting me in my HAP house and do hope that you all used my tax money during your student years to study hard and appreciate what I was doing for you rather than going on the p**s for 4 years subsidised by my very hard earned money.

And before you all jump in to have a go at me, think about it, one day it could be you who is a bit over the hill and finds themselves in trouble but works and works to get out of it but needs a helping hand, that is why we have a welfare system we contribute to.

You are EXACTLY the sort of recipient that should be given support. Good luck to your son. I work with students and it's a rough go at medical school but if he works hard - and it sounds like he had a good start and has his head on straight - he'll be fine.

if you are now working why are you still receiving HAP?
    Also can you give us a truthful breakdown of all you and your family have received regards dole, free rent, medical cards, college fees and maintenance grants etc etc while you have been unemployed.
    Has being unemployed worked in your favour financially especially with your son going for medicine?
    I would like to know more details regards your story above, the devil is in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard a woman on RTE Radio 1 Budget special the other day say she was on the housing list in Limerick for 21 years! 21!!

Makes the girl that started this thread look like a lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Also can you give us a truthful breakdown of all you and your family have received regards dole, free rent, medical cards, college fees and maintenance grants etc etc while you have been unemployed.
    Has being unemployed worked in your favour financially especially with your son going for medicine?
    I would like to know more details regards your story above, the devil is in the detail.

Honestly I think the poster will do F all giving strangers on the internet a breakdown of their personal spendings, welfare payments over the years and income just so someone can desperately prove a point.
    I feel the poster, if you at some point end up in the unfortunate situation to rely on welfare it's difficult enough because in the end it eats your self-esteem when you have goals and want the best life for your kids.
    I think they haven't been better off on welfare, otherwise they wouldn't have skilled up and did everything so the children have a good accommodation.
    It seems like it's a single parent with two children on HAP, not a single parent in a council house with a few welfare checks running around. There is a massive difference. If your marriage ends in divorce and one parent f's off, you can easily find yourself in a massive predicament as the primary carer of the children, especially if there aren't any marital assets.

I know how it is being in need of support and while you can make end meet, it's a lot more comfortable having an actual income and your self worth benefits massively from it and you set a good example for your children.

EDIT: You also qualify for social housing and HAP on a low income as single parent - not only when you're unemployed - with dependents which is probably the case here. For HAP you have to go on the social housing list.

Why so you can call him scum and filth again? Your ilk have your unrealistic bias and are just looking for an excuse to justify it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why so you can call him scum and filth again? Your ilk have your unrealistic bias and are just looking for an excuse to justify it.

I know we've not seen eye to eye on this issue but I think the post you replied to was out of line.

This woman was precisely the person the welfare system was created for - works hard, pays in, falls on hard times, gets help.

I reiterate - I do not hate people on benefits. I hate people abusing the system. Is the system wrong ? Yes. But that doesn't excuse the people who abuse it.

Laughable to hear Labour today say "welfare recipients are at the back of the queue". Should go into comedy with that kind of gold level material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I will never understand why so many people think it's acceptable to sit on their laurels all day, making no effort to get anywhere in life, and demand that the government had them everything on a silver platter with no cost to themselves.

Sorry folks but that's not the way the world works unless you have a genuine reason why you cannot work and earn your way in life.

If some-one is on a housing list for as long as 12 years it's not because no-one tried to help her, it's more likely because she didn't accept help when it was offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I will never understand why so many people think it's acceptable to sit on their laurels all day, making no effort to get anywhere in life, and demand that the government had them everything on a silver platter with no cost to themselves.

Sorry folks but that's not the way the world works unless you have a genuine reason why you cannot work and earn your way in life.

If some-one is on a housing list for as long as 12 years it's not because no-one tried to help her, it's more likely because she didn't accept help when it was offered.

I mentioned it somewhere else that when I was in my local TD’s office last Monday a woman was there for her daughter who was about 20 years on the housing list.

She even went to the ombudsman as she said her daughter was entitled to her house just like the mother and sister.
    The word “entitled” is one word that gets on my goat.

I hear it regularly here from one family who have never worked a day in their lives, legitimately at least.

• Advertisement

I mentioned it somewhere else that when I was in my local TD’s office last Monday a woman was there for her daughter who was about 20 years on the housing list.

She even went to the ombudsman as she said her daughter was entitled to her house just like the mother and sister.
    The word “entitled” is one word that gets on my goat.

I hear it regularly here from one family who have never worked a day in their lives, legitimately at least.

And may I say on reading your story that again, yours is the kind of situation that should be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

And may I say on reading your story that again, yours is the kind of situation that should be helped.

Thank you Sir/Madam

(I don’t know which you are)

Thank you Sir/Madam

(I don’t know which you are)

Madam but that sounds way too posh lol!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Can I ask how many children you have? How much childrens allowance you've received over the years for them? Who paid for their education?

How many times have you been in hospital? Who paid for your care?

I could go on and on.

How dare you demand any details off anyone let alone a stranger on the internet.

You are the very definition of the names you have projected onto others.

Can I ask how many children you have? How much childrens allowance you've received over the years for them? Who paid for their education?

I could go on and on.

How dare you demand any details off anyone let alone a stranger on the internet.

As with a previous poster, we may not be on the same page on this issue but i agree with you.

No one has ever said there is anything wrong with receiving help when needed when you have tried to support yourself and your family.

The issue has always been with the feckless wastes of space that seem to be in the media every day whining about their "forever home".

Picking on a lady such as this is uncalled for.

I could go on and on.

Oh and to the poster who asked - no, being on HAP or rent allowance or anything like that has ZERO to do with getting on a medical degree programme.

Perhaps it might influence loans, grants or scholarships but it won't help get someone on a college course. Shocking thing to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The people sleeping rough are not there by choice, on most given nights there aren't enough beds for those outside irregardless of what is reported in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The people sleeping rough are not there by choice, on most given nights there aren't enough beds for those outside irregardless of what is reported in the news.

So, you are saying that the news is wrong in relation to the number of beds available ?

That cuts both ways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm not saying there's enough beds available every night but remember the person has to decide whether to stay in a bed (sober) or sleep rough (get high/drunk). Their addiction usually wins.

• Advertisement

I could go on and on.

How dare you ask me that. How dare you ask me to justify my views.
    You demand information on my health and my sexuality.
    Shame. Shame.

Being serious my favourite line and it fits in well without the discussion here.
    Burn them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement