Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rawn wrote: »
    I'm not saying there's enough beds available every night but remember the person has to decide whether to stay in a bed (sober) or sleep rough (get high/drunk). Their addiction usually wins.

That's not correct and actually touches on something I've been saying for a while. Some of the hostels don't allow people in until around 11pm and it doesn't matter if they are under the influence. I believe we need more 'dry' hostels to cater for those that are choosing to sleep on the streets because they fear (rightly or wrongly) being stolen from or having to deal with alcoholics or drug addicts in the hostels

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dats not a furevar home joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dats not a furevar home joe!
    Concentration camps with bunk beds be better right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’d live in one of them no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I wonder how these would go down with our homeless?

I'd love one of those!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Concentration camps with bunk beds be better right?

So our options are forever homes or mass murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Its small but functional. If I was homeless I'd love something like that!

Its small but functional. If I was homeless I'd love something like that!

It's great for a single person and they are the ones quite often forgotten about in homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Tbh there's many single professionals in Dublin that would love one of these instead of house sharing! That's all you need til you save enough for your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Can someone post a screen capture? I'm not clicking on a Heil link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

An eviction for non payment of rent totalling €6000 in a cork city council house that caused uproar here yesterday

https://m.facebook.com/corksredfm/posts/10155047141947060

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

An eviction for non payment of rent totalling €6000 in a cork city council house that caused uproar here yesterday

He doesn't seem to be getting much support from that Facebook link!
    Was he turfed out?

He doesn't seem to be getting much support from that Facebook link!
    Was he turfed out?

Apart from those pictured and a handful of others, he has no support at all, I have no idea if he was kicked out though. I’ll be in that area later so might take a spin by.

For anyone who doesn’t know it, the house itself is down the back of a cul de sac by the Fairfield.

There was a lane way next to it but that was closed off in recent years.

That general area is where I grew up.

Don’t know the guy in question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Currently 50+ million owed across the country from social housing rents and arrears .

Here in my local authorities area 7.7 million is currently owed in unpaid rents half the current tenancies are in serious arrears

Gatling wrote: »
    Currently 50+ million owed across the country from social housing rents and arrears .

Here in local authorities area 7.7 million is currently owed in unpaid rents half the current tenancies are in serious arrears

€50 million + :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Here in local authorities area 7.7 million is currently owed in unpaid rents half the current tenancies are in serious arrears

Yep.

Sure we can't talk about that especially in the media.

Doesn't suit the agenda.

Yep.

Sure we can't talk about that especially in the media.

Doesn't suit the agenda.

There were figures quoted here yesterday that some houses are 5 figures in debt and remain in the properties.

This and depression were yer man’s excuses for not paying, partly at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Jaysus the comments says the rent was 28 quid a week! :eek:

6k arrears, he must owe years of rent.

I wonder did he get chucked out, theyd hardly go through with it would they?

Jaysus the comments says the rent was 28 quid a week! :eek:

6k arrears, he must owe years of rent.

I wonder did he get chucked out, theyd hardly go through with it would they?

Yeah €28 a week it was.

Works out at 4 years straight without rent.

Oh they’d go through with it alright.

Many a time I seen it.

This place is pro dominantly social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Works out at 4 years straight without rent.

In the comments, a friend of his states that the council did not review his rent for years, then when they did they backdated arrears for 4 years, so to repay it his weekly rent would go from 28 to 100 and he said no. (Not condoning that).

A few others in the comments have said they had similar experiences with the council.

Then again, the onus is on them to inform the council in any change in payments so the rent can be adjusted.

Also, the council tend to be very accommodating once you communicate with them. My dad lives in a council house and a few years ago he got an eviction notice in the door, completely out of the blue. We went straight down to the council and what we figured happened was that after the last review my dad forgot to increase the standing order so was under paying for years without realizing. They were so lovely about it, they just said if we put the SO up to the correct amount + 20e they would cancel the eviction notice. My dad never decreased the SO since then so he's actually 100's in credit with them in case it happens again. Yer man in the article evidently just doesn't want to pay the arrears at all and is hoping the media attention will force them to cancel them AND let them stay in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Chunk of change alright but then again compared to the bank bailout it's peanuts and that's not even mentioning the Apple money which this government is actively fighting not to get.

:mad: Some shower of gangsters in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Chunk of change alright but then again compared to the bank bailout it's peanuts and that's not even mentioning the Apple money which this government is actively fighting not to get.

Bank bailout, is that still a reason to justify abuse fraud and deception?
    It's 10 years ago soon. How long can we cling to that?

It's like people claiming to be out of work due to the recession. The recession was 2008/9-2012/13. It's long since ended and the recovery has long since begun.

rawn wrote: »
    In the comments, a friend of his states that the council did not review his rent for years, then when they did they backdated arrears for 4 years, so to repay it his weekly rent would go from 28 to 100 and he said no. (Not condoning that).

A few others in the comments have said they had similar experiences with the council.

Then again, the onus is on them to inform the council in any change in payments so the rent can be adjusted.

Also, the council tend to be very accommodating once you communicate with them. My dad lives in a council house and a few years ago he got an eviction notice in the door, completely out of the blue. We went straight down to the council and what we figured happened was that after the last review my dad forgot to increase the standing order so was under paying for years without realizing. They were so lovely about it, they just said if we put the SO up to the correct amount + 20e they would cancel the eviction notice. My dad never decreased the SO since then so he's actually 100's in credit with them in case it happens again. Yer man in the article evidently just doesn't want to pay the arrears at all and is hoping the media attention will force them to cancel them AND let them stay in the house.

That's the current position i'm in.

Whatever about anything else in life, the rent/mortgage is always the first thing to be paid.

The excuse 'Sure the council didn't contact us boy' is not valid.

Mental health problems can't be used as a reason for not paying either.

I have a long history of mental health problems myself that have subsided in recent years thankfully,but i still pay the feckin bills.

They don't employ as many locals around here as they make out.

Not unless the locals are fluent in eastern european languages amongst others.

You really do love spreading misery don't you?

Mod-Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

compared to the bank bailout it's peanuts and that's not even mentioning the Apple money which this government is actively fighting not to get.
    Nobody made that irrelevant comparision.

Ireland's social housing conditions have come to the attention of Europe.

http://www.thejournal.ie/social-housing-conditions-3659651-Oct2017/

If these properties were owner occupied could the same be said? Or would they get off their butts and clean the gaff?

• Advertisement

No different to many in the private rental market then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement