Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Wish I had a house for free.

we all would have loved a free house. however there is no such thing in ireland.

There is however houses where the rent is less than market value and the money you pay towards it is given to you, not earned by you so yes the house to you is effectively free as you do nothing to pay for it.

A pint might cost five euro but if I give you the money for it, ergo a free pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There is however houses where the rent is less than market value and the money you pay towards it is given to you, not earned by you so yes the house to you is effectively free as you do nothing to pay for it.

A pint might cost five euro but if I give you the money for it, ergo a free pint.

It's been explained to him 100 times before but he still won't accept it.

It's been explained to him 100 times before but he still won't accept it.

I thought one more might do the trick.

I'm an optimist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not free. no such thing as a free house in ireland. social tenants pay rent based on their income.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

it's not free. no such thing as a free house in ireland. social tenants pay rent based on their income.

And if their income is.... ah forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

IT is free .... their rent is 10% of their income ( which is the free money they get for not working ) equals 18.80 euro per week .. so the free income they get pays for their rent .. = free rent
    Get it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

It's is 'free' as it is paid for entirely from taxpayer provided funds (welfare).
    Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

hawkelady wrote: »
    IT is free .... their rent is 10% of their income ( which is the free money they get for not working ) equals 18.80 euro per week .. so the free income they get pays for their rent .. = free rent
    Get it ?

15% here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

By that logic, nothing is free. The air I breathe isn't free as I have to engage my lungs to use it.

What we can agree on, however, is that the social tenants get their house get their house by doing nothing other than filling out forms and going for a few interviews.

So, they don't "get their house for free".
    They do "get their house for doing nothing, zip, zilch, no work required, other than being an existing human being".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You really are so easily wound up. Do you really think repeating the same point over and over is going to have any effect on EOTR?

• Advertisement

Oh for God's sake!

Their "income" is unearned and provided by us for FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

If I give you a fiver, and tell you to run into the newsagents and buy yourself a packet of crisps and a 7up, and you do so, did you or me for the 7up and the crisps?

Foxhound38 wrote: »

If I give you a fiver, and tell you to run into the newsagents and buy yourself a packet of crisps and a 7up, and you do so, did you or me for the 7up and the crisps?

I imagine he'll have an answer for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Have you not just engaged him to purchase said commodities for himself...
    :p

astrofool wrote: »
    By that logic, nothing is free. The air I breathe isn't free as I have to engage my lungs to use it.

What we can agree on, however, is that the social tenants get their house get their house by doing nothing other than filling out forms and going for a few interviews.

They do "get their house for doing nothing, zip, zilch, no work required, other than being an existing human being".

The process from my time was:

Fill in forms.
    Housing officer assesses current abode.

Fast forward to the end process:

Letter in the door with offer of housing, please contact housing officer undersigned.

Did that, met with housing officer by appointment, discussed file, viewed house,accepted offer,documents signed and keys handed over.

From meeting the housing officer to moving in was 3 days in my case.

I think you are overlooking the fact that not all tenants of social housing are unemployed. By your reckoning, workers are getting free houses when in fact, they are charged rent according to their income.

I think you are overlooking the fact that not all tenants of social housing are unemployed. By your reckoning, workers are getting free houses when in fact, they are charged rent according to their income.

Another one not getting it.

Another one not getting it.

Not at all, MaryAnne made a very valid point. Not everyone in social housing is unemployed so therefore someone who's working is paying rent from the wages that they earn-what do you not understand about that?

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's not overlooking anything, the fact that some social tenants do something for the roof over their head does not mean that some other social tenants do nothing at all for the roof over their head.

All you're doing is muddying the waters again.

Some social tenants do nothing to get a house. <- this is the salient fact that no one, even eotr, can deny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pilly wrote: »
    Not at all, MaryAnne made a very valid point. Not everyone in social housing is unemployed so therefore someone who's working is paying rent from the wages that they earn-what do you not understand about that?

Eh, that those who choose not to work and claim benefits get everything for free really.

Think about it. They get the benefits, and from that have to pay the rent. Who pays the benefits for them? Yep got it in one.

So it is all free for that cohort really. Isn't it? All that happens is that their benefits are reduced by the amount of taxpayer funded rent they pay.

What do you not understand about that?

Eh, that those who choose not to work and claim benefits get everything for free really.

Think about it. They get the benefits, and from that have to pay the rent. Who pays the benefits for them? Yep got it in one.

So it is all free for that cohort really. Isn't it? All that happens is that their benefits are reduced by the amount of taxpayer funded rent they pay.

You're rant is very misplaced. Read my post again, I was backing up MaryAnne's assertion that people who work also live in social housing.

Where have I said that no-one gets a free house?

I've already said that there's absolutely no point in arguing that point with EOTR.

Again I was backing up MaryAnnes post, nothing to do with what your ranting about but feel free to copy and paste your above post all day.

You're rant is very misplaced. Read my post again, I was backing up MaryAnne's assertion that people who work also live in social housing.

I've already said that there's absolutely no point in arguing that point with EOTR.

Again I was backing up MaryAnnes post, nothing to do with what your ranting about but feel free to copy and paste your above post all day.

I'd love to have the luxury of being able to pay 15% of my salary as rent. However the landlord insists on 42.5%.

Perhaps I shouldn't have worked so hard and got a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh dear.

I think you doth protest too much. We are only ranting here and letting off steam, I wouldn't take anything too seriously or that personally myself.

But you do understand that many people get everything for nothing don't you? That is a fact.

But those of us who work and contribute to the pot pay for it all along with all our own living expenses.

When those who work get less than those who don't in a Budget there is something wrong IMO.

Oh dear.

I think you doth protest too much. We are only ranting here and letting off steam, I wouldn't take anything too seriously or that personally myself.

But you do understand that many people get everything for nothing don't you? That is a fact.

But those of us who work and contribute to the pot pay for it all along with all our own living expenses.

When those who work get less than those who don't in a Budget there is something wrong IMO.

I wish I could thank this more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

if FG gave the extra fiver as a sop to FF, have FF just fcuked over FG again...
    a lot people I know, of the getting up in the morning type, are well pished off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The budget was like a wet towel slap for everyone earning less than 40k really.

Also there's so very little done for working families, working single parents and the approach to subsidize childcare is so bad. The people that would really need it (working and struggling making ends meet) gain so very little out of the budget.
    In yesterdays Talk on RTE1 people said you'd have to see it like that that people in low income brackets pay less tax. That's all fine and good but you really care very little about the tax you pay when you still have to live a very frugal life because everything else is ridiculously expensive, especially childcare.
    It's the people that probably will never be able to save for a mortgage and won't get it anyway because they have kids but still work their arses off to pay their rent, car, Childcare. Been there, done that.

I see why this is so frustrating for many.

Country would make you laugh.

Ranting and raving everyday about homelessness but just don't put them near me if you're trying to fix it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/carmans-hall-application-3641033-Oct2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Country would make you laugh.

Ranting and raving everyday about homelessness but just don't put them near me if you're trying to fix it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/carmans-hall-application-3641033-Oct2017/

How does this advance your myth theory?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    How does this advance your myth theory?

That there is a homeless crisis?

Simple there isn't a homeless crisis.

A tiny tiny tiny percentage are sleeping rough through choice.

There is help and a bed for anyone who wants it.

No crisis just people choosing whether they want to live on the streets or with a roof over their head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement