Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jumpers are Coming 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

BumperD wrote: »
    Maybe not

Ah sugar! The only sure thing in placepot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Not looking good for MF apparently :(

Jaysus. Horrible to lose one like that. Connections will be sick. He had a big future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Fatal fall at the last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Not looking good for MF apparently :(

Oh no, seemed to go down badly alright. Is Russell ok?

Oh no, seemed to go down badly alright. Is Russell ok?

Russell walked away fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Feck.. That's horrible luck

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I know the big showdown being hyped this season is Douvan v Altior.
    But what about Min - is he fit again? Ricci will hardly want them going toe to toe, at least not until Cheltenham if they must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Piggery171

Terrible news for Elliot with mega fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

BumperD wrote: »
    It's September and in line with the timing of last year time to kick off this thread with only 4 weeks until the National Hunt season ramps up. The col. used to open this each year in bygone years so I'm stepping in again in his absence.

Last year we lead with an article on Thistlecrack who went on to dominate discussion for the season, unfortunately picking up an injury before the Gold Cup. Recent news is positive for him and no doubt more articles will begin appearing on our old favorites appearing after the summer break, stronger and fitter after a summer at grass.

The one standout for this season looks like Altior though I have not seen news on him.

Let's look forward to a great season ahead.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/hopes-high-for-supreme-hopeful/101781

Great to have the Jumps back. Looking forward to great season!

Horses Im looking forward to this year are
    Red Jack
    Disko
    Road to Respect
    Apples Jade
    Fayonagh
    Minella Rocco
    Finians Oscar

Faugheen and Douvan if they return this season also.

Would Like Sizing John to come back again in top form and take some great wins which Im sure he will.

Altior is very impressive but if you remember Charbel wasnt far off taking him only for his unfortunate fall at Chelts. He still won but Id be unsure of what trip hes capable of yet.

Finians Oscar entered in a Listed Novice Chase in Chepstow on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Finians Oscar entered in a Listed Novice Chase in Chepstow on Saturday

Looks a chaser. Power gave him a very poor ride when caught at punchestown

So Brian Cooper is now retained to ride all the Potts horses in England and Puppy Power to ride them in Ireland.

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

So Brian Cooper is now retained to ride all the Potts horses in England and Puppy Power to ride them in Ireland.

Interesting

I'm already looking forward to his impending sacking !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm already looking forward to his impending sacking !!

Why? What an incredibly ****ty to say about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Motivator wrote: »
    Why? What an incredibly ****ty to say about him.

Lighten up Snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Robbie Power must me scratching his head at this decision.

I'd have Power over Cooper every time.

It's down to Harrington having first preference on Power, maybe he doesn't want to be over and back all the time.. He'll keep the rides on the Irish based horses so it'll work or it won't

Potty would can puppy or Brian if he so chose if prior jockey tenure is anything to go by either won't be banking on job security with their role. Hopefully works out for cooper he's had a torrid time since he nearly lost his leg in that horrific break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Cooper's a better jockey by quite a bit for me, i'd rate Power as a very determined, likeable middle of the road jockey who hit a purple patch and had a fantastic season last year.
    On the otherhand i think Cooper has all the talent in the world but due to injuries and perhaps progressing so far early in his career may have took things for granted to an extent but losing the Gigginstown retainer could give him a kick in the belly to become a top 2 or 3 jockey which he has the ability to be.
    Big year ahead for the combination of Potts/Cooper i suspect.

Their both good jockeys and any jockey is only as good as the horse under him. He should have a good season and hopefully stay injury free.

id say their both happy the way things worked out for them but those Potts tend to drop and change jockeys and trainers in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Cooper isnt a patch of the jockey he was before the leg break.

Too many years of mediocrity since has cost him and its hard to see him getting back near his former level at this stage.

Had a read of Paul Nicholas's blog on befair for the review of last season and the season ahead. He doesn't seem to excited about the trainers title this year.
    Lacking grade 1 horses a bit he says.

Struggling to even get festival winners in march last 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I picked up the Racing Post 'Jumpers to Follow' 2017-18 season. An interesting read alright but a bit steep at €11.
    Some notes:
    W P Mullins - "Getabird could easily be a Supreme horse given what he showed us in bumpers. Bacardys, Battleford and C'est Jersey will go chasing. Lets Dance, Limini and Augusta Kate (impressive summer development) to target mares hurdles. Nichols Canyon and Penhill to target the Stayers Hurdle. Melon has matured over the summer and will stay hurdling. No plans made for Crack Mome, Cilaos Emery, Bellshill or Bunk off Early. Similar campaign to last year for Un De Sceaux. A mixed hurdles/chase campaign for Vroum Vroum. No decision on distance for Douvan yet. Faugheen looks superb and goes to the Morgiana or Hattons Grace. Min is in great shape."

Gordon Elliott: " Mares hurdle route for Apples Jade. Fayonagh schooling fantastic and targets the mares novice hurdle. Samcro could be anything in novice hurdles. Poli Roi will be better this season over a longer trip. The Storyteller remains exciting. Sutton Place goes novice chasing. Outlander starts in the JN Wine Chase. Mick Jazz will win a big handicap hurdle after being pulled from the County on the morning of. Blow by Blow and Lucky Pass are novice hurdlers."

Nicky Henderson: "Looking for an easy prep race before the King George for Might Bite. Altior starts in the Tingle Creek. L'ami Serge goes the Stayers Hurdle route. Very happy with novice hurdler Jenkins and hoping he's back this season but too soon to say. Charli Parcs is top class. Dame de Compagnie, Countister and Melangarie are McManus horses and are the most gorgeous mares Ive seen"

Others: "Defi Du Seuil is Champion Hurdle bound and starts at the Showcase meeting then Fighting Fifth" - Philip Hobbs
    "Yanworth goes novice chasing at two and half miles-plus. Sceau Royal also to go chasing" Alan King

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

So great to have the real racing back... Worcester today SPs of 1/2 1/2 1/6 2/5 a 1/3 in a handicap at Thurles. Great to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ground was a joke at Worcester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Match bets left right and centre. Not just today. The big races are great but generally pure ****e all the lower stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

I think in a few months time I'll be sick of the sight of Elliot, Mullins, giggy, jp and JOB winning everything. The smaller guy is finding it harder and harder to get a winner.
    Roll on the jumps etc...

Advertisement