Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jumpers are Coming 2017/2018

Options
  • 02-09-2017 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

It's September and in line with the timing of last year time to kick off this thread with only 4 weeks until the National Hunt season ramps up. The col. used to open this each year in bygone years so I'm stepping in again in his absence.

Last year we lead with an article on Thistlecrack who went on to dominate discussion for the season, unfortunately picking up an injury before the Gold Cup. Recent news is positive for him and no doubt more articles will begin appearing on our old favorites appearing after the summer break, stronger and fitter after a summer at grass.

The one standout for this season looks like Altior though I have not seen news on him.

Let's look forward to a great season ahead.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/hopes-high-for-supreme-hopeful/101781

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Massimo Tara

The arkle looks a bit of a minefield at the moment. With defi staying over hurdles looking at antepost now nothing really stands out apart from finians Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I missed this yesterday.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/winter-heroes/altior-has-douvan-in-his-sights-with-tingle-creek-the-first-stop/298989

Racing Post

Altior
    1 of 1
    By Keith Melrose UPDATED 1:29PM, SEP 1 2017

Some would argue Arkle winner Altior was the real champion chaser of 2016-17, with his unbeaten novice campaign including victories in open company in the Game Spirit at Newbury and Celebration Chase at Sandown. Here, trainer Nicky Henderson provides an update on the ante-post favourite for the Champion Chase

Where did he spend his summer?
    He was at Charlie and Tracy Vigors' place at Hillwood Stud. We have about 40 there over the summer and it's only ten minutes away, so we see quite a lot of the horses. He was in a field with about ten others, the same field that Bobs Worth and Sprinter used to spend their summers in. He's quite a relaxed horse, a good athlete, but he also knows how to unwind.

Did he summer well?
    He did, as did all of our horses. He had a good eight weeks up there and, because he's not in as much of a rush to come back as others, he was one of those who came back a bit later. He looks grand but we won't be doing much with him in September.

Where will we see him next?
    I'd imagine we'd go straight to the Tingle Creek. He's a big horse, but he's not impossible to get fit at home so we think we'll be able to get him to the track ready to run as well as he can. We could go to the Shloer, but it's quite close to the Tingle Creek and, having discussed it with the owners Christopher and Pat Pugh, that's one of the two major targets this year

What's his long-term objective?
    It would be the Champion Chase, I see no reason to go up in trip at the moment. He's beaten most of the two-milers around, with the exception of Douvan. Without knowing the plans for him, the only meeting between them before Cheltenham I could possibly imagine would be in the Tingle Creek. Altior's owners are very good, they take a real interest and understand how we me might try to get the best from the horse. The Pattern's the Pattern; before Cheltenham it's just a case of plotting your way around the same races and keeping the horses in good form. Then there's so much in the spring. He could go to Aintree, like Sprinter did, and there's also the Celebration Chase at Sandown, which is a very good prize now.

What excites you most about him?
    Probably his speed. People have talked about moving him up in trip, but I thought his best run last year was in the Celebration Chase, where some very quick horses couldn't go fast enough for him. He might need a little niggle into the bridle, but he's always been very talented and that's what gets you wondering how much more there is to come. There's also his jumping. It was really good in places and he has a lot of scope, but I did feel he was learning all the way through last season and, although we stepped him up a couple of times, novices really helped him come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jant2

My first Antepost bet is Red Jack for the supreme, trained by N Meade and owned by JP. Beat Debuchet and Le Richebourg well in a bumper and won a valuable bumper LTO. Looks an exciting prospect. 25/1 still available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Theres so many horses i can't wait to see, a list the length of my arm.
    I've been keeping an eye on the sales too to see whos buying what?

Can't wait for the season to be back in full flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Apples Jade surely wins the mares again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

My wishlist for the new season:
    Douvan v Might Bite v Thistlecrack v Sizing John in the King George.
    Killultagh Vic returns and wins the Ryanair.
    Faugheen wins the Champion doing hand stands.
    Our Duke wins the Gold Cup after winning the Hennessy at Leopardstown and Give Harrington back to back gold cups with different horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

madmoose wrote: »

I'm nearly positive I seen something about Apples Jade going novice chasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭jj mac

Really liked the look of samcro last season and think he will be one of the top novice hurdlers this coming season. Looks like a Neptune horse to me.

madmoose wrote: »

I'm nearly positive I seen something about Apples Jade going novice chasing!

Saw Elliotts article on Sporting Life and it said own sex again and the mares the obvious long term plan, didn't see chasing mentioned unless Gigg said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

My wishlist for the new season: Douvan v Might Bite v Thistlecrack v Sizing John in the King George. Killultagh Vic returns and wins the Ryanair. Faugheen wins the Champion doing hand stands. Our Duke wins the Gold Cup after winning the Hennessy at Leopardstown and Give Harrington back to back gold cups with different horses.

Killultagh Vic unlikely to be seen on a racecourse again sadly. Has left Mullins and gone back to original trainer up north. May run in a p2p if right at some stage but has two bad days for every good one by sounds of it which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 SlipTheField

My wishlist for the new season:
    Douvan v Might Bite v Thistlecrack v Sizing John in the King George.
    Killultagh Vic returns and wins the Ryanair.
    Faugheen wins the Champion doing hand stands.
    Our Duke wins the Gold Cup after winning the Hennessy at Leopardstown and Give Harrington back to back gold cups with different horses.
    Killultagh Vic has left Mullins yard. Is away back to C McBratney (original trainer). Unfortunately the horse is more or less done now because of injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Considering how well he was travelling when he came down in the Arkle, the 25/1 on Charbel for the QM is particularly tempting and may well be my first delve into the antepost market.

danganabu wrote: »
    Considering how well he was travelling when he came down in the Arkle, the 25/1 on Charbel for the QM is particularly tempting and may well be my first delve into the antepost market.

Think he will be seen over further myself and his Aintree run.

Messed the above up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

No Coneygree for the Kerry National. Plenty of interesting ones in there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Just watched Vautour's win in the JLT, followed by UDS pulling Ruby around the Ryanair. Now have absolutely no interest in flat racing. Roll on Hennessy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

aidankkk wrote:
    Just watched Vautour's win in the JLT, followed by UDS pulling Ruby around the Ryanair. Now have absolutely no interest in flat racing. Roll on Hennessy

Mullins biggest regret running him in Ryanair? I think so. Surely would have went close in the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Mistake made in not running Coneygree - he would have sluiced through that ground today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

James Bowen has joined Hendersons yard as conditional.. Surprised he didn't stay at Elliotts

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

On a different note, look where Willie Mullins old Simenon has gone to
    https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/258/belmont-park/2017-09-21/684971

Far cry from the days a Royal Ascot Doubles, agonizing 2nd in the Ascot Gold Cup and equally agonizing Lonsdale Cup 2nd and the brilliant run in the Melbourne Cup. There is another old jumper on this card too, a Group 1 winner even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Mullins biggest regret running him in Ryanair? I think so. Surely would have went close in the big one.

Has to be, has proven a monumental mistake. Is it a year now since he died? My favourite horse of them all
    Class

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Massimo Tara

How did everyone rate ballyandy over fences today? Solid win over Fagan who isn't no pushover

The horse jumped very well.. Only got close to one fence.. Decent start for me and he's not a slow animal so I'd say they'll go back to 2m with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'd step him up. Had to battle on heavy ground to beat Fagan who i think is an out and out stayer and could have a race like the Kim Muir on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Custom Cut

Needed every one of the 6 pounds he got from Fagan, I'll be very surprised if he's one of the top novices this season. Very entertaining race though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Fagan for the 4 miler

Jezki V Jers Girl Sunday

Hard to gague where Jezki is at this stage in its career

was a bit of superstar for 2/3 years but possibly past it now
    Will BG ride it? Never been beaten on it, which is some stat

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

geraghty is on jers girl. jezkis last 3 runs have been pretty poor

• Advertisement

Jezki was a better horse than Jers Girls will ever be, but I fear they will pass each other on the way down now.
    BG choosing JG tells us that, altho with weight allowances Jezki will go off Fav
    I love Jezki but could'nt be backing it anymore

Advertisement