Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jumpers are Coming 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Total Recall goes GC now, probably was always in the mind after the National weights were published and Ruby will want to ride the progressive chaser in the GC ahead of the regressing Djakadam and ahead of K Vic who will be running after a fall lto.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

madmoose wrote: »
    Total Recall goes GC now, probably was always in the mind after the National weights were published and Ruby will want to ride the progressive chaser in the GC ahead of the regressing Djakadam and ahead of K Vic who will be running after a fall lto.

Can see Ruby on KV personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Slattsy wrote:
    Can see Ruby on KV personally.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Ruby will ride KV

Matt Chapman made a pretty convincing argument that the GC is for plodders and the QMMC is the real classy race for chasers. He listed off the last 20 GC winners and KS aside the made out the majority were plodders (incl the tank!!)
    He said possibly DC was an exception but we will never know
    (ye all know what I will say here, but i wont..................Vaut.....no no Roger....dont go there......!)

If Total Recall wins a GC then it will support his arguement to the hilt.

Has the QMCC over taken the GC in terms of prestige?
    Altior/Douvan would be seen as far classier animals than SJ or MB i would think.....?
    Sprinter Sacre would also have been
    ( I am aware that of the horses named, only Sprinter has actually WON the QM, but I think the point is relevant)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Matt Chapman made a pretty convincing argument that the GC is for plodders and the QMMC is the real classy race for chasers. He listed off the last 20 GC winners and KS aside the made out the majority were plodders (incl the tank!!)
    He said possibly DC was an exception but we will never know
    (ye all know what I will say here, but i wont..................Vaut.....no no Roger....dont go there......!)

If Total Recall wins a GC then it will support his arguement to the hilt.

Has the QMCC over taken the GC in terms of prestige?
    Altior/Douvan would be seen as far classier animals than SJ or MB i would think.....?
    Sprinter Sacre would also have been
    ( I am aware that of the horses named, only Sprinter has actually WON the QM, but I think the point is relevant)

Doesn't sound very convincing to me.
    Special Tiara won the Champion Chase last year!!

5 winners of the Gold Cup have had ratings of 180 plus the since the turn of the millennium. So that's 4 plodders rated in the 180s!
    2 winners of the Champion Chase have had 180 plus ratings.
    Gold Cup is also the hardest championship race to retain as far as I know.

Both great races. Neither won regularly by plodders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Douvan does NOT run this weekend. Our Duke and Presenting Percy do run though in that Red Mills Chase in Gowran Park tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Douvan does NOT run this weekend. Our Duke and Presenting Percy do run though in that Red Mills Chase in Gowran Park tomorrow.

Cant see them taking him to Cheltenham now either.
    Cheltenham will come then it'll be 'we decided to wait until Punches'
    Main thing is Douvan is sound anyway.

Wonder how much Betbright made on fools backing Douvan AP in last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Surely no one would be stupid enough to back online without nrnb especially giving Mullins history.
    Deserve to lose if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Douvan never to be seen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Douvan never to be seen again?

Hell of a lot more confidence about him now than 3 months ago

From going to Cheltenham with Douvan, Faugheen, Vautour, Annie Power, Vroum Vroum Mag, Limini etc

To going with Getabird, Min and Djakadam........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Possible Douvan and Yorkhill no show?

Min has to be #1 choice for CC, UDS #1 choice for Ryanair, Faugheen #1 for CH. Douvan @ Ryanair and Yorkhill for the hurdle would be my guess but will he even run them there when they're sizeable dogs against their own stable in this form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Urindanger wrote: »
    Possible Douvan and Yorkhill no show?

Min has to be #1 choice for CC, UDS #1 choice for Ryanair, Faugheen #1 for CH. Douvan @ Ryanair and Yorkhill for the hurdle would be my guess but will he even run them there when they're sizeable dogs against their own stable in this form?

No, I think they'll both be there. 4 weeks until Cheltenham so still plenty of time. They seem to be pretty happy with Douvan, just didn't want to run him over 2m4f on heavy after a lay off and close to Cheltenham. I'd expect them to get Yorkhill back to top form aswell. I'd say it will be Douvan #1 and Min #2 in the QM and Yorkhill #1 and UDS #2 in the Ryanair.

WB your low opinion of UDS baffles me....!

Yorkhill#1 UDS #2 for the Ryanair is madness!!

UDS is short price fav for a reason. The quality horse in the line up for that race, the defending champion in a race where he hacked up last year. Won again last time out.
    Yorkhill in rotten form, running like a pig, a bold pig!

WB your low opinion of UDS baffles me....!

Yorkhill#1 UDS #2 for the Ryanair is madness!!

UDS is short price fav for a reason. The quality horse in the line up for that race, the defending champion in a race where he hacked up last year. Won again last time out.
    Yorkhill in rotten form, running like a pig, a bold pig!

It's on the proviso that Yorkhill is back to his best. Yorkhill comes alive at Cheltenham. He would have beaten UDS last year in the Ryanair. 2m4f on good ground is his optimum conditions you'd have to say whereas it isn't for Un de Sceaux. It might not even happen that Yorkhill comes back to his best, could be soured.

To be fair, Yorkhill on his going day vs UDS on his going day would be no match in my opinion. That's before you even think of UDS reliant on ground coming up somewhat soft.

Personally, I can't help but feel that Ruby is the difference with Yorkhill. Paul is a super rider, but we all can see how tricky a ride Yorkhill is, and I think if you give him any indication of weakness, he'll either do what he wants or just sulk off. Would not surprise me at all to see Ruby bring out the best of him again at the festival. If there was any sort of juice in his price I'll be all over it.

On a side note, what are peoples thoughts on Eagle Lion for the pertemps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

[QUOTE=wardides;106168581}
    On a side note, what are peoples thoughts on Eagle Lion for the pertemps?[/QUOTE]

Still has to qualify yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Un de Sceaux is definitely the most under rated horse in training. Don't understand it myself :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

It's on the proviso that Yorkhill is back to his best. Yorkhill comes alive at Cheltenham. He would have beaten UDS last year in the Ryanair. 2m4f on good ground is his optimum conditions you'd have to say whereas it isn't for Un de Sceaux. It might not even happen that Yorkhill comes back to his best, could be soured.

Come on now, how can you say so matter of factly that he would have beaten UDS? That old argument is so disrespectful to the horses that actually endure the hard season withstanding all the trials and tribulations, turn up when it matters most and win.

Still has to qualify yet

Yeah qualifier next wed. Just going through the race now, Blow by Blow an interesting entrant into qualifier as well.

Come on now, how can you say so matter of factly that he would have beaten UDS? That old argument is so disrespectful to the horses that actually endure the hard season withstanding all the trials and tribulations, turn up when it matters most and win.

What old argument? Nothing disrespectful about it. Yorkhill is 2/2 at Cheltenham himself. He made light enough work of Top Notch, Disko, and Politologue while Un de Sceaux just held on against Sub Lieutenant.

danganabu wrote: »
    Un de Sceaux is definitely the most under rated horse in training. Don't understand it myself :confused:

100% agree

UDS is pure class, and this thing that he needs cut in the ground is BS. I think the real truth is not that he needs cut, its that he is as good with cut as he is without it, so horses that can go with him on good cant with a cut.

The only threat to UDS in the Ryanair for me is Waiting Patiently, and at that there are whispers on twitter that they are skipping Cheltenham.

UDS run in the Ryanair last year was magical and Yorkhill wouldnt have gotten near him. You know what I think of Vautour lads, and I am not sure Vautour would have beaten him! I remember myself and my mates roraring him home and all just blown away by the class of the horse at the finish.

Re watch it WB, u may reconsider.

Re watched it there just to reconvince myself

SL was never getting there WB!!

UDS won that race 2/3 out. He was pulling up when SL was coming back. Never ever getting there

UDS at 100% V Yorkhill at 100% I bet you Ruby would ride UDS, and UDS would win

UDS run in the Ryanair last year was magical and Yorkhill wouldnt have gotten near him. You know what I think of Vautour lads, and I am not sure Vautour would have beaten him! I remember myself and my mates roraring him home and all just blown away by the class of the horse at the finish.

Re watch it WB, u may reconsider.

Vautour would have absolutely pummelled him ffs. Un de Sceaux was impressive insofar as he went a serious gallop and jumped like a stag but he was eyeballs out up the hill. Yorkhill against better opposition arrives at the last on the steel and when he hits the front pulls himself up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

What old argument? Nothing disrespectful about it. Yorkhill is 2/2 at Cheltenham himself. He made light enough work of Top Notch, Disko, and Politologue while Un de Sceaux just held on against Sub Lieutenant.

It's a hypothetical argument that doesn't go anywhere. You can't transplant the performance of a horse in one race into another race and say for certain that he would have won.

• Advertisement

It's a hypothetical argument that doesn't go anywhere. You can't transplant the performance of a horse in one race into another race and say for certain that he would have won.

Well jaysus if ya can't conjecture past races and form then how do you have any hope in predicting the outcome of races in the future.

Advertisement