Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Another biblical gfs run. We would be plastered by snow showers in the east if it came to fruition. Only problem its all in FI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

One thing that is noteworthy is the amount of times the extreme cold/snowy option has appeared on op runs, it hasn't just been one or two every few days - I count atleast 4 in the last 24 hours or so and that's just on the GFS/ECM. The GEM/ICON etc has also gone for the severe route a lot of the time.

That GFS 06z run would rival December 2010 in terms of snow depths anyway - A really extreme depth of cold too.

Anyway back to reality - it would be nice to see some cohesion between the models in the next day or two around the extreme option. It appears to be very much on the table.

We have some agreement on an easterly for next week now across the models, how cold it will be is anyone's guess at the moment. - Stick to +96hrs for some semblance of consistency.

The SSW has caused some really woeful inter-run performance between almost all the models in the last few days, The ICON had been the most consistent in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Last one, just nicked it from another weather forum. Have to enjoy these charts before they disappear :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=479936&d=1518876994

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

If the same charts are still showing by tomorrow evenings 12z, I will be won over! Latest runs are phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

UKMO has easterly by later Wednesday/Thursday and rather cool conditions.

g0pcFis.gif

of6OpRC.gif

Here comes the beast on the GFS 12z. Very similar to the GFS 06z!

NhbqlWN.png

xhfjBou.png

Snow event on the 27th (would be a great call back to the blizzard delivered to the east on Tuesday, February 27 2001) then it all goes haywire with a VERY messy picture and milder conditions taking over on the GFS 12z. Could be ten times worse though!

pzdJj3e.png

xpJoUgD.png

AX0zlR7.png

ECM a slight improvement up to +144hrs compared to 00z Run I think, UKMO is solid at 120/144. GFS a variation on a theme, ICON/GEM not as good.

ECMOPNH12_144_1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

ECM0-216.GIF?17-0

Day 9 ECM 12z all those lovely deep shades moving towards us:)

Apologies..wrong thread..

• Advertisement

Beast incoming again on the ECM - it takes its time getting here though, I would like to see the cold uppers arriving at +168hrs at the stage, not 200hrs +... Hopefully things sharpen up in the next few runs.

ECMOPEU12_216_1.png

-12's in again at the end -

ECMOPUK12_240_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Fantastic!

ECM1-240.GIF?17-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

But day 10 again on the ECM......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

But day 10 again on the ECM......

If it's at day 10 in 10 days time then we can give up. The effects of the ssw was always scheduled to be within 10-14 days after it happening. What I find strange is the GFS so quickly bringing back milder weather. Is it being too progessive? Still we should worry about the snowy cold actually coming to fruition before worrying about any breakdown:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It all appears to depend on how much surface pressure building occurs around 72 to 120 hours northeast of Murmansk from a q.s. high (1038 mbs currently) just over on the Alaskan side of the north pole. It's not that far from Franz Josef Land despite being at the nearly opposite longitude of 160W. The 12z ECM allows this to drain out into northern Europe and the arctic high continues to build. The other models that have backed off today show only small amounts of transfer and not into such a good spot either, more like north-central Russia where the higher pressure can drain southwest into places like Ukraine or central Europe.

I guess this is just a proxy for the model's handling of the SW event. Almost every notable February cold spell in the time since maps became available (1851 now) shows high pressure of the 1035 to 1050 mb range in northern Norway and Sweden, fewer cases involve any kind of stand-alone high in western Europe, a northerly, or high pressure in Germany although you can get some degree of cold from any of those too.

I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that the ECM is now the coldest solution, when it was the GEM you had to think, meh it's the GEM.

18z GFS is a lovely run - Into the freezer we go

gfsnh-0-180.png?18

Serious Easterly, sub -12c 850 temps across the country -

gfs-0-204.png?18

I'm loadin up the pick-up truck with bags of Alaskan de-icer, look for me on your street around 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just took a look at the GFS, wow is all I can say. The seemingly unupgradable was upgraded. Still 8 days out but wow.

Just for measure

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Shows blizzard potential between 26th and 1st of March, with that depth of cold air pouring in on a fairly tight easterly gradient. Honestly, it should be illegal to show us these maps without a guarantee. ;)

(not that I have any trouble getting snow here, 5 cms on the ground since I posted an hour ago)

Was just thinking, there will no doubt be a dedicated thread soon if this model consensus gets stronger, let's say nobody jump the gun, need ECM and GFS at a minimum to agree within 120 hours for -8 uppers to reach Ireland? Then we could start one up.

probably the most outrageous run I've ever seen - Repeated blizzards in likely record breaking cold, Something better come of these ridiculous charts...

gfs-0-264.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just took a look at the GFS, wow is all I can say. The seemingly unupgradable was upgraded. Still 8 days out but wow.

Just for measure

prectypeuktopo.png

The Cork snowshield still holding strong though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

The trend is becoming our friend. The next 48hrs of model watching will be interesting to say the least. I expect some hairy moments but I'm starting to believe we'll get there this time :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oh please start it

Shows blizzard potential between 26th and 1st of March, with that depth of cold air pouring in on a fairly tight easterly gradient. Honestly, it should be illegal to show us these maps without a guarantee. ;)

(not that I have any trouble getting snow here, 5 cms on the ground since I posted an hour ago)

Was just thinking, there will no doubt be a dedicated thread soon if this model consensus gets stronger, let's say nobody jump the gun, need ECM and GFS at a minimum to agree within 120 hours for -8 uppers to reach Ireland? Then we could start one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Sounds reasonable, but make it 144 hrs if UKMO is on board too :pac:.

Oh please start it

Perhaps start it with the caveat of "Model Watching"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You could have an "evolution thread" and then closer the time an actual forecast thread.

Anyone starting a forecast thread at this stage would need insurance for their reputation.

Anyone starting a forecast thread at this stage would need insurance for their reputation.

I'd be willing ;)

Probably best to leave it a day at least however to ensure it's not a phantom run and we're all not just getting too excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Fantastic!

ECM1-240.GIF?17-0

Woah, never seen a chart like that on my birthday. Safe to say, it’d be the best present if it became reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    probably the most outrageous run I've ever seen - Repeated blizzards in likely record breaking cold, Something better come of these ridiculous charts...

gfs-0-264.png?18
    Merciful hour
    That’s day after tomorrow howling blizzard at the Scottish science station hand me the biscuits while we drink the tea stuff :eek:

• Advertisement

(quote)
    That’s day after tomorrow howling blizzard at the Scottish science station hand me the
    biscuits while we drink the tea stuff :eek
    (unquote)

stand by for an address from Clement Attlee?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement