Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

shesty wrote: »
    What's that shakencat?

"Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT)
    Common Aneuploidy Screening from Maternal Blood

Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT analyses cell-free DNA circulating in the pregnant mother's blood. It is a new option in prenatal screening for Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and other common chromosomal conditions (trisomies 18 and 13), X and Y chromosome conditions. This test can be requested for any singleton pregnancy, including in vitro fertilization (IVF) pregnancies with egg donors. It can now also be requested for ALL twin pregnancies (without X or Y) conceived naturally or by IVF using the patient's own egg or a donor egg."

It also tells you the sex of the baby!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh yes, we didn't get the name of it, just 'have you thought about testing for Down's"? Not going for it ourselves, but we will find out the sex at the 20 week scan :-)

Oh yes, we didn't get the name of it, just 'have you thought about testing for Down's"? Not going for it ourselves, but we will find out the sex at the 20 week scan :-)

My other half is siding towards it, not sure why, but if it keeps him happy!
    It will be hard for them to get blood out of me as its so low! struggled at the scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

shakencat wrote: »
    My other half is siding towards it, not sure why, but if it keeps him happy!
    It will be hard for them to get blood out of me as its so low! struggled at the scan!

Is this the harmony test? I'm getting that. I got it done the last time and it was good peace of mind and also it was so exciting finding out the sex so early!! It's also €120 cheaper than it was in 2016

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Is this the harmony test? I'm getting that. I got it done the last time and it was good peace of mind and also it was so exciting finding out the sex so early!! It's also €120 cheaper than it was in 2016

it is that :)
    and in rotunda, they ask can they use your blood for another new test and you get 100 euro off !

• Advertisement

it is that :)
    and in rotunda, they ask can they use your blood for another new test and you get 100 euro off !

No! You're doing well so. It's Merrion Fetal which I recall was more expensive last time than some other places but since I'm in Holles street it makes sense. It's €430, last year I got it around May and it cost €550.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    No! You're doing well so. It's Merrion Fetal which I recall was more expensive last time than some other places but since I'm in Holles street it makes sense. It's €430, last year I got it around May and it cost €550.

its 450 in rotunda, with 100 off making its 350 for that other option :)
    its still a chunk of money hahaha:D

how long does it take to get results?

its 450 in rotunda, with 100 off making its 350 for that other option :)
    its still a chunk of money hahaha:D

how long does it take to get results?

Merrion is usually a week.

It's money well spent imo because at least you can pretty much stop worrying about the things it tests for very early in your pregnancy. Iworry about everything so it's nice to be able to cross a few things off my list

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Just had my 12week scan in rotunda semi private. 2 and a half hours in total. Very busy and a long time for a pregnant woman to wait with a full bladder.

Think consultant was o'halloran. Any feedback on her?

I thought the scan would be quite clear but they must use old machines. Was disappointed for husband as he came for scan and it was hard to see and make out. I've had a few private scans and the 8week and 10week was much clearer than this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sounds like the same woman I had last week frogstar.I had never met her before but she seemed fairly thorough; time will tell.Just to note she may not be the doctor you see next time.

That's odd on the scan, I found our surprisingly clear.

As long as things look ok, I am happy enough myself.

• Advertisement

frogstar wrote: »
    Just had my 12week scan in rotunda semi private. 2 and a half hours in total. Very busy and a long time for a pregnant woman to wait with a full bladder.

Think consultant was o'halloran. Any feedback on her?

I thought the scan would be quite clear but they must use old machines. Was disappointed for husband as he came for scan and it was hard to see and make out. I've had a few private scans and the 8week and 10week was much clearer than this one.

i found my 8 week scan at babyscan clearer too!
    thought it was an old machine too in rotunda :(

the doc also wasnt snap happy like the nurse in baby scan :(

but got one or two good ones!

Other half was shocked that we could see fingers and toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Ah of course I'm really happy just wish in hindsight husband came to my 10week scan as he would have had less of a wait and much better visibility

But baby was moving today and was asleep at other scans.

The private clinic was empty and we were crammed in upstairs!

I feel so lousy😭Throat is sore (I tend to get septic sore throats when very tired for a long period and it's been a bad week for sleep and a bad few weeks for just keeping on going.... ), and there's nothing I can take.It's not quite at doctor visit stage-yet.Stomach is unwell and I don't know if it's the pregnancy or the throat.I want to sleep for a good three days and it just isn't going to happen.
    Having a little moan :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Went for an early scan yesterday after the crash and thank god everything is ok but I got a new due date and turns out I'm not as pregnant as I thought which puts me in the June group! Wishing all the due in May gals a happy healthy pregnancy and sure I'll be lurking around! ðŸ˜

Bad day today, I have had a few small bleeds.Trip to the hospital this morning indicated that everything looked ok but obviously there are no guarantees.So just praying everything keeps going ok.

Bad day today, I have had a few small bleeds.Trip to the hospital this morning indicated that everything looked ok but obviously there are no guarantees.So just praying everything keeps going ok.

Sorry to hear that shesty :(

Thanks shakencat.Don"t know what's going on unfortunately.My gut tells me this is all wrong and isn't going to end well but so far its just bleeding and nothing else, so I'm pretty much just waiting and trying to rest.That's the hardest part to be honest , with two kids...

Thanks shakencat.Don"t know what's going on unfortunately.My gut tells me this is all wrong and isn't going to end well but so far its just bleeding and nothing else, so I'm pretty much just waiting and trying to rest.That's the hardest part to be honest , with two kids...

is it alot of blood?
    Do you just have to give it time and go back in for a scan next week?

Well, its kind of enough to be worrying.sort of light/med period.I was in emergency room yesterday, talking to them last night.They said if the scan looked ok then hopefully it will settle. If things stay the way they are, I am thinking I might give the semi-p clinic a ring tomorrow and see if I could maybe get an appointment just to be checked.Otherwise the next time I'm in will be for the 20 week scan, and that's just with a sonographer, no doctor is generally involved in that.Otherwise I will go back to the emergency room for a check.There's very little they can do really,but I just want to see again is the pregnancy ok or is there bad news.

This is a new experience for me to be honest, so I am kind of guessing what to do.

fingers crossed all is going to be ok :(

• Advertisement

Shesty,

How are things today?

They're ok thanks Shakencat.Just back from another epic visit to the Rotunda emergency room!Everything still looks good, but there's still some bleeding, so there's no defined answer as to what to do! The doctor suggested I make an appointment with the semi private clinic for next week, just to follow up, so I've done that.And I'll keep asking for them as long as I need them!Baba is very wriggly and has a good heartbeat so fingers really crossed that it all stays ok.

I am currently sitting on the sofa eating tonight's halloween sweets, having a couple of child-free hours :-)

Great news :)
    I ate my fair share of sweets too, so much I felt sick. Took a break and went back at it again hahaha.

Overdosed on chocolate.Yet I can't seem to stop eating it!I made the mistake of thinking the nausea was gone.It isn't.....

Is anybody getting pelvic pain?I got it a bit on previous pregnancies, but my hips are sore already this time round and the band of muscles around the underside of the bump.It's at its worst when I'm lying down.(unfortunately)and I'm a bit worried if it's like this now what it will be like at 30 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Is anybody getting pelvic pain?I got it a bit on previous pregnancies, but my hips are sore already this time round and the band of muscles around the underside of the bump.It's at its worst when I'm lying down.(unfortunately)and I'm a bit worried if it's like this now what it will be like at 30 weeks!

Go see an osteopath and nip it in the bud.

Not meaning to be rude but....what would an osteopath do for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

They massage and gently manipulate your pelvis/general skeletal structure to ease pressure and pain, and advise on how to minimise further pain, standard osteopath stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Not meaning to be rude but....what would an osteopath do for it?

I describe it as a mix of physio and chiropractor. My osteopath is amazing and I believe the only reason I'm still at work mostly pain free is because of the work he does. I'm 26 weeks and was diagnosed with spd at 19! Get it treated sooner rather than later.

Advertisement