Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rotunda semi-p.Yep, three hours, but to be honest I find it is usually that slow!
    Good luck with yours!!!Really mine should be next week too, the next appointment will be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Anyone else just look like they've eaten all the pies at the moment? I look like I've put on about 3 st!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Shesty congratulations

I'm also semi private with rotunda and have my appointment next Wednesday at 9. Is it really that long?

I work in city center and so does husband. When during the appointment do they so the scan? I want him there for that but don't mind doing the rest on my own

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

frogstar wrote: »
    Shesty congratulations

I'm also semi private with rotunda and have my appointment next Wednesday at 9. Is it really that long?

I work in city center and so does husband. When during the appointment do they so the scan? I want him there for that but don't mind doing the rest on my own

Thanks

The scan is first and you will be doing the rest of the appointment alone anyway as they take you by yourself for your history and bloods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It was quite slow frogstar.OH came with me, he usually does, but actually when the midwife called me she said 'I'll just take shesty on her own for this bit'.One of the questions they ask now is how you feel at home, would you ever have reason to feel afraid of your partner or anyone in the home, so I'd imagine that's partly why they want you by yourself (they didn't ask that on my first, three years ago).It was just quite a long wait then for the consultant.It might have been the day that was in it, but if I have a 9:30am appointment I would expect to be out of there by maybe 11.....today was probably more 12:15 or so.I brought OH in to the consultant with me.I actually have no problem going on my own, but for that one and the 20week one I prefer him to be there in case there's bad news or anything.And he likes to see the scan :-)

Actually the midwife is first, she does history, bloods etc, then in to the consultant for scan, a quick chat and any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Thanks shesty. Just want him there for the scan as I think it will make it feel more real for him at least!

Just gone 11 weeks and sickness is finally kicking in. Thought I escaped that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

mines 8.30 on monday, worried now about time,
    Ill have to get home and ready to leave for work at 1.15pm,

sounds like loads of time, but i cant imagine theyll see me exactly at 8.30, and if it does take three hours, ill be rushing to eat before work!!! heres me thinking id have loads of time!!

Great news that all is well and good Shesty!

Im Rotunda too, Semi P :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jumping in from the Jan thread - I'm semi-p in Rotunda too, they said to allow 2-3 hours for the booking in appointment because you've got to have your history done, bloods, consultant, scan etc. AFAIK the subsequent appointments don't take as long. I think I was about 2 hours or so when I was in for mine in July.

Shesty I noticed the same with the level of detail in the scans this time around! My little boy is 6, and the 12 week scan with him was nowhere near as clear (I was in a different hospital so not sure if they had different machines) but this time around we could see teeny little toes and everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I can't wait for mine to be over!! It's still two weeks but since the scare we had I am dying for the booking app to be done and dusted so I'll feel better.
    I've still been exhausted and a bit nauseous so I suppose that's a good sign, albeit not very pleasant. Funny thing, my boobs haven't hurt at all this time! There's were very sore the last time. It would worry me but since I have a 10 month old and breastfed for 7 months I kind of figure that maybe my boobs have just been through the wars over the last year, so they don't feel pain anymore :D:D

my boobs are so sore, and in the cold too, jesus.

• Advertisement

I can safely say my boobs have varied wildly on all three!!!The one constant has been the nausea, I take that a good sign much as I dislike it.

i have my scan app at 8.30, im semi P,
    Will i have to wait, or am i the only person at the time for the appointment?
    Not sure what to expect tomorrow, people are telling me I still have to wait in a queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

shakencat wrote: »
    my boobs are so sore, and in the cold too, jesus.

I feel the cold tonight .christ almighty would love not to have nipples right now 🙈🙊

i have my scan app at 8.30, im semi P,
    Will i have to wait, or am i the only person at the time for the appointment?
    Not sure what to expect tomorrow, people are telling me I still have to wait in a queue?

Rotunda is it?you go into the reception (top floor, right at the end), give them your name and then go next door to the waiting room.
    there will be others there, so you just wait til the midwife calls you, do your appointment with her and then go back to waiting room for consultant to call you.Then go back to reception to make next appointments and pay!!They kind of go first come first served, but (in my experience) the doctor often doesn't start til at least 9am

I am unwell, dying to take panadol (sinuses/throat).I'm dying to go to bed.Someone is setting off fireworks and my three year old is scared.I hope karma finds them......

Why make me arrive for 8.30 so.
    I'll be bringing a packed lunch!
    Hahaha

There's fire works near me too, no noise. Just flashy sky, odd..
    Obviously not that near haha

Why make me arrive for 8.30 so.
    I'll be bringing a packed lunch!
    Hahaha

There's fire works near me too, no noise. Just flashy sky, odd..
    Obviously not that near haha

I know, it never makes sense to me either!They were going around with sandwiches for people who were doing the glucose testing when I was there, we were all getting a bit excited until we realised they weren't for everyone!!!Good luck!

All good here :)
    12.5 weeks.
    Two arms, two legs!

Was in and out in two hours.
    I would have been shorter but my blood pressure is low so no blood would come out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 foxxykate

Any one going to the Coombe? I'm 9+3, waiting for booking appt date! First pregnancy so all new!!

anyone know if there is much more benefits to going private? im stil unsure !!

Depends on what you want I guess :-)

If you go private you will have one consultant, who 'should' be present at the birth....and a private room.I don't know anything about you really (!) But I'm early 30s (ok, well I was on my first!), in good health, didn't expect any problems, so I figured semi-p was good enough, since we had the money.Also I kind if had a thing about not wanting too much consultant 'interference' either, I felt they had to justify their fees somehow....
    Also the fact that I could be paying 3k+ and they may be on holidays or something for the birth (even though I didn't really want them there unless it was medically necessary......contradiction....!!!)
    That was just me though.
    The one thing I did learn because I bled early in my first pregnancy is that they really can do very very little for you for the first 24 weeks (obv unless they are monitoring blood pressure or something)I saw some posts about people wanting more appointments because it was too long between 12 and 20 weeks, and reassurance and all this....at the end of the day your body has the final say in how this goes at that stage, and private or public will make little or no difference to that. So I would think longer down the line, what do you want from care as the pregnancy moves on, the birth and aftercare?If you are private by the way, you wil share the same medical staff and floor afterwards as semi-p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

foxxykate wrote: »
    Any one going to the Coombe? I'm 9+3, waiting for booking appt date! First pregnancy so all new!!

Hi..i am in the Coombe. Just had scan there this eve @11+2 weeks. Was delighted and relieved to get it done. They did a 2d and 3d scan on.maxhine they had. Its v.cool. Have midwife appointment thursday.

Yea, I'm unsure, I'm 29, so low risk with no complications as of yet!
    Maybe I'm just thinking too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

anyone know if there is much more benefits to going private? im stil unsure !!

I called at 6 weeks and the consultant I wanted was already booked! The second one was about to close his book but I just got in. Crazy.

I have no idea what private is like but I felt I did badly in labour the last time and had a lot of anxiety afterwards, and indeed during the pregnancy, so my GP reckoned if there's anything I can do to make myself feel better, do it. Last time I was buying a house so didn't want to pay out the money, although public was fine, the only really hellish bit was unit 3 pre epidural, and I think everyone whether public or private risks ending up in that hellhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

12 weeks today. Feeling super tired and blaming it all on the pregnancy, but had just made appointment with GP as had a sore throat that wouldn't go away when I got a call from consultant (had been in for bloods yesterday) to say I have glandular fever. Oh joy! It's not dangerous, just will take a while to go away, so think I'll be waiting a bit longer to get this second trimester bounce everyone was promising me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I'm really worried I'm being a bit careless going public. I have private health insurance but just felt from talking to a few people it was a lot of money for not much extra. Obviously this is my first pregnancy so I haven't a clue and could end up eating my words. my plan is to go to first public appointment and if they flag any significant risks I'll rethink it.
    I was in a minor car crash today. Got the shock of my life as the other driver was in the wrong and thank god accepted liability. I ended up bawling crying and telling my boss I'm 9 weeks pregnant when I got to work. I'm hoping all is good with the baby but I have an early pregnancy scan with my GP Friday so keeping everything crossed. I was nervous for Friday anyway but now I'm counting down the hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Any key? wrote: »
    I'm really worried I'm being a bit careless going public. I have private health insurance but just felt from talking to a few people it was a lot of money for not much extra. Obviously this is my first pregnancy so I haven't a clue and could end up eating my words. my plan is to go to first public appointment and if they flag any significant risks I'll rethink it.
    I was in a minor car crash today. Got the shock of my life as the other driver was in the wrong and thank god accepted liability. I ended up bawling crying and telling my boss I'm 9 weeks pregnant when I got to work. I'm hoping all is good with the baby but I have an early pregnancy scan with my GP Friday so keeping everything crossed. I was nervous for Friday anyway but now I'm counting down the hours!

God that was a shock. Have a nice evening tonight. Rest up. Glad you're OK.

It's my first pregnancy too. In from the February thread. I have private health insurance and can afford to go private. But I chose not to. I spoke to a friend who went public in the same hospital I'm going to and she went public on both her girls and was happy with the care she got. I've seen plenty of consultants (many broken bones and chronic migraines) and I've had enough of them! Also I'm low risk and 33 so felt public was prefect. Also I'd be p!ssed if I paid for private and was on a public ward... Reading other threads here made me wonder but I think some of the posters are high risk and want to go private and I'm happy with the care I've gotten so far. If you're happy to go public I definitely wouldn't say you're careless going public. It is personal choice.

There's nothing wrong with going public, I know plenty of people with insurance who do and they are fine.It's nice to have access to the Domino scheme and that kind of thing.Don't beat yourself up, there's enough guilt in motherhood as it is!!I am semi-private but I am doing that purely for a smaller ward afterwards.My whole labour and delivery experiences have been in through the Rotunda emergency dept, up to delivery (thankfully skipped labour ward both times ,yay!!) And gave birth with the staff on duty tending me.
    Care was excellent, and same as if I had gone public.

I hope you are ok after the crash, that's awful.Bad enough to be feeling a bit fragile as it is!Hopefully the scan will make you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Thanks girls. Feel really reassured. Convinced all my symptoms have gone but havent had many symptoms for the most part anyway.

I am getting the blood test next week, NIPT?

• Advertisement

What's that shakencat?

Advertisement