Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin One Religious Colonisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Esel wrote: »
    OP's soapbox is on fire! :)

The preacher did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We didn't start the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This thread is a gift, why would anyone close it?

Because of all the off topic shīte and some personal attacks against the OP.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Because of all the off topic sh and some personal attacks against the OP.

Tbf the OP hasnt explained these attacks. He randomly accused people of abusing his mental health "citing" absolutely non abusing posts. He also provided most of the OT stuff aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf the OP hasnt explained these attacks.

What does he need to explain?
    He has been called a dick who is consumed with hatred and bigotry and his own victimhood.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Because of all the off topic shīte and some personal attacks against the OP.

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I'm responding to people. That's called manners.

Yes I'd like the thread closed it's become about me and not the topic, I didn't think we were allowed to ask on the thread.

Thread won't be closed while still viable. Feel free to stop posting in it if you'd like.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Haha. Like an odd version of Inception. "I'm reporting my own post because the replies show me to be a bit of a dick".

Adjust your tone or leave this thread, please. Your choice.

Back on topic please, folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    To be fair, at least the overzealous street preachers are occasionally amusing - the overabundance of chuggers in that area on the other hand... :mad:

Good point about chuggers. There are more of them than street preachers....can the OP start a thread denouncing them as they are in your face and do try to impede progress as well as steal encourage to donate my money.

I do with them as I do with a lot of the street preachers...I just ignore them and keep going....and yes I'm a Christian and by default stereotype should be supporting them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm a Christian and by default stereotype should be supporting them all.

You can't be a Christian.

According to the rules of After Hours only the poor and unintelligent are drawn in by religion so you would be too poor to afford a phone/laptop/broadband and too stupid to use them even if you had them.

;)

To be honest, I never saw any street preacher in Dublin

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    To be honest, I never saw any street preacher in Dublin

Often see the Harry Krishnas on Henry street, they sing there song, bang the drums, do no harm.

Although all I can think when I see them is 'Gouranga' from original GTA

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

you do get the odd (as in infrequent) preacher standing up on a soapox with a loudspeaker at the junction of Henry street and O'Connell street.

I did see a few in Ennis and Limerick

LoLth wrote: »
    you do get the odd (as in infrequent) preacher standing up on a soapox with a loudspeaker at the junction of Henry street and O'Connell street.

I remember the anti EU guy would be outside Guineys quite a lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You can sum up my identity by a thread on boards.ie?
    In this thread you have taken every opportunity to mention it. Even though it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
    I am not a victim and have never claimed to be. You are projecting victimhood onto me with your own prejudices.
    Nope, just going on what you have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

keano_afc wrote: »
    its a pity you cant adopt a live and let live attitude.

The irony.

Preaching in a public place, telling them they are going to hell, etc. is the complete opposite of 'live and let live'.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

admin note:

Dear posters, the topic is on street preachers and, it seems chuggers. I know the thread veered onto other topics but can we please leave out the speculation and personal discussion. its not fair to single a user out like this regardless of how justified or innocent you may feel your actions are.

a mod has already requested that you get back on topic. I would ask that you respect that request please.

non-admin note : I havent heard too many hellfire and damnation street preachers on Henry street. last one I passed was reading the passage about "God is love", which is quite a nice bit all things considered.

the only really bad experience i had was "Mad Mary" . The bat with the big wooden crucifix who used to belt you with it for holding hands on O'Connell street. She dressed like a nun but I dont know that she was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

non-admin note : I havent heard too many hellfire and damnation street preachers on Henry street. last one I passed was reading the passage about "God is love", which is quite a nice bit all things considered.

the only really bad experience i had was "Mad Mary" . The bat with the big wooden crucifix who used to belt you with it for holding hands on O'Connell street. She dressed like a nun but I dont know that she was one.

She wasnt a nun. She is gone years as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Deleted poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think she died a few years ago. She was certainly zealous!

Who was the lady with the blue clothes and always had flowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Who was the lady with the blue clothes and always had flowers?

I think that was the aforementioned "Mad Mary". A lady in her 60's or 70's with grey hair.

mary-11-310x415.jpg

http://evoke.ie/news/the-last-dance-for-mary-margaret-dunne-dublins-first-lady-passes-away-after-over-20-years-dancing-on-oconnell-street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DrPhilG wrote: »
    You can't be a Christian.

According to the rules of After Hours only the poor and unintelligent are drawn in by religion so you would be too poor to afford a phone/laptop/broadband and too stupid to use them even if you had them.

;)
    I'm sorry...but I'm also against "organised religion" whatever that is:)
    That said, most things are organised , even the violence of anarchists.

The op mentioned "lack of accountability, respect and tax exemptions". Do you have evidence of that.

Most of the churches I know are very accountable. Not sure about tax exemptions as I've never asked... maybe you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I remember getting buses in Kenya, and preachers would walk up and down the aisle talking about God. Mostly good stuff as I remember; more God is love than you'll burn in hell. But hours of it trapped on a bus got a bit much. Can't say I've ever seen anything nearly as intrusive as that in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mostly good stuff as I remember; more God is love than you'll burn in hell.

2 sides of the same coin though, you can't have one without the other, except maybe temporarily to lure gullible individuals in.

Every claim that 'people like us are loved and saved' has the automatic, spoken or unspoken, corollary that 'people who are not like us are evil and damned'.

It's all just mind control at the end of the day.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I felt Ireland grew up and moved away from organised religion.

I feel this is a step backwards, many will disagree.

Eh? At the last census, over 70% said that they are Catholic.

Even if they're not practising it very hard, that's still organised religion. (Many would argue that the industrial schools / magdalene laundries etc are conclusive proof that genuine religion was rarely practised here anyways.)

If you want to restrict people promoting religion, that needs to include all religious / spiritual stuff - right down to yoga / mindfulness / humanism etc. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

2 sides of the same coin though, you can't have one without the other, except maybe temporarily to lure gullible individuals in.

Every claim that 'people like us are loved and saved' has the automatic, spoken or unspoken, corollary that 'people who are not like us are evil and damned'.

It's all just mind control at the end of the day.

Ah yeah, but if you're going to be forced to listen to one or the other for two hours, I know which I'd prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Do not drag sh!t from other forums in to AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

This was probably my favourite bit:
    People should be strong enough.

As a gay man I don't understand weakness.
    Like a big, fabulous Chuck Norris.

Advertisement