Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin One Religious Colonisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

branie2 wrote: »
    Were there stands with Chick tract pamphlets there?

Is there an interpreter in tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

No, he ran away to join the Circus .

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

pjohnson wrote: »
    You clearly like the auld contradiction.

Thanks for agreeing that religion is weakness

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

With the decline in the Catholic Church here, other religions/faiths are filling the gap. I've heard the growth of the Christian evangelical churches in the past decade has been significant. People want something to believe in and religion provides an easy fix. Also the need to be part of a group is a factor.

Whilst I don't agree with religion generally, I tend to adopt a live and let live attitude. I'm a gay man myself and I know the hatred most organised religions have towards LGBT people but as long as they're not trying to actively influence social policy they should be allowed to go about their business.

Your rant smacks of intolerance OP. Ironic as it is religious intolerance that you're railing against.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Thanks for agreeing that religion is weakness

The only thing I have shown to be weak is you're comprehension skills.

Guess the LC english paper didnt go as planned.

• Advertisement

Do these people not have the right to congregate? Why do you want to discriminate against them? You really should learn to be more tolerant of other people's viewpoints and lifestyles.

They are basically street 'entertainers' and should be restricted like buskers.

Do you believe buskers are being discriminated against?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I believe in the right to protest in a democracy.

I haven't seen a protest in regards to sartorial choices.

But i note your sly homophobic dig and suggest you try harder

Your assertions are seriously misplaced! You really need to stop imputing your motives/insecurities onto others.

As for the rights to protest, there is also a constitutional right to the freedom of religion and its expression.
    If you don't like it get the Constitution changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JupiterKid wrote: »
    With the decline in the Catholic Church here, other religions/faiths are filling the gap. I've heard the growth of the Christian evangelical churches in the past decade has been significant. People want something to believe in and religion provides an easy fix. Also the need to be part of a group is a factor.

Whilst I don't agree with religion generally, I tend to adopt a live and let live attitude. I'm a gay man myself and I know the hatred most organised religions have towards LGBT people but as long as they're not trying to actively influence social policy they should be allowed to go about their business.

Your rant smacks of intolerance OP. Ironic as it is religious intolerance that you're railing against.

I'm sure if it was loads of muslim preachers you wouldnt be giving out about his intolerance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm sure if it was loads of muslim preachers you wouldnt be giving out about his intolerance.

I would. I don't care if they're Muslim, Jewish, Christian, or from the Church of the Flying Saucer.

They don't 'take over' the city as someone suggested, let alone the streets. Many of them are actually quite pleasant and engaging, which I guess is an important part of salesmanship.

If people have a serious problem with observing fairly innocuous things they dislike, maybe urban living just isn't for them. This happens in every city in the world. To arbitrarily curtail freedom of expression and freedom to congregate would be far more detrimental than this pet peeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They are basically street 'entertainers' and should be restricted like buskers.

Do you believe buskers are being discriminated against?

Wha? Mental gymnastics there.

Did you just assume buskers are discriminated against? What is your evidence of this? Buskers are humans and have rights!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I can understand the argument of them needing regulation same as buskers - but the fact buskers collect money is probably the key difference in why they need a permit. That said I have never seen the level of religious preaching referred to by the OP. It's something I see only occasionally whereas I'm falling over buskers and chuggers. I would fully support a ban on chuggers though - more so the ones looking to sign you up rather than the ones shaking a bucket.

Wha? Mental gymnastics there.

Did you just assume buskers are discriminated against? What is your evidence of this? Buskers are humans and have rights!!!

No, you think that me stating there should be restrictions on street preachers in one small area is discrimination.

DCC has restrictions on buskers. I am asking, do you think that these restrictions are discriminatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Free rein on buskers during the fleadh, though

I can understand the argument of them needing regulation same as buskers - but the fact buskers collect money is probably the key difference in why they need a permit. That said I have never seen the level of religious preaching referred to by the OP. It's something I see only occasionally wheras I'm falling over buskers and chuggers. I would fully support a ban on chuggers though - moreso the ones looking to sign you up rather than the ones shaking a bucket.

It seems to be Saturdays on Henry Street mid-afternoon.

There are some preachers other days but today was a lot in a short space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And how did they tie you up and make you listen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm there most Saturday afternoons. Never saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I don't believe a city should have a no go area every weekend because people are preaching on the street.

A no-go area, hardly? If you don't like the preachers then you are just going to have to avoid them.

With the decline of traditional religion in the RoI, the RCC specifically, other churches are going to surface here to fill the void. Street healing and preaching is part and parcel of some of those faiths. The RCC here didn't take that approach, so street preaching is new to us as a city. I was walking up Thomas street last year and one of the Evangelical churches there were active on the street, so it isn't just Henry street.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,092 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm there most Saturday afternoons. Never saw it.

That means you are it.

Not your ornery onager

Berserker wrote: »
    A no-go area, hardly? If you don't like the preachers then you are just going to have to avoid them.

With the decline of traditional religion in the RoI, the RCC specifically, other churches are going to surface here to fill the void. Street healing and preaching is part and parcel of some of those faiths. The RCC here didn't take that approach, so street preaching is new to us as a city. I was walking up Thomas street last year and one of the Evangelical churches there were active on the street.

Yes I do avoid town most weekends as is.

I welcomed the restrictions on street performers in the last couple of years.

I don't see why these are exempt is all, I'd like to see them restricted.

They are just getting a footing now before the 8th Amendment Referendum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Would you like to have restrictions on all forms of public speaking?

I think it's broader than that. As I said above, these churches are looking to set up here long term. I think that we'll have a USA style megachurch in Dublin within 20 years. Even the Scientologists have recognized the possibilities that exist here and they are investing in Ireland.

• Advertisement

And I don't think this is something to be welcomed.

Many will disagree.

I felt Ireland grew up and moved away from organised religion.

I feel this is a step backwards, many will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Archeron

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    It was probably John 3:1 - 21.

That's an old favorite. Has aged well, still a classic.

No no. No no no no. No no no no. No no there's no limits.

Very few people recognise the biblical influence in 2 Unlimiteds earlier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Archeron wrote: »
    No no. No no no no. No no no no. No no there's no limits.

Very few people recognise the biblical influence in 2 Unlimiteds earlier work.

The Magic Friend

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes I do avoid town most weekends as is.

I welcomed the restrictions on street performers in the last couple of years.

Why do they need to be restricted? Can you not just walk past snd ignore?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why do they need to be restricted? Can you not just walk past snd ignore?

Because I say so! :pac:

Joking. ;)

Why are there restrictions on buskers/street performers?

Because I say so! :pac:

Joking. ;)

Why are there restrictions on buskers/street performers?
    Because there was a suapicion that many of them were not declaring their income and were claiming social protection payments.

Cllr Mannix Flynn said information is being shared with Revenue/ DSP for this reason.

Because there was a suapicion that many of them were not declaring their income and were claiming social protection payments.

Cllr Mannix Flynn said information is being shared with Revenue/ DSP for this reason.

Nothing to do with noise and space?

The new regulations ban the use of backing tracks and pre-recorded music from being played “in any circumstances” across the city and restricts the use of amplifiers and where dance troupes are allowed to perform.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-busking-rules-restrict-use-of-amps-and-backing-tracks-1.2742593

The new regulations ban the use of backing tracks and pre-recorded music from being played “in any circumstances” across the city and restricts the use of amplifiers and where dance troupes are allowed to perform.
    But sure you don't need permits to prohibit that, no more than shoppers would need permits to clamp down on shoplifters.

There was a general tightening of regulations on buskers a few years back, including noise levels; but also to keep an eye on declared income and welfare transfer payments... hence the database of permitholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All hail Xenu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-busking-rules-restrict-use-of-amps-and-backing-tracks-1.2742593

Is this really the worst thing you can complain/ crusade/ claim victimhood about?

Advertisement