Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin One Religious Colonisation

Options
  • 19-08-2017 5:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

What has happened the area from North Earl Street across O'Connell Street down Henry street?

Street Preaching should be restricted like any other 'Street Performer'.

The Irish for the most part rejected organised religion in the last 20 years and I find it sad to see these new religions take a hold here.

I don't want 'Jesus will save you' shouted at people walking down the street.

I hate organised religion, I agree that religious people have freedoms under the constitution but organisations/businesses should not.

And Religious Organisations like Iona should not be tax exempt.

To clarify, there were numerous groups yesterday including some sort of JOHN:27 Choir/Samba Troupe outside Arnotts with amplification.

Comments

gizmo81 wrote: »
    What has happened the area from North Earl Street across O'Connell Street down Henry street?

Today it was impossible to get down Henry Street the amount of different religious people vying for your attention.

A group of South American Singers shouting about John 6.74 or whatever.

Jehovah Witnesses at the GPO everyday and some preacher outside Kylemore.

This irritates me no end, we fought hard in this country to be free from Religion that we don't need to import it. The fact they choose the site of one of the biggest battle for Irish freedom is particularly galling.

I am sick of it and would like to see some restrictions on street preaching.

Upper Talbot street has some sort of Muslim prayer room at the top of it. Been very busy there some days for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Did we fight hard to be free from religion? Or did we just pretend we were going to mass, while in reality walking around the neighbourhood or standing at the back of the church, and then stop going completely as soon as we moved out of home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Just let people believe in their own version of an imaginary friend in the sky who sees everything you do if it makes them happy.

I'd say avoid the street / area and don't let it get to you. If they don't have an audience, they don't have any power.

Also... Dublin Forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Today it was impossible to get down Henry Street the amount of different religious people vying for your attention.

This irritates me no end, we fought hard in this country to be free from Religion that we don't need to import it. The fact they choose the site of one of the biggest battle for Irish freedom is particularly galling.

Well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I find it interesting that it's concentrated in this area.

Would it be tolerated on Grafton Street?

Why should I avoid the streets of the city I was born in?

I don't believe a city should have a no go area every weekend because people are preaching on the street.

• Advertisement

Also, as a gay man I have to listen to a berating once a year for the pride celebration and commemoration but the Holy Mary's can take over town any day they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"And he left them and went out of the city, into Bethany, and he lodged there?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I hear Bethany can lovely this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

That Bethany... Up to her whoring antics again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Beats fighting your way through junkies I suppose, least the zealots aren't going to tap you up for money for a hostel, smokes, gear etc

• Advertisement

What with religious fundamentalists preaching to me as I walk down the street and capitalist fundamentalists preaching to me via incessant adverts/promotions on radios/papers/tvs, I wish they'd all just fúck off and give my head peace.

I long for a day when I can travel on a bus, wait in a doctor's or dentist's waiting room, or hospital waiting room or airport or train station or indeed anywhere without having radio and tv noise imposed upon my peace and personal space. All these parasitic cúnts trying to get a piece of me with their bullshít buy, buy, buy messages. There should be a law protecting us from this.

I think it was a 27

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

As long as they are not physically attacking people then they're doing no harm, live and let live and all that...

", into Bethany, and he lodged there?"

Beats fighting your way through junkies I suppose, least the zealots aren't going to tap you up for money for a hostel, smokes, gear etc

They will tap you for money for anti-abortion/anti-gay rights campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Also, as a gay man I have to listen to a berating once a year for the pride celebration and commemoration but the Holy Mary's can take over town any day they want.

Nothing stopping you setting up a counter-protest to whatever is going on.

It'd be better than posting on here about it.

And it's hardly a no go area, maybe you just need to stay in your safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Or... just perhaps live and let live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

Have streets been shut down and traffic closed for all these preachers like it is for the gay pride parade?

There are some there every day on top of all the buskers I imagine it's busier at the weekend as they're not in work at the weekend just ignore them and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It was probably John 3:1 - 21.

That's an old favorite. Has aged well, still a classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The 1916 lads were a pretty devout bunch, no? :confused:

• Advertisement

As long as they are not physically attacking people then they're doing no harm, live and let live and all that...

Religion = Harm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stay inside in your safe zone. Best way to avoid dissenting opinion.

Religion = Harm

Not really, most religious people tend to be fairly harmless.

sabat wrote: »
    The 1916 lads were a pretty devout bunch, no? :confused:

I may be wrong but I believe a priest was sent for prayers at one stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Religion = Harm

Did they come at you with a knife or something ?

I think in 2017 we should be moving away from religion.

Religion is a tool of oppression, historically use to control the poor and the ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We fought hard in this country in 1916 to remove one imperial power based in Britain, and replaced it with another imperial power based in Rome.
    100 years later, you finally woke up and noticed?

Regular Irish people fought to move away from the Church in the 80/90's with the scandals that were revealed.

I think in 2017 we should be moving away from religion.

Religion is a tool of oppression, historically use to control the poor and the ignorant.

It also provides a lot of people with hope and a level of meaning to their lives.

As long as they are not causing any direct hassle to anybody they are no worse than buskers on the streets.

• Advertisement

People should be strong enough.

As a gay man I don't understand weakness.

Advertisement