Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin One Religious Colonisation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Gizmo shouldn't eat after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Does freedom of religion include being allowed to create such a racket. I couldn't care less what views they are expressing, religious or otherwise but I wouldn't think freedom to cause a racket should be a right. It's easy to walk on by and ignore if that's what your were doing anyway but their are cafe's, shops and so on where customers and especially staff have to listen to them for hours which I have personal experience of and I can't tell you they can be a right pain in the arse. If they weren't allowed to use the megaphones then I'd be happy enough with that as compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If we went down the route of banning religious preachers then I think that's going down the route of censorship and opening up an avenue to ban pride parades or political marches. I'm not a fan of religious preaching. As long as they are not preaching hate I have no problem with them. Just walk past as with chuggers. No big deal.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I'm o.

the KKK, why is religion that opposes LGBTQ+ sexuality allowed?

Religion isn't freedom, and while the rebels were God fearing, I was using the example as symbolic of the Irish fight for freedom, freedom from outside interference.

Street Preaching is imported.

Imported from where ??:confused: Why are you equating religion with the KKK? I'm not sure I've seen any street preachers wearing pointy hats and burning crosses.

Are you sure you're mental health is ok? there seem to be a lot of disjointed ramblings in your posts ....there you go...ive said it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

If we went down the route of banning religious preachers then I think that's going down the route of censorship and opening up an avenue to ban pride parades or political marches. I'm not a fan of religious preaching. As long as they are not preaching hate I have no problem with them. Just walk past as with chuggers. No big deal.

I don't think it's excessive to ask 'street performers' or 'leafletting organisations' to apply for a permit. I remember the anti-gay literature handed out on this street in the run up to the referendum. The stretch of street (GPO To Arnotts) I'm talking about isn't huge so can become overcrowded.

If everyone turned up with an amp chaos would ensue. The reason I started this thread was as well as the usual preachers there was some sort of religious choir dance troupe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 'chuggers' would all be registered to their own charity and authorities would know how many are on the street. While they annoy me they usually have two on either side of the street and feel spread out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I don't think it's excessive to ask 'street performers' or 'leafletting organisations' to apply for a permit. I remember the anti-gay literature handed out on this street in the run up to the referendum. The stretch of street (GPO To Arnotts) I'm talking about isn't huge so can become overcrowded.

It's pretty excessive actually and that's why people are not reacting well (and why it is not required). I'm about as atheist as it gets, but I can't imagine any situation of this kind, with a few dolts handing out leaflets (I've seen them), would make me believe we need to regulate them. We're not talking about people taking in money - like chuggers - but something closer to how we tolerate street performers, because it's not really an important thing to be concerned about. Just do what we all do, ignore them :D

Also, people are free to hand out any kind of leaflet, racists one or whatever, that's one of our fundamentals in the West. I would say worry less, idiots will be idiots, you can't fix that.

Imported from where ??:confused: Why are you equating religion with the KKK? I'm not sure I've seen any street preachers wearing pointy hats and burning crosses.

Are you sure you're mental health is ok? there seem to be a lot of disjointed ramblings in your posts ....there you go...ive said it:D
    I'm only answering to be polite I don't want this to become a thread about acceptance of LGBTQ+

Sexuality isn't a choice no more than skin colour. It is frowned upon to support the KKK, why is religion that opposes LGBTQ+ sexuality allowed?

Religion isn't freedom, and while the rebels were God fearing, I was using the example as symbolic of the Irish fight for freedom, freedom from outside interference.

Street Preaching is imported.

I think you have disappointing views of people with mental health.

Perhaps you could quote me in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,358 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Make counter leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

scopper wrote: »
    Also, people are free to hand out any kind of leaflet, racists one or whatever, that's one of our fundamentals in the West. I would say worry less, idiots will be idiots, you can't fix that.

No they are not. Here in Ireland (like most European countries) racist leaflets depending on their context would be illegal under Irish Law and also European Human Rights Law.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

pjohnson wrote: »
    Make counter leaflets.

And give out free copies of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What with religious fundamentalists preaching to me as I walk down the street and capitalist fundamentalists preaching to me via incessant adverts/promotions on radios/papers/tvs, I wish they'd all just fúck off and give my head peace.

I long for a day when I can travel on a bus, wait in a doctor's or dentist's waiting room, or hospital waiting room or airport or train station or indeed anywhere without having radio and tv noise imposed upon my peace and personal space. All these parasitic cúnts trying to get a piece of me with their bullshít buy, buy, buy messages. There should be a law protecting us from this.
    Buy a pair of earphones and listen to whales humping.
    From your post you sound like a sick person withbad teeth and a penchant for public transport.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'd say the hare krishnas dancing up and down the streets with their tambourines and portable amplifier make more noise than the street preachers.
    Why has the op not had a go at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

These people are simple imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Every year before during and after pride people complain about 'gays pushing it in our faces'. My point is, I don't know if you read the thread, that this happens once a year and the Gay Community are condemned for it.

Why is it acceptable for Street Preachers every day?

I did, yeah, it seemed to be a bit of a red herring. There is a march you approve of, and a few people complain about it, the majority ignore it and a good load of people show up and celebrate it too. With the street preachers, the vast majority ignore them, it may help one or two and it annoys you so you complain about it.

It seemed to go a bit in circles from there.

Samaris wrote: »
    I did, yeah, it seemed to be a bit of a red herring. There is a march you approve of, and a few people complain about it, the majority ignore it and a good load of people show up and celebrate it too. With the street preachers, the vast majority ignore them, it may help one or two and it annoys you so you complain about it.

It seemed to go a bit in circles from there.

I can only respond to comments directed to me. If you have a problem i suggest you take it up with the other posters.

The difference with pride and street preachers is pride is once a year, street preachers are there every day. It's rather a simple point people chose not to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can only respond to comments directed to me. If you have a problem i suggest you take it up with the other posters.

The difference with pride and street preachers is pride is once a year, street preachers are there every day. It's rather a simple point people chose not to understand.

They aren't comparable. And like someone said, ignore the complainers, most have no issue with pride. Most have no issue with street preachers. This is another agenda driven topic, no matter how much you protest against.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Er, I did. Quoted you and everything.

Could turn that around to "pride closes down streets and clogs up the city when it's going on, the preachers are just getting on with it in their own place and don't cause traffic jams."

As it happens, I support Pride day in my local city, but if you're going to drag it in to make a point about street preachers (I'm more or less of an atheist as well, so don't have any particular gra for people shouting about organised religion), then...yeah. It'll get compared.

I can only make arguments with my life experiences.

If you don't want posters to talk about their lives, especially gay lives, then ban me to the LGBTQ+ Forum.

It was a throwaway comment that posters have foamed over the mouth at since. This is not within my control.

I don't know why people keep bringing up they support pride, I couldn't care less. It was a comment on the usual type of comments that appear on articles around pride about pushing it in faces bla bla bla. It wasn't an attack.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    They aren't comparable. And like someone said, ignore the complainers, most have no issue with pride. Most have no issue with street preachers. This is another agenda driven topic, no matter how much you protest against.

My life, my experiences aren't an agenda. This is your problem that you can't see me as a human rather than an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

My life, my experiences aren't an agenda. This is your problem that you can't see me as a human rather than an agenda.

Well, thats a load of bollox.

I dont know you, I couldnt care less about your sexual orientation nor do you of mine. Maybe you dont realise it but you seem to use your sexual orientation as an implement to bash your points across and validate yourself.

Im sure you dont see it that way but step outside of youself and just read this thread and your posts again.

You go mad at religious preachers doing their thing and go on to justify your hate for them by "being a gay man" and getting "berated once a year".

For someone who demands justice, fairness and tolerance, you dont have much yourself. This projects you as having an agenda to wedge into everything.

You seem to be purposely winding people up and baiting them, throughout most of your threads. You actively want to be disciplined by the Mods too, challenging them to do it so you can use it as ammo for a rant....whatever you are into.

Now I could be wrong but lets face it, Im not.

• Advertisement

The thread is about restricting the number of Street Preachers in a small area but you go ahead an make it about whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I find it interesting that it's concentrated in this area.

Would it be tolerated on Grafton Street?

Why should I avoid the streets of the city I was born in?

I don't believe a city should have a no go area every weekend because people are preaching on the street.

Just do what everyone else does - ignore it and move on.

I'm not a fan of organized religion myself, but you're overthinking this OP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You appear to be basing your entire identity around the fact that you are a gay man. Whether you mean to or not, you have made it an agenda. But you are only disempowering yourself with the perpetual victimhood lark.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Just do what everyone else does - ignore it and move on.

I'm not a fan of organized religion myself, but you're overthinking this OP.

Thanks, yeh I do ignore it mostly. I just thought on Saturday it was excessive and warranted a thread if anyone else found it excessive.

They don't lol It's grand.

mzungu wrote: »
    You appear to be basing your entire identity around the fact that you are a gay man. Whether you mean to or not, you have made it an agenda. But you are only disempowering yourself with the perpetual victimhood lark.

You can sum up my identity by a thread on boards.ie?

I am not a victim and have never claimed to be. You are projecting victimhood onto me with your own prejudices.

The thread is about restricting the number of Street Preachers in a small area but you go ahead an make it about whatever you want.

No thats not what it is about.

You have been using boards as a soapbox to project hate for organised religion. Its an anti religion thread....ergo...agenda.

You also mention being gay at least 5 times on the first page alone....nobody gives a f.uck.

Thanks, yeh I do ignore it mostly. I just thought on Saturday it was excessive and warranted a thread if anyone else found it excessive.

They don't lol It's grand.

Also just OT.

I do agree with you that its excessive but I ignore it. Now, if you hadnt gone down the rabbit hole on this one, people would have been more receptive.

Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,358 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This is what is started as maybe but you cant resist mentioning your orientation every 3rd post or so. A few people have asked why YOU are bringing sexuality into it.

No thats not what it is about.

You have been using boards as a soapbox to project hate for organised religion. Its an anti religion thread....ergo...agenda.

You also mention being gay at least 5 times on the first page alone....nobody gives a f.uck.

I said <snip> once. Now would that mean you have an agenda or just can't count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I said <snip> once. Now would that mean you have an agenda or just can't count?

Page 1:
    Also, as a gay man....
    As a gay man I don't understand weakness.
    Religion is a choice.

Sexuality is not.
    Being gay is a gift, why would anyone avoid it?
    Nope, no confusion. gay as Christmas here.

Advertisement