Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin One Religious Colonisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Also, as a gay man I have to listen to a berating once a year for the pride celebration and commemoration but the Holy Mary's can take over town any day they want.

Why did you feel the need the need to highlight the fact that you're gay? Do you not have enough concessions as it is? If I highlight, advertise and lobby the fact that I'm nothing special except a hardworking, tax paying Joe soap can I get special treatment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Why did you feel the need the need to highlight the fact that you're gay? Do you not have enough concessions as it is? If I highlight, advertise and lobby the fact that I'm nothing special except a hardworking, tax paying Joe soap can I get special treatment?

What concessions do I get as a gay man?

Are gay people not hardworking, tax paying, joe soaps?

:confused:

Why did you feel the need the need to highlight the fact that you're gay? Do you not have enough concessions as it is?

Concessions?

He said he hears silly grumbling every year about the Pride parade. Which I assume is why he mentioned that.

I'm curious what "concessions" you think the gay people have gotten? Do you mean equal rights, decriminalization, that sort of thing?

Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Concessions?

He said he hears silly grumbling every year about the Pride parade. Which I assume is why he mentioned that.

I'm curious what "concessions" you think the gay people have gotten? Do you mean equal rights, decriminalization, that sort of thing?

Genuinely curious.

I appreciate the genuine curiosity. I don't have a problem with anyone until stuff gets pushed in my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I appreciate the genuine curiosity. I don't have a problem with anyone until stuff gets pushed in my face.

Ooer

• Advertisement

Stop going to the gay sauna then.

Fair enough, but how is it in your face?

I mean, nobody forces us to go to gay marriage ceremonies or anything of that sort.

As a city-centre dweller, I used to feel a bit put-out by the inconvenience of gay pride, until I came round to the idea that it's a way for everyone to celebrate the leaps and bounds we've all made in terms of accepting people who are different, especially those with different lifestyle norms.

Like, there are people alive today who grew up feeling ashamed of themselves 365 days a year, and we give them a day to remind them that they're just as equal as we are. Seems more than fair.

That's also why I disagree with the OP. we're incredibly lucky to live amongst a bunch of people that allows you to be who you want, and to say so in public, without constraint. It doesn't matter if you're gay or an evangelical, you can be who you want and nobody can shout you down.

That's a massive credit to this country, in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That the op is making sure we know he's gay and sees things that aren't there in relation to socks I imagine his dislike for Christians preaching on our streets is due to them telling his choice of lifestyle is wrong.

If he wants to ban freedom of religion then let's ban the Patricks day parade, gay pride parade and all other parades that have a message, some of which is an affront to other sections of society. I particularly disliked the water charges marches as I thought it was a good idea and paid.
    Generally I don't go into town when I know a big parade/march/ protest is on. I suggest if these guys are a problem for him that he just passed by. No need to avoid the street as they don't take up the whole width of it, block traffic or block access to businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm sure if it was loads of muslim preachers you wouldnt be giving out about his intolerance.

Ah Joey, always bringing up the muslims

Your Face wrote: »
    Ooer

Not your face your face, his face your face.

• Advertisement

St Patrick's is one parade on one day.

Pride is one parade on one day.

Religious street preaching is becoming a weekly and even daily occurrence.

Our City has laws which they seem to be exempt from or ignore.

I don't see why they come here if they aren't going to integrate instead of trying to get us to convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

St Patrick's is one parade on one day.

Pride is one parade on one day.

Religious street preaching is becoming a weekly and even daily occurrence.

Our City has laws which they seem to be exempt from or ignore.

I don't see why they come here if they aren't going to integrate instead of trying to get us to convert.

Roads and streets are not shut down for these various relgious preachers.

That is the difference between this and Gay Pride, St Patricks day etc.

This is a complete non issue.

So only road users should be considered not pedestrians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

I walk by these preachers every day and they cause no harm.

Just get on with your life and stop complaining over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Looks like you are a lone voice call in the wilderness.

I suggest you build a bridge ....you do get where I'm going, don't you?:)

I'm so glad my father and grandfather fought in the 2 world wars so you could have the freedom to complain about other people's freedoms and try get them restricted.

I don't see why they come here if they aren't going to integrate
    Eh?

Who? The evangelical irish lads I see on Henry Street?

What are you on about?

I've seen one Northern Irish lad on a plinth at Henry Street.

The Jehovahs are mainly South American and European.

So I'm gonna step out of the thread now because every word I say is getting attacked.
    My point is Street Preaching should be restricted like any other 'Street Performer'.

The Irish for the most part rejected organised religion in the last 20 years and I find it sad to see these new religions take a hold here.

I don't want 'Jesus saves me' leaflets put through my door, I don't want to hear it walking down the street.

I hate organised religion, I agree that religious people have freedoms under the constitution but organisations/businesses should not.

And Religious Organisations like Iona should not be tax exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

They do me no direct harm, I just stroll by the same as I do with the chuggers. They're much worse for being in your face IMO.

I've seen one Northern Irish lad on a plinth at Henry Street.

The Jehovahs are mainly South American and European.

So I'm gonna step out of the thread now because every word I say is getting attacked.
    My point is Street Preaching should be restricted like any other 'Street Performer'.

The Irish for the most part rejected organised religion in the last 20 years and I find it sad to see these new religions take a hold here.

I don't want 'Jesus saves me' leaflets put through my door, I don't want to hear it walking down the street.

I hate organised religion, I agree that religious people have freedoms under the constitution but organisations/businesses should not.

And Religious Organisations like Iona should not be tax exempt.

I don't want Dominos leaflets in my post box but that's the cost of having a post box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hqdefault.jpg

4097612_std.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sure, they vaguely annoy me if they're going on in my ear en masse - same as buskers annoy me if it's a horde of saxophones (actually, saxes annoy me anyway - I am easily annoyed), but they have a right to be there and as long as they're not advocating loudly for the doom and destruction of anyone they don't like, they can wittle on as they like.

Don't see what this has to do with homosexuality, I get a whiff of a red herring here.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I don't want Dominos leaflets in my post box but that's the cost of having a post box.

Selling pizza and selling god are two very different things.

Samaris wrote: »
    Sure, they vaguely annoy me if they're going on in my ear en masse - same as buskers annoy me if it's a horde of saxophones (actually, saxes annoy me anyway - I am easily annoyed), but they have a right to be there and as long as they're not advocating loudly for the doom and destruction of anyone they don't like, they can wittle on as they like.

Don't see what this has to do with homosexuality, I get a whiff of a red herring here.

Every year before during and after pride people complain about 'gays pushing it in our faces'. My point is, I don't know if you read the thread, that this happens once a year and the Gay Community are condemned for it.

Why is it acceptable for Street Preachers every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Have you ever considered mindfulness, OP? It's a non-religious, but deeply spiritual practice that can be used for dealing with difficult emotions such as anger and intolerance.

Selling pizza and selling god are two very different things.

Yeah, the meal deals of bread and wine haven't a patch on pizza, warm cookies and some Ben and Jerry's

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

People should be strong enough.

As a gay man I don't understand weakness.

What are you on about, how does being a gay man remove weakness?

Have you ever considered mindfulness, OP? It's a non-religious, but deeply spiritual practice that can be used for dealing with difficult emotions such as anger and intolerance.

It's funny that my mental health has been called into question numerous times on this thread but the people who live their lives by a ghost in the sky are perfectly sane. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You do know that if you wanted, you set up a little stand near them with a banner saying "Being gay is pure sound" and try to talk people into being gay/coming out.

Unless they are actively being hateful, they're not doing any harm. Do I think they're deluded? Absolutely, but it's not for me to say that they can't try to garner more supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

It's a free country, people are free to express their opinions. They are free to spread awareness if what they believe in just like gay people are free to spread awareness of what they believe in.
    I think you are too uptight and you need to ' live and let live'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It's funny that my mental health has been called into question numerous times on this thread but the people who live their lives by a ghost in the sky are perfectly sane. :confused:

Noone said a word about your mental health.

Advertisement