Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The National are a good shout - grey, monotone and dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This post has been deleted.

Just clicked into AH before my drive home and saw this thread. Listened to Stone Roses the whole way home, cheers for the reminder how good they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fleetwood Mac. I'm still astounded by the sudden revival of actual young people listening to them. They're like the cheapest, blandest vanilla ice-cream from Crazy Prices.

I used to feel very similar to yourself when it came to Fleetwood Mac. That s*it was so slick, how could it be any good? But, I dunno - I think Rumours is a genuinely outstanding album. Yes, it's super glossy and palatable, but, man, the emotions and real feelings contained in the tunes are as raw as ground beef. I also think Tusk is a fantastic record, I don't think there's a bad song on it amongst the twenty and some of them are pretty out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Not sure if I'm falling into my own trap of confusing a band I don't like with overrated.....but..... Interpol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Over-rated means acclaimed to a degree you find offensive - nothing to do with actual popularity.

The Velvet Underground would be the right sort of band for this category if you happened not to like them. This means every band of real influence can be rightly accused of being over-rated.

Crystal Swing are a miss as no one rates them except as as some sort of post modern 'oh be the hokey would you look at that' type joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Anything Paul Weller did after he left The Jam.

It's amazing we can still hear what he's singing since he disappeared up his own arsehole.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Could also have mentioned My Bloody Valentine.

Right now Loveless is at number seven on the list of the greatest albums of all time on Rateyourmusic.com

It's a good album for sure, maybe a great one - but the seventh greatest of all time? Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

R.E.M.

Shout out to Nirvana also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I can and do all 3...the script are shyte.

Agree with you about The Script. Awful.

So what critically acclaimed records do you have?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LirW wrote: »
    I'm gonna take on that suicide move and call it:

The Beatles.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Not saying it was all ****e, aside from The Style Council, but it was overrated compared to The Jam.

Tears for Fears said it perfectly in their masterpiece, Sowing the Seeds of Love, which contained a famous dig at Weller...

Kick out the Style bring back the Jam...

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I think people are always very quick to praise Dylan's lyrics, deservedly, but they often short-change their praise in other areas. His voice gets the most flack.

But, here's the thing: Dylan has had many guises and phases through the years and with those has come, literally, many voices. I think Dylan is, or at least was, absolutely a good singer.

We all know the shambling, nasal stereotypical Dylan. I personally have no problem with that; it's hard to imagine some of those songs sang by another more "pretty" voice. Dylan's prickly, complicated personality comes through in his voice and adds something to the music - beyond the mere words, as amazing as they are.

But by the time he'd got to John Wesley Harding he had another tone to his voice. A kind of theatrical, natural storytelling type of delivery. I think his voice is great in this tune -

And what about Nashville Skyline?: an album in which he literally sounds like a completely different person. His voice was genuinely beautiful on that album: high, clear and precise, but with great emotion -

Or Blood on The Tracks? A bit more like the early days, but with added grit, depth and attitude. Once again, sounds great -

Then there's also, relatively, latter day Dylan, Time Out of Mind era lets say - I love how worn and wise he sounds. That's a human life, with a human voice -

I think it's damning Dylan with faint praise just to put his reputation down to his lyrics. You'd swear he almost sounds bad, but people love him as an intellectual excercise. No way man: Dylan sounds great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Morrissey - doctors still haven't discovered the means to remove his ego from his arse.

Kings of Leon - every song sounds the same! Every fu£king song.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    R.E.M.

Ah jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Rezident

Stone Roses have the best album of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Was never a fan of Stone Roses, but to say they were overrated is too much. They never achieved that status where they seemed to be everyone's favourite band - and to be fair they never chased after it either.

Big enough in the UK and a cult following abroad, but that's it.

Oasis, on the other hand.....

Morrissey - doctors still haven't discovered the means to remove his ego from his arse.

Hopefully they'll at least remove that whole dodgy racist/xenophobic stuff anyway.

I liked a good few Smiths songs, Sheila Take a Bow, How Soon is Now, Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before...but let's face it, it was Marr who made the band. Morrissey himself had some great songs as a solo artist like Suedehead...but as a singer he was distinctly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭smilerf

Stone roses Rolling stones Beatles oasis kings of Leon bon jovi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kings of Leon
    Coldplay
    The Killers

The middle of the road is overpopulated this last decade

I kind of like the Killers but I've never met anyone who rated them.

I've also never met anyone who didn't espouse the view that the KoL's first two albums were really good but the later stuff was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

For me it's the smiths or red hot chilli peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Radiohead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bon Fcuking Jovi, rom com hair metal, I just find them irritable along with Ratt and Poison and all that sh1te.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The Doors.
    One of the best bands of all time. The End, Riders on the Storm, Light my Fire, LA Woman are all time great songs
    beertons wrote: »
    Radiohead and U2 for me. Never got the whole fascination with them.
    I like Radiohead, but still think they're seriously over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Radiohead

Noòooooooooooooòooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭smilerf

The Doors

Cienciano wrote: »
    One of the best bands of all time. The End, Riders on the Storm, Light my Fire, LA Woman are all time great songs

The Doors are underrated, if anything. The stoner mythos that exists around them puts people off I think and I think they're seen as a somewhat cheesy band. But, byjaysus, those boys were serious musicans and top notch songwriters and they fired it all out in such a short space of time. Standards were pretty goddamn high in the sixties/ early seventies and even then they stood out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Stone roses were a great band with just two albums. I don't know how they could be considered over rated.

don't get me started on Rem. Still listen to document, green and possibly my favourite album new adventures in hi fi.

James?? Some good songs but don't remember anyone describing them as their favourite band or anything so over rated I don't think so. They were like ocean colour scene or the charlatans where plenty liked them but I don't remember anyone being completely awed by them.

Every now and then a band seems to get a resurgence in popularity that seems a bit faddish. Pixies though I like we're one and the other who I would vote most over rated were the ramones. The ramones went from a band I was aware of but not into to all of a sudden on a lot of tshirts and people raving about them as if they were just out.

Advertisement