Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bingo.

It's why I can't abide people who slate the likes of Bieber. I can't stand his music but there's no doubt that he's a talented kid.

Terrible thing is a few songs off his last album were actually belters of tunes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nirvana. Not great to begin with but would've been forgotten about by now if not for a shotgun.

Ah now, whatever about whether you like or dislike them, they had a fairly huge impact on what was in the charts at the time, defined numerous genres and subgenres, and their follow up - despite being quite difficult to listen to at times - went straight in at number one.

All that long before he killed himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've just got here but can see it's already gone the 'Unusual people you fancy' thread-wise.

So many bands that were NEVER rated mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Hermitage Green, can't understand the love there for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Syphonax wrote: »
    I can name a song from every other band listed here and could properly do so for most 'known' bands but serioulsy cant think of one for Stone Roses.

And btw

AC/ fooking /DC

most overrated band ever pure tripe

If you know nothing at all about them, why do you then think they are over rated. How can you have an opinion on something you know nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

hcass wrote: »
    What about when black people do it? That ok?

Possibly, but a bunch of middle class whites sitting in a circle singing about living in slums in Kingston? Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

dirtyden wrote: »
    If you know nothing at all about them, why do you then think they are over rated. How can you have an opinion on something you know nothing about.

That's the definition of modern online discourse.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Hermitage Green, can't understand the love there for them

Wouldn't say they're rated at all. They played Eyeries Parish Hall last summer, and a nite club in Castletownbere this summer, so while they are growing they've still a bit to go to catch the Stone Roses, the Strokes, Coldplay, the Eagles and other acts mentioned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Kings of Leon
    Coldplay
    The Killers

The middle of the road is overpopulated this last decade

Loved by chung wans and checkered shirt wearing lads from the sticks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Guns n Roses

I don't know how anyone could think that tbh. Although you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Have you ever actually listened to some of their older stuff? It really doesn't get much better, music wise, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Syphonax wrote: »
    Ive heard of the band, just none of there songs springs to mind which to me says a lot.

Says alot about you !

I am sure if you listen to Fools gold or Love Spreads you will remember the songs as they got a lot of airplay back in the day.

Didn't Eamonn Grumpy used to have it on his radio programme? Not sure whether Matt Looper still uses it on that show

In fairness, some of their lyrics were excellent
    Don't waste your words I don't need
    Anything from you
    I don't care where you've been or
    What you plan to do
    I am the resurrection and I am the life
    I couldn't ever bring myself
    To hate you as I'd like

How has nobody mentioned "spermdotcom"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

As a band who are really highly rated here in Ireland, by many, I find The Frames are very overrated.

On the basis that I dislike them and the fuss that follows them around, Bruce Springstein and the E street band are very overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There's a band here in Germany called Manowar, who are easily one of the most talentless groups to have decided to make and release an album. Now heavy metal is a musical genre that has almost no artistic or musical merit anyway, but these chancers take the biscuit. They are loved by small little fat men in denim jackets who hang around rock bars. The same sort of men who tend to work in the lower rungs of IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    Possibly, but a bunch of middle class whites sitting in a circle singing about living in slums in Kingston? Ugh.
    DO you live on/near a hippy commune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

There's a band here in Germany called Manowar, who are easily one of the most talentless groups to have decided to make and release an album. Now heavy metal is a musical genre that has almost no artistic or musical merit anyway, but these chancers take the biscuit. They are loved by small little fat men in denim jackets who hang around rock bars. The same sort of men who tend to work in the lower rungs of IT.

I like heavy metal :( There are some really good bands but there is a lot of horrendous stuff too. But in general, heavy metal isn't rated too highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

MUSE

Absolute Muck and the Radiohead comparisons were far too generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Crystal Swing ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How has nobody mentioned "spermdotcom"?

Who knew that Roose Bolton was also a Rapper.

After listening to that, no wonder his son murdered him. :P

• Advertisement

Anything Paul Weller did after he left The Jam.

hcass wrote: »
    DO you live on/near a hippy commune?

No but I've encountered enough wannabe rastas to hate them for a lifetime. They're as a bad as the wiggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Anything Paul Weller did after he left The Jam.

You do something to me, something deep inside!!!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Blur, most of their early albums are just novelty/gimmicky songs. May as well be listening to the monster mash.

john.han wrote: »
    Blur, most of their early albums are just novelty/gimmicky songs. May as well be listening to the monster mash.

Funnily enough Blur were a band I hated back in the day but now think are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fleetwood Mac. I'm still astounded by the sudden revival of actual young people listening to them. They're like the cheapest, blandest vanilla ice-cream from Crazy Prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    Funnily enough Blur were a band I hated back in the day but now think are alright.

I do think Blur, 13 and Think Tank were decent albums but could never understood the hype around them before that (or the hype when the they reformed and toured... ) I always find it unusual when bands come back after a hiatus and people have re-imagined them in the meantime as a much bigger act then they ever were originally, nostalgia plays a big part.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    You do something to me, something deep inside!!!
    :mad:

Not saying it was all ****e, aside from The Style Council, but it was overrated compared to The Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

Arctic Monkeys. Could never get into them. And my unpopular opinion nomination; Leonard Cohen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

To be honest, I think The Stone Roses are as good an answer as I can think of to this hoary old question. But there's also Neutral Milk Hotel -

I don't hate them. How could I - I want to Be Adored, I Am The Resurrection, Waterfall - those are some bona fide indisputable classics; cracking tunes from a really great band. But, I'm sorry, they are simply not one of the greatest bands of all time - which was something that was and still is said frequently enough, especially around the time of their reformation. I had a friend that used to swear blind they were better than The Beatles. Jesus Christ - I know music is all about subjective taste and all that malarkey, but that's as close to an objective falsehood as you're ever likely to hear. They didn't leave a truly great legacy as far as I'm concerned: one classic album and another that honestly very, very few talk about today. I'm not saying that they are a bad band, but just they have no business being up in there in conversations about "the greatest", amongst the truly legendary bands of the sixties, seventies and onwards. They are overrated.

Neutral Milk Hotel released In The Aeroplane Over The Sea back in 1998 and it took 10 years for that album's reputation to balloon to a point of ludicrousness. I will concede that The Stone Roses - while being overrated - at least were good: NMH, on the other hand, are terrible. Jeff Magnum's excruciatingly loud, out of tune and corny bellowing makes me wish I was deaf whenever I have the misfortune to hear it. Christ, an absolute stinker of a band.

When it comes to more "modern" bands I'd have to put The National up there. They are widely beloved, but they do absolutely nothing for me. I find them boring, morose and slow.

But to get onto the real pressing issue of The Thread: favourite metal album. It's a tough choice between ...And Justice For All or Reign In Blood. I love how cold ...AJFA feels. It's, by far, Metallica's most genuinely angry album. But it's a cold, simmering anger. And when you mix that with their most ambitious musicianship ever, you get something terrifying, but also awe inspiring: love that album. I'd probably have to vote for RIB over it though, just. Evil never sounded like so much fun. And that opening screech that turns into a roar that Tom Araya does right at the beginning of Angel of Death get's me going each and every time.

Advertisement