Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Never heard of them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Maroon 5 and The Script aren't rated, or even over-rated. They are just popular, but not critically popular.

Stone Roses, GNR, Stones, etc are all good examples, whether you agree with them or not. I don't agree with the Stone Roses, but do the others.

Another one for me, ahem, would be David Bowie. I just never "got" Bowie so to me I find him over-rated as I've never heard a Bowie song or album that's made me go "woh". Saying that I don't mind Jean Genie and Starman. But it's just 70's glam to me. I'd much rather T-Rex and would rate Bolan higher than Bowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Syphonax wrote: »
    Havent heard that one actually myself, Ima sort of an oldie 1980s metal fan, the newer stuff aint familer to me, though I say that song probs sounds like the Classic Cannibal Corpse Entrails ripped through a Virgin C**t :pac:

That was a shot in the dark !
    Never quite got Death Metal , always leaned towards thrash .

Now if you had said Slayer or Anthrax it would take more than a pint to get through the songs I could discuss with you .

I too like the old 80s metal. Mekong Delta anyone? Testament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭PGE1970

This post has been deleted.

There are times like this that I would like Boards to have a thumbs down button.

No offence OP, but if you were around in the mid to late 1980s, you would realise how important bands like the Smiths, Stone Roses etc were as an antidote to Stock Aitken & Waterman, Whitney Houston and Bros.

• Advertisement

Now if you had said Slayer or Anthrax it would take more than a pint to get through the songs I could discuss with you .

Deicide and Morbid Angel, their first two albums esp Legion and Alters of Madness I actualy still have vinyl, sort of went a bit mad into music when growing up, started listening to Bon Jovi and GnR first and ended up listening to Suffocation and Miasma!

Miasma are the sickest death meal band ever btw!!

Never liked Anthrax, how they became one of the Big 4 is a mystery to me, surely Sepultura where overlooked there

I too like the old 80s metal. Mekong Delta anyone? Testament?

Ive heard some Testament but cant say I was a fan, never heard of Mekong Delta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Another one for me, ahem, would be David Bowie. I just never "got" Bowie so to me I find him over-rated as I've never heard a Bowie song or album that's made me go "woh". Saying that I don't mind Jean Genie and Starman. But it's just 70's glam to me. I'd much rather T-Rex and would rate Bolan higher than Bowie.

David Bowie is a God amongst insects - GTFO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Oasis
    The Strokes
    The Libertines/Pete Doherty

• Advertisement

Ive heard some Testament but cant say I was a fan, never heard of Mekong Delta

Sort of prog / experimental metal. German. One album "The Music Of Erich Zann" was good. If you like that sort of thing. :pac:

Sort of prog / experimental metal. German. One album "The Music Of Erich Zann" was good. If you like that sort of thing. :pac:

The weirder the better :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Deicide and Morbid Angel, their first two albums esp Legion and Alters of Madness I actualy still have vinyl, sort of went a bit mad into music when growing up, started listening to Bon Jovi and GnR first and ended up listening to Suffocation and Miasma!

Miasma are the sickest death meal band ever btw!!

Suffocation's first album is immense. As is Immolation's.

I always preferred Tech Death like Pestilence, Death, Cynic and Atheist more than out and out brutal death metal like Cannibal Corpse.

Obituary would be the exception to that rule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Oasis
    The Strokes
    The Libertines/Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty - just couldn't understand the obsession with him, lauded as the "young person's poet", young women quoting his lyrics as if he was the second coming of Christ but all I could see was a rat faced dope fiend with all the charm and wisdom of an ingrown toe nail

Oasis and The Strokes were OK in small doses

The stone roses were far from overrated. The new songs released were horrendous though. Like something a group of eleven year old might compose

I agree and I'm a big fan.

But for each of the new ones, you have Waterfall, This is the One, Elephant Stone (which immediately takes me back to 1990), Where Angels Play, Made of Stone etc.

What a legacy to leave.

I like that this is now a "what thrash metal albums do you like"? thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

Music is subjective and musical snobbery is mortifying. That being said, I never got Radiohead or Muse. Not my bag.

Oh and you're wrong about the Roses, they're brilliant ;)

Suffocation's first album is immense. As is Immolation's.

I always preferred Tech Death like Pestilence, Death, Cynic and Atheist more than out and out brutal death metal like Cannibal Corpse.

Obituary would be the exception to that rule though.

Im not a fan of sub genreing the sub genre of death metal! you probualy wouldnt like Malevolent Creation but there Retribution and Will to Kill are killer albums.

Miasma though are pioneers to all the Grindcore Deathcore BS genres its all Death Metal to me though

It's really hard to call bands overrated. Each to their own etc.

I don't get Ed Sheeran but clearly millions do. Are they wrong and I'm right? Of course not. To me he is a whiny, anodyne saccharin sweet performer churning out hits to appease a mass market. There is nothing novel or original in his music. However, I stress that I am not his market being 47 years old!

I also dislike Coldplay but I can understand a little more why they appeal. Not for me though.

Are they overrated? By me - yes. By millions of others? No.

However, millions of others may hate The Smiths, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, The Stone Roses, Suede, Pulp, blur, Oasis, Radiohead and others.

They may consider them to be overrated.

But - they are all wrong!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nirvana. Not great to begin with but would've been forgotten about by now if not for a shotgun.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nirvana. Not great to begin with but would've been forgotten about by now if not for a shotgun.

Not a fan but could easily name 4 or 5 songs as to zero for the Stone Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is that supposed to be indicative of something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

John Squire - arguably the greatest guitarist of his generation.

Reni - arguably the greatest drummer of his generation, but a bit of an arse.

Mani - bassist with 2 of the biggest bands in the 90s.

Ian Brown - a dodgy singer but as a performer he is a fantastic frontman.

Overrated indeed.

If you don't know their material, how can you consider them overrated?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be indicative of something?

Possible that the Stones are the most overrated band?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

I like that this is now a "what thrash metal albums do you like"? thread.

Carcass, heatwork.
    And devine intervention by slayer is very under rated

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Radiohead and U2 for me. Never got the whole fascination with them.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    If you don't know their material, how can you consider them overrated?

Because of just that fact. Most artists id say I have heard of some of their material, either on the TV radio or whatever, the fact ive never heard of their stuff would believe me to think that they are either pretty average or over rated but yes having never heard their music I cannot say wheter I like them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

LirW wrote: »
    I'm gonna take on that suicide move and call it:

The Beatles.

I agree.

• Advertisement

gw80 wrote: »
    Carcass, heatwork.
    And devine intervention by slayer is very under rated

Heartwork was disappointing for me, massive of Necroticism though, top top album that has one of the best Death Metal music vids ever.

Advertisement