Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Coldplay - bland blandness where al their songs sound the same.

Music for pr1cks to hold up lighters to at their concerts.

And lately the whole "we've all just floated through an Indian village of colour & love" vibe that they throw out!! F**K OFF - the songs are still bland sh1te

They even all look like pr1cks!! Pr1cks who probably drink frocka mocca herbal tea and play chess!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

I'd definitely put the Strokes up there. They're a decent garage rock band with a couple of great tunes, but it always amazes me when people mention them alongside other great New York bands like Television and the Velvet Underground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Syphonax wrote: »
    Because of just that fact. Most artists id say I have heard of some of their material, either on the TV radio or whatever, the fact ive never heard of their stuff would believe me to think that they are either pretty average or over rated but yes having never heard their music I cannot say wheter I like them or not.

I can guarantee you know their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Because of just that fact. Most artists id say I have heard of some of their material, either on the TV radio or whatever, the fact ive never heard of their stuff would believe me to think that they are either pretty average or over rated but yes having never heard their music I cannot say wheter I like them or not.

No offence but I think this is where your whole hypothesis comes unstuck.

Because of my kids, I am too familiar with Ed Sheeran's music. Ditto with Justin Bieber and some Lana lady that they force upon me. I can say, unequivocally, that it is not for me.

I see that you seem to like a band called Obituary. I see from Google that they are a "death metal band". I have never heard their music hence I simply cannot call them overrated or, indeed, wonderful.

I will, however, look them up to see if they are good. Whu not? They can't be worse than Bieber!

Give the Roses a chance. If you listen to their albums (only two) and you don't like them, fine.

You never know, I might see you at the next Obituary gig. Is the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire still open?? :D

• Advertisement

I'd definitely put the Strokes up there. They're a decent garage rock band with a couple of great tunes, but it always amazes me when people mention them alongside other great New York bands like Television and the Velvet Underground

They completely changed the musical landscape of the early 00s when they released Is This It. That's the moment rock music came back to the fore instead of dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Heartwork was disappointing for me, massive of Necroticism though, top top album that has one of the best Death Metal music vids ever.

Mmm, pretty good alright, but i raise you, morbid angel, "God of emptiness" epic song, epic video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I like that this is now a "what thrash metal albums do you like"? thread.

Far beyond driven

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Here we go, every band, who have been successful and influential or going to be deemed rubbish by an internet poster who can't sing, play an instrument or write music.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Here we go, every band, who have been successful and influential or going to be deemed rubbish by an internet poster who can't sing, play an instrument or write music.

Bingo.

It's why I can't abide people who slate the likes of Bieber. I can't stand his music but there's no doubt that he's a talented kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

*Insert hugely successful band here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Second Coming album is underrated if anything - an absolute beast of an album

I haven't listened to it in a while, from what I remember it sounded a bit like cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Bob 'fcuking' Dylan. Absolutely awful singer and I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees. He has a horrible nauseating voice, has zero tone and his songs/music are very hard to listen to.

I really do like his voice. It's not what would be considered a traditionally good voice but it's iconic and it suits his songs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Never understood the hype about Metallica.

Same with Arcade Fire.

They completely changed the musical landscape of the early 00s when they released Is This It. That's the moment rock music came back to the fore instead of dance music.

I think you may be overemphasising the place of Is This It.

The biggest selling acts at the time were not dance, they were Eminem, nu metal acts like Linkin Park, and the whole Backstreet Boys/Britney/N Sync stuff. The biggest dance genre was trance, but that's a very European trend anyway and was not affected by New York garage/indie.

Think Is This It certainly put garage rock back in the charts, but it didn't settle some dance v rock struggle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm imagining Julian Casablancas having to practice in an actual garage now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Bob Marley. Cringey when white people start talking about him as some kind of god.

The Specials. Green Day. Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Take That - overrated? How can you be overrated if you're not even rated? They are what they are - a boyband who put on a good live show - and I think they're aware of it.

The Doors are overrated - probably a lot to do with Jim Morrison dying at 27 - they don't deserve the hype. Jim Morrison was a total arse who wrote sh*t songs and even sh*tter poetry.

The Eagles - absolute middle of the road, easy listening, country & western badly disguised as folk rock rubbish.

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    Bob Marley. Cringey when white people start talking about him as some kind of god.

What about when black people do it? That ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This post has been deleted.

Get the fúck out of it ya daft cúnt!

• Advertisement

hcass wrote: »
    The Eagles - absolute middle of the road, easy listening, country & western badly disguised as folk rock rubbish.

The Eagles were dross, but were they ever rated that highly? It was kinda harmless easy listening stuff for people who like bland soulless muzak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Resist ZOG wrote: »

Green Day, I do agree with!

I didn't mind them but then I was in Orlando and there was a group of forty something year olds that acted like something from the film American Pie going on about how great they were and I was thinking "no they're not that good"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

murpho999 wrote: »

I can and do all 3...the script are shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Erik Shin wrote: »
    James were arguably the most hyped and overrated band of the last 30 years
    You're having a laugh I presume? Outside of a few months in 1991, how were they ever over-rated? And that's referring to commercially successful which can be a different thing.

The Eagles were dross, but were they ever rated that highly? It was kinda harmless easy listening stuff for people who like bland soulless muzak.

Eh - yeah. They routinely take a place in 100 greatest bands of all time lists.

And I agree completely with your description - that's why they're overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People need to learn the difference between 'overrated' and 'I don't like'. People need to stop whining about the popularity of the likes of The Script too. They're aimed at teenage girls. If you're male and/or over the age of about 18 you're not their target audience. You might as well complain about two year olds watching Teletubbies rather than The Wire.
    Ive heard of the band, just none of there songs springs to mind which to me says a lot.

Their Song Fools Gold was big enough for Run DMC, one of the biggest rap groups ever, to sample the bass line from.

How can you say something is overrated if you've never even heard it by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm imagining Julian Casablancas having to practice in an actual garage now.

Considering he went to Le Rosey, the most expensive boarding school in the world and his father runs the Elite Modelling Agency, I'm sure money is never going to be an issue for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Was that not around the time hip hop overtook rock as the biggest selling music genre?

I do like Is This It and it is one of the more influential albums of this century so far, but it always baffles me when it's compared to the likes of Marquee Moon or the Velvet Underground and Nico, even Turn on the Bright Lights if we're talking about it's New York contemporaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Kings of Leon
    Coldplay
    The Killers

The middle of the road is overpopulated this last decade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Second Coming album is underrated if anything - an absolute beast of an album

It's pure scutter - an embarrasment of an album.

Just get the 20th Anniversary Edition of the debut album with all the Silvertone singles and B Sides included and that's all you need. Standing Here, Where Angels Play, Going Down… ah, great tunes.

Advertisement