Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated band ever - The Stone Roses

Options

Comments

I agree with the Doors. Just some guy noodling along on a moog and the whole Jim Morrison thing, found most of their stuff kinda boring and not nearly as gripping as fans would have you believe. But may be biased as lived through the whole revival almost 30 years ago when the Oliver Stone film was released and everyone was doing the whole Morrison demi God thing.

This post has been deleted.

Cant accept this. The Stone Roses were always a niche band that you either liked or didnt like irrregardless of your prefered genres of music. yes they are popular but in my opinion they were never overrated....underrated if anything. Its all subjective really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

About 10 years ago I came across a live version of a depeche mode song, " damaged people " sung by Martin Gore and remember thinking ...." Is this a joke " had a look through a few more tracks and thought

" how have these guys been going so long " absolute rubbish !!!!!

10 years later they are my favorite band.....like how the hell did that happen . maybe I'm the joke!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Florence and the machine
    Gavin James
    The Blizzards
    UB40 (has a somewhat rough element in of the fan base)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Relax bro. Let's not fight.

In fairness, you did say people don't listen to him for his voice. I think for some people his voice is part of the package - it is for me anyway.

I get a little tired of hearing people praise his lyrics and neglecting or downplaying other aspects of the music - there's more to Dylan than just lyrics, but, sure, that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement

About 10 years ago I came across a live version of a depeche mode song, " damaged people " sung by Martin Gore and remember thinking ...." Is this a joke " had a look through a few more tracks and thought

" how have these guys been going so long " absolute rubbish !!!!!

10 years later they are my favorite band.....like how the hell did that happen . maybe I'm the joke!!!!

If you're lucky enough to see DM live, it's an amazing experience. Gahan is possibly the best front man of any band. They've had a few duds, think Violator is overrated myself and prefer stuff like Stripped, Never Let Me Down and Blasphemous Rumours. But WHAT a group. The only act I've seen live that beats them was Underworld. And if you don't like Underworld live, just...give up.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    UB40 (has a somewhat rough element in of the fan base)

It's an awful shame UB 40 became so associated with skangers, because their early stuff like King, 1 in 10, Food for Thought, Rat in Mi Kitchen...they were great. But in the 90s they churned out dross.

It's an awful shame UB 40 became so associated with skangers, because their early stuff like King, 1 in 10, Food for Thought, Rat in Mi Kitchen...they were great. But in the 90s they churned out dross.

There's 2 UB40's touring atm

One is playing a few dates in Ireland in the next few weeks and features Ali Campbell, Astro and some other guy and the other UB40 features a load of other guys with Ali Campbells brother singing

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There's 2 UB40's touring atm

One is playing a few dates in Ireland in the next few weeks and features Ali Campbell, Astro and some other guy and the other UB40 features a load of other guys with Ali Campbells brother singing

Yeah, think their accountant left them penniless and bankrupt and the whole thing collapsed in acrimony.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I agree with the Doors. Just some guy noodling along on a moog and the whole Jim Morrison thing, found most of their stuff kinda boring and not nearly as gripping as fans would have you believe. But may be biased as lived through the whole revival almost 30 years ago when the Oliver Stone film was released and everyone was doing the whole Morrison demi God thing.
    Yeah, the hero worship around Jim Morrison is a bit OTT and I could never understand it. Probably the whole dying young and being good looking thing. That said, I love The Doors, I think their music is great, but the mythology that has been built up around them probably does their (musical) legacy no favours. It becomes more about Jim Morrison as opposed to being about four musicians in a band.

• Advertisement

Yeah, think their accountant left them penniless and bankrupt and the whole thing collapsed in acrimony.

The whole is a big mess

They have some tunes which sound unreal when your drunk and always feature at weddings/parties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭conspiracycat

Bruce Springsteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Clueless post OP.

Coldplay was the band you were looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Underworld...a mixing desk and strobe lights ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Manic Street Preachers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rezident wrote: »
    Stone Roses have the best album of all time.
    Ehhh... I love the Roses and they're up there alright R, but...
    godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The whole thing is entirely subjective, but, given that disclaimer, I'll go for Radiohead.

I've never been a fan of the 'you just don't get them' argument, as it could be used about anything, and it's used a lot with Radiohead, but, yeah, I just don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Stone Roses. Anthropomorphic furniture
    I wanna
    I wanna
    I wanna
    I wanna be a door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Daft Punk, absolute sh1te, prancing around with them stupid helmets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Anything Sting did after the Police

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭PGE1970

For me, I've always found it hard to like Van Morrison. A few good songs- yes, but one of the greatest, no.

For those of you mentioning The Smiths/Morrissey, hang your heads. You may not like the man but they are a seminal band of a decade and have influenced and inspired many subsequent artists. I would also consider them a niche band with a reasonably narrow following so they can hardly be overrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

LCD Soundsystem.

Middle aged fat bloke in check shirt shouting.

*runs and hides*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I'd throw The Who into the mix

Wtf were they about ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

LCD Soundsystem.

Middle aged fat bloke in check shirt shouting.

*runs and hides*

No it goes... :)

"It's like a fat guy in a T-shirt
    Doing all the saying
    It's like a couple dads and a few friends
    Trying hard to stay in"

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Yes. The beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Zoorapa is amazing. Only true "experimental" U2 album people dont like it as it hasnt the same copy and paste template of their other albums.

Green Day terribly over rated IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anything Sting did after including the Police

Fixed that for you.

Advertisement