Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right-wing vs. Left-wing Clashes [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Nody wrote: »
    Not only that but they already released the name of the guy and guess what; 4chan had it not only completely wrong but it turns out to be a white male trump supporter who happened to be white suprematist; what a surprise.

My bad then.
    Bloom was informed by The AP reporter that the rally was indeed organized by white nationalists. "I thought it had something to do with Trump. Trump's not a white supremacist," she said.

"He had an African-American friend so ...," she said before her voice trailed off.

Well clearly it wasn't an act of racism :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

AnGaelach wrote: »
    I've no idea what you're even talking about, I'm not a 14 year old who skulks around on 4chan. You need to take a breather.

Ah, so you see something on Twitter and expect it to be true because it suits your narrative, without actually bothering to check the -source- of the information.

I could have sworn 'Fake News' was one of the big complaints of the right and Trump supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah, so you see something on Twitter and expect it to be true because it suits your narrative, without actually bothering to check the -source- of the information.

No aye I should immediately consult the same media that covered up sexual attacks on a thousand women and covered up sex attacks on underage teens at a student summer festival.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gbear wrote: »
    Surely only if you think that emancipation was a bad thing, no?

I mean, if they'd called it something like "White Privelige Park" or something that generally takes a swipe at white people, Chritianity, the Confederacy, Nationalism or whatever then you might have a point, but it's just renaming it to a unambiguously good thing?

The outcome of the civil war was emancipation (even though that was not the aim of the union at the start of the war but that's another debate).

If you are going to rename the park from one side of the civil war to that of the other (in this case the outcome of the other) then it's going to be seen by one side as an attack on their heritage.

A neutral name would have made more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

No aye I should immediately consult the same media that covered up sexual attacks on a thousand women and covered up sex attacks on underage teens at a student summer festival.:rolleyes:

Daft argument. Check all sources, actual news organisations of different backgrounds.

Not some bloke on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Or, y'know, the facts. Which you were completely incorrect about. Look, if the random bit of unsourced information that you're not even sure where you picked it up from (since you don't go on 4chan as you said) both goes against all the known facts of the case AND conveniently supports your viewpoint, for god's sake start treating it with a bit of basic skepticism or you'll spend the next couple of years being run around by nonsense too.

By the way, what did this have to do with my condemning speculation in line with the rules of the forum I suspect you're talking about? Was there a connection or was that autowhataboutery to buy time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ricero wrote: »
    By what i have read it seems like the liberal idiots and the scum antifa started the violence yesterday.

Try reading other sources than what /r/The_Dorito_Cult spoonfeeds you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You know, an awful lot of people, when asked by their grandchildren what it was like living in the early-century turmoil and what they did will most likely have to answer "I argued a lot on the internet about it", but there's gonna be a fair amount that may have to honestly say "I found it hilarious and trolled the people worried about it because I hated liberals far more than I hated white supremacists."

Actually not related to the last page or so, just a general observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

By what i have read it seems like the liberal idiots and the scum antifa started the violence yesterday.

Horrible incident and i expect not the last of its kind in america

Everybody knows antifa are up to their necks in violence so when it goes unmentioned by the left and some media it makes people suspicious. Why aren't they reporting honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Two groups of dicks that didn't have the cop on to stay away from each other and the Police should have kept them separate as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The car was allegedly registered to the father of an anti-Trump guy who said the car was his on social media. It looks like he ran over the wrong crowd and was probably looking for the "far-right".

Are people just making things like this up now? You'll find others saying the exact opposite.
    T Seeing as how the police haven't released any details about the driver, ...... I'd call deflecting.

The info is out there.

In general this thread rates high on the nonsense scale, there's so much rubbish posted in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

I actually can't believe a human  can somehow justisfy this murder. Ploughing into a group of people is ruthless aggression.

It is act of savage violence. He will receive the full whip of the law. He is no different to ISIS scum.

To be un-pc about it. The dimness on show yesterday. A cesspool of idiocy. A movement of hate. Un-educated morons.
    I have read over everyones post on this thread, I don,t think anyone is trying justify it, what some people are trying to say normalisation of political violence is stupid & leads down a dangerous path in the longer term, in the last year political violence against Trump supporters has being normalised people have physically attacked for supporting Trump/wearing Trump t shirts/ physically attacked  for wanting to go hear pro trump speaker at their local college/local uni/ pro Trump speakers have being targeted with violence + riots in the streets to prevent their speaking engagement going ahead.
    Everytime there is a pro Trump rally or a pro Trump speaker at a public speaking event there is a call by Antifa groups on social media for " Direct Action against it " which is a code for political violence  against people you disagree with, anyone who calls for political violence or anyone who takes part in political violence has helped + played his/her part in the normalisation of political violence , those who oppose Trump have two options open to them ( 1 ) continue on this current path of normalised political violence which leads to dangerous consequences or ( 2 ) engage Trump supporters in open public rational debate , I think we all know which of the two is the safer more reasonable option in the longer term .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are people just making things like this up now? You'll find others saying the exact opposite.
    It was doing the rounds on alt right twitter accounts around midnight as "justification" how it was not actually a Trump white supremacist who was the cause of it. Hell the KKK Grand Master at a time even stated it was actually a black person in the car (how he'd know that seeing he were no where close to the car and the photos of the arrest dispelled that fact is another "I grasp things out of thing air" moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Selective reading will always give you confirmation bias.

It isn't helpful to use memes that are factually incorrect to make a point.
    Photo 1 in that meme, Antifa rioted in the streets + destroyed property to prevent free speech event with Milo, Photo 2 they violently attacked a guy for the thoughtcrime of wearing a Trump t shirt , photo 3 they attacked a guy who wanted to go to the Milo event to hear him speak, photo 4 they attacked an old age pensioner at a pro Trump rally .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Because nothing happens in a vacuum, if there hadn,t of been endless political violence by militant left wingers over the last year its highly doubtful that some lone nut would of felt the need to do what he did today " violence breeds violence " .

Yes, the left lead to a war about slavery and Nazism.

The Confederates and Nazis had their ideologies long before any of these people were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Kkk and Antifa are the same in my eyes. Both extremists. If this march had been allowed to pass off peacefully, that would probably be the end of it but now I'd say Kkk, far right, etc will step up a campaign to protest and disrupt marches on the other side. Sort of revenge events.

The guy who plowed the car into protesters Im not sure how he could mount a defence to his behaviour.

Not sure removing statues is a great idea either. General Lee was an important figure in American history who was a brilliant battlefield General often defeating superior forces. His surrender rather than fight an insurgency helped end the war and helped will reconciliation of both sides.

Whole event looked like something from the early civil rights era

This is the thing the type of individual who joins the Klan or Antifa operate with the same mindset, absolutist thinking, authoritarian but believe themselves to be otherwise, passionate about repressing others they dislike and willing to use violence to do it, they use an ideological platform to allow them to project.

Antifa and the Klan should be all rounded up and dropped off on a deserted Island. They'll find they have more in common than they think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Horrible incident and i expect not the last of its kind in america
    If they went looking for trouble then they found it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I have read over everyones post on this thread, I don,t think anyone is trying justify it
    Really? So what do you call your own post then?
    Lets ask the question if there wasn,t countless Antifa violence over the last year, would that driver of still snapped in [/font][/size][/color]Charlottesville ?
    Justification? Oh he snapped 'cause it's all Antifa's fault anyway. Which you doubled down on as the excuse with:
    Because nothing happens in a vacuum, if there hadn,t of been endless political violence by militant left wingers over the last year its highly doubtful that some lone nut would of felt the need to do what he did today " violence breeds violence " .
    Btw; you still did no answer my question if you are ok with 911 since that was based on the same justification of violence breeds violence. If you're ok with this guy driving in due to seeing violence you have to be ok with 911 done based on the same justification.

But let's continue about the "no justification in thread" claim:
    I don't believe it was his intent when he woke up in the morning. If he was planning on that sort of attack, he probably wouldn't use a nice car registered in his own name. Either use a banger or rent a van. I reckon he took a wrong turn, the mob clocked him as an evil white man, he panicked in fear for his life and pressed the accelerator instead of the break. It happens quite often.

Clearly no one is trying to justify in on thread, no sir...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The Confederates and Nazis had their ideologies long before any of these people were born.
    People should read Shelby Foote on the war between the states.

• Advertisement

In the last year it was elements of the left who created the path for the normalisation of political violence not Trump supporters .

Nody wrote: »
    I have read over everyones post on this thread, I don,t think anyone is trying justify it
    Really? So what do you call your own post then?
    Lets ask the question if there wasn,t countless Antifa violence over the last year, would that driver of still snapped in [/font][/size][/color]Charlottesville ?
    Justification? Oh he snapped 'cause it's all Antifa's fault anyway. Which you doubled down on as the excuse with:
    Btw; you still did no answer my question if you are ok with 911 since that was based on the same justification of violence breeds violence. If you're ok with this guy driving in due to seeing violence you have to be ok with 911 done based on the same justification.

But let's continue about the "no justification in thread" claim:
    I don't believe it was his intent when he woke up in the morning.  If he was planning on that sort of attack, he probably wouldn't use a nice car registered in his own name.  Either use a banger or rent a van.  I reckon he took a wrong turn, the mob clocked him as an evil white man, he panicked in fear for his life and pressed the accelerator instead of the break.  It happens quite often.

Clearly no one is trying to justify in on thread, no sir...
    I will rephrase it in better way , if political violence wasn,t normalised over the past year would things of lead to what they lead to yesterday in Charlottesville ? " ok with 9/11 " ?  why would I or any rational person be ok with 9/11 ? of course Im not ok with 9/11 as Im a rational person not an Islamic extremist .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The outcome of the civil war was emancipation (even though that was not the aim of the union at the start of the war but that's another debate).

If you are going to rename the park from one side of the civil war to that of the other (in this case the outcome of the other) then it's going to be seen by one side as an attack on their heritage.

A neutral name would have made more sense.

Only if their heritage is in conflict with that name directly.

You'd have a point if they changed it from a Confederate general's name to a Union general's.

Instead they changed it to a name representing the abolition of slavery.

If that's in conflict with their heritage, then that's saying their heritage is horrific racism.
    If that's the case and they throw a strop because you're undermining their heritage, then nobody should indulge their tantrum, anymore than they should for Nazi's in Germany or Communists in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

In the last year it was elements of the left who created the path for the normalisation of political violence not Trump supporters.
    That reminds me...

In the last year it was elements of the left who created the path for the normalisation of political violence not Trump supporters .

The world didn't begin a year ago. Nazis killed over 6 million people and were the enemy in one of the largest wars the world has seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Samaris wrote: »
    You know, an awful lot of people, when asked by their grandchildren what it was like living in the early-century turmoil and what they did will most likely have to answer "I argued a lot on the internet about it", but there's gonna be a fair amount that may have to honestly say "I found it hilarious and trolled the people worried about it because I hated liberals far more than I hated white supremacists."

Actually not related to the last page or so, just a general observation.

tbh the grand kids are more likely to be living in in russia or canada and asking if you believed that climate change was a thing why the **** did you not do anything about it

In the last year it was elements of the left who created the path for the normalisation of political violence not Trump supporters .

The world didn't begin a year ago. Nazis killed over 6 million people and were the enemy in one of the largest wars the world has seen.
    It is very well documented the list of political violence against Trump supporters over the last year.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/16/this-list-of-attacks-against-conservatives-is-mind-blowing/
    Are you seriously trying to say all Trump supporters are " nazis " ?

It is very well documented the list of political violence against Trump supporters over the last year.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/16/this-list-of-attacks-against-conservatives-is-mind-blowing/
    Are you seriously trying to say all Trump supporters are " nazis " ?

How many Trump supporters have been killed?

No, I'm talking about the people with swastikas and killing people, it just happens that Trump supporters have no problems with joining up with Nazis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

People warned back when many were celebrating Richard Spencer getting punched that violence can go both ways. Sadly that is what transpired. We had reckless Hollywood celebs bellowing out at award ceremonies that punching a 'Nazi' was only the beginning. Let these people talk, argue against them, make better points. Antifa violence was always going to result in right wing violence. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Debate and talk, silencing people or attacking them for their views will never work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement