Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right-wing vs. Left-wing Clashes [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I don't believe it was his intent when he woke up in the morning. If he was planning on that sort of attack, he probably wouldn't use a nice car registered in his own name. Either use a banger or rent a van. I reckon he took a wrong turn, the mob clocked him as an evil white man, he panicked in fear for his life and pressed the accelerator instead of the break. It happens quite often.

Some people are willing to excuse anything, as long as it fits their side of the political spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

I don't believe it was his intent when he woke up in the morning. If he was planning on that sort of attack, he probably wouldn't use a nice car registered in his own name. Either use a banger or rent a van. I reckon he took a wrong turn, the mob clocked him as an evil white man, he panicked in fear for his life and pressed the accelerator instead of the break. It happens quite often.

Except that is not what happened at all according to those that were there. He sat in the car for a while before accelerating into the crowd at speed. Premeditated murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Arytonblue wrote: »
    This is some complete and utter bull****, an organised group of neo-Nazis and white supremacist tw@ts hold a rally in 'protest' of an agreed decision to remove a statue of a major figurehead of the Confederate movement that supported slavery and brutal treatment of blacks and you're shocked that some people decided to counter-protest? And then some bast@ard decided it would be great to mow some peaceful protesters with a car, and you decide this is the time to deflect and divert about Antifa, Obama and Hillary as somehow being responsible for this murderous c@nt killing people? Get real.

I'm so sick and tired of people with 'outrageous' and contrarian opinions pleading the 'right' to free speech and having an opinion when someone challenges them on their bull**** logic and reasoning. Just because you have an opinion doesn't make it sacrosanct, those protestors had every right to object to a bunch of racist, Hitler loving c@nts and there is no 'justification' for the attack on them.

Where did I mention Obama and Hillary? Only attribute to me what I actually said please.

Btw I condemn the guy ramming the car if it was deliberate and I think the identitarian movement should ruthlessly remove anyone with Nazi flags. It should have been a peaceful protest and gathering but anti-fa were going to ensure it was violent.

Don't know any jurisdiction where, to be charged with murder, you need to show it was thought out while the accused was brushing his teeth before breakfast. It certainly is not required when one speaks of malice aforethought and premeditation on this side if the water, and it's perfectly possible to have formed a murderous intent after it's too late to think of avoiding identification of the weapon.

That being said, your "complete accident, just pressed wrong pedal" theory may be spot on, although not obvious from footage apparently taken from within the crowd. We'll wait and see. They had no problem whatsoever finding reverse anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Don't know any jurisdiction where, to be charged with murder, you need to show it was thought out while the accused was brushing his teeth before breakfast. It certainly is not required when one speaks of malice aforethought and premeditation on this side if the water, and it's perfectly possible to have formed a murderous intent after it's too late to think of avoiding identification of the weapon.

That being said, your "complete accident, just pressed wrong pedal" theory may be spot on, although not obvious from footage apparently taken from within the crowd. We'll wait and see. They had no problem whatsoever finding reverse anyway.

There is footage that shows how far he travelled down to make impact with the crowd. The pushed the wrong pedal claim is rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I actually can't believe a human can somehow justisfy this murder. Ploughing into a group of people is ruthless aggression.

It is act of savage violence. He will receive the full whip of the law. He is no different to ISIS scum.

To be un-pc about it. The dimness on show yesterday. A cesspool of idiocy. A movement of hate. Un-educated morons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Violent left and right wing extremists it looks like. These people are all scum.

Enough of the one-liners please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If it happens so often that bemused white men are just peacefully sitting in their cars when the sight of oh-god-is-that-...people?!! causes him to turn on the engine, point the car from a closed off section of road towards said people and hit the accelerator as a panicked reaction for a good hundred meters or so to ram through them, and then reverse and speed off ("oh god, I only just escaped with my life!"), maybe white men shouldn't be driving.

That is basically what you're arguing for and it really is complete rubbish. There is a picture of him steering, his bonnet rammed up another car and looking pretty darn chilled about it. Tumtpy-tum, kill some people that don't agree with me.

Would you be so determined that it was all an accident set off by the scary marchers existing in the same (closed off) street if the driver had been Muslim?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is all on Obama and Hiliary. They kept encouraging black power groups to attack American heritage. The Confederate monument...do they think the civil war never happened, that thousands of young men didn't make the ultimate sacrifice for the South? It's disturbing how they're rewriting and airbrushing history. They refer to riots like Watts and Newark as rebellions, when it as mainly looting and wanton violence. God help America if they aren't put back in their place soon.

I read that they are renaming the park that the statue stood in from "Lee Park" to "Emancipation Park"

Now that is just throwing fuel on the fire.

In a devided society taking away a symbol from one group and giving it to the other group is a very risky move.

Oak Park would have been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Samaris wrote: »
    If it happens so often that bemused white men are just peacefully sitting in their cars when the sight of oh-god-is-that-...people?!! causes him to turn on the engine, point the car from a closed off section of road towards said people and hit the accelerator as a panicked reaction for a good hundred meters or so to ram through them, and then reverse and speed off ("oh god, I only just escaped with my life!"), maybe white men shouldn't be driving.

That is basically what you're arguing for and it really is complete rubbish. There is a picture of him steering, his bonnet rammed up another car and looking pretty darn chilled about it. Tumtpy-tum, kill some people that don't agree with me.

Would you be so determined that it was all an accident set off by the scary marchers existing in the same (closed off) street if the driver had been Muslim?

3/5 of people, according to Reichbart/Daily Stormer/rapists-masquerading-as-relationship-gurus sites. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There is zero basis in fact for this opinion. You want to believe it was their own fault they were run down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Horrible act of violence that Trump has rightfully condemned. It's a drop in the ocean compared to Islamic terrorism but could see a race war in the states eventually if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I read that they are renaming the park that the statue stood in from "Lee Park" to "Emancipation Park"

Now that is just throwing fuel on the fire.

In a devided society taking away a symbol from one group and giving it to the other group is a very risky move.

Oak Park would have been much better.

Surely only if you think that emancipation was a bad thing, no?

I mean, if they'd called it something like "White Privelige Park" or something that generally takes a swipe at white people, Chritianity, the Confederacy, Nationalism or whatever then you might have a point, but it's just renaming it to a unambiguously good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

The car was allegedly registered to the father of an anti-Trump guy who said the car was his on social media. It looks like he ran over the wrong crowd and was probably looking for the "far-right".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Brian? wrote: »
    Over the last yearr self appointed Antifa thugs have rioted in streets/attacked women & more-then people on the left react surprised when someone snaps, Lets ask the question if there wasn,t countless Antifa violence over the last year, would that driver of still snapped in Charlottesville ?

Blame the victim well done. A white supremacist drives a car into people protesting a white supremacist march andits their own fault? Ridiculous.
    But he didn't blame the victims, what he said is absolutely true. You have had communists causing mayhem in America attacking people, lots of evidence to support it.

AnGaelach wrote: »
    The car was allegedly registered to the father of an anti-Trump guy who said the car was his on social media. It looks like he ran over the wrong crowd and was probably looking for the "far-right".

Where are you getting this?.

Doesn't look like it would be to hard to pick out the nazi's, what with their kkk hoods and nazi salutes and militia attire.

Nice though.. Anything to deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gbear wrote: »

Open carry laws are ****ing insane as well. When there are armed neo-nazi militias parading down your streets maybe you need to realise you can no longer see the wood for the trees.
    It's one thing to defend yourself and your property. It's another to actively threaten society.

One thing I'll say for these nazi f**ktards is that so far they have better trigger discipline then the black lives matter protests.

Where are you getting this.

Doesn't look like it would be to hard to pick out the nazi's, what with their kkk hoods and nazi salutes and militia attire.

Nice though.. Anything to deflect.

The car was registered to a Jerome Vangheluwe whose son Joel has a picture up of the car with the caption "my car when I turn 16" and things like "if only trump was aborted". Seeing as how the police haven't released any details about the driver, presuming it is a "white nationalist" when there's more evidence to the contrary, is what I'd call deflecting.

Edit: Apparently Joel said he sold the car.

The car was registered to a Jerome Vangheluwe whose son Joel has a picture up of the car with the caption "my car when I turn 16" and things like "if only trump was aborted". Seeing as how the police haven't released any details about the driver, presuming it is a "white nationalist" when there's more evidence to the contrary, is what I'd call deflecting.

Edit: Apparently Joel said he sold the car.

Where are you getting this information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Have genuinely tried to process this post and come up with any sort of decent reply but I can't. I seriously think you need to take a look at yourself when you're justifying murder. Take a look at what happened today (NSFW obviously)

https://streamable.com/e1kwj

https://streamable.com/e2m13

https://streamable.com/5b5gj

I think it's important you see what happened, because you have just excused murder. There is no accidentally driving full force into a crowd of protestors and then full-throttle reversing and fleeing the scene. He took no "wrong turn", he drove down a straight street from a completely empty area into the crowd. We wouldn't offer the same excuse to a Muslim driving down a pedestrian street so it doesn't do to offer the same reprieve to someone just because they're white and it aligns with your political views.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Horrible act of violence that Trump has rightfully condemned. It's a drop in the ocean compared to Islamic terrorism but could see a race war in the states eventually if this continues.
    You are aware that white supremacists perform over twice the number of terrorist attacks in USA compared to Islamic attacks, right? Or that the white supremacists attacks are twice as likely to have a deadly outcome? And that they are less than 50% as likely to be stopped by the police before they happen?

figure1.png

But hey; why let facts stop your delusions about who performs terrorist attacks in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The car was registered to a Jerome Vangheluwe whose son Joel has a picture up of the car with the caption "my car when I turn 16" and things like "if only trump was aborted".

Seeing as how the police haven't released any details about the driver, presuming it is a "white nationalist" when there's more evidence to the contrary, is what I'd call deflecting.

This was actively dismissed. Never trust 4chan as a source of information.

The guy Joel has a similar model car, but that was all. The actual man is called James Alex Field Jnr:

http://fox4kc.com/2017/08/12/986372/

Where are you getting this information from?

There's infographs floating around Twitter on it, but he's purported to have sold the car so it's an exercise in futility at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

By what i have read it seems like the liberal idiots and the scum antifa started the violence yesterday.

Horrible incident and i expect not the last of its kind in america

If you have to jump through several hoops of speculation to reach the convenient answer, it is probably the wrong answer.

Samaris wrote: »
    If you have to jump through several hoops of speculation to reach the convenient answer, it is probably the wrong answer.

Did you not previously slam speculation on terrorism being Islamic in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's infographs floating around Twitter on it, but he's purported to have sold the car so it's an exercise in futility at this stage.

Ah yes, /pol/ the ultimate bastion of fact-finding and sure to be true 'facts'. Let's all remember that it was /pol/ that hunted down innocent people during the Boston Bombing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not only that but they already released the name of the guy and guess what; 4chan had it not only completely wrong but it turns out to be a white male trump supporter who happened to be white suprematist; what a surprise.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah yes, /pol/ the ultimate bastion of fact-finding and sure to be true 'facts'. Let's all remember that it was /pol/ that hunted down innocent people during the Boston Bombing.

I've no idea what you're even talking about, I'm not a 14 year old who skulks around on 4chan. You need to take a breather.

• Advertisement

Did you not previously slam speculation on terrorism being Islamic in Europe?

??

Probably? I've probably talked about goldfish too. What's that got to do with your rampant speculation that went contrary to all the known facts and required several leaps to avoid information gaps (and ultimately appears to have been wrong).

Plague of whataboutery around this whole business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement