Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's all about forcing people to use public transport even if the areas in which they live either have poor or no public transport facilities.

Typically Irish.
    we're talking about the very centre of dublin here. quite literally the very centre of the capital city, in the context of bus lane design being reorganised to reflect the fact that there's a tram line being built across one of the main pinch points.

what has people living in areas with poor public transport got to do with it? how many people living in these areas are the ones (of a grand total of 600 people per hour) being forced to drive into the city centre via the quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This.

It's all about forcing people to use public transport even if the areas in which they live either have poor or no public transport facilities.

Typically Irish.

People are just lazy, the majority have perfectly fine access but it means having to walk and sit in a peasant wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Must of been someone else

I was only speaking what I think when listening to hook, also he takes the bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Dusseldorf have their trams underground for a couple of stop when in the city centre, proper!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hate seeing stuff like this happen. Forcing people onto buses.

Carshare, cycle, scooter, jog, walk etc. Loads of options.

But the one that most people want is the one that is forced out. None of the above are options, only punishments.

Very entitled view of the world, you can't always get what you want.... Well in this case you can, you just have to sit in traffic choking of fumes for your privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

papu wrote: »
    People are just lazy, the majority have perfectly fine access but it means having to walk and sit in a peasant wagon.

Moderately sized European cities, like Dublin, have transport systems far beyond what we can even dream of.

Decades of underinvestment have led to what we've got now: A European city with a creaking infrastrusture where large parts of the suburbs and surrounding counties are left with poor transport links. A city with no rail link to its airport which nearly 30m use a year.

If the government are serious about people using public transport, then why have they cut subventions (and not restored them) by as much as 40% to Dublin Bus and others?

No instead, they privatised some routes. . . Probably signed another shoddy contract where they'll pay up on our behalf even if passenger numbers fall.

Put in place a proper transport system, fund it properly & subsidise people who use buses & bicycles and guess what?. . . People will leave their cars at home.

But No the reverse is done in IRL.

They might as well ban cars from the city centre from the phoenix park (apart from those that live in the city centre)

• Advertisement

I've windows. Surely the cyclists/walkers/joggers/cartwheelers/unicyclists/etc will be the one choking on the fumes.

I'll take it.

Good man, they'll see your sour face through the windows as they go by.

Cycled down the new double bus lane today, was a dream, they just need to make d'olier street a double bus lane now.

we're talking about the very centre of dublin here. quite literally the very centre of the capital city, in the context of bus lane design being reorganised to reflect the fact that there's a tram line being built across one of the main pinch points.

what has people living in areas with poor public transport got to do with it? how many people living in these areas are the ones (of a grand total of 600 people per hour) being forced to drive into the city centre via the quays?

The redesign of the road to accommodate two bus/cycle lanes may be quite small in area but the effect is such that it will escalate well back to the phoenix park and beyond during rush hour, which is always a mess anyway.

This will leave people with no option but to take public transport and/or cycle despite the fact that many will come from areas where there is a very poor and limited choice of public transport.

I really do not see the point of creating a single lane for traffic that everyone can use. That lane should really only be for people with cars who live in the city centre. Instead this is a half-arsed solution with no thought.

One last point: Public transport in Ireland is very expensive. The price of a Dublin Bus ticket from the suburbs into the city centre would far exceed the cost of petrol, tax, insurance etc. . for a similar car journey. Similar for trains.

I've windows. Surely the cyclists/walkers/joggers/cartwheelers/unicyclists/etc will be the one choking on the fumes.

I'll take it.

Fumes, dirty bus and car diesel fumes, that's why I stopped cycling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Hate seeing stuff like this happen. Forcing people onto buses.

Taking choices from supposedly free people is a dangerous path.

Nobody is forcing anyone. You can still drive. I myself drive to work the vast majority of the time due to shift work. No public transport during the night.

On occasion when I use the bus I use this route along the quays. It's gridlock most of the time and really sours the experience. I often get out and walk as it's too slow. An extra bus lane should speed up journey times which should encourage more to use the buses which in turn will hopefully lower the volume of vehicles.

Grand spin in on the bus the last few mornings.

Highly recommend it folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Isn't it amazing how people get so worked up over a line of white paint on the ground.

Phil.x wrote: »
    Fumes, dirty bus and car diesel fumes, that's why I stopped cycling to work.

Well

"Children are at risk of dangerous levels of air pollution in cars because exposure to toxic air is often far higher inside than outside vehicles, a former government chief scientific adviser has warned."

It applies to children it applies to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/12/children-risk-air-pollution-cars-former-uk-chief-scientist-warns

" A range of experiments, some as far back as 2001, have shown that drivers inside vehicles are exposed to far higher levels of air pollution than those walking or cycling along the same urban routes."

subsidise people who use buses & bicycles and guess what?. . . People will leave their cars at home.

Taxsaver bus and rail, and cycle to work tax scheme.

Your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Deedsie wrote: »
    You are a member of the public and it's shared space. Our elected officials decide whats best for the majority of the public.

So any space should shared right? That means ALL users.

Our elected officials don't care about the majority. Take two DDC council members that have never replied to god knows how many letters, emails etc send by many of the residents in my area about a local issue, yet have oodles of time to go on social media 24/7 promoting cycling.

Well

"Children are at risk of dangerous levels of air pollution in cars because exposure to toxic air is often far higher inside than outside vehicles, a former government chief scientific adviser has warned."

It applies to children it applies to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/12/children-risk-air-pollution-cars-former-uk-chief-scientist-warns

" A range of experiments, some as far back as 2001, have shown that drivers inside vehicles are exposed to far higher levels of air pollution than those walking or cycling along the same urban routes."

Don't think so buddy. Do proper research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Moderately sized European cities, like Dublin, have transport systems far beyond what we can even dream of.

Decades of underinvestment have led to what we've got now: A European city with a creaking infrastrusture where large parts of the suburbs and sourrounding counties are left with poor transport links. A city with no rail link to its airport which nearly 30m use a year.

If the government are serious bout people using public transport, then why have they cut subventions (and not restored them) by as much as 40% to Dublin Bus and others?

No instead, they privatised some routes. . . Probably signed another shoddy contract where they'll pay up on our behalf even if passenger numbers fall.

Put in place a proper transport system, fund it properly & subsidise people who use buses & bicycles and guess what?. . . People will leave their cars at home.

But No the reverse is done in IRL.

They might as well ban cars from the city centre from the phoenix park (apart from those that live in the city centre)

Not one Dublin Bus route is being privatised its fake news. I assume you're talking about the routes being tendered out which is not 40% but rather 10% all of which don't even go into the cc so that point its pretty irrelevant. Anyway the NTA is planning to grow bus routes in Dublin over the next couple of years. Bus Connects is on its way. Already the 30 additional buses are being added to the fleet.

I reckon that the way people like yourself go on about how awful Dublins public transport are exaggerating. While its by no means perfect it has improved in recent years with the introduction of Leap cards, RTPI, newer buses being introduced and on bus info as well as Luas extensions and the big one which is Luas CC. I struggle to think of any major area in Dublin that dosen't have access to some sort of semi decent public transport service to the cc whether that be a frequent bus, a QBC, a railway line, the Dart, a Luas line and some cases two or more of these.

As for the direct rail link to the airport. I reckon that due to geography a direct rail link may end up taking longer than the Airlink or Aircoach that is currently. A train or a metro would likely make multiple stop en route while the bus gies through the Port Tunnel.

Cycling and using public transport is already subsidized through The Cycle to Work and The Taxsaver schemes.

I reccomend for future reference doing a little bit of research before making such generalisation posts.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    So any space should shared right? That means ALL users.

Our elected officials don't care about the majority. Take two DDC council members that have never replied to god knows how many letters, emails etc send by many of the residents in my area about a local issue, yet have oodles of time to go on social media 24/7 promoting cycling.

Most of the elected "officials" are parish pump dumb politicians who know as much about traffic calming as quantum mechanics.

As ever this is all drawn up by the unelected city managers.

This is why Dublin needs a directly elected mayor so that someone is held directly responsible.

Again I'm all in favour of bus/cycle lanes but don't ask me to support slabs of paint on the ground with no proper public transport investment.

These lanes are designed for one reason only. . . If they don't want to use bicycles all the way from Wicklow . . .f**k em . . . We'll make their lives so uncomfortable to use a car that they'll have to use our crammed and underfunded public transport system.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Not one Dublin Bus route is being privatised its fake news. I assume you're talking about the routes being tendered out which is not 40% but rather 10% all of which don't even go into the cc so that point its pretty irrelevant. Anyway the NTA is planning to grow bus routes in Dublin over the next couple of years. Bus Connects is on its way. Already the 30 additional buses are being added to the fleet.

I reckon that the way people like yourself go on about how awful Dublins public transport are exaggerating. While its by no means perfect it has improved in recent years with the introduction of Leap cards, RTPI, newer buses being introduced and on bus info as well as Luas extensions and the big one which is Luas CC. I struggle to think of any major area in Dublin that dosen't have access to some sort of semi decent public transport service to the cc whether that be a frequent bus, a QBC, a railway line, the Dart, a Luas line and some cases two or more of these.

As for the direct rail link to the airport. I reckon that due to geography a direct rail link may end up taking longer than the Airlink or Aircoach that is currently. A train or a metro would likely make multiple stop en route while the bus gies through the Port Tunnel.

Cycling and using public transport is already subsidized through The Cycle to Work and The Taxsaver schemes.

I reccomend for future reference doing a little bit of research before making such generalisation posts.

I recommend a little research in the difference of subventions and tendering out.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004896971400713X

Can send you the article if you want to broaden you mind mate, I get access, I'm a researcher with peer reviewed publications.. what's your scientific background?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004896971400713X

Can send you the article if you want to broaden you mind mate, I get access, I'm a researcher with peer reviewed publications.. what's your scientific background?
    And can you please link to the scientific research you're basing your own opinion on, Phil? ;)

Stephen15 wrote: »

Go to a place like Frankfurt - a city of 700,000 with a surburban area of around 4m. A place destroyed in the second world war.

Then cmpare its transport infrastructure to Dublin.

No comparison.

Go to a place like Frankfurt - a city of 700,000 with a surburban area of around 4m. A place destroyed in the second world war.

Then cmpare its transport infrastructure to Dublin.

No comparison.

You literally said this

• Advertisement

Very weak generalisation and not worth the kilobits it's written in.
    You have no idea what you're talking about, this is from the methods section, it is extremely comprehensive. Maybe go to bed and stop embarrassing yourself

Screenshot_20170826_012709.png

Advertisement