Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

cathy427 wrote: »
    Thanks, ya on the laptop I signed up for the free trial and it says IP recognised and I changed the region setting for amazon prime to UK.

I asked a lot of questions and got answers on a thread over on bargain alerts so to be fair I better not duplicate it here.

Have you a link to that thread mate, trying to set it up myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Any chance a moderator can put a sticky thread on how to break copyright restrictions for Prime, Disney and Netflix and DNS and VPNs and all that crap. It just gets boring coming into this threads for recommendations on what to watch or find out what news only to read pages of the same crap about bypassing regional restrictions!

You understand the term "general discussion"? Just a random idea but maybe try the recommendation thread for, well, recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I really feel like Amazon is unfairly getting a bit of a bad rap here over the past few pages.

I get that some are annoyed at losing access to the UK version of Prime Video, but even the Irish version of Prime Video has an insanely large library of movies (over 10,000) and tv shows (over 1,200) now. I honestly feel like Prime Video gets far more (and better) movies added to its roster each month than Netflix has been lately.
    Granted, the Prime Video interface is a mess (shows split into seasons and 4k titles shown separately to HD titles is nonsense), but thats the only downside I can see.

I pay for a full Prime sub (about €9 a month) and thats nearly half the price of my current Netflix sub (top tier to get 4k).
    So apart from just the video you also get:
    • Free shipping from the UK (I'm sure shipping times will return to normal once Brexit madness has settled). Also with no VAT on items under €22 till mid-year, you are saving 21% on smaller items!
    • Amazon Music (2 million songs for free to stream).
    • Prime Reading (thousands of books and comics to read on Kindle).

How is that not fantastic value?

My amazon prime account has very little on now, every single movie i have tried to watch has come up not available.
    I have set location to Irish republic but it doesn't seem to help. Am i missing something.

I'm pretty clueless about VPN or DNS stuff.
    Is there something I'm missing with the conventional route to amazon prime. As it stands it is definitely not worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

joe40, logging into primevideo.com, changing location to Ireland and rebooting the FireTV stick as suggested earlier in the thread seems to have worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Sleepy wrote: »
    joe40, logging into primevideo.com, changing location to Ireland and rebooting the FireTV stick as suggested earlier in the thread seems to have worked for us.

Thanks for that. I don't have a firestick just an account from amazon. Maybe that makes a difference.

Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Shouldn't make a difference, change it in Primevideo.com and log out and back in again of whatever method you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

joe40 wrote: »
    My amazon prime account has very little on now, every single movie i have tried to watch has come up not available.
    I have set location to Irish republic but it doesn't seem to help. Am i missing something.

I'm pretty clueless about VPN or DNS stuff.
    Is there something I'm missing with the conventional route to amazon prime. As it stands it is definitely not worth it for me.

Could I ask what device you are watching it on?
    If you were previously down as UK, maybe you could speak to an Amazon customer service agent? I've found them very helpful in the past. You can actually get them to ring you rather than just chat over their text service. They called me so fast it was scary!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

joe40 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I don't have a firestick just an account from amazon. Maybe that makes a difference.

Thanks anyway.
    Are you trying to watch from amazon.co.uk? Don't!

Always use primevideo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All seasons of The Shield added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

All seasons of The Shield added.

Fantastic, been gagging for a rewatch of this for ages .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Shield.... great show,, looking forward to getting stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cathy427

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Have you a link to that thread mate, trying to set it up myself!

Still trying myself!!! Still havent got it to work

This is the thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115816883&posted=1#post115816883

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The Shield.... great show,, looking forward to getting stuck into it.

I loved The Shield when it was first on TV3 years back, but I tried watching it recently on the Channel 4 app and the one thing that stood out for me was the lack of bad language in such a gritty show. I think the worst thing that anybody ever said was "p*ssed off". In these more profane times, it did make it seem a little tame for me and I gave up watching it. They should re-dub it and insert some cussing because it was a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I dont understand why even Prime original content like Little Fires Everywhere is now restricted. Surely they dont have copyrights on their own content?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I dont understand why even Prime original content like Little Fires Everywhere is now restricted. Surely they dont have copyrights on their own content?

It's actually not a Prime original it is made by Hulu/Disney, Amazon just brought the rights to show it here before they all decided to have there own worldwide streaming channels.

It's actually not a Prime original it is made by Hulu/Disney, Amazon just brought the rights to show it here before they all decided to have there own worldwide streaming channels.

Thanks!

Prime was worth the few quid a month with the account set to UK. Wont be paying for the Irish content - absolutely woeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Little Fires Everywhere is actually a Hulu original,hence why it's titled an Amazon exclusive and not Amazon original.

Nevertheless It's still on Irish Prime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Little Fires Everywhere' is available for me (Irish account).

ixoy wrote: »
    'Little Fires Everywhere' is available for me (Irish account).

I assumed they found a way around my account being set to UK. Maybe its the opposite - my account is still UK, but the series is Ireland only. Will give it a go

While it may disappear at some point to go to Star within the Disney+ app, it is still currently available through Prime, and its in HDR as well!
    Thanks!

Prime was worth the few quid a month with the account set to UK. Wont be paying for the Irish content - absolutely woeful!

Apart from obvious stuff like sport, is the Irish version really lacking in comparison to the UK one? What are we missing out on from the UK one really?
    I find theres more stuff than I can possibly keep up with watching on the Irish one as it is. I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere and just started back into the latest season of Vikings and will then get cracking on The Expanse.

• Advertisement

I loved The Shield when it was first on TV3 years back, but I tried watching it recently on the Channel 4 app and the one thing that stood out for me was the lack of bad language in such a gritty show. I think the worst thing that anybody ever said was "p*ssed off". In these more profane times, it did make it seem a little tame for me and I gave up watching it. They should re-dub it and insert some cussing because it was a great show.

I actually didn't find the lack of swear words too bothersome when watching the Shield. It was when watching Sons of Anarchy that I used to find it a bit too noticeable (both on the FX network). But in saying that, its still preferable to watching a show and having the bad language dubbed or bleeped out (like in Southland and Animal Kingdom). That used to take me out of the moment every single time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

While it may disappear at some point to go to Star within the Disney+ app, it is still currently available through Prime, and its in HDR as well!

Apart from obvious stuff like sport, is the Irish version really lacking in comparison to the UK one? What are we missing out on from the UK one really?
    I find theres more stuff than I can possibly keep up with watching on the Irish one as it is. I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere and just started back into the latest season of Vikings and will then get cracking on The Expanse.

Nope very little in the difference IMHO, some people just like to be outraged

Havent compared in a while but when I got Prime first, I added around 15 movies to my watchlist and as I went through them, every single one was unavailable. Could be wrong but I think Mr Robot was an example of a series, and possibly Preacher too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

I assumed they found a way around my account being set to UK. Maybe its the opposite - my account is still UK, but the series is Ireland only. Will give it a go

Available for me on UK account.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Apart from obvious stuff like sport, is the Irish version really lacking in comparison to the UK one? What are we missing out on from the UK one really? I find theres more stuff than I can possibly keep up with watching on the Irish one as it is. I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere and just started back into the latest season of Vikings and will then get cracking on The Expanse.

I think a lot of posters that are very disappointed with the Irish content are actually still on uk content without realising it. That means that they are only getting the reduced amazon original roaming stuff as they need to be in the UK to have full content.

Nope very little in the difference IMHO, some people just like to be outraged

Who said anything about outrage? Just an observation!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think a lot of posters that are very disappointed with the Irish content are actually still on uk content without realising it. That means that they are only getting the reduced amazon original roaming stuff as they need to be in the UK to have full content.
    This in a nutshell.

Low Winter Sun is another I see as restricted. Can people access in UK or Ireland accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Completely agree. While there is definitely less content on the Irish version, who needs 20000 movies anyway? Just added about 30 movies to my watchlist on the firestick app and a benefit now is all the content you see, yo can watch on prime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Low Winter Sun is another I see as restricted. Can people access in UK or Ireland accounts?

UK prime have 2 listing for this for some strange reason. For one it says not available. The other listing plays no problem. I don't know about Irish prime

Advertisement