Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Looks like the most boring Christmas weather in years is on the cards (no pun intended) this year.

What pun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well on Wednesday you said it would be very mild, which it won't as it'll be turning cold fairly quickly on Christmas day.

Do you read the forecasts or just complain regardless?

Ah I’m with frax on this one
    A wet Xmas day followed by mucky coolness isn’t inspiring me either
    That said it’s too warm so Wednesday’s cool down or any will be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Looks like the most boring Christmas weather in years is on the cards (no pun intended) this year.

as in : "...... boring weather on the Christmas cards..." ??

hehehe

presumably, or I'm not the comedian I think I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'm staying optimistic, as long as cold air about I'm hopeful of a few flakes for the big day. That will do Everyone wrote off 2009s chance of white Christmas, the mild air was meant to settle in but it never came to Donegal and we got a good blanket of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As a numpty regarding scientific weather, could someone tell me where all this very mild weather is coming from.

I am sweating lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

"Too warm"
    "Out in a t-shirt"
    "I'm sweating"...

Anyone would think it's hitting the high 20s here. It's the low teens, surely we can put up with that! :D

I'm just glad we have had little rainfall, unlike several other years, when people were dealing with flooded houses in the run-up to Christmas. Weather like this is to be welcomed imo. Yes, boring, but good for Christmas preparations and keeping the heating bill down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

As a numpty regarding scientific weather, could someone tell me where all this very mild weather is coming from.

I am sweating lol.

With a name like that, you've got to be kidding , Right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Keep an eye on Wednesday night (27th/28th). Increasing prospect of frontal snow for Ulster, North Connaught and North Leinster. Currently it looks temporary but this could change to something more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Christmas day starts off mild.
    vhw0sj.png

Turns cold in the evening with wintery showers....:D
    21jap8x.png

Remains cold into Stephans Day.
    15x4803.png

Possible slider event with snow on front or back edge....who knows...
    16gbax5.png

Wednesday Snow risk.
    2ajanev.png

Yesterday evening with a temp of 6c outside,the heating was most certainly on all evening,no saving there
    Working outside all day as usual,no need to heat the house,it was hard to know what to have on in 12c and sun but as we got to the third calf house mucked out,it was t shirts only for sure almost in an ode to the summer
    Suns out again in Arklow today but a more seasonable 7.7c

Not looking forward to the rather wet Xmas day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looks like plenty of boring weather coming over the Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like plenty of boring weather coming over the Christmas!

Storms, borderline snow, cold.

Can I ask, if this isn't interesting weather, what is?

I’d have though all those would be normal winter in Clare :D

I’d have though all those would be normal winter in Clare :D

Who said we don't have interesting winter ;)

Seriously though, especially compared to this week it'll be interesting, I'm certainly interested at least.

While the mild conditions and fog are nice in ways, when one starts thinking about sunny conditions in Spain or a rare Irish summer, you know the weather's unseasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well some were calling it boring a few days ago😂

Well some were calling it boring a few days ago😂

I'm not sure the weather from a few days ago is that relevant now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'll take this! Certainly looks very interesting for the BMW on Stephen's night.

96-779UK.GIF?23-6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Absolute cracker of a day at Grange! Hard to believe Christmas is 2 days away and I'm having this weather.

vHhqavf.jpg

Sun has actually came out in West Clare in the past 10 minutes, sky's gone fairly clear and temperature has rocketed up to 11.7c.

Interesting pre Christmas weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very cloudy and mild again here, sun threatened to break through the cloud earlier but beat a hasty retreat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Certainly a lot to keep an eye on over the coming week with some heavy rainfall ( including wintry precipitation ) at times and looking at the precipitation accumulation charts ( rough guide )it looks like many places getting over 70-80mm in the week to come with amounts possibly over 100mm for parts of the W showing up.

210-777UK_eug9.GIF

Much cooler conditions coming .

75-778UK_ael2.GIF

114-778UK_ugy1.GIF

Maybe some chance of wintry precipitation as Monday goes on but first real chance of snow ( possibly the wet kind maybe but not sticking much) being Tues .

tempresult_wnc7.gif

tempresult_szk1.gif

tempresult_hzv0.gif

Should have a few white mountain caps at least after the week and possibility of thunderstorms at times as well .

The ECM showing some gales/stormy conditions at the end of next week at this stage but lots of chopping and changing going on with track and timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Absolute cracker of a day at Grange! Hard to believe Christmas is 2 days away and I'm having this weather.

vHhqavf.jpg

Can't believe this is the same country I am living in!

Some sunshine totals over the last 7 days: (hours)

Gurteen: 9.2
    Dublin Apt: 8.5
    Shannon: 6.5
    Casement: 5.5
    Cork Apt: 1.7
    Malin Hd: 1.3
    Valential: 1.0
    Knock: 0.8
    Belmullet: 0.5

Data from Met Éireann Ag reports:http://www.met.ie/latest/agricultural.asp

There has been no sunshine here, not even a fleeting 2 second glimpse, that I can recall over the same time period.

New Moon

After a week of cloud, The sun has finally broken through, lovely afternoon now

Suns gone now here in West Clare, was nice earlier.

After a week of cloud, The sun has finally broken through, lovely afternoon now

33mins and the sun is gone again

From Met Éireann, issued yesterday.
    Rain

Rainfall for the past week has been below normal countrywide and ranged from 20% of average in the east to between 60 and 70 % in parts of the west. Some rain and drizzle will occur over the next few days, but rainfall amounts are expected to be well below normal over the bulk of the country, but closer to average in parts of the northwest. It will turn much more disturbed from Christmas day with more significant spells of rain at times with heavy falls. Overall for the week ahead, rainfall will be well above average in western and northern parts of Connacht and Ulster and a bit below normal elsewhere, due to the relatively dry conditions over the next few days.

Temperatures

The past week has seen quite a variation in temperatures across the country as a whole but overall mean air temperatures were generally above normal ranging from 1 degree above in eastern areas to nearly two degrees above in parts of the west. The current very mild conditions are expected to continue up to Christmas day, but will be followed by a colder regime from late Christmas day to Wednesday, then fluctuating between mild wet spells and colder showery conditions over the following days.

Sunshine

Sunshine amounts for the past week were lower than average through western, northern and southern counties but they were average or a bit above through much of the midlands and east. The coming week will see mostly dull or cloudy conditions resulting in below average sunshine amounts.

Drying Conditions

Mostly poor drying conditions.

Spraying

Spraying will be limited due to damp and misty conditions over the next few days and then due to wind and rain from Christmas day.

Field Conditions

Most soils are at field capacity or saturated at the moment with little improvement expected in the coming week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »

vHhqavf.jpg

was this only in Grange? I was in Dublin city centre all day and certainly saw nothing like this! There was bits of sun but certainly not blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    was this only in Grange? I was in Dublin city centre all day and certainly saw nothing like this! There was bits of sun but certainly not blue skies.

Seems that way :), I was expecting another boring overcast day like the past few but I guess not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day in Tralee too, sunshine all day geting up to 14C and currently 11.4C.

Seems the sunshine was hit and miss around the country today.

lI66ep7.jpg?1

Advertisement