Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've been told it was just cloudy all day here in Dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Great day in Tralee too, sunshine all day geting up to 14C and currently 11.4C.

Seems the sunshine was hit and miss around the country today.

lI66ep7.jpg?1

Hit
    Here in Arklow
    Gorgeous day again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Maybe some interest here for the northern half of the country and for those who have already seen snow this winter?
    Not such a bad chart after what we have suffered for the past week.
    WARNING for those who may not have seen this evening's ECM, only look up to +144 and don't bother with the rest, it could possibly damage your health!

fax72s.gif?2

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

The start of Christmas day.

250k0gy.png

Colder weather starts to arrive in the west.

ohijk8.png

Cold Christmas day night.

mb2tcg.png

:)

Cant rule out snow showers on north and west facing coasts on the 27th.

11tphro.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wednesday night looking very cold, hopefully it'll bring the first proper frost to West Clare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looks like rain Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

One of these low pressures will bring a snow storm to Ireland before this winter is out. They are just lining themselves up to pound Ireland at sometime over the next 60 days. The cold out breaks are reaching further south into the Atlantic all the time. The Thermal gradient to also very high. I think we are also going to sea some spectacular storms at some stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭giveitholly

One of these low pressures will bring a snow storm to Ireland before this winter is out. They are just lining themselves up to pound Ireland at sometime over the next 60 days. The cold out breaks are reaching further south into the Atlantic all the time. The Thermal gradient to also very high. I think we are also going to sea some spectacular storms at some stage too.

I'lI hold you to that George!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

sryanbruen wrote: »

Lovely... that’s us f&#cked so

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lovely... that’s us f&#cked so

Although looking at it, it looks a bit too dramatic especially considering the fact that we're in an easterly QBO phase and it's a NASA model which I wouldn't put much faith in personally.

We'll see how she goes and revise then.

NASA say this anyway about their models:
    Please note that these predictions are experimental and are produced for research purposes only. Use of these forecasts for purposes other than research is not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

White Christmas for parts of Scotland so they'll have to pay out across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are going to have a massive total in athenry if this keeps up

km79 wrote: »
    We are going to have a massive total in athenry if this keeps up

31.9mm at Athenry yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here since yesterday evening, lots of surface water around.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Happy Christmas to everyone on Boards! :)

Fairly nondescript day here atm, raining for a few hours now. Hoping to see some snow tomorrow evening as that front passes over us but it’s looking extremely marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Temp has dropped this morning was 11 at 9am now showing 6.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM has brought that deep LP close to Ireland again late Fri/ Sat. Closer than the GFS has it. The UKMO looks totally at odds with the other two showing a broad shallow area of LP .

ECU1-120_koi7.GIF

ECU4-120_foy6.GIF

OuVykW1.png

tempresult_frj0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Temp has dropped this morning was 11 at 9am now showing 6.

Dropped to 4c in the heavy rain now near Arklow
    Surely turning to snow above 500 meters at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just 2c here in Donegal. Nice for Christmas morning. Merry Christmas to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a lovely hail shower here in West Clare, was nice to see white of some form.

Merry Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just 3.8 degC with rain bucketing down. Lovely cold cold rain. Happy Christmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cold cold rain turning a bit sleety here

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Cold cold rain turning a bit sleety here

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Delighted to have a cold day here in cork ...I was not looking forward to warm muck....good seasonal stove weather ...happy Christmas boards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Snow on the hills here in Donegal. Had a heavy hail shower a while ago that turned the place white here but a horrible day now with cold sleety rain

Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snow on hills here too, 1c very seasonal

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

Snow above 500mt in wicklow.

Whilst the weather has been very poor today at Grange, I've had a very good Christmas and ten times better than last year. I'd like to say thank you to particular posters such as nagdefy, Oneiric 3, Gonzo and MT Cranium for the great chats I've had with (not to mention, MT's super work) over the year along with everybody else who posted brilliant weather pictures. Hope 2018 will be as good as this year was and merry Christmas to everybody on the weather forum!

I'll leave you with this picture from Christmas Day 2010, my favourite Christmas:

wvMEs75.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE 12Z showing very windy/ stormy conditions early Sat morning. ECM more offshore, GFS well off shore. Lots of chopping and changing going on.

tempresult_xtg9.gif

Advertisement