Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Twas drizzly and foggy until around 4pm here in West Clare, 10c all day until 4pm.

Dropped to 8c now, fog forming again.

Just an update on that, fog has thickened immensely, probably one of the densest fogs over the past few months (doesn't have much to contend with).

I enjoy foggy weather, especially around this time of year. Has a nice wintry feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just an update on that, fog has thickened immensely, probably one of the densest fogs over the past few months (doesn't have much to contend with).

I enjoy foggy weather, especially around this time of year. Has a nice wintry feel to it.

Meanwhile, either side of you, visibilities at Shannon Airport and Mace Head are 20 km and 8 km, respectively. Belmullet and Finner 7 km.

Meanwhile, either side of you, visibilities at Shannon Airport and Mace Head are 20 km and 8 km, respectively. Belmullet and Finner 7 km.

Fog is also interesting in how and where it forms.

It started quite shallow, I am a little elevated here and you could see as far as Kerry but not as far as the lower areas 500m away.

Its not as thick as it was,, but currently no visibility in any direction much further than 300m.

Shannon also reporting shallow fog at 20:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

W25cWB.jpg

This article reads incredibly suspicious to me. Many areas covered in snow? I would seriously doubt it. I think I will go with the official meteorological report on this one, as it isn't prone to journalistic exaggeration complete with the reductive assumptions of the writer.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS ORANGE

Fog Warning for Ireland
    Dense fog may linger in some parts of the country through much of Monday giving rise to poor visibility and hazardous driving conditions.

Issued:Sunday 17 December 2017 19:00
    Valid:Monday 18 December 2017 00:01 to Monday 18 December 2017 23:59

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This article reads incredibly suspicious to me. Many areas covered in snow? I would seriously doubt it. I think I will go with the official meteorological report on this one, as it isn't prone to journalistic exaggeration complete with the reductive assumptions of the writer.

If this was he 1975 snow in June incident then yes there was snow. A cricket match was called off.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/snow-scenes-june-1975---9375720

That was in Buxton which is the highest market town in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If this was he 1975 snow in June incident then yes there was snow. A cricket match was called off.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/snow-scenes-june-1975---9375720

I said that a bit back, plus Oneiric 3 is referring to the Irish examiner saying several areas in Ireland had been covered in snow when there's no mention of snow in Ireland on the June 1975 agrometeorological bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Where were you just able to put your hand on that chart? Did you already have it or is there some source?

Extracted that chart from here, comrade:

https://digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.uk/

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Many or several mightn’t be a majority and mightn’t mean at met recording stations
    It could mean snow for enough such that it made news in a newspaper though
    There is no comparison between after the fact articles and say the likes of Nathan Rao’s predictive nonsense articles in the express
    I remember as I said, snow cover at the start of June sometime in the mid 70’s from an event approximating to the article in the Examiner
    I actually remember trying and failing to run in cattle from fields quickly going white
    The only thing is I couldn’t put an exact date or year on it except it being unusually June
    ‘Official meteorological reports’ notwithstanding It did happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

"almost snowed under in several parts of the country..."

Language like that would tend to paint a very snowy picture across the country (this country), so you would expect to see at least one station report something more than the rain showers that were reported. Then also no mention in the agri report. Weather like that in prime growing season would surely warrant a recording.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843699-communities-snowed-in/

Great video there of the after affects of the January 82 blizzard with the aer corps flying in supplies to cut off villages in north Wicklow
    They also show Turloch
    About half way in you see Dr Gerry Liddy a GP in Coolgreaney on the Wicklow Wexford border being flown in to see some of his patients
    Dr Liddy died a few months ago R.I.P
    His next door neighbour flew with him to direct the pilots to some of the isolated farm houses around Croghan mtn in South Wicklow which you can see in the 2nd half of the video
    The drifts in that area reached the tree tops

I know the Arklow coolgreaney road was cleared by local farmers but the connecting roads onto it were blocked for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice footage of the good old Alouette III in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I was thrilled to be a 6 year-old kid right slap bang in the middle of all that snow ! Our house was on the hillside in Lacken overlooking the lakes. I'll never forget it, snowed in for days !!!

Still snow on the top of Croghan west of Arklow today
    Little wonder when there were drifts a few feet deep a week ago
    Lugnaquilla is still plastered

Currently 2.7c here near Arklow and sunny
    Frost still on the ground
    No fog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

It’s looking like a prolonged boring spell of weather for this coming week and the Christmas which I guess is good for those who are travelling. I won’t say good for the shoppers because I despise the commercialization of Christmas. Some signs of a mobile Atlantic regime becoming established towards the end of December and if it does then it’s going to be hard to shift it. Unless there is a drastic change in January, I’m writing the chances of cold and snow for winter 2017 / 2018 off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Long term forecast thanks to @WeatherCast_UK

DRVC6a3XcAEXp_d.png:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    It’s looking like a prolonged boring spell of weather for this coming week and the Christmas which I guess is good for those who are travelling. I won’t say good for the shoppers because I despise the commercialization of Christmas. Some signs of a mobile Atlantic regime becoming established towards the end of December and if it does then it’s going to be hard to shift it. Unless there is a drastic change in January, I’m writing the chances of cold and snow for winter 2017 / 2018 off.

Could you pack anymore negativity into a post Herr Scrooge err sorry I mean Herr Fraxinus?

I’m writing the chances of cold and snow for winter 2017 / 2018 off It is good that no one pays any attention to people who write a season off on the 18th day of the first month of three of a season. Especially when it is based on nothing but pure negativity.

You must be a WUM/troll, no one could be so miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

fraxinus1 wrote: »

Which signs are these? Most of the models are hinting at a colder regime, so I'm curious as to what you're looking at, if you're not just bluffing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : DeBild recieved a warning for being uncivil.

Other Post deleted for being off topic.

Stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking forward to the next week of calm weather before Christmas. Today was a fantastic day here, mild after the frost cleared and some hazy sunshine and blue/yellowish skies all day. I'm not a fan of transport disruption the week leading up to Christmas.

Difficult to know what will happen after Christmas Day, really not liking the sound of possible stormy conditions tho. Snowstorms and Thunderstorms are the only storms that I like! The wind and rain storms can stay well out to sea in the Atlantic all winter and I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

It's been foggy all day in Cork and chilly. Was kind of relaxing while I was doing my exams to look at the fog.. ;) Better then Rain to look at anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

There might be some snow in January, didn't someone on here give a high chance of cold conditions and snow/sleet for January?

Signs of a little SW is still there for the end of December, this chart is next Tuesday for example from the GFS 12z today. Far from a SSW though.

Rwpltq0.png

There might be some snow in January, didn't someone on here give a high chance of cold conditions and snow/sleet for January?

I said the potential for a very snowy January if everything was just right, it's still there. MT said the same - though lesser to a degree than what I said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After the fog and mist day yesterday it turned out a beautiful day in Kerry getting up to 13.5C here near Tralee.

Pic Banna Beach mid morning.

zUKKkqs.jpg?1

Only got to 9.6c here in West Clare, quite a difference to your max Meteorite!

Only got to 9.6c here in West Clare, quite a difference to your max Meteorite!

Yea, seems a bit high but I would have good confidence in the accuracy . I see Kerry airport got up to 12C ( rounded ) and Shannon 8.9C and Valentia 11.6C. Must have been the unbroken sunshine and calm airs here.

Yea, seems a bit high but I would have good confidence in the accuracy . I see Kerry airport got up to 12C ( rounded ) and Shannon 8.9C and Valentia 11.6C. Must have been the unbroken sunshine and calm airs here.

Wouldn't doubt it. Cloud caved in here quite early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Despite the fair conditions it remained cool here all day with a daylight max of 6.1c. However, cloud seems to have increased and it's 7.5c in a moderate SSE breeze.

Advertisement