Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You aren't very popular around here :eek: but I think you are being realistic and I would tend to agree with you.
    The Atlantic will effortlessly blast away any potential Arctic blocking as a result of the extreme cold pouring off North America. I wouldn't say winter is over but surely us weather watchers in this forum know by now that when this rot sets in it can go on for weeks on end. Any cold spells will be transient.

ECM1-144.GIF?21-12

I have already described why my posts are so like a million times up to now including my very long Winter forecast. I am not being optimistic, in fact usually I'm extremely pessimistic. I was not looking at this Winter being good at all 'til around October or November when I started seeing what the "drivers" could mean for us. The drivers have still not changed, it's just models being their usual selves. As for the extreme cold in North America, it's more towards the central US than the eastern seaboard and isn't expected to last for very long either.

As for this week, I am not minding it. Sure it's very boring but I prefer it over cold and dull. My least favourite kinds of weather are cold and dull as well as cold and wet where the rain is light to moderate or just drizzle.

There is an awful lot of uncertainty regarding Christmas, that I'm focusing on just tomorrow for now because there are so many likely scenarios. For example, just look at the GEFS for the AO, there's a perfect division between the ensembles on predicting a negative and positive AO for the rest of December into the New Year - one of the ensembles going for a negative AO is the OP run of the GFS which shows quite a block developing over the Arctic whilst this stormy weather is going on.

aEkjNEb.gif

The GFS is still showing this small SW for the end of December and early January though again far from a SSW.

nFOqqMi.png

The SOI is reflecting El Nino right now which is strange because the Pacific is firmly in a La Nina setup. If the La Nina continues, we could be heading for a very blocked Spring - if you were to look at Springs that followed Weak La Nina to Weak La Nina Winters historically.

Zonal winds in the tropics are continuing to be weak.

In fact, the only catch I can see right now is the NAO which according to the GEFS is going to be positive for the next 2 weeks.

P.S. that chart from the ECM you posted is far far from the worst case scenario if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As I said I'm happy to see some interesting weather, I just don't get why 12C and uneventful is so depressing while 5C and uneventful, i.e most of the month so far, is so much better.

There's a difference between 12c at 6am and 5c at 12pm. Which is the glaring difference between this week and the rest of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's ludicrously mild. :)

I should go out and fix the blower on the car (and then mow the grass ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Aye suns shining here near Arklow
    I’m actually in a t shirt outside working

Aye suns shining here near Arklow
    I’m actually in a t shirt outside working

As soon as you say that, it has turned sunny here at Grange too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I don't get the obsession with cold on here at times, the past two weeks were fairly cold by Irish standards, the clear frosty mornings were nice but scraping the windscreen every morning is a pain and we had some right miserable days with heavy rain and biting wind. This week has been largely pleasant, perfect weather for those of us with long journeys to make and great for getting out shopping, nights out, Christmas markets etc. The last thing we need is a repeat of 2010 with half the country missing Christmas with their families

I'm all for a bit of exciting weather but if there's one week all year I'd like bland benign weather its this week

We do not want any type of extreme weather especially at Christmas. Christmas was ruined or curtailed by weather on a few occasions.

Year: 1997.
    Weather event: Hurricane on Christmas Eve.
    Damage: powercuts lasting a week.

Year: 1998.
    Weather event: Hurricane on St Stephen's Day.
    Damage: powercuts lasting between 48 hours and 5 days.

Year: 2010.
    Weather event: prolonged snow, ice, frost and cold from 27th November to St Stephen's day.
    Damage: people could not shop, go to events, get home.

Year: 2013.
    Weather event: storms, flooding for 2 months from December to February.
    Damage: powercuts in some places, flooding, miserable conditions. The worst of this period of weather was a hurricane but that came on February 12.

Year: 2015.
    Weather event: Prolonged period of stormy, wet and windy weather lasting from October to January.
    Damage: Extensive flooding, some powercuts, overall misery.

None of these years was a particularly enjoyable one from a weather perspective. 1997 was absolutely ruined for many and 2010 gave us our white Christmas but was there for too long before Christmas. If the snow had come Christmas Eve and lasted for a few days, it would have been lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I know its the Star but there must be something brewing given they quote the UK Met Office.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/668612/uk-weather-bbc-forecast-christmas-storms-storm-dylan-eleanor-britain-met-office

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

It will be a cool Christmas day. Maybe a frost. After that I don't have a clue anymore. :)

5dw66f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

hurricane

What? Are you confusing a strong gale with a hurricane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

As I said I'm happy to see some interesting weather, I just don't get why 12C and uneventful is so depressing while 5C and uneventful, i.e most of the month so far, is so much better.

Probably because 12C feels more like Spring than Christmas (which lets be honest is associated with snow etc. 5C feels more festive. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well 5 c or below has led to snow in some places and some crisp, clear weather, most people here tend to prefer that to mild and cloudy days with mist.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What? Are you confusing a strong gale with a hurricane?

Christmas Eve 1997, Darwin and Ophelia were a BIT MORE than a strong gale!!

Christmas Eve 1997, Darwin and Ophelia were a BIT MORE than a strong gale!!

Far off hurricanes though, you wouldn't be trying to dramatise your post by any chance?

Far off hurricanes though, you wouldn't be trying to dramatise your post by any chance?

Call them what one wants. Hurricane force winds and record breaking gusts were experienced in all 3 of these events. WRT the term hurricane: in a Carribean context, these 3 severe storms would not be considered strong but in an IRISH context, they most certainly would. Out of the 100s of Irish storms, most are harmless enough but these 3 and a few more like them are the ones we will remember as they were exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wouldn't say winter is over but surely us weather watchers in this forum know by now that when this rot sets in it can go on for weeks on end. Any cold spells will be transient.

ECM1-144.GIF?21-12
    Cold spells tend to be transient every winter here. Easterlies producing heavy snow for a week are rare here. The pattern we have had up to now is cold zonality alternating with milder periods. The Polar Vortex isn't very strong this year compared to last year, as long as there is a tendency for heights to go into the arctic, the jet will still trend south at times, which opens up the possibility of short cold spells from the north or north west. However if we are being imby about it; this is wanting heavy snow from streamers for the east of Ireland then that's unlikely to happen anytime soon without a SSW event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Cold spells tend to be transient every winter here. Easterlies producing heavy snow for a week are rare here. The pattern we have had up to now is cold zonality alternating with milder periods. The Polar Vortex isn't very strong this year compared to last year, as long as there is a tendency for heights to go into the arctic, the jet will still trend south at times, which opens up the possibility of short cold spells from the north or north west. However if we are being imby about it; this is wanting heavy snow from streamers for the east of Ireland then that's unlikely to happen anytime soon without a SSW event
    Streamers? Who's expecting streamers? Not me anyway.
    This will be the seventh mild and dull Christmas in a row, personally I'd be happy with a nice quiet spell of sunny weather with hard overnight frosts over the festive period but even that is too much to expect in what we now call winter!
    It might be a little early to say that the PV isn't as strong as last year, we'll know in a week or two.

ECM1-144.GIF?21-0

To be fair, the PV was very weak last year nacho libre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

1997 was the worst i was out in. Above Darwin 2014 and Ophelia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember Christmas Eve 1997, somehow we drove in the middle of it to a friends house for Christmas drinks, got collected around 1am and the roads were covered in leafs, twigs and even branches. The noise of the wind that evening was intense, could hear tree's cracking in the distance. Ophelia was only a summer breeze in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember Christmas Eve 1997, somehow we drove in the middle of it to a friends house for Christmas drinks, got collected around 1am and the roads were covered in leafs, twigs and even branches. The noise of the wind that evening was intense, could hear tree's cracking in the distance. Ophelia was only a summer breeze in comparison.

We were heading out to lunch Christmas Eve and only realised how bad it was when a telephone pole accross the road blocked our path. Turned around for home, took another route, a second pole down, third route attempt and pole was hanging over the road and we took a chance and went under it at full speed. Never been so frightened. Ophelia taking my polytunnel and roof ridge tiles wasn't even close in the adrenaline stakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Jaysus lads, snow showers in june, stormy winds on christmas eve, my memory must be rightly banjaxed cos i cant remember any of the things mentioned above, im lucky to just about remember what last christmas weather was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Jaysus lads, snow showers in june, stormy winds on christmas eve, my memory must be rightly banjaxed cos i cant remember any of the things mentioned above, im lucky to just about remember what last christmas weather was like.

Legand.

Groundhog day again, cloudy, foggy, miserable and dark, i like the dry weather we're getting but really could do with a little bit of winter sunshine, instead it looks like rain from christmas eve, how delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The end of the Met eireann forecast mentions the possibility of some wintry falls next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Groundhog day again, cloudy, foggy, miserable and dark, i like the dry weather we're getting but really could do with a little bit of winter sunshine, instead it looks like rain from christmas eve, how delightful

Yes horrible weather but it's been constantly wet for me. Footpaths have been wet since Monday.

Lucreto wrote: »
    Yes horrible weather but it's been constantly wet for me. Footpaths have been wet since Monday.

Yeah same here regarding the footpaths but its been dry enough for me apart from the odd spell of misty rain, if it wasnt so cloudy i think the paths and driveway would be dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Suns out in Arklow,right now,so I’ll take that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Looks like the most boring Christmas weather in years is on the cards (no pun intended) this year.

• Advertisement

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Looks like the most boring Christmas weather in years is on the cards (no pun intended) this year.

Well on Wednesday you said it would be very mild, which it won't as it'll be turning cold fairly quickly on Christmas day.

Do you read the forecasts or just complain regardless?

Advertisement