Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 214 - DC vs Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Maia Decision
    Poor guy only trying to be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Maia Decision
    Tilikum wrote: »
    What are yer thoughts on the lawlor/cowboy fight?

My first thought is that won't be the first time Lawler is spelt that way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Woodley Sub
    My first thought is that won't be the first time Lawler is spelt that way :D

*Quick lads get him, he spelt a fighters name wrong*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Reckon Cowboy curls up after 60 seconds. Hope Cowboy kicks his head into the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Maia Decision

User name checks out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maia Decision
    Here's that presser meme from the other night I was talking about above.........

danameme.png

So wearing the t-shirt tonight just endorses the thinking behind it really.

Maia Decision

First non Mcg card you checked in on don't worry happens all the time Tilly cum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Woodley Sub
    As much as I dislike Jones and hope DC wins. Was great seeing him on the scales and ready to fight again. Hope it lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Woodley Sub
    D.Q wrote: »
    That fight was a lot closer than I remember.

I think it came down to a cardio issue for DC. Commentary was saying it was only his 2nd 5 round fight. Hopefully tomorrow the extra experience will stand to him.

Well to be fair Jones was landing a load of knees to the body earlier on in the fight which probably paid dividends towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Has it been released how many times USADA have tested Jones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Maia Decision
    There is a database where you can check every registered athlete and how often they are being tested.

Might be on their website maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maia Decision
    6 times so far this year. 3 times so far in July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I am going for Jones, Woodley (hopefully Maia) Cyborg and Lawlor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Woodley Sub
    Cannot wait for tonight. Have an awful feeling that woodley will knock maia out.

Got to give jones the edge due to the last fight and the size advantage. If dc can take him down early and get jones to waste some energy then i can see him getting the win. A big ask though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maia Decision
    Tinie wrote: »
    What was Volkan trying to give manuwa? Was it a box of chocolates?

Dana's 48th birthday yesterday, I think the idea was to give Jimi a choc and give the rest to Dana. Rejected x2.

I'm probably not alone but I think Oezdemir is dangerous as feck, he's got insane confidence in a quiet, unassuming way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Maia Decision
    Plus his name is Volkan

Maia Decision
    Most people suspect Dana is two faced and he confirmed it at the face off.

twofaceddana.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Woodley Sub
    Jaysis lads, it was Swiss chocolate since he's representing Switzerland. It's a common thing to offer as a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Casual returning UFC fan here, tuning in because of Jones' comeback.
    I think its DC's night, by submission. I'd say Jones will be rusty and already has one eye on the Lesnar fight in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Woodley Sub
    In my book it really does depend on what Jones turns up and what the layoff has done to him. If he's as good as he ever was, he wins. If he puts in the kind of performance he did against OSP, he doesn't.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision
    Hoping for a DC win too.

Everytime I see Jones being a decent bloke it seems like such hard work for him.

His more natural demeanor seems to be grade A dickhead. At the presser he was moaning about how getting rich so young sent him off the rails but how now he sees the light... but I don't buy a bar of it. Usually in these big fights I just want the best fighter to emerge victorious but in this one I just want Jones to lose.

Think Cowboy beats Robbie handy enough and like Woodley for the win also.

Woodley Sub
    Think Cowboy beats Robbie handy enough and like Woodley for the win also.

Depends on what's left of Lawler's chin I think. Was surprised at the weigh-ins to see Cowboy is still ranked as high as 6th.

Maia Decision
    Was surprised at the weigh-ins to see Cowboy is still ranked as high as 6th.

Was 4 from 4 last year though.......

And there was only six weeks or so between the Masvidal fight and the Matt Brown one, which wasn't the easiest of fights and so should he even have been fighting so soon after it?

Cowboy is too damn eager to fight often for his own good. Not a chance the UFC would let one of their more high profile fighters fight as often.

Woodley Sub
    He was 4 from 4 and then got absolutely murdered by Masvidal. I thought he was ranked 7th when he got that fight so was surprised to see him at 6th. The 7th ranking might have been before the Matt Brown fight I guess and since then both MacDonald and Larkin have gone to Bellator.

Anyway, I think he's a bellend and hope Lawler massacres him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

DC Sub
    Riddle me this. Who is the tall British fella that attends these press conferences etc etc. Plays a security role and keeps fighters apart. Tall bald chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Woodley KO/TKO
    Jones eating pancakes in his embedded video reminds me of something he talking about relating to his partying days. He used to party before fights so he would have an excuse for himself in case he lost. Add to that his decision not to train in front of the press because he says he has trained enough lately, I think this is him trying really hard to look like he's taking it easy because he's afraid of losing.

DC might be in his head. I think there's a chance that Jones fears the new DC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Maia Decision
    Riddle me this. Who is the tall British fella that attends these press conferences etc etc. Plays a security role and keeps fighters apart. Tall bald chap.

Head of security for the UFC, ex military.

Maia Decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maia Decision
    DC (by KO early)
    Maia (by Sub)
    Cyborg (by soccer-mom beatdown)
    Lawler (KO round 2)
    Oezdemir (KO round 1)

I'm sort of letting my bias frame my picks because I can't stand Jones or Cowboy but I still think people are sleeping on the fact that when DC originally fought Jones it was a) the first time he had headlined a UFC event and b) came a little over 5 years into his MMA career.

Fast forward 2 and a half years, everything has changed. USADA has come in. Jones has barely been fighting. DC has headlined 3 events since then and been near the top of the bill at UFC 200.

I think the occasion got to Cormier as much as anything first time around. In many ways it reminds me of Conor v Nate 1 where Conor came out so hyped up and fighting at a frenetic pace head-hunting. DC did the same thing and gassed after a strong start.

I just have a feeling we won't see the Jon Jones we used to see. Cormier has improved markedly in the last few years and is far more comfortable under the pressure of the big stage than he used to be.

I think this could be shockingly one-sided and dominant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Maia Decision
    I hope you're right. Jones looks nervous IMO too, so much fake "I'm so calm, no fear for first time ever". Maybe he is popping something else but he doesn't seem 100% mentally to me.

Advertisement