Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 214 - DC vs Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Maia Decision
    Looking forward to this one. There's only so much May/Mac shyte a person can take. Let's see some real fights.

100% this thread is such a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Woodley Sub
    D.Q wrote: »
    So if an eye poke is called is it an automatic point taken off? Or how do they apply?

It's at the referee's discretion re: eye pokes, but even extending your fingers now is deemed a foul under the new rule set which could prove problematic for Jones as he is arguably the biggest culprit in the UFC for it.
    In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent's face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight in the air when reaching toward their opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maia Decision
    D.Q wrote: »
    So if an eye poke is called is it an automatic point taken off? Or how do they apply?

Big John is reffing the Main Event and won't be letting Jones away with murder (aka eye pokes). He MIGHT give him one warning but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he takes a point immediately. If I was in DC's camp, I'd be begging him not to do a Gunni. If he pokes you, stop and hold your eyes, don't try fight through it.

Co-Main ref = Herb Dean. Should be an easier gig just checking if Woodley is asleep or awake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll stay up for this one I think. nothing like watching it live, watching next day just doesn't give the same effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Maia Decision

Fight one for anyone interested.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »

That fight was a lot closer than I remember.

I think it came down to a cardio issue for DC. Commentary was saying it was only his 2nd 5 round fight. Hopefully tomorrow the extra experience will stand to him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maia KO/TKO
    People live vicariously through their sports stars, rockstars, Hollywood stars etc. The public in general just don't want their cage fighting champion to be a respectable goody two-shoes. The devil has all the best tunes.

People also like a car crash.

Yeah but we don't usually live through guys who knock down pregnant ladies, that sort of reflects badly

Woodley Sub

Watching back it's interesting to note how often and easily Cormier got inside, which is usually exactly where he would want to be, but in fact it was Jones who was most effective and efficient from that position.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maia KO/TKO
    Big John is reffing the Main Event and won't be letting Jones away with murder (aka eye pokes). He MIGHT give him one warning but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he takes a point immediately. If I was in DC's camp, I'd be begging him not to do a Gunni. If he pokes you, stop and hold your eyes, don't try fight through it.

Co-Main ref = Herb Dean. Should be an easier gig just checking if Woodley is asleep or awake :pac:

Well DC has been working on his eyepoke defense for years

Maia Decision
    rob316 wrote: »
    I'll stay up for this one I think. nothing like watching it live, watching next day just doesn't give the same effect.

Up with a few beers and some of Jonny bones magic dust.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision
    I've watched it a few times since and its always closer every time I see it, a lot of people Jones included think it was an easy fight for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maia Decision
    Is there no ceremonail weigh in ?

Just starting............

Maia Decision
    Pmsl at these promos, Randa Markos co main event for a UFC card next saturday haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Maia Decision
    Dana wearing a McGregor mayweather tshirt! Really?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Maia Decision
    Andre Fili's twitter handle :-)

@touchyfili

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

Maia Decision
    The cut of Tonya Evinger, saggy triceps and all.

Maia Decision
    Dana wearing a McGregor mayweather tshirt! Really?!?

Funny thing is there was a meme posted in reply to one of Dana's tweets re:rthe presser face off between Jones and DC where it zoomed in on Dana's face as he had his hands between the two of them and it read something like 'When your mind is on the May-Mac fight' or something similar......

..........and now he goes and wears a t-shirt effectively making the meme redundant.

Woodley Sub
    Cyborg might actually kill Evinger.

Maia Decision
    That baseball cap looks laughable on Evinger.

kev1.jpg

Maia Decision
    Last time I wrote someone off in a title fight as much as Evinger was Tj against Barao....

• Advertisement

Woodley Sub
    Maia even takes his t-shirt off spectacularly. What a man.

Woodley Sub
    Last time I wrote someone off in a title fight as much as Evinger was Tj against Barao....

Holly against Ronda for me. :pac:

Woodley Sub
    Ah **** off Jon.

He's licking Dana's hole now after saying he had no desire to speak to him again only 2 days ago.

Sums him up.

Maia Decision
    DC looks 250lbs.

Maia Decision
    ''Hey guys I made it to the event'' LOL

Maia Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    Cyborg might actually kill Evinger.

Honestly a bit worried for her. Hope she pulls a CM Punk and gets a comfy cuddle and a tap. Sadly Cyborg wants to put on a show....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Woodley Sub
    Cannot understand why DC gets such stick. Hope to God he wins but with the reach advantage and size difference, I can't see it happening.

What are yer thoughts on the lawlor/cowboy fight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Woodley Sub
    What was Volkan trying to give manuwa? Was it a box of chocolates?

Maia Decision
    12 inch reach advantage for Jones is wild.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision
    Tinie wrote: »
    What was Volkan trying to give manuwa? Was it a box of chocolates?

Must have been fair rough if even Dana turned them down

Advertisement