Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 214 - DC vs Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    That was also a long time ago and Damien is better now on feet. Enough to win on feet here ?? Undecided.

Not a hope IMO. Woodley has a huge speed and power advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maia Decision
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Not a hope IMO. Woodley has a huge speed and power advantage.

True but his output is shockingly low. Look at the Lawler fight, he didn't throw a single punch for nearly 80 seconds. Ok, he slept Robbie with the first big punch he landed ...

Ditto the Wonderboy fights.

Woodley has speed and power advantages, for sure, but he doesn't exactly throw many shots. I think Maia will be comfortable if it stays standing just working behind his jab.

All that being said, I expect Maia to shoot for a takedown within 20 seconds of round 1. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

True but his output is shockingly low. Look at the Lawler fight, he didn't throw a single punch for nearly 80 seconds. Ok, he slept Robbie with the first big punch he landed ...

Ditto the Wonderboy fights.

Woodley has speed and power advantages, for sure, but he doesn't exactly throw many shots. I think Maia will be comfortable if it stays standing just working behind his jab.

All that being said, I expect Maia to shoot for a takedown within 20 seconds of round 1. :D

Woodley is tentative but in both the Wonderboy and Lawler fights he was facing dangerous strikers who could sting him.

He might be cautious this time because of the takedown but I think the longer the fight goes on the feet, the more desperate and telegraphed Maias takedown attempts get.

I don't agree that Maia will be comfortable behind his jab, unless it's improved a lot I don't think it will get Woodleys respect and if he's flicking it out there lazily like he often does Woodley could time that bomb right hand counter. Interesting all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Maia Decision
    Woodley is gonna be doing some serious running in round 1, Maias shots were telegraphed big time in rd 2 and 3 against Masvidal he looked very tired although that might have been to elevation because I think that was in Denver or something was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Woodley Sub
    Nah, it was Madvidal-Cowboy in Denver I think.

I'd say he was pretty darn tired from having to hold his body triangle for the entire first round though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Maia Decision
    Live weigh-ins start at 5pm GMT. I watched them once on mmajunkie on youtube and found it quite entertaining actually.

Maia Decision
    Whose missing weight? ill take the double DC and Cyborg.

Woodley Sub
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Whose missing weight? ill take the double DC and Cyborg.

I'd love DC to come in at 206 just for a tiny bit of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd love DC to come in at 206 just for a tiny bit of trolling.

If DC comes in over 205 will he be stripped of the title and Jon Jones given an interim belt if he wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

DC KO/TKO
    I'm pretty sure Demian's stand up was terrible and Silva was just making a mockery of him for the entire fight cause he knew Maia didn't have a chance against him. He also didn't finish Thales Leites before that simply because he couldn't be bothered.

Tbh, if anything the Silva fight does make Maia's stand up look awful because you see how little threat he posed that his opponent didn't even feel he needed to finish him

That's how I remember it, silva just clowning around being an arsehole and yes his stand up was terrible that night, posed zero threat to silva.
    I lost all respect for silva that night as did many other I'd imagine and when weidman beat him doing more or less that same thing I was ecstatic.

It's such a same the likes of whittaker, romero rock and the likes weren't around when silva was champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Maia Decision
    tinpib wrote: »
    Live weigh-ins start at 5pm GMT. I watched them once on mmajunkie on youtube and found it quite entertaining actually.

On Mmafighting Ariel usually does his nature documentary impression coverage :D

Woodley Sub
    If DC comes in over 205 will he be stripped of the title and Jon Jones given an interim belt if he wins?

If Jones makes weight and wins, he gets the title.

Maia Decision

When a champion misses weight, it becomes a non-title fight.

The UFC can choose to strip DC after-the-fact (win or lose), the belts are a prop after all, but Jones doesn't win any belt if DC misses weight.

Only real comparison is Sonnen v Filho when Filho missed weight as a champion, they fought, Chael won and he didn't get the belt. Filho took it upon himself to send Sonnen the belt in the post with a little note saying "this is yours".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Woodley Sub

Ariel's one is the best. He starts shooting off endless random facts about the city he's in between fighters weighing in. The tension gets ridiculous when someone is missing with like 10 mins left.

But it's a non championship fight if either go over the 205

Woodley Sub
    But it's a non championship fight if either go over the 205

My understanding was that that only applied to the party that doesn't make weight. Would be a bit ridiculous if Jones can make weight, beat the champion and not be awarded the title. Happily retracted if that's the case, just seems nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

When Anderson Silva fought Travis Lutter and Lutter didnt make weight it's wasn't counted as a title fight and therefore didn't count towards his title defence record. That's why it's 10 and not 11 as it should be.

Maia Decision
    My understanding was that that only applied to the party that doesn't make weight. Would be a bit ridiculous if Jones can make weight, beat the champion and not be awarded the title. Happily retracted if that's the case, just seems nuts.

It is sorta nuts but it's the way it's done.

The only time it would remain a title fight is in situations like Pettis-Holloway, where neither man is the champion. Then, the title is winnable by one opponent.

If DC misses weight, what will happen is they will announce the fight is a non-title fight, DC forfeits 20% purse, it becomes 3 rounds and then Dana will decide whether to strip DC after-the-fact (win or lose).

The reverse is also true if Jones misses weight, in the sense it's immediately a non-title fight.

Maia Decision
    If Dc misses hes stripped instantly and only Jones can win I assumed.

While that makes the most amount of sense I don't think it's the case unfortunately.
    I think it's a distinct possibility that DC misses weight, he struggled last time out and it wasn't all that long ago

• Advertisement

Woodley Sub
    Don't think it's a problem this time

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/890957455416369152

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

DC Sub

It says starts live in 7 hours?

Woodley Sub
    DC weighs in first at 205

Maia Decision
    It says starts live in 7 hours?

That's the ceremonial event

Maia Decision
    No stream of the weigh ins going on now what a joke, wanted to see how DC looks.

Maia Decision
    Aljo 139.5 apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

DC Sub
    No stream of the weigh ins going on now what a joke, wanted to see how DC looks.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/ufc-214-early-weigh-in-results-live-video-stream-noon-et

jons was 204.5

Maia Decision

There's loads of streams :) Here ya go:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/ufc-214-early-weigh-in-results-live-video-stream-noon-et

DC looked Conor McGregor level of death. Jones looked great. Maia looked surprisingly better than usual. No sign of Cyborg.

Maia Decision
    Aljo 139.5 apparently

Catchweight at 140 that one is.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision
    Catchweight at 140 that one is.

Oh since when I see Barao 140

Advertisement