Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 214 - DC vs Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maia Decision
    Tinie wrote: »
    4 title fights in a year? How can you not.
    4 fights in a year.
    In 2 years, still 4 fights.
    2.5 years, he just scrapes a 5th fight.

Swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maia Decision
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    [
    You won't see too many blue belts tapping vitor
    Vitors black belt is fairly flakey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You won't see too many blue belts tapping vitor

Or putting Machida to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Jones by guillotine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Maia Decision
    Second 1 more like, 0.01! Boom! Cris with the hidden H. Fair play to the bantamweight woman taking a fight against a featherweight man!

Took a quick skim of yer wan's record on wiki, she actually fought once at flyweight in November 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Maia Decision
    Hope she doesn't get seriously hurt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Maia Decision
    The new embedded is gas with Gabi Garcia in it what human she is... pair them strolling down the road I'd be crossing over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Woodley Sub
    Gamebred wrote: »
    The new embedded is gas with Gabi Garcia in it what human she is... pair them strolling down the road I'd be crossing over.

Saw a comment which cracked me up saying "gabi and cyborg heading into town to find snu snu"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Woodley Sub
    What kind of beast carries a mouth-guard around in their purse haha.

Was "I cracked my skull" a weird off-the-cuff reference to poor Cyborg Santos??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maia Decision
    DC looks drained and exhausted. Jones looks fresh as a daisy. Jimi Manuwa looks shredded. Caroline Pearce looks her usual self!

Interesting tidbits in there... Jones says he wants the Brock Lesnar fight, DC said he'll fight Stipe if Cain is ok with it and Manuwa says he had a conference call with Dana and David Haye about fighting Haye, possibly in the O2 Arena, when Haye is ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Gus become LWH champ as eveyone else leaves the division.

Maia Decision
    dashoonage wrote: »
    Gus become LWH champ as eveyone else leaves the division.

Ha funny you mention that. DC joked he doesn't want to fight Gus again (too hard), Manuwa says he'll never ever fight Gus again (too close friendship) and Jones didn't seem too keen on the idea in a separate interview.

They all know Alex is a beast and a tough fight.

Maia Decision
    If I could pick a fantasy fight to see I'd probably pick Jones Gus 2, it needs to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Woodley Sub
    Yep agreed it'd be a great rematch. Especially with their recent epic twitter beef.

If I could pick a fantasy fight to see I'd probably pick Jones Gus 2, it needs to happen.

When bones beats DC surely its got to be the next step at LWH ? if anyone is left at LHW.

Are we really gonna put Jimi Manuwa next in line?

Maia Decision
    dashoonage wrote: »
    When bones beats DC surely its got to be the next step at LWH ? if anyone is left at LHW.

Are we really gonna put Jimi Manuwa next in line?

Providing Jones doesnt end up in prison, I'd love to see it headline New Years card or something, let Manuwa fight DC for the #1 contender spot on the same card would be cool, too awesome to happen so I'll stop dreaming.

Maia Decision
    So Dana White and Joe Rogan publicly question Cyborg's gender, yet we're not allowed to on here?

Seems a bit odd. I'm honestly not sure. Like seriously, there seems a very questionable status of Cyborg, as well as the drugs and testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Maia Decision
    So Dana White and Joe Rogan publicly question Cyborg's gender, yet we're not allowed to on here?

Seems a bit odd. I'm honestly not sure. Like seriously, there seems a very questionable status of Cyborg, as well as the drugs and testosterone.

Dana and Joe basically made jokes about her gender as opposed to questioning it if i remember correctly.

She's obviously a woman...just a juiced up one...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You were given a friendly warning over pm on the topic - keep poking the bear and you will find it turning into a card very quickly.

Maia Decision
    Obviously is a bit of a stretch. I'm not joking here. This is like the "women" who competed for the Nazi Germany in the olympics.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision
    Regarding Cyborg there's a couple of things we can state as a fact.

First of all, she's all woman!

Secondly, she factually popped for Stanozolol in 2011, which is an anabolic steroid. More recently she received a Therapeutic Use Exemption in dubious circumstances for spironalactone, which is a diuretic commonly used as a masking agent for steroids.

So she's been a cheater in the past and deserves suspicion.

Lastly, she's not indestructible. Jorina Baars dropped her multiple times and beat her convincingly in that Muay Thai war they put on in 2014. I'd actually quite fancy Valentina Shevchenko to beat Cyborg. She has a great chin, her judo and kickboxing is amazing and her ground game is extremely tricky, so it wouldn't be a picnic. I'd love to see that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Woodley Sub
    Regarding Cyborg there's a couple of things we can state as a fact.

First of all, she's all woman!

Secondly, she factually popped for Stanozolol in 2011, which is an anabolic steroid. More recently she received a Therapeutic Use Exemption in dubious circumstances for spironalactone, which is a diuretic commonly used as a masking agent for steroids.

So she's been a cheater in the past and deserves suspicion.

Lastly, she's not indestructible. Jorina Baars dropped her multiple times and beat her convincingly in that Muay Thai war they put on in 2014. I'd actually quite fancy Valentina Shevchenko to beat Cyborg. She has a great chin, her judo and kickboxing is amazing and her ground game is extremely tricky, so it wouldn't be a picnic. I'd love to see that fight.

Shevchenko not too small dont you think ? She doesnt even cut weight for batamweight.

I think holly holm could bring her trouble and i reckon that what the ufc will book next if cyborg wins on saturday

Maia Decision
    ricero wrote: »
    Shevchenko not too small dont you think ? She doesnt even cut weight for batamweight.

I think holly holm could bring her trouble and i reckon that what the ufc will book next if cyborg wins on saturday

She's undersized but no worse than Lina Lansberg size wise and Cyborg didn't exactly walk through Lina and Valentina will be throwing a lot more back.

Yeah I agree, Holly can beat Cyborg too if she sticks behind her jab and kicks and turns it into a kickboxing match. To be honest I think Amanda Nunes could beat her as well but she's doing that "I won't fight my friends" spiel.

Maia Decision
    Just reminds me so much of the East German women who unknowingly took anabolic steroids in the 80s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger

Difference here is Cyborg knows what she was taking.

Maia Decision
    Just reminds me so much of the East German women who unknowingly took anabolic steroids in the 80s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Krieger

Difference here is Cyborg knows what she was taking.

Her excuse was "bad weight cut". That was her excuse for both the anabolic steroids in 2011 and the diuretic in 2016. I'm not buying it.

Not trying to excuse her behaviour but in 2011 and during the TRT-era I think most fighters were using. Especially the Brazilians.

The thing is I've seen studies that say the long-term-benefits of steroid use can last many, many years. So she's still got residual ongoing benefits from however many years she was cheating.

Controversial opinion but I think Germaine had a point in her refusal to fight her. Easy to make jokes about her being scared but if she genuinely felt it wouldn't be a fair fight, then kudos to her for taking a stand.

Maia Decision
    Honestly, the difference it makes to a woman's metabolism is scientifically proven and clear to see. I think it's insane that she's allowed to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The thing that irks me about GDR not fighting Cyborg is when she signed up for a featherweight title fight who did she expect to be facing next? A division and belt specifically brought in for Cyborg. Stands to reason there's a good chance it would be her first title defense and she was just like nah.

Now forever she can say she was a UFC champ and you can't take that away from her but when it comes in a fight were she clearly hit Holly twice after the bell and refuses to fight the only true featherweight on the roster, does it even mean anything?

Maia Decision
    4 Weeks of training Maia got for this comp what a stitch up.

I know! But as he said himself this could be his only shot.

• Advertisement

Maia Decision

He's had a 20 year 7 month camp for this.

Take him down, take his back and strangle him. He'll be grand.

Advertisement