Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fury wasn't looking like a robot for 5 round getting chinned and taking massive blows to the head repeatedly

Fury didn't look out of it frankly at all, but my argument is that Wilder was taking an unnecessary beating. Fury didn't at any point, any more that you'd expect.

I can't see how you possibly compare the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury was out of it for a few seconds, but did climb up off the canvas and was firing back soon after...

I am not disagreeing. My point was more of it being very difficult to call. These thing are rarely exact. Lot of things to consider. Ones I mentioned

He was firing back, he was not getting tagged hugely consistently (lot of missed shots), and he had the equalizer. I think the referee certainly did his job properly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would hardly be the first. I'd say if you went back to the early days with the likes of Jack Dempsey that it would have been common enough. I'm just assuming that so I could be wrong. Sure even Ali had an Irish great grandfather.

Joshua also has an Irish grandfather I think

Sure isn't everyone Irish!!!!

• Advertisement

Don't have to go that far back.

Any given Saturday/ Sunday morning at 2am outside supermacs in Ballinasloe you'll find 2 heavyweights going at it hammer and tongs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye Jacks da was Irish,

He had what 8 fights as champion, I know people thought for a long time Bill Brennan was Irish born but that ended up being a lie he was German but he did fight Gene Tunney who's both parents where Irish ,

So your correct ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭normanoffside

You’ve added Fury’s score up wrong there. You have it 95-91.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭squinn2912

You guys notice the contrast between sugarhill with Fury wnd aj’s corner? Urgency, direct and simple message and a good dose of shut up and listen. Aj should nearly take Fury up on the offer to train him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Aj’s corner last time out was terrible and it reminded me of the dubois corner when he was up against Joyce, boxers need good solid advice and direction sometimes.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Helenius is mandatory for usky aj winner apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Helenius new mandatory for WBA belt. As a poster earlier mentioned.. they're probably likely to be split up rather than any unification ever happening

Neither Martin or the Fin are.wprth more than half a dozen round with Usyk or AJ

Martin only managed 2 with AJ

Surely Trevor Bryan is automatically mandatory? He’s the regular champion..

you’d get lost with these organisations

He's some champ alright. Rather than call out for a shot at the title, this dope calls out a 55 year mike tyson.

Aim high champ 🤣

There isn't alot of quality floating about stateside in the HW division

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrWisdom

I think Furys corner knew to give DW a few rounds to tire. Attempting a new style with 1.5 stone muscle extra was a bad idea.

I also think Fury is taking shots he doesn't need to take. It was definitly the right idea to back Wilder up but a few years ago Fury doesn't get hit with many of those shots.

He was even getting clipped against Wallin with shot's I haven't seen him take before.He's dropped a lot of his boxing IMO. Head movement, feints, boxing outside.

He has the heart of a lion and can take a shot but there is no need to walk through shots like he is doing IMO.

He's dropped a lot of his boxing IMO. Head movement, feints, boxing outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Fury has taken heavy shots In almost everyone of his fights that I can remember apart from Vlad and schawrtz

I think his boxing has come on a lot. He’s always been very good with defensive movement but unorthadox positions allow him to get hit. Moving almost 7 ft out of the way isn’t easy. It depends on the style he’s chosen and the trainer. Peter had him boxing at range and that worked well against a great opponent like Wlad or a slow one like Chisora II (this was the poorest I’ve ever seen Chisora, even counting the Haye fight). When Ben D trained him he had all the weight on so they were managing that and he fought against lower opposition until Wilder I where he boxed and moved very well but still was rusty and stamina not built up enough so he got caught and clipped. I think he neglected to follow trainer’s advice esp in the 12th round. Then Sugarhill turned him into an aggressive, attacking fighter (for Wilder anyway). It’s really exciting and it uses all of his attributes but there’s risk. I’m not sure the older more timid style would have enabled him to keep away from Wilder as well and he’d have been punching while dancing away so getting far less of his own power in. I think these last two fights have seen him develop into the very best version of himself, even if he did get caught in the 4th the other night. I think this version wipes out 2015 Wlad and hammers the version that aj defeated, possibily ina similar fashion to the other night, climbing off the canvas to win via ko.

If AJ had beaten Usyk then what a fight that would be to make. If he retires now then I wouldn’t think much of him as the greatest of the era, he still has more to do. There are other rivals than Wilder and he’s favourite to beat them all but he’s not done it yet. I think his biggest enemy is himself for his next fight. Say it were Whyte well I could see motivation being an issue, he won’t get into Whyte’s head as much and Whyte will be game as on fight night. A lacklustre performance and Whyte could very well ko him. I’d count that less of a shock than Douglas or Rachmann, and Fury has the tendancy to throw the head up. On his A Game then he rips Whyte apart.

I think a Fury with no training and just his normal fight weight still easily beats Whyte

folks also talking about Whyte beating AJ. Whyte still has the same chance as he did years ago. A KO. Even a less aggressive and more cautious AJ easily outboxes Whyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's a disgrace really that it's taken so long for the top fighters to actually start fighting each other.

Too much money padding going on. Joshua had 14 pro fights before actually meeting anyone semi decent in Dillian Whyte.

Joshua became IBF champ in 2016. Fury beat Wladimir in 2015. 5/6 years later and a countless number of PPV events later and they still haven't fought.

• Advertisement

If he has no training then he’s not switched on and he would be in danger. Whyte is a big ignorant lump and he hasn’t anything like the mental fragility of Wilder.

I dismissed the chance of him beating aj for long and long but it was to some who were telling me Usyk would beat him. I’m less confident now. I know aj believes he has his beating and that’s huge in this fight. I doubt it if they’ll meet again with both in a strong position.

I think he purposely dropped the "boxing" for fighting Wilder , Just because if he was caught off balance or ducking into a shot it would be game over,

If your going to be tagged by Wilder better off its chin down biting on your mouth piece expecting it to come rather than getting caught as your try to duck & weave, Fury expected to be hit he said plenty of times you can't shower without getting wet,

Also i noticed Lennox on commentary kept saying Fury is smothering his own work in the later rounds that he needed to step back to finish him but it was obvious that was Fury's tactic to give Wilder no space to catch him with a hail Mary shot, There no question Fury could feel Wilder tiring & new if he just kept on him the stoppage would come, No way was Fury going that far in the fight and stepping off looking for a KO only to be caught himself,

I

That’s been an age old thing. Look at Tyson’s first 15 odd fights. Then even look at the next 15. He didn’t meet anyone really until Berbeck.

Fury took 3.5 years out and then the rematch clause held it up, Joshua had to fight Usyk. It’s hard to make all align.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Completely agree, refusal to give Wilder any space was completely misread as being sloppy and smothering his own work. He did completely respect Wilders power so it was a smart move IMO.

Re Whyte, I can see motivation being an issue. For some reason I can just see Fury not wanting to fight him. Citing it as not being a challenge to get him in the zone for training, maybe not wanting to give Eddie Hearn the payday etc... I get the impression he doesn't like people dictating to him whom he should fight. So will be interesting to see what he does if the WBC orders him to do so (lets not forget Wallin could beat Whyte and Fury didn't look hectic against Wallin last time). So imagine WBC order he fights Wallin, he might say been there done that and vacate and wait for Usyk/AJ.

Would love to see him fight Whyte, would be good build up, and allow him return to UK to promote himself, but to be honest you just never know with him. He may have a breakdown, balloon in weight etc... with no really big challenge on the horizon, think he is genuinely gutted that AJ was beaten as that was the real carrot to keep him focused.

Whyte will start calling Fury all sorts & Fury will do the same in return and it will get Fury motivated

It'll be a real edge there always is with Whyte , his brother Dean (who's not his brother) & Shane Fury have called each out before for a scrap so there will be fire works

I seen lots of people on Twitter even some ex fighters talking about the ref's count & how he stopped to tell Wilder to go into his corner,

It baffles me as to why, Its the 10 Count not a 10 second rule , The ref counts at his own discretion & also has every right to stop the count to tell the other fighter to go to the corner as he is not allowed to receive advise during the 10 count so he has to go to a neutral corner ,

Also the rule was brought in as a gentleman's agreement to give fighter a chance to go again hence why its not counted quickly or protested against often , ,

I think video games and the likes have made people see the rule differently where your in a panic to beat the count,

In real life & in the pro game if the ref see's your getting up and not totally out of it he will give you every chance to continue even more so in a world title fight ,

Lot folks don't realize it's a 10 count, not a 10 seconds count.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Butson

How do people see the state of boxing in general now?

All the usual problems remain in terms of too many belts / tv stations etc but it does seem to be transferring into the mainstream more and more lately.

Friends of mine who never watched a fight in the last 10 years have all been watching Canelo and the heavyweight fights this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

People can say what they like about Eddie Hearn, but he is a fantastic promoter. Hopefully DAZN is a real success and alot more marquee names come under that umbrella and fights get made easier. Production values from Matchroom are also terrific, the razz matazz really brings in casual viewers, big entrances etc.. its all very WWE but its small things like that that end up putting extra eyes on the sport at end of the day.

His move across the water into the US market has been cool I think, the Canelo v Saunders show production wise was big improvement on the usual fare you get at US fights. Even fights in vegas lack the kind of tv production value that should be the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The only meaningful fight for Fury now is Usyk.

Whyte / Fury is a non event.

AJ, based on the last fight, has little chance vs Usyk.

Advertisement