Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What i will say very early to compare Fury , AJ , Wilder to old school fighters we need to see them fight more big names in the next few years ,Although time is against Wilder

If guys like Smith ,Tucker ,Ruddock could last 12 with Mike don't see why AJ or Wilder couldn't , There's also Tilis & Green but Tyson was only about 19 then

Tua is a bit like Parker loads of wins but never fought anyone & the few times he did he lost,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, seriosuly...I'll give you Fury being a puzzle for Tyson...but AJ lasing 12 rds? How?

What more of Wilder and AJ do you need to see? Both in their 30s now. Years boxing as pros. What big names do AJ and Wilder need to fight? Both have fought big names, and lost.

He has no chin to survive, and are you seriously telling me that a prime Tyson won't find it for 12 rds?

Smith and Tucker were far More wily and durable and tough than AJ......Fat Andy Ruiz stopped AJ, and Tyson is far deadlier a puncher, and far more aggressive as well...

Wilder lasts no time as well....Tyson finds him easily for a KO

I know you think Tyson was overrated, but this is taking it far too far.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

All fair enough but Fury is much better now than in 2015 as well. Prime Fury (now) vs prime Wlad and I think you got another ko for Fury. Interesting the 40 year old Wlad that fought aj might have been the one to give Fury most problems but he’d never snare Fury like he did aj those shots were so telegraphed and aj just stood watching the decoy hand.

Fury now KOs best Wlad?

Based off taking 11 rds to stop a gassed Wilder?

Or Fury from the 2nd Wilder fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fury never KOs Vladimir. No chance. Fury isn't actually a ko merchant. He grinds fighters down. You don't grind valdimir down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

He doesn't have the chin of a Fury or a Wilder, so there's a real danger he'll get put down if he lets his hands go and gets into a tear-up - as happened in round 3 of his first fight with Ruiz. So it's a balancing act for him. He's probably been more tentative and hesitant since Ruiz got to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Fury's a far more aggressive fighter now since he started working with Sugar Hill Steward. I'd say he'd KO Wladimir Klitschko.

I mean Fury over the last two fights. Very different fighter. Yea I think he kos Wlad.

He would. I think Wlad’s mental fragility would have come back. This Fury would batter the 2015 version of himself even. That version beat Wlad convincingly even if he wasn’t his best he was the man at the time.

I dunno why anyone is surprised I said that. The other day I finally said out loud I think I’d favour him to beat (just) Lewis. I think that’s a much bigger statement

Definitely agreed regarding Lewis.

I’d give Fury a 20 percent chance to KO prime Wlad

I’d give him a 1 percent chance to beat a prime Lewis.

• Advertisement

Haha. I don’t agree and that’s fine. I think most likely is that even this Fury is probably more inclined to fight Wlad long. Big power, both hands and far better balance and cuteness. If I were betting I’d bet on a late ko for Fury. I think he’d be too slick and I think he could bully Wlad too not as much as Wilder but enough to break him.

I very very slightly favour Fury and it bugs me because I usually reluctantly go for Lewis to beat anyone I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's defended it against Seferi, Pianeta, Schwartz, Wallin and Wilder. Not a great list of names.

No hope against Lewis who keeps him at distance easily and if he gets in his lights go out because he doesn't have the defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭reclose

Surely the new come forward style fury ends up on the wrong end of a Wlad left hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I heard an interview with Wallin on a boxing podcast last week and he said Whyte has a rematch clause if he loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's why I said will Fury have to wait around for the rematch?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

`yeah he is signed with eddie hear and rematchroom boxing

if whyte loses fury can crack on with another fight if he fancies it, he has one more to do in the states

The internet isn’t for everyone

I'm not saying anything defiantly happens , I'm pointing out that we have no idea what would happens,

Mike Tyson wasn't a wrecking machine in every fight obviously lost most of his big fights & also went 12 rounds with some less fighters , I'm saying i wouldn't be surprised if Fury, Wilder or Aj went 12 rounds or even beat him,

To me Mike Tyson is the most overrated fighter of all time ,He also have to take into account the size of todays fighters its a different ball game,

Strangely Fury, his Da & Peter have said that they noticed everyone for 10 years always fought Wlad trying to catch land that on big shot because of Brewster & Sanders but that he had fixed that hole ,So they thought the best bet was to fight him technically as he became arrogant & thought no one would even try that route to victory,

Again the beauty of Fury is he has different ways to skin the cat,

today a different ball game?

you’re not wrong here. It’s quite a weak division apart from Fury really.

are you being serious? A 220 lbs prime Tyson would rip AJ to pieces.

Can you tell me if you think fat Ruiz was/is more a threat to AJ than Tyson?

Ruiz is nowhere near the fighter and puncher a prime Tyson was, and he stopped AJ

what can AJ/Wilder do to stop a very aggressive heavy hitting Tyson getting to his chin?

I must be watching a different sport.

You’re taking like Tyson was from the 1920s weighing 185 lbs with more old style skills.

He was a solid 220 lbs who was very heavy handed, a lethal overall-puncher, ridiculously aggressive and could take a punch. He’s quite possibly AJs worst match up.

You seem to be basing this purely off AJ being bigger? He is bigger, but vs Tyson it counts for nothing, as AJ is not near a great big man.

Lewis and Bowe were great big men.

• Advertisement

Correct me if im wrong but Mike wasn't 220lbs in his Prime, He was 220lbs after Prison when he lost any decent fight he had,

He was 216lbs in what i consider his prime in and around when he fought Ruddock ( maybe a few lbs out )

Also you mention AJ getting stopped by Ruiz but Mike got stopped by Douglas who already been beat by some journey men ,

I'm basing it off i think Mike is extremely overrated , People rate Mike on "What could have been " not what was ,

They say ohh he was out of shape & out of his mind fighting Douglas , well that's his own fault, How do you know he wound's be same fighting AJ , Wilder , Fury,

I'm not saying Mike couldn't beat them I'm saying i wouldn't be surprised if they beat Mike,

Anyway i know people disagree & rate Mike highly & that's fine we all have opinions ,

Tyson isn't overrated, prime Tyson was before he did time. He was never the same after that. He unified the titles by beating champions including the 31-0 Michael Spinks.

Tyson was 35-0 and held all the titles including the Ring title before his 22nd birthday. After that he started going off the rails and that led to his shock loss to Buster Douglas. He then went to jail and when he came out he won a bunch of fights before the Holyfield fight but he wasn't the same fighter after prison.

Up to the time he went to jail he was awesome, best I've ever seen to that point and he was 41-1 at that stage which is a career in itself.

Tyson was 215-220 at prime. No point quibbling over couple lbs. Circa 218 v Spinks. 219.5 vs Carl Williams. And 220 v Buster. 221 v Tucker

Fought Ruddock post Douglas fight. Was very capable in 1991.

AJ v Tyson is what we are discussing. No idea why Douglas brought into it

Ruiz stopped AJ. Tyson is far more dangerous than fat Ruiz.

AJ has a weak chin, no actual spoiling/survival skills, and reacts badly when hurt.

How much more does he need to be handicapped before you see this as a disaster for him vs prime Tyson?

Can discuss Mike’s overall career separately, but if you cannot see Tyson knocking AJ out 999/1000 times, then not sure what to say.

of all the HWs, I’d argue Tyson to be AJs worst matchup…

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Spinks was light heavy weight ,He was just over 14 stone in his fights with homes & i think he was at a career high of 15st (210lbs ) v Tyson

Mike was certainly better before prison but unfortunately never had any real big fights ,

Who do you guys think Mikes best win is against ?

Ye i could see Mike stopping Aj i;d bet on Mike in that fight but if AJ stopped Mike i wouldn't be flabbergasted

Regarding AJ. How can you see it possibly going 12, knowing what Tyson fought like and knowing AJ?

what does AJ do to go 12, because I just cannot see it..

I’d be absolutely flabbergasted if he didn’t stop AJ

Tyson would send Joshua's head into row H.

• Advertisement

Depends which version of each turns up ,

As i said most likely Mike wins but if guys like Tillis,Green,Smith ,Tucker, Douglas didn't get knocked out AJ has at least shot ,

Who do you think is Mikes best win ,

Advertisement