Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Whyte gets past Wallin we can expect Whyte/Fury late spring.

be some crack if Whyte got the job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Wilders body shots in the opening rounds hurt fury, I was suprised he didn't keep at it after the fourth round. Credit to both fighters, fury for coming back and wilder just wouldn't give in.

Brilliant night of boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

What makes you think Fury will fight again so soon?

And new Lineal HW champion of the world!!😝😝

• Advertisement

I reckon he probably would like to.Late spring is 6 months away

then again, he could take it eazy for months..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I watched the broadcast video but this ringside amateur video angle really shows more effectively how Fury was brutally teeing off on Wilder at the end

Fury actually knocks a slumped Wilder back upright at 9 seconds with an uppercut so that he can cue off on him to put him down at 11 seconds for the finish 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Whyte would pose more danger than aj imo, he will go out all guns blazing regardless. Like whyte, no bull **** about him. Id be happy see fury beat usyk for all the belts then retire, whats the point in boxing on, his legacy will be well and truly cemented.

A deflated 'Bronze Bomber' has now broken his silence admitting his best just wasn't "good enough" on the night.

“I did my best, but it wasn’t good enough tonight. I’m not sure what happened," Wilder said post-fight. "I know that in training he did certain things, and I also knew that he didn’t come in at 277 pounds to be a ballet dancer. He came to lean on me, try to rough me up and he succeeded.”

• Advertisement

Still elements of excuses there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't think he's particularly a dirty fighter bit he led with the head towards the end of the fight, surprised it wasn't even mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m saying it all day! In all 3 fights he led with the nut, used it a bit like Wlad used the clinch. If you do that and you’re stronger then you win. Fury came through a war last night but saying that Lewis would beat him isn’t rubbish. I can see why some would argue that Lewis would obliterate him too. I don’t agree with that but I’m not full of confidence on my perspective. If Wilder could find a home for that big right then it would be hard to escape Lewis. Lewis jab was insane and figuring out fighters and how to beat them was a big thing with him. I’m a Fury fan but I think people are getting carried away with things.

I think what Wilder said post fight is fair enough. This is coming from a man who made David Haye’s explanation for a loss look sensible.

The jabs to the stomach worked well for him and that’s what gave him the opportunity in the 4th. Fury just knew exactly how to wear him out. I think his management team were exactly right in making this fight. Where else would they have gone? One way or another he was a whisker away from winning both fights 1 and 3 against a far superior fighter... that’s not a mismatch.

If Fury were to unify then retire he got to the top of the mountain and then walked away. That’s ok and he’d have a great legacy but that will take at least a year I’d think. In that time there will likely be new challenges to the elite end of the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Looked at the fight there today and Wilder must be impossible to coach, he came out for 2 rounds and looked ok. As soon as the fight didn't go to his plan he just stood up straight, stuck his left out as a range finder and swung that big looping right hand.

His ego just means you cannot coach anything into him and lets not forget he is 36, even though he doesn't look it, so his gas tank is not going to be as good as when he was 26 and he probably weighs 20 pounds more as well.

Fury landed twice the punches that Wilder did and that will wear anyone down, he has absolutely zero head movement.

Wilder's poor opposition on his record has always been there and it has showed big time in the Fury fights, in fact I think he was behind in a few fights and the big right has saved him against average fighters.

Not sure been mentioned, but anyone think Wilder should consider hanging them up?

He just doesn’t react well to shots. It was a sustained heavy beating last night, and a good beating in 2020 as well..every time Fury landed clean, Wilder was groggy..

I keep reading about great chin. It wasn’t a great chin at all. He was all over the shop many times, and Fury wasn’t levelling him either. Fury is not a big puncher. But he was still bucking and wobbling and dropping Wilder all night.

A heavier punching Fury with more accuracy would have done serious damage..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Never realised Wilder was 36! He looks much younger.

Based on recent fights Wilder would wipe the floor with Joshua. Joshua's lack of: (1) head movement, (2) gas, (3) chin, and (4) desire would make him the perfect opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wilders camp have a few important decisions to make, they need to step back and get a few handy wins, build confidence and go for another mega fight end of next year/early 23. He'll be happy he won't have to face the furious one again. Still has a role to play but needs to go back to the drawing board.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Noticed this, thought he was doing well against fury especially the body work, lost himself then after and the game plan went out the window.

Malik update on wilder :- "He's good, he's up in his room; I took him up to his room afterwards," Scott told ES News. "He saw the doctor but everything is cool. He's got a busted lip and broke his hand... broke his finger or his knuckle or something like that. 

"Life goes on, Fury I assume will get the [Oleksandr] Usyk shot which would be good. I really don't want Deontay talking about boxing or doing. nothing to do with boxing for quite some time, I want him to get some rest after this.

This is a good angle to see and hear furys shot land

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CU2c1O-Fvrf/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A fair dig in fairness, something that Fury has developed in the last few years, power punches.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If I was anyway related to him I'd be imploring him to hang 'em up.

He's still young, has a young family and is worth an absolute fortune.

There was a couple of times in the clinch last night where it looked like if Fury took a step back Wilder'd have been on the floor.

I think you make a very good point. In both fights he has been crucified over a large amount of rounds. He looked ready to go for ages, I think the doctor took a look at him going into the 8th? A long, long look. If in years to come God forbid he slurred speech and black outs or worse then we’d all think back to this fight when he really should have been saved from himself again. That last stand at the end of 10th was incredible and I think he stopped Fury in his tracks but he still had nothing himself. That was a very hard, punishing night on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He's a name, has a unique look and obviously boxing loves its Hispanic stars as they can draw good money so yeah he surely gets a big fight in the next year.

I seen a suggestion online from a purely American POV then Ruiz v Fury is so much bigger than Whyte v Fury, but obviously its likely Fury goes for the second option of Whyte assuming he wins in a few weeks.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm fairly delighted for Fury. Looks like someone just back from a month in Magaluf but is hard as nails.

Post edited by awec on

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Listening to Malik Scott on youtube he seems proud of himself just that Wilder was able to make a match of it.

I think he does deserve credit. His game plan gave wilder a better chance but when the heat came wilder abandoned it or Fury walked through it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Seen that interview.

The thing is, I seen the fight again and while everyone including myself enjoyed the fight, it should have been stopped much earlier. Its not in the interest of boxing if fighters are getting brain damaged, because that's what wilder got from that fight, a big paycheck, respect for his chin, and brain-damaged. He took punches to the head that weren't defended.

In Europe, that fight gets stopped in 7 no doubt. I don't accept the argument that he could have KO'd fury later in the fight.he may well have but frankly it's not likely. Some said he near KOd fury in 10. He wasn't even close to it. He tickled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,647 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I didn't think Fury looked that great on Saturday, I think he had a bit a off night he was getting hit and caught with plenty that he normally wouldn't

His naturally ability & toughness just shone through ,

Advertisement