Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Wilder is done,

He got his first title shot on the back of his best buddy Scott taking a dive & then pretty much held the belt captive until he fought aging Ortiz,

It's clear mentally he can't take getting beat by Fury so how would he feel if a Ruiz, Aj or Whyte happened to beat him, I think he will retire & probably blame a slow count when Fury was down or something like that to massage his own ego,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I think the doctor was checking the hand more than anything. Wilder grabbed it mid round.

As others said Wilder tactics left after 3 rounds, from there and as soon as he got the knock down there was no listening as his ego took over and he thought he had it in the bag.

In saying that for the second knock down the refs counting seemed weird, andre Ward picked up on it aswell ( i havent watched the fight back) but he counted to 5, then told wilder to get back in the corner ( for what seemed at least 2 seconds, maybe 3) he then went back to fury at 6.... I could be wrong but I picked up on it before ward even said it.

Hat tip to Sugarhill he really has given Fury a killer instinct he didnt really have, Fury was jabbing Wilder all night and could have seen out the fight but Sugarhill ( possibly still weiry of the big right) told Tyson to get him out of there which he obliged.

For me that is Fury done till end of summer, both men need a log break, through the Joshua on/off again crap to this fight getting cancelled Tyson in his words has only been home 2 weeks in 6 months.

He will get through Dillion and hopefully Usyk then that will be him done.

Talk of the ref is nonsense, on the second knock down the ref counts right in Fury face and see although he is down he is ok & then turs to Wilder to tell him about the corner,

The ref was experienced & knew Fury was getting up ,

In a world title fight the 10 count isn't about a ref trying to count you out its about the ref giving you time to see if you can get up , He clearly seen Fury was going to get up , The last thing anyone needed was for a quick 10 count on either fighter & people claiming its rigged and a 4th rematch,

If anything Wilder made sure both of them would get a proper chance to fight because he started the narrative of don't throw in the towel or count us out till one of us is laid out proper

The ref gave Wilder the same leeway in later rounds when he could have easy step in and waved it off ,

I love Fury. He is just so unfazed by everything. He looks like he enjoys the whole show and fighting in general. You can see the pressure and the nerves etc in the likes of AJ and Wilder. They are fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The shot in the 4th is something to see. It went all the way through Fury’s body. Like a bolt a lightning. Fury’s frame and overall size definitely help his overall body absorb the energy..

And didn’t give a fook when he got up. Right back in swinging!!!

• Advertisement

I'v never seen anyone take such huge shots & once they get back on there feet its like the punch never happened, Just so calm fighting really is in his blood,

One thing he needs to be careful because no human can keep taking shots like that, he needs good rest & make sure he isn't getting caught flush in his next fight, Only so many times you can take them without your chin & resolve disappearing ,

I'd love to see Wilder v AJ but i don't think AJ would ever take that fight,

Interesting. People may be forgetting the toll these fights take on Fury as well. I don’t think Fury forgets. He’s shrewd. And knows the damage there.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wilder was beaten before he entered the ring.

He was still dangerous, but itnwas as clear as day on his face entering the ring he was done

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I was away sat night so couldnt watch live, have watched it back twice now with the UK comms and the US.

First off it was a great fight and i thoroughly enjoyed it. The long lay off for Fury was evident, the reality is he should have ended it in the fourth, wilder was badly hurt in the 3rd, but he got careless and got caught and thats why it lasted as long as it did. Wilder was gone from the 7th, but he has heart i will give him that.

For me Fury is the clear no 1, and should be beat Usyk and Joshua if either fight gets made. Joshua wont like the rough housing and cant really take a shot and Usyk will be over matched in size (allayed to the fact Fury can box as well and last 12 rounds makes it a bad match up for him).

Not sure where wilder goes, i think he could beat Joshua (if he gets to him first) and could maybe even beat Usyk (the same way he can maybe beat anyone if he connects) but he seems to have a real issue with the losses so maybe he never comes back.

I think 2 or 3 more fights for Tyson and he can hang them up, Whyte next and then the winner of the Usyk Joshua rematch to unify and then retire or rematch.

All this stuff of him and lewis is a bit of a distraction, in his own era he is the best imo, thats all he can prove and he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,122 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

AJ isnt done in my opinion, yes they made a bad choice trying to outbox usyk but someone in the the camp must have thought they could succeed.

Rob mcracken was missing with the olympics for most of the camp, maybe the camp needs a shuffle or total change but i wouldnt be surprised if aj came back to claim the win in a rematch using rough fighting tactics.

btw i am not a fan boy, i cant stand the bloke

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I think AJ needs fresh voices in his corner, he also needs to regain some confidence, but there is a very good heavyweight there for sure.

People are rightly saying the best way for AJ to beat Usyk is to be more aggressive but doesn't AJ have the gas thank & probably more of the problem does he have the balls to get hit himself to land big shots I don't think he has

People say Ruiz changed him but maybe it was Wlad who started it & Ruiz just rubber stamped it , He just doesn't take shots well anymore at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Some fighters confidence or lack of is a big thing.

Price was doing real well until the Thompson fight and since then he's struggled to do anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

The world titles (WBA, WBO, WBC and IBF) will soon be splintered again. No doubt each of the sanctioning bodies will be hounding Usyk in particular to fulfill his mandatories after he beats Joshua again, and this is a hard thing to do when you are not a huge name (he is a big name but not big enough, see what happened Fury after the Wlad win, IBF stripped him pretty much immediately for not fulfilling his mandatory, even though Wlad had a rematch clause). Its a joke really, there will never be an undisputed HW champ on paper holding every title, Usyk beating Joshua has put paid to that.

Sanctioning bodies are very selective about whom they give an easy ride to. Some fighters holding their titles will be allowed avoid mandatories, but others are given no option but to defend and vacate. Rematches don't even come into equation (i.e let me fulfill my rematch and i'll see to mandatory defence after, this isn't even enough).

Dillian Whyte must be WBC number 1 contender for the last 3 or 4 years no? I'm sure the Povetkin loss knocked him down.

As it stands Usyk holding WBA, WBO and IBF titles has the following guys in mandatory positions:

WBA: Regular champ is Trevor Bryan

IBF: Charles Martin

WBO: Joe Joyce

The WBA are probably going to insist on Usyk fighting Bryan, no US HW champ now so they will want a title back in the states and maybe doesn't have the clout Joshua and Eddie Hearn had, in terms of getting guys to step aside. Usyk will have to pay the likes of Bryan to wait his turn and may simply vacate instead.

Fury as WBC title holder has:

WBC: Dillian Whyte

Likewise, Fury may have no interest in fighting Whyte just in order to hold onto his WBC title, he may vacate, claim he is the man, his ring magazine belt is enough for him, take a warm up fight and wait for Usyk or Joshua as the big money fight in UK. WBC have already ruled that Fury has to fight either Usyk or winner of Whyte V Wallin next. So, as AJ has his rematch, this will have to be Whyte or Wallin.

Chance of ever getting the one guy holding every belt is very slim IMO.

Watching boxing can be sad at times when former boxers turned pundits have clear after-effects from the sport. Fury has gotten this far, I don't think he has any interest in barely finishing sentences by the age of 50.

It's crazy to think Fury is only 33. If he wants to he could fight for another 5 years or til he's 40 and create a massive legacy for himself in the sport. Whether that's what he wants or if it's the right thing for him personally is another thing altogether.

I think if Usyk beats AJ & Fury beats Whyte we will see an undisputed fight ,

I reckon Fury wins and walks away ,

Will Fury even bother wit a Dillian Whyte fight though? His record in terms of defending the titles isn't hectic.

More likely he'd vacate and sit and wait for outcome of Usyk-Joshua which means he could be out of ring for over a year. Common sense thing to do would be a defence against Whyte, that tune up would provide preparation for a undisputed fight against Usyk or AJ (it will be Usyk).

If it was a likely wait for Fury v AJ, I could imagine the belts being in situ for it, but Usyk won't have the clout to hold onto them all, once he beats Joshua he will have every sanctioning body (WBO, WBA and IBF) breathing down his neck to fulfill his mandatories. Its not the case with AJ, because Hearn managed it very well (even though Usyk himself was a mandatory, but this was only fulfilled because Fury fight fell through). Don't forget, these sanctioning bodies don't work together.

The fact Usyk will prob win again and doesn't have a huge promoter fighting his corner means his belts will be ripe for the picking. Obviously belts mean feck all, but the OCD streak in me wants to see it call cleaned up and one guy holding them all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ah right maybe so. I must take another look but it seemed to me he was checking on his cognition.

Well in R4 he threw jabs to middle before the KD. I think he half abandoned and half couldnt stick to it with tiredness, and Fury being good.

Yea I vagely remember that too. Fury did look very tired and as the seconds tipped away he may have got off the hook on that one. Didn’t look beaten at any time though.

Fury didn’t really oblige. He lost his own game plan and it took him until 11 to get Wilder beaten. Sugarhill was screaming at him to jab as he knew that would set up a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

This Whyte talk is going to look very premature in 3 weeks time when Wallin beats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I'd have to agree with that, went on at least a couple of rounds too long for me.

• Advertisement

On the fight being stopped a little earlier: Very difficult to call. As Wilder, although tired, was still engaging and landing

Plus, he dropped Fury heavy. He still had the chance to get a KO. It's not an exact science of knowing.

I wouldn't fault the referee too much, as he was up close and personal, and I'd trust his judgment

More for the corner to pull it, but as we know, Wilder and team were likely very insistent on allowing him the possible hail mary.

Like I said, a lot of inaccuracy and missing shots in the fight. Even when Wilder was tired and groggy, many shots were missing and glancing etc. The referee must have been factoring this in. It wasn't all one way traffic in the sense of a large percentage of Fury shots landing clean...

If Fury vacates why would he get the AJ v Usyk winner ? He wouldn't have the WBC belt or be a mandatory ,

Whyte would want be getting the shot because the winner of Aj v Usyk would want the WBC title & see Whyte are the easier fight for the bigger prize,

Fury will fight Whyte (if he beats Wallin)

Bit of Triva but Fury v Whyte might be the first heavy weight title fight in history where both have a recent Irish connection

Fury's Da JOhn & Ma Amber are Irish & Whyte's grand father is Irish

It will surely come down to money. Fury v AJ/Usyk is worth alot more money.

Not sure Dillian Whyte v Usyk for all the marbles is a money spinner.

All this is mute, as Whyte has to navigate his way past Wallin first. Which seems like a strange matchup given Wallin is not even a top 15 guy with WBC, so its obviously a voluntary defence of Whytes interim WBC title.

Point i'm making is I don't see Fury bending to any pressure that he has to fight Wallin/Whyte. I'd say he is the type of lad who would bin his belt rather than take a fight against one of those guys, he is pretty much the lineal world champion so a fight against Usyk/AJ wouldn't be far from his grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,880 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well if that fight gets stopped in seven in Europe it gets stopped earlier, in four, when Fury was all over the place.

Point is he was being seriously damaged, should have been stopped earlier.

dont be silly Fury was always getting up and fully aware of his surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 37,880 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fury looked out if it both times.

I'm not saying the fight should have been stopped, I'm saying that if a guy believes it should have been stopped in 7 then the same applies in round 4.

Disagree he looked out of it, he was certainly in better shape than wilder was in rounds 7-11,

although i agree it went on too long i would also have difficulty in pointing out when exactly it should have been stopped.

• Advertisement

Fury got up and was sound on his feet, you must have been watching a different fight.

Advertisement