Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

I registered yesterday evening having read this thread. Was gonna leave it until August to see how my training was going. Just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking for an entry for DCM 2017 if anyone has any going......

Sorry..joke....not serious.....

Trade one for an Ed Sheeran ticket......

Booked in a rush of blood on 1st Jan. Now laid up since Manchester Marathon in April with plantar fasciitis......

Maybe settle for a hurling final ticket now that Kilkenny are not in it:P:P

Only joking about the tickets, not the pf unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Elite entry likely the only route in,

unless you go via a tour operator from abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

ger664 wrote: »
    On a side note how big can they safely make this ?
    I was wondering the same myself, theoretically they could stage more starts, but that'd lead to later finishers and roads being closed longer into the day (realistically it's more than one day a year for residents of affected area's as other events lead to road closures too).
    More marshals would be required too, not to mention the additional space around Merrion Square and Fitzwilliam Street / Baggot Street.
    It'd be great if they could fit more people on but I imagine it's harder than it sounds.

Glad now I booked early despite being worried about being able to get all the training in (double jobbing & college make it tricky to fit loads of training in)

• Advertisement

On Facebook as sold out. Had been well notified that it would sell out so no one should have any complaints.

On a side note how big can they safely make this ?

Probably going to lose 3000 entrants anyway from the 20k so 17/18k is as big as current route manages?

Last year 16762 finishers of a 19500 entry

Havent done it in a number of years I think there were 10k back then or so, would imagine its pretty crowded in midpack as there are still not many sub 3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's terrific that Dublin Marathon is a sell out event, year after year. ;) There is capacity to develop a bigger field by increasing the commitment to closing roads, but that requires a degree of political will and a bit of political clout. Sell-out numbers deliver that clout, and hopefully the event will get even bigger. It just goes to show that you don't need an easy course to attract the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

youngrun wrote: »
    Havent done it in a number of years I think there were 10k back then or so, would imagine its pretty crowded in midpack as there are still not many sub 3

There's always a huge bump in the number of finishers around four hours. Even with more waves, proof of times required for faster waves, etc etc to spread people out, that four hour pace group would be like a pig being swallowed by a snake

As it's chip timed you could theoretically have two four hour groups to reduce the bottle necks; say if group A started at 9:20 and group B started at 9:30 or 9:35. The problem would be trying to actually implement something like that on the morning as the vast majority of peopl will want to be in the first group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gillo wrote: »
    As it's chip timed you could theoretically have two four hour groups to reduce the bottle necks; say if group A started at 9:20 and group B started at 9:30 or 9:35. The problem would be trying to actually implement something like that on the morning as the vast majority of peopl will want to be in the first group.

Unintentionally piloted that approach with 1:40 groups in the half last year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

youngrun wrote: »
    Probably going to lose 3000 entrants anyway from the 20k so 17/18k is as big as current route manages?

Last year 16762 finishers of a 19500 entry

My thinking is that the powers that be think that they can handle 20,000 runners. I am assuming they have to plan for everyone turning up thats has entered. Realistically 18,000 is probably what will toe the line. If they are not taking drops into consideration then they could increase the entry to 22,500 as it stands.

My thinking is that the powers that be think that they can handle 20,000 runners. I am assuming they have to plan for everyone turning up thats has entered. Realistically 18,000 is probably what will toe the line. If they are not taking drops into consideration then they could increase the entry to 22,500 as it stands.

I think there should be a transfer market/window for race entries, going to be thousands unused , and both race organisers and possible entrants can benefit financially and running wise respectively

Im sure online systems can handle this, have used a transfer in a couple of events myself. also safer than having bandits taking on the route etc

More of an argument for it now, alright, with entries closing so much earlier.

at the same time, most big city marathons (London, new york, Paris, Berlin) don't allow transfers. A certain drop-out rate is expected.

Frankfurt allows transfers, for 10 euro
    Marine Corps marathon allows transfers, for $50
    Edinburgh charges £15

None of them give the original entrant their money back.

If DCM introduced a 20 euro transfer fee, how many people would even bother paying it? People swap numbers now, when it is against the rules, wouldn't they just keep swapping directly without paying the fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Gillo wrote:

Berlin has done this. Started pace groups in different time zones. Last year for example 2 3.45 pacers in zone E and 2 in zone F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Berlin has done this. Started pace groups in different time zones. Last year for example 2 3.45 pacers in zone E and 2 in zone F.

Yes but pacers will get the grief from runners who started in the second group catching up with the first group and them complain that they went to fast when they blow in the second half.

ger664 wrote:
    Yes but pacers will get the grief from runners who started in the second group catching up with the first group and them complain that they went to fast when they blow in the second half.

Up to the organisation to explain this. Berlin didn't do it or the participants missed the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I wouldn't copy Berlin, pacers are fairly poor quality over there compared to Dublin.
    Better to have 3 or 4 pacers together as if one has a problem you are not left with one on their own in such a big Marathon.

RayCun wrote: »

at the same time, most big city marathons (London, new york, Paris, Berlin) don't allow transfers. A certain drop-out rate is expected.

Edinburgh charges £15

If DCM introduced a 20 euro transfer fee, how many people would even bother paying it? People swap numbers now, when it is against the rules, wouldn't they just keep swapping directly without paying the fee?

I d say a good few would. Have organised a few races and it is always a common question/request .People wouldnt mind paying if they want to run badly enough. Give a window that doesnt cause admin hassle .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Edinburgh charges £15

I don't know if they still do it, but in 2015 Rotterdam allowed you to pay €5 extra when entering, which would allow a refund of the entry fee up to one month before the race in the event you needed to cancel for any reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Edinburgh charges £15

I think you'd get a lot of people paying the fee so they can have their result in their own name.

• Advertisement

Surely though with the organisers expecting a certain number to pull out they over sell places to factor this in. It's done for London as I remember them saying it somewhere on the website. If they are currently factoring in about 2000 not starting (last year about 18,000 started from what I remember), then if they allow transfers they'd have to reduce the number of tickets sold in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

At least with London you can defer to the following year.

ooter wrote: »
    At least with London you can defer to the following year.

you have to pay again the next year though!

you have to pay again the next year though!
    But you keep your place, that said it's a different ball game trying to get into London.

Paying for London twice is cheaper than paying for Dublin once. :)

ooter wrote:
    Paying for London twice is cheaper than paying for Dublin once.

Overseas entry to London if successful is 80 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Overseas entry to London if successful is 80 pounds.

Good for age entry, for UK residents only of course !!!!! is £39

Good for age entry, for UK residents only of course !!!!! is £39

Yeah that's what I paid last year, outstanding value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is there anywhere near the finish-line where one might get a shower?. Also suggestions for food if travelling the day before ?. It could be harder to eat properly when 'moving'... I know it's still 3 months away, but a little bit excited :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is there anywhere near the finish-line where one might get a shower?. Also suggestions for food if travelling the day before ?. It could be harder to eat properly when 'moving'... I know it's still 3 months away, but a little bit excited :)

For the night before? Where are you staying?

Advertisement