Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

In all the fuss about Thomas Turgoose in that scene with Arya, we missed an interesting cameo from somebody else who should also be famous. ;)

Yep, Billy Postlethwaite, son of the late great Pete Postlethwaite.

MV5BODAyMDUwODQ3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY5OTg0MDI@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

brilou23 wrote: »
    I would say euron will get one of the sand snakes for cersi to avenge her daughter's death. To obvious to be the imp.
    This seems like a good bet. Or maybe Olenna Tyrell.

Euron is basically a savage and so are the southerners, where the Tyrells are more about brains than brawn. So Euron landing at Highgarden will be a crazy clash of tactics, whereas landing in Dorne will be just an epic battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Something that popped into my head last night, not related to this episode so I hope it's OK to ask here.

Gendry is still floating around in his boat.
    Is there any chance of a re-appearance or was he just poorly written out of the show? If so, what was the point in him even being in it?

I wouldn't care really if he makes a re-appearance. His scenes with Arya and the baker boy were good, but after that I lost interest in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In all the fuss about Thomas Turgoose in that scene with Arya, we missed an interesting cameo from somebody else who should also be famous. ;)

MV5BODAyMDUwODQ3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY5OTg0MDI@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I was trying to enjoy that scene but every time I saw Billy Postlethwaite's face it completely broke my immersion. It was so maddening!!!

I was trying to enjoy that scene but every time I saw Billy Postlethwaite's face it completely broke my immersion. It was so maddening!!!
    Yeah, he was nagging at me like a sore tooth. Couldn't work out why he seemed so familiar. Kept replaying that scene to get another look at him, but eventually had to fall back on IMdb to get his name.

It so takes you out of the scene. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Gendry is still floating around in his boat.
    Is there any chance of a re-appearance or was he just poorly written out of the show? If so, what was the point in him even being in it?
    When the soldier with Arya said he thought about his dad all alone on his boat I did think "Gendry?!" :p

The only meaningful way I can see him returning is if, at the end of the whole thing, the White Walkers are defeated and anyone with a claim to the throne is dead, and he strolls in to claim his place as an everyman-King who knows what it's like to be among the smallfolk, leads Westeros into the longest and post prosperous Summer it has ever known, and lives happily ever after. The End. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Vojera wrote: »
    When the soldier with Arya said he thought about his dad all alone on his boat I did think "Gendry?!" :p

The only meaningful way I can see him returning is if, at the end of the whole thing, the White Walkers are defeated and anyone with a claim to the throne is dead, and he strolls in to claim his place as an everyman-King who knows what it's like to be among the smallfolk, leads Westeros into the longest and post prosperous Summer it has ever known, and lives happily ever after. The End. :pac:

Mark my words, end of one of the episodes, around the 3-4 mark, we'll have the camera in King's landing, at the end of an episode, pan onto a Blacksmith with a great big beard, who'll be revealed to be Gendry. Like that a million memes will die.

I found some of the modern lingo a bit distracting in this episode.

"Are you old enough to drink?"
    "No, but I have fake ID"

Also the Lannisters currently couldn't win against the Tyrells (who didn't lose much in the war and control food supply), let alone the Martell-Tyrell-Targarean alliance. Even with an armada they still lack enough land forces to win a war.

Also also, Jamie's totally right. Cersei goes from predicting a reich lasting a 1000 years to one lasting as long as the 3rd reich in the time it takes to say "all our children are dead, and you're too old to bear any more"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Typical Irish person's obsession with the immersion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The zoom on the giants eye in this episode was not to suggest it was Wun Wun but to show you that Bran had warged into the giant to keep tabs on the Night King - the very next scene is a cut to Bran emerging from the warg

I didn't take it as him warging at all. He gets all white eyed whenever he uses a weirwood tree to view the past/other places as well.

I presumed he was 'viewing' another part of Westeros as the 3 eyed raven.

Don't the white walkers control the wights? If he warged into a wight wouldn't that alert the white walkers to where he was the same way they tracked him back to the cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I had a big thing concerning Euron and his gift spoiled for me over the winter (my interpretation of it anyway from that first episode) I won't spoil it for anybody else obviously and have to say I am still fascinated to see how he is going to manage to pull it off!

Thought the episode was a good return, lot to cover and they made a decent job of it. They have been off the air a long time to a little catch up was going to be needed and I am happy enough to have the vast majority of it out of the way to be able to just enjoy where the story is going to go for the next 6.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I had a big thing concerning Euron and his gift spoiled for me over the winter (my interpretation of it anyway from that first episode) I won't spoil it for anybody else obviously and have to say I am still fascinated to see how he is going to manage to pull it off!

Do you reckon his gift is
    Gendry
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Where did Euron get all his ships from??????? thats the big puzzle for me!!

At the end of the last series Theon and Yara took the Iron fleet and sailed towards a different continent, I know Euron made a speech ''rip down every tree I want a thousand ships'' or something like that but that requires a lot of fecking wood,rope and materials, timeframe wise how did he source the material and build all them ships, surely years passed by??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I watched the season 6 finale last year but had completely forgotten that Arya had killed Walder Frey (I know, facepalm). The last I remember of her was telling the guy from the temple of black and white that she was Arya Stark of Winterfell etc. So that reveal at the start of this episode after she killed his soldiers where she unveiled her face underneath was a very cool surprise. The benefits of short-term memory I suppose. :pac:

I'd forgotten that too, despite remembering what Arya had done to his sons.
    I still got the sense he was about to poison everyone, but I thought he was so bitter and spiteful he'd rather slaughter his own people than have them help fight the white walkers.
    damienirel wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran - he needs to be killed later on or something, to put things right.:D
    In the show, right? You do mean in the show?
    Syphonax wrote: »
    I pretty sure in one of the earlier seasons Melisandre turns into some hideous creature and you see the transformation, thats what I would have expected here, maybe not hideous of like soeme horror transformation but something more cooler than her just pulling off a 'rubber mask!
    I don't think we did? She took off her necklace, and then we saw a shot of of her at her true age. But I don't think we saw a transformation?
    VonLuck wrote: »
    For those of you say "get over Ed Sheeran", "he's just another actor and only said a couple of words". The point is that he is a singer and he is known for being himself. Actors play characters, but when you see Ed Sheeran you just see Ed Sheeran.

If it was some sports stars first appearance in a TV show or movie I'd have the same reaction! Really takes you out of the scene.
    Exactly. The whole Sheeran scene just felt off for me. If people weren't bothered by it, great, but just accept the fact that other people were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Why are there spoiler tags used in this thread? Why would you read this thread if you haven't seen the episode, or preceding episodes?

fatknacker wrote: »
    Why are there spoiler tags used in this thread? Why would you read this thread if you haven't seen the episode, or preceding episodes?
    Very good point. Was scratching my head about that one too, especially since nothing under those tags is from outside the series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

fatknacker wrote:

Speculation regarding what's coming up in the next episode from people who have viewed the trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

seligehgit wrote:
    Anybody care to speculate what the priceless gift that Euron speaks of?Tyrion's head?

I said exactly the same thing??????? Please nooooo! !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I could watch The Hound all day. He was on fire (no pun intended) in this episode with his witty one-liners.

Did you ever watch his audition. I watched it loads of times. He's sooo good!

fatknacker wrote: »
    Very good point. Was scratching my head about that one too, especially since nothing under those tags is from outside the series so far.

It's explained in the OP?

MOH wrote: »
    It's explained in the OP?
    We were specifically referring to spoiler tags that covered information that was already seen in the series.

Not extra lore from DVDs or other extraneous material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

....... wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Genuine question : has anyone been able to read her lips? I don't think it looks like she said "Jon". Also, Jon is an odd name for her to choose, Jon Arynn was Ned's mentor, not hers, it seems more like a name Ned would choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

....... wrote: »
    I only got around to getting through the first two books, to be honest the greyscale questions just kind of prove some people can't be saved. :D

We were specifically referring to spoiler tags that covered information that was already seen in the series.

Not extra lore from DVDs or other extraneous material.

Fair enough. I'm avoiding the spoilers since without knowing what's in them I obviously don't know what the source is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I fear you'll be disappointed.

After the last episode of the last season, HBO put out a diagram of the relationships, that basically confirms it.

http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-relationships-inforgraphic/

Now, it will still be exciting to see what happens when they reveal it, but I think you're grasping at straws if you think there's a chance it will be revealed as anyone but Rhaegar. :)

The above statement seems to suggest that you don't actually believe it's Rhaegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

I keep hearing-did you do it son in a northern accent now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I thought the Ed Sheeran thing was completely harmless.

Would have found it funny if he'd been killed for being annoying. A scene with The Hound would have been ideal for that.

Advertisement