Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Syphonax wrote:
    if there was more a transformation when she is changing faces it would have been beter, u never she her putting the masks on, it unbelievable that she looks IDENTICAL to Frey this despite wearing a 'rubber mask'

Simply putting a face on won't make you look like the person. People who have face transplants look nothing like their donors due to different bone structures. There must be something mystical about it. J'qhan seemed to use a glamor, i wonder if that's different from taking a face the way Arya and the waif did, which seems more physical but must be mystical.

My understanding of it is that they're never actually removing a mask. Instead they make the person believe that they are whoever they say they are through mystical means.

Then again, this is a show with dragons, giants, zombies, so I'm probably thinking about it far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Syphonax wrote: »
    if there was more a transformation when she is changing faces it would have been beter, u never she her putting the masks on, it unbelievable that she looks IDENTICAL to Frey this despite wearing a 'rubber mask'
    You see Jaqen H'ghar changing instantly in front of Arya in season three (I think). He turns his back as the Jaqen we know and turns back completely different. It's not a rubber mask either. It's the actual face of the person.

Arya learned all this in her 'apprenticeship' in Braavos.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

rawn wrote: »
    Simply putting a face on won't make you look like the person. People who have face transplants look nothing like their donors due to different bone structures. There must be something mystical about it. J'qhan seemed to use a glamor, i wonder if that's different from taking a face the way Arya and the waif did, which seems more physical but must be mystical.

Maybe it is Jim Carey MASK?!
    My understanding of it is that they're never actually removing a mask. Instead they make the person believe that they are whoever they say they are through mystical means.

Then again, this is a show with dragons, giants, zombies, so I'm probably thinking about it far too much.

She CLEARLY removes the mask twice, like its just a rubber......mask.
    You see Jaqen H'ghar changing instantly in front of Arya in season three (I think). He turns his back as the Jaqen we know and turns back completely different. It's not a rubber mask either. It's the actual face of the person.

Arya learned all this in her 'apprenticeship' in Braavos.

How can this be though when she just simply whips it off her after cuting Freys throat, its like "surprise, ima Stark, stupid mask fooled ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Can't believe the questioning of the faceless man technique, we had lots of screen time showing her learn the trade. Its magic ffs, they are highly paid assassins who get in and out without been seen.

• Advertisement

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Can't believe the questioning of the faceless man technique, we had lots of screen time showing her learn the trade. Its magic ffs, they are highly paid assassins who get in and out without been seen.

Its more of how she "transforms" that I have a problem with, they went cheap on the CGI here, are we really supposed to believe that she can look IDENTICAL to whom ever she wants, Walter Frey, with a simple ordinary mask? pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Ed Sheeran - he needs to be killed later on or something, to put things right.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its more of how she "transforms" that I have a problem with, they went cheap on the CGI here, are we really supposed to believe that she can look IDENTICAL to whom ever she wants, Walter Frey, with a simple ordinary mask? pfft

You keep calling it a rubber mask. Rubber? Were you not paying attention to the, i don't know, massive hall of faces of dead people and how they got there?

It's not rubber, it's his actual face. The rest is just illusion and magic, no different from the magic wall or magic dragons or magic three-eyed raven.

Kirby wrote: »
    You keep calling it a rubber mask. Rubber? Were you not paying attention to the, i don't know, massive hall of faces of dead people and how they got there?

It's not rubber, it's his actual face. The rest is just illusion and magic, no different from the magic wall or magic dragons or magic three-eyed raven.

Well said - I can't believe the rubbish up on this thread trying to poke holes in that.
    Now Ed Sheeran - disguised as Ed Sheeran and singing like Ed Sheeran - that was b0ll0cks.

I think the beef is more with production quality of GOT how they visualize the transformation back to real character. For me you need to relax and enjoy the theater of it rather than question so hard.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »

Im still unimpressed, its clearly a mask, rubber or not, where did she get it, some magic face generation kit she carries around?

damienirel wrote: »
    Well said - I can't believe the rubbish up on this thread trying to poke holes in that.
    Now Ed Sheeran - disguised as Ed Sheeran and singing like Ed Sheeran - that was b0ll0cks.

STFU about Ed

Maybe it is Jim Carey MASK?!

She CLEARLY removes the mask twice, like its just a rubber......mask.

How can this be though when she just simply whips it off her after cuting Freys throat, its like "surprise, ima Stark, stupid mask fooled ya"
    Not sure how you're getting a sequence here. She killed Walder Frey a fortnight before that scene. She clearly says it (as Walder) that it's the second feast in a fortnight. The first being when Jaime Lannister and Bronn were there and she was acting as a serving girl. After which she kills Walder.

Im still unimpressed

Good! Stay that way.

Im still unimpressed, its clearly a mask, rubber or not, where did she get it, some magic face generation kit she carries around?
    Would you stop with the rubber masks. Have you not beeen watching the previous episodes? Season 5 shows them removing the faces from the dead.

I think the beef is more with production quality of GOT how they visualize the transformation back to real character. For me you need to relax and enjoy the theater of it rather than question so hard.

Yes, finally someone understands my predicament. Its like watching Gladiator and thinking to myself...ehhh wait that never actually happened...aw fuk it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think the beef is more with production quality of GOT how they visualize the transformation back to real character.

I don't really have a problem with it, but yep this is the issue.

I always assumed there was an element of magic involved and some suspension of disbelief given but I don't think it was ever really expressed when she was 'training'? They just cut the faces off and stick them on

Would you stop with the rubber masks. Have you not beeen watching the previous episodes? Season 5 shows them removing the faces from the dead.

Ive seen most, I did a huge binge and might have missed a few, I did actuall fall asleep when the red wedding was on and had to go back as I know something was afoot!

I might have interpreted your discomfort with it however if this is your complaint jaysus were you as easily annoyed back in earlier series when other **** was going down. I hope you never intend on watching lost.

Ive seen most, I did a huge binge and might have missed a few, I did actuall fall asleep when the red wedding was on and had to go back as I know something was afoot!

That says it all really - your opinion doesn't count at all!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not sure how you're getting a sequence here. She killed Walder Frey a fortnight before that scene. She clearly says it (as Walder) that it's the second feast in a fortnight. The first being when Jaime Lannister and Bronn were there and she was acting as a serving girl. After which she kills Walder.

I was talking about the fake girl mask she has on when she kills Frey, one of Freys girls not Frey

That says it all really - your opinion doesn't count at all!:rolleyes:

It was a marathon of about 10 straight GOT hours so I dont care what you think

It was a marathon of about 10 straight GOT hours so I dont care what you think

You should have let your little brain cool down between episodes.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Can we get over the Ed Sheeran thing please?!!

I watched the episode and went 'Oh look, there's Ed Sheeran' and passed no more remarks on him. It seems I've been living my life wrong.

I should be frothing at the mouth that they allowed someone with ginger hair onto the programme. A cameo?!?! A shameo more like!!!! It's making me so mad that my blood pressure keeps rising so high that I keep fainting. The doctors said I'll have a stroke if I keep on acting like this and it is entirely the fault of Game of Thrones. I was enjoying the show so much but now it's been ruined by having that… thing sing a couple of lines of a song and say a a couple of words of dialogue. It's like all the colour has been drained from my existence… all colours except ginger!!! A pox on the producers of this show!!!

You should have let your little brain cool down between episodes.:D

My brain just gave up for sleep at about the seventh episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I'm confused as to how the giant came to be in the army of the dead.

Is he the same one that fought for Jon Snow at the battle of Winterfell?
    If so, surely his body would have been burnt?

I should be frothing at the mouth that they allowed someone with ginger hair onto the programme. A cameo?!?! A shameo more like!!!! It's making me so mad that my blood pressure keeps rising so high that I keep fainting. The doctors said I'll have a stroke if I keep on acting like this and it is entirely the fault of Game of Thrones. I was enjoying the show so much but now it's been ruined by having that… thing sing a couple of lines of a song and say a a couple of words of dialogue. It's like all the colour has been drained from my existence… all colours except ginger!!! A pox on the producers of this show!!!

Spot on! :D

I was talking about the fake girl mask she has on when she kills Frey, one of Freys girls not Frey
    And as I said, that was a fortnight earlier. Not one minute a serving girl and the next Walder Frey.

Being a faceless man (woman) is not just about masks. All the beating into her that she was 'no-one' has a point. To be a faceless man, is to be like a blank slate and take on all the characteristics of the person you're becoming.

It's not something you can get across very easily on television, it requires a bit of attention to what the likes of Jaqen say and the lessons that Arya learns in Braavos.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I'm confused as to how the giant came to be in the army of the dead.

Is he the same one that fought for Jon Snow at the battle of Winterfell?
    If so, surely his body would have been burnt?

Why? Thought yer man Bolton shot him in the eye with an arrow and he dropped - hence the zoom into his eye in this ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Why? Thought yer man Bolton shot him in the eye with an arrow and he dropped - hence the zoom into his eye in this ep.

Why what?

If he had died at Winterfell, Jon Snow would have burned the body as he does with everyone that dies.

So how is he now marching for the dead?

Advertisement