Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Haha, I must be the only one who completely missed the ed sheeran cameo, I don't considering him a celebrity and said to myself, that is a new actor but looks familiar as I wouldn't know much about Ed Sheeran so I didn't notice it due to not being familiar with this z list celeb.

Conor McGregor I would notice and he would be suited fine for a brief fighting cameo. Wasn't a great episode really and think this entire series will be a flop just leading up to the penultimate series. Has a touch of the walking dead basically boring and killing time to make extra money when it should be wrapped up this year in a ten or twelve episode season. I expect things o jus get good in the final ten minutes of the last episode to let us in suspense for another 12 months. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

rawn wrote: »
    I really don't see why everyone has their panties in a bunch over Ed Sherran, he's the same as any other extra! "It takes away from the scene" indeed... Same can be said of anyone else in the show. Oooh look it's Prof Slughorn from Harry Potter, now I'll never believe him as Maester Marwyn...!

He was much more prominent in the scene than any other cameo that they've had before, which were barely noticeable - they gave him a speaking part and had him singing a tune. It felt obviously forced to me, like the makers were almost deliberately winking at the audience. Before they would have put people in the background, here they put someone who is already badly overexposed smack bang right there so that you couldn't help but notice him, just because he's famous. It felt like half the purpose of the scene was to tell you a story and the other half was to go: LOOK! ED SHEERAN! And that's something they've never really done before - the whole thing felt a bit desperate and tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They don't even need those cameos either. Apparently the season opener did HBO's biggest rating ever. And it's not like Sheeran needs the exposure (by fúcking Christ he doesn't).

Someone knows someone and probably thought it'd be a laugh to have his ginger head be a big distraction in a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I love the hysteria that comes with a build-up episode. The series isn't completely lost lads, before this we had two episodes that are near-unanimously held up as two of the very best from the show. Think about it as if you're binge-watching rather than having to wait a year to see it: you actually need one episode to reset all of the characters and breathe for a second before everything else happens. That way you actually care and are ready when it does because you've processed everything they wanted you to.

Give them a bit of trust. People were freaking out about series 6 in the same way then they blew it out of the park with Winds Of Winter and it totally re-framed how we view the series now. It'll be grand, chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not really the same. I'm a big Sigur Ros fan but didn't recognise them. I can't say the same for the biggest singer/song-writer in the world. Personally I think it added nothing and slightly took away.

You're thinking about it too much imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Clegane is clearly based on Eeyore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

rawn wrote: »
    I really don't see why everyone has their panties in a bunch over Ed Sherran, he's the same as any other extra! "It takes away from the scene" indeed... Same can be said of anyone else in the show. Oooh look it's Prof Slughorn from Harry Potter, now I'll never believe him as Maester Marwyn...!

Yeah, I was more surprised by Seán from This Is England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I think euron will lose and die. It might make a dent in danys military but cersei is a gonner.
    I read an interview with Lena Headey recently and she was asked who she thought would be on the Iron Throne at the end of it all. Her reply was
    "Well I'm already on it, so I'm fucked"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is Arya going to get her pound of flesh when it comes to Queen Cersei?She has become very adept at making good on her list.Will somebody beat her to the punch?

Brilliant first scene with her,all that time under the tutelage of Jaqen H'ghar was time well spent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Doltanian wrote: »
    Haha, I must be the only one who completely missed the ed sheeran cameo, I don't considering him a celebrity and said to myself, that is a new actor but looks familiar as I wouldn't know much about Ed Sheeran so I didn't notice it due to not being familiar with this z list celeb.

I'm not a fan of his at all, but to describe one of the biggest singers around as a z-list celeb is complete and utter nonsense. It's the fact that he's such a big star and was given a much more prominent role than previous cameos that makes his appearance in the show so jarring for people. It was completely unnecessary and added nothing to the story and it seemed to be something the producers did just because they could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

It's something and nothing, the scene was showing how the soldiers don't give a fúck about the war really, and that Arya is still seen a a harmless wench.

He delivered his lines, he sang a song.

People who are outraged by this really have little to be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The scenes at the citadel with Samwell were hilarious.Jim Broadbent was excellent like everything else he's been in.

Also I thought Euron Greyjoy's appearance was one of the highlights of the episode.He comes across as such a slimey arsehole.

Excellent opening episdoe I thought and it looks like it's going to be a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its easy to forget a scene do yourselves a favour and forget Ed signing. What that scene showed was that even Lanister men have families at home and are just caught up in the great game, Aria conscience may grow more empathetic if she travels with these guys.

The montage was important to show that Sam was just another trainee and treated as such, also show the lack of care about the white walkers as the wall has always stood and also the Maesters are just there to document not bothered about tribes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

allym wrote: »
    That is an excellent point. Especially with John knowing what's happening I couldn't see him saying " ah yeah feck them out over the wall".

But it definitely looked like him so maybe it is a flash forward?

Edit: just realised that was probably a vision from Bran as that seen led directly into his.

They've made such a big point of burning the bodies of the dead previously to this so would be a major continuity error for it to be Wun Wun

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I actually really liked the scene Ed Sheeran cameo'd in. It continued the ongoing theme of the effect of the Game of Thrones on the common people: women are raped, children are let starve and young men die by sword, mace and axe in armies they don't want to be a part of...

Ed Sheeran is at the top of his game in a medium that's cool to deride (pop music), he's a fan of the show and asked could he be an extra (actually got Gary Lightbody to put him in touch with someone). He's got a massive profile and a decent voice so naturally was picked to be the singer in that scene. He got one, four word, line and all the real dialogue of the scene was done by the professional actors. Quit getting your panties in a twist in an attempt to look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Jesus, the amount of comments about Ed Sheeran are ridiculous. He was in the episode for 2 mins, sang a song. So what. Get over yourselves.

Great episode, nicely eased back into it.

The scene with Sam emptying the sh1t pots nearly made me spew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Anyone got a gif of the
    Mask off
    part from the opening scene?

Game of Thrones had many cameos already - with Sigur Ros being already mentioned, but all of these people fit into the world of GoT. Sheeran didn't. He sat there like an awkward, gawky, and slightly smug sore thumb. Giving him dialogue was annoying and the whole thing felt really forced. Remember the episode of Extras where Gervais' character was forced to have a celebrity cameo to bolster the show? That's what it felt like.

The scene should have been really touching and possibly important - Arya finding out that not everyone that supports her enemies are evil. The other people were decent actors. Yet throughout the whole scene all I could think was, "there's Sheeran's face, awkwardly to the side. There he is again".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I watched the season 6 finale last year but had completely forgotten that Arya had killed Walder Frey (I know, facepalm). The last I remember of her was telling the guy from the temple of black and white that she was Arya Stark of Winterfell etc. So that reveal at the start of this episode after she killed his soldiers where she unveiled her face underneath was a very cool surprise. The benefits of short-term memory I suppose. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I watched the season 6 finale last year but had completely forgotten that Arya had killed Walder Frey (I know, facepalm). The last I remember of her was telling the guy from the temple of black and white that she was Arya Stark of Winterfell etc. So that reveal at the start of this episode after she killed his soldiers came where she unveiled her face underneath was a very cool surprise. The benefits of short-term memory I suppose. :pac:

I was exactly the same. Still great tv whether you remembered or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

klose wrote: »
    Maybe he's hoping they can cure him and turn himself in to be experimented on with possible cures?

A cure for Ed Sheeran? that would be good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

I watched the season 6 finale last year but had completely forgotten that Arya had killed Walder Frey (I know, facepalm). The last I remember of her was telling the guy from the temple of black and white that she was Arya Stark of Winterfell etc. So that reveal at the start of this episode after she killed his soldiers where she unveiled her face underneath was a very cool surprise. The benefits of short-term memory I suppose. :pac:

I dont her 'Fake masks' at all. She is able to rip them off like they are mere Halloween masks yet the masks themselves are mirror images, take the one where she has of Walter Frey, she is even as tall as him apparently. ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wasn't too bothered by the Sheeran cameo - bit silly but meh

Was more bothered that Euron has turned into Vince Noir

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Syphonax wrote: »
    I dont her 'Fake masks' at all. She is able to rip them off like they are mere Halloween masks yet the masks themselves are mirror images, take the one where she has of Walter Frey, she is even as tall as him apparently. ridiculous
    The Faceless Men transformations aren't just a matter of putting on masks.

However, this isn't the book reader's thread, so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Syphonax wrote: »

You realise that this is a show that includes dragons and an army of the undead?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

He's a great little actor. Good to see him join. I didn't like the Ed Sheeran bit either. Was a splash of cold reality that took me out of the world momentarily. I like the guy....I didn't mind him in Brigid Jones as he played himself but imo not a good idea for this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was it just me or did he sound a bit stilted,it was almost as if he did feck all acting before.Sounded a bit amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I thought it was a great solid opening episode to the season.
    It definitely moved at a slighter faster pace than other episodes which was good to see and no filler.

I could watch The Hound all day.
    He was on fire (no pun intended) in this episode with his witty one-liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

The Faceless Men transformations aren't just a matter of putting on masks.

However, this isn't the book reader's thread, so I'll leave it at that.

if there was more a transformation when she is changing faces it would have been beter, u never she her putting the masks on, it unbelievable that she looks IDENTICAL to Frey this despite wearing a 'rubber mask'
    You realise that this is a show that includes dragons and an army of the undead?

I hadnt realized this after watching all six seasons! thank you for the informative information :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can we get over the Ed Sheeran thing please?!!

Advertisement