Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailgating and Undertaking on Motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

makon_mc wrote: »
    GreeBo wrote: »
    If you are sick of having to drive correctly then you shouldnt be on the road.
    You are just proving my earlier point that this whole argument is born of selfish, lazy drivers.

Other drivers getting a ticket has no bearing on you getting one btw.

I wish you many pleasant journeys with plenty lane hoggers driving on motorway’s overtaking lane with speed not greater than 70-80km per hour !

And in case you don’t know - some eeijits won’t move to left lane no matter what.
    A bit of education on how to use a motorway (and a hefty dose of enforcement) would help. But when (if ever) did you see the overhead gantrys used to remind people to keep left?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

Is breaking the speed limit "slow moving"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Is breaking the speed limit "slow moving"?

Seriously?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is what the RSA said and NOT what I said. Greebo and HF - Dumb and Dumber.

Assigning derogatory nick-names to those who disagree with you is against the forum charter and will not be tolerated here so I suggest you desist immediately.

Read the forum charter before posting again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Advertisement

You still haven't answered my question. Which rule?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

See post #1005.

See post #1005.

Henry
    Sean Kinvarra said:
    As you said the rules are identical in Ire and UK. So how could it be illegal in one and not in other?

It's not. It's equally illegal in both jurisdictions.

There are loads and loads of videos of this bad driving on you tube. Would you like to see a couple?

I can send you some where a hogger shows another motorist undertaking.
    The majority of those who post videos on dangerous drivers are as bad themselves. If you don't notice that then you are lowering your standard even further.
    Anyway are you going to answer my question. I agree with you when you say the laws are the same ( there are a few differences and I'm not going into them) What rule says its illegal to undertake in UK Highway Code? Videos prove nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sean I have quoted multiple posts of your own where you say yourself that you know it's illegal in Ireland.

Why are you persisting with this nonsense?

Sean I have quoted multiple posts of your own where you say yourself that you know it's illegal in Ireland.

Why are you persisting with this nonsense?
    This is what I said
    Sean Kinvarra said:

"I know quite well it's illegal in Ireland with the exception of slow moving traffic"

I have also said that any speed slower than a vehicle that is undertaking, is "slow moving". Normal speed is maximum speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Shít drivers are usually not really shít!?
    They are just thick egits :-)

Shít drivers are usually not really shít!?
    They are just thick egits :-)
    They are also people that make statements yet cannot back them up. They won't get away with it when the tester asked them in their driving test.
    Isn't that right Henry and GreeBo!

I have also said that any speed slower than a vehicle that is undertaking, is "slow moving". Normal speed is maximum speed.

Is it lies or memory loss Sean?
    Did you need us to call someone for you?
    the RSA who told me you can only undertake in slow moving traffic, which is stop start moving.

the RSA who told me you can only undertake in slow moving traffic, which is stop start moving.
    I've just forgot more than you'll ever know. I can't remember the link you sent that says it's illegal to undertake in UK. Any chance you can send it again?

I've just forgot more than you'll ever know. I can't remember the link you sent that says it's illegal to undertake in UK. Any chance you can send it again?

Double post there Sean...

Double post there Sean...

Well holy God, look what I've just come across in the motorway section.

Overtaking
    Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are. If you intend to move from a slower lane to a faster lane, adjust your speed first.

Well holy God, look what I've just come across in the motorway section.

Overtaking
    Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are. If you intend to move from a slower lane to a faster lane, adjust your speed first.

What's your point that needs a "well holy god" stop press type intro?

GM228 wrote: »
    What's your point that needs a "well holy god" stop press type intro?

I guess he has just realised how wrong he has been all along?:confused:
    unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are

The most ironic/telling bit of his post is that it seems this is his first time reading it...

With regards to the constant comparison between UK and Ireland, it's a non runner, different laws - despite what some think undertaking in itself in the UK is not illegal unlike here, it is nothing more than a best practice guide in the Highway Code, however to note is that failure to follow the HC can actually lead to criminal responsibility (for careless/dangerous driving).

• Advertisement

With regards to the constant comparison between UK and Ireland, it's a non runner, different laws - despite what some think undertaking in itself in the UK is not illegal unlike here, it is nothing more than a best practice guide in the Highway Code, however to note is that failure to follow the HC can actually lead to criminal responsibility (for careless/dangerous driving).
    Its not only undertaking but any failure to make any manoeuvre dangerously can lead to a prosecution.
    You never answered my question Is breaking the speed limit "slow moving traffic", but instead you said "surely" Is that a yes?

Its not only undertaking but any failure to make any manoeuvre dangerously can lead to a prosecution.
    You never answered my question Is breaking the speed limit "slow moving traffic", but instead you said "surely" Is that a yes?

"Surely"? Where is that reply from me? I asked was that a serious question because I don't think many could take that seriously to be honest and that was that, the above post has been my next since.

How on earth can breaking the speed limit be slow moving traffic?

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/the-wrongs-of-undertaking-does-being-branded-a-careless-driver-fit-the-crime/

You sure about that?

Yes, there is no offence of undertaking in and of itself in the UK, you can be done for careless driving though, which is what happened to the person in your link.

Whilst the Highway Code is not law, it can (unlike the ROTR here) be used against you to establish criminal liability for other offences, so even when what it says is not supported by law you can still have it used against you in support of a different offence.

Yes, there is no offence of undertaking in and of itself in the UK, you can be done for careless driving though, which is what happened to the person in your link.

Whilst the Highway Code is not law, it can (unlike the ROTR here) be used against you to establish criminal liability for other offences, so even when what it says is not supported by law you can still have it used against you in support of a different offence.

Fair enough.

The point is though that the Police can and do prosecute "undertakers". The only reason the UK was mentioned at all was that they had used the word "congested" in relation to traffic conditions in this context.

p.s. http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/answers/can-you-overtake-on-the-nearside-of-another-vehicle - read the comments :D

Fair enough.

The point is though that the Police can and do prosecute "undertakers". The only reason the UK was mentioned at all was that they had used the word "congested" in relation to traffic conditions in this context.

p.s. http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/answers/can-you-overtake-on-the-nearside-of-another-vehicle - read the comments :D
    The police could and may prosecute "undertakers" if it is carried out dangerously or carelessly, ie weaving around traffic and changing lanes. What it says about simply passing on inside in non conjested traffic is advisory and not law.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

O Henry! Hendry! Henry! Neither you or GreeBo understand the UK Highway Code. I bet you never even bothered to read the Introduction or Wordings. Do me a favour and read i, slowly. Then Read Rule 268 and show me where it says you "Must / Must Not. Take your time!!!

You've already been warned twice for being uncivil - enjoy a short holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭gmacww

I had an interesting one on Monday afternoon. Driving south on the M50 just after the Firhouse junction I was in the left lane doing 95 and the lane was pretty clear. Middle and right lane had traffic. Van comes right up behind me and undertook me using the hard shoulder. Not seen that one before.

What Do the Words Must and should in the UK Highway Code Mean?
    UK Highway Code Wording is explained in the introduction of Highway Code. Still, test takers often have a vague idea about what the words in the official UK Highway Code actually mean.

Understand that some words are more important than others. Pay special attention to rules where the word mustmust and must not are more likely to show up on your UK driving theory test.

It amazes me the amount of people that don't have an idea what the wordings mean. Do Not does NOT mean Must Not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

What Do the Words Must and should in the UK Highway Code Mean?
    UK Highway Code Wording is explained in the introduction of Highway Code. Still, test takers often have a vague idea about what the words in the official UK Highway Code actually mean.

Understand that some words are more important than others. Pay special attention to rules where the word mustmust and must not are more likely to show up on your UK driving theory test.

It amazes me the amount of people that don't have an idea what the wordings mean. Do Not does NOT mean Must Not.

Seriously.

Please DO NOT and you MUST NOT try and apply the "highway code"in IRELAND as it means NOTHING here.

Advertisement