Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailgating and Undertaking on Motorways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If it was ok to "undertake" then why is there any need to include the "slow moving" part in the RTA as amended?

p.s. I'm going to get something official from the Traffic Corps on this. I have a contact there. Stay tuned :D
    While you are at it, ask your contact about the enforcement policy on lane hoggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    While you are at it, ask your contact about the enforcement policy on lane hoggers.

I regularly see Garda vehicles hogging the middle and 3rd lanes when other lanes are empty, so I wouldnt hold out much hope on that one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

First Up wrote: »

That's a right pain also, but it doesn't allow or force anyone to illegally pass on the lhs either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Here's what I asked the Garda Traffic Corps btw....

"Could I ask your opinion on something please? When in lane 1 on a motorway is it legal to pass on the lhs (or "undertake") at any speed on the basis that traffic in your lane is moving more quickly than the outside lanes?"

I think that's a reasonable summation of the point being discussed. Probably won't satisfy some, but then again nothing would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

There is an r.s.a handbook that covers all of these questions. I think it’s available online. I just picked up mine in the apple green at coyness cross on the n11.
    Brilliant place to have all that info. If only some people would read it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

tom1ie wrote: »
    There is an r.s.a handbook that covers all of these questions. I think it’s available online. I just picked up mine in the apple green at coyness cross on the n11.
    Brilliant place to have all that info. If only some people would read it!

go ahead. enlighten us.
    what does it saw the law is

go ahead. enlighten us.
    what does it saw the law is
    www.rsa.ie wrote:
    When you are joining a motorway

• Stay in the left-hand lane (lane1) long enough to adjust to the speed of
    traffic before you consider overtaking.

I would take this to mean speed up OR slow down as appropriate?
    www.rsa.ie wrote:
    Lane 1 – You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this
    lane unless you are overtaking
    Lane 2 – You should only use this lane for overtaking. You must move
    back to lane 1 once you have finished overtaking and it is safe to do
    so. You can also move into lane 2 to allow vehicles coming from your
    left to join the motorway.
    Lane 3 – You should only use this lane if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving
    in queues and you need to overtake or make room for merging traffic.
    Again, you should move back to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so.

All from
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/motorway_driving.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

If it was ok to "undertake" then why is there any need to include the "slow moving" part in the RTA as amended?

p.s. I'm going to get something official from the Traffic Corps on this. I have a contact there. Stay tuned :D
    As you said the rules are identical in Ire and UK. So how could it be illegal in one and not in other?

As you said the rules are identical in Ire and UK. So how could it be illegal in one and not in other?

Why dont you tell us Sean?
    Some people say they never had or never would undertake. If the RSA made it legal tomorrow would you do it?
    I know quite well it's illegal in Ireland with the exception of slow moving traffic
    the RSA who told me you can only undertake in slow moving traffic, which is stop start moving.

Here are a few more reminders since you seem to have forgotten your own points from a different thread.
    According to the RSA you can only undertake on motorways in " slow moving traffic". I asked them what is slow moving. Is it the same on motorways as along the quays at peak time. They told me it means stop start driving.
    What the RSA mean by slow moving traffic is Stop - Starting traffic. That's the reply I got back when I enquired about this.
    Also I cannot understand the RSA not allowing undertaking on motorways
    The AA put undertaking in the top five of motorway near misses.

I'll leave you now to argue with yourself.
    TintedScrawnyGreatdane.gif

GreeBo wrote: »

Some people say they never had or never would undertake. If the RSA made it legal tomorrow would you do it?
    I know quite well it's illegal in Ireland with the exception of slow moving traffic
    the RSA who told me you can only undertake in slow moving traffic, which is stop start moving.

Here are a few more reminders since you seem to have forgotten your own points from a different thread.
    According to the RSA you can only undertake on motorways in " slow moving traffic". I asked them what is slow moving. Is it the same on motorways as along the quays at peak time. They told me it means stop start driving.
    What the RSA mean by slow moving traffic is Stop - Starting traffic. That's the reply I got back when I enquired about this.
    Also I cannot understand the RSA not allowing undertaking on motorways
    The AA put undertaking in the top five of motorway near misses.

TintedScrawnyGreatdane.gif
    Nothing's changed. . Can you spot any difference?

• Advertisement

It's not. It's equally illegal in both jurisdictions.

There are loads and loads of videos of this bad driving on you tube. Would you like to see a couple?

Completely pwned him there.

It's not. It's equally illegal in both jurisdictions.

There are loads and loads of videos of this bad driving on you tube. Would you like to see a couple?
    Are you seriously saying tha most those who make these videos are experienced drivers?
    What rule in the UK highway code proves its illegal to undertake?

Are you seriously saying tha most those who make these videos are experienced drivers?

Any hope you could try a cogent argument for once?

I've no idea who makes youtube videos of illegal overtaking, only that if it was a driver they'd have passed their driving test as they are on a motorway. Equally video could have been taken by a passenger who might never have driven a car.

I'm not going to feed your trolling any longer either. You've been quoted as admitting you've been told the correct interpretations on this subject but you still attempt to argue a case that is already lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 makon_mc

I got sick of constantly moving from left lane to the overtaking lane, because on empty motorway there are people driving on the middle lane all the way long. I drive m50 on a daily basis ( late evenings) and instead of just going my lane I need to move to the middle, move to the right, overtake, move to the middle, move to the left. Recently I started ignoring those lane hoggers, and I just cruise with 100kph on the left lane. there are evenings, that I don't need to change lane even once. If somebody is going to give me a ticket, I expect that all those driving in the middle lane will be given tickets in the first place.

makon_mc wrote: »
    I got sick of constantly moving from left lane to the overtaking lane, because on empty motorway there are people driving on the middle lane all the way long. I drive m50 on a daily basis ( late evenings) and instead of just going my lane I need to move to the middle, move to the right, overtake, move to the middle, move to the left. Recently I started ignoring those lane hoggers, and I just cruise with 100kph on the left lane. there are evenings, that I don't need to change lane even once. If somebody is going to give me a ticket, I expect that all those driving in the middle lane will be given tickets in the first place.

Lane hoggers are terribly frustrating, and it absolutely takes effort to do the right thing as regards correct lane discipline.

Undertaking as you've described is still illegal however.

Any hope you could try a cogent argument for once?

I've no idea who makes youtube videos of illegal overtaking, only that if it was a driver they'd have passed their driving test as they are on a motorway. Equally video could have been taken by a passenger who might never have driven a car.

I'm not going to feed your trolling any longer either. You've been quoted as admitting you've been told the correct interpretations on this subject but you still attempt to argue a case that is already lost.
    Iv asked you a simple question yet you cannot answer. Where in the UK highway code does it say it's illegal to pass on inside???? Don't be trying to splutter the usual nonsense and answer the question. I've already sent you a link explained by one of the UK's leading experts on road safety and accident investigator and advanced motorcycle examiner. He said exactly as I've been saying, Undertaking is NOT illegal. Rule please? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

If you are sick of having to drive correctly then you shouldnt be on the road.
    You are just proving my earlier point that this whole argument is born of selfish, lazy drivers.

Other drivers getting a ticket has no bearing on you getting one btw.

It's all there - 7'30" roughly.....

It's all there - 7'30" roughly.....

7:50
    Overtaking on the left is illegal
    Unless you are in a queue of traffic and the traffic on you right is moving slower than you are
    or you are in a designated lane leaving the motorway.

Oh look, its EXACTLY what we have been saying all along.;)

• Advertisement

You are doing nothing wrong staying in the driving lane and pass slower moving hoggers. According to expert Mr Henry Ford the traffic to your right most be stop/starting. Such nonsence. According to him if you come across a hogger doing a steady 30kmh in lane 3, with no obstruction ahead you cannot pass because he is not stopping and starting. Its the likes of him that puts other drivers at a high risk of being in a collision by constantly lane changing. What will he do when autonomous cars start appearing on our roads? You won't see them slowing down to hoggers speed.

that has got to be the most stupid video I have seen. so many things wrong.
    don't put out a warning triangle
    if your a woman you need to tell the person on the phone
    don't ring for help on a mobile.

lots of stuff we do but isn't really legaly required like pulling out to let someone enter your lane

i don't know the uk law but that video is claiming that there are a lot more words to the undertaking rule than we have. the video says it can only happen in stop start traffic. ours does not

According to expert Mr Henry Ford the traffic to your right most be stop/starting. Such nonsence.

Seany, Sean Sean.
    You are not even trying now.
    What will he do when autonomous cars start appearing on our roads? You won't see them slowing down to hoggers speed.

I guarantee that you will, because they will be programmed to follow the RSA & ROTR.

According to expert Mr Henry Ford the traffic to your right most be stop/starting. Such nonsence.

Seany, Sean Sean.
    You are not even trying now.
    What will he do when autonomous cars start appearing on our roads? You won't see them slowing down to hoggers speed.

I guarantee that you will, because they will be programmed to follow the RSA & ROTR.
    Your such a funny guy. Those who use the border daily will have to get their computer re programmed every time they cross? You should give up that funnystuff.

Your such a funny guy. Those who use the border daily will have to get their computer re programmed every time they cross? You should give up that funnystuff.

You see to have only answered one of my points; care to comment on the second one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Is that the one where a driver was done for undertaking whilst driving in the SAME lane as other traffic and reaching a speed of 160kmh and failing to stop? Are you seriously implying that that's the same as staying in the driving lane and passing a hogger who is in any of the outside lanes? Sometimes I think you do be serious!

No, the Twitter one, perhaps you missed it (which is surprising as it was the big Twitter box complete with a picture just above the little link you have zoned in on), but here it is again:-

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/535122853637939200

What difference has staying in the same lane or not got to do with it? Whether or not you perform a lane change has nothing to do with an overtake, weather you change lanes or stay in the same lane and pass another car it is STILL overtaking. So to answer your question yes, for the purposes of the law a lane change or staying in the same lane is the same in terms of what qualifies as an overtake whether it be on the left or the right.

And in that case failing to stop and reaching 160 km/h is irrelevant, the Gardaí chose to stop him in the first instance for the undertaking, the speeding and failure to stop arose as a result of that initial reason to stop.

That's not a link.

It's a different country obviously with different legislation, but the intent of the laws are identical. That's why I posted it. In a legal case the Judge tries to interpret the intent of the legislation, and can and will use whatever outside means as he/she sees fit to do so.
    Such as a motorway sign! :cool:

Unfortunately not HFIII, a judge can only establish the intent of the legislator from within the appropriate legislation, there are strict rules for interpretation.

So what speed do you believe "Slow moving" to be?

People are concentrating way too much simply on the meaning of one set of words, when dealing with statutory interpretation you don’t just look at words in isolation, you look at the appropriate provision/chapter and the Act/SI as a whole, the construction of the legislation, the context and the general rules of grammar.

I have seen cases brought all the way to the Supreme Court over arguments based simply around wording of statutes where a comma may/may not be present for example, yes a simple comma may mean the difference between a conviction or acquittal/dismissal. You would be amazed at the body of law simply concerning statutory interpretation – it can actually get very complicated.

The important thing to note is that the rules of statutory interpretation apply to ALL law whether it may be something really minor like a motoring offence or for more serious matters such as terrorism or murder offences. People seem convinced that once something isn’t defined that it is very much open to interpretation, that is not the case, when something is not defined it must take its ordinary meaning (and yes judges consult ordinary dictionaries for reference) unless the ordinary meaning becomes absurd, the majority of law is actually not defined as it does not need to be and to note is that judges can’t start messing around with the ordinary meaning of words in order to avoid an unjust or anomalous consequence. Statutory interpretation is something that all involved in the legal profession will touch base on, and some take a more in-depth interest specifically in the subject like myself.

With regards to the meaning of “slow-moving”, it’s meaning is the plain, ordinary and literal understanding (which is what the law requires as a first rule for statutory interpretation), we just need to figure out what that is, so perhaps we can refer to the most prominent dictionary for the English language for reference (the OED):-
    OED wrote:
    Slow-Moving

Slow in movement, action or progress

We know what movement/action/progress is, but what is slow?
    OED wrote:
    Slow

Moving or operating, or designed to do so, only at a low speed; not quick or fast

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that something going at 50 km/h is not slow, it may be slower than 120 km/h, but it isn’t by any definition slow, slow and slower have different meanings.

Next though as I explained earlier we need to look at the actual provision in law as a whole rather than “slow moving” in isolation.
    (5)(a) A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left—

(i) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or turn to the left,

(ii) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn to the left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention, or

(iii) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle,

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.

Note the sub paragraphs and the comma between “traffic” and “when” which creates either a necessity or sufficiency condition (in this case it creates a necessity in sub para (iii) ), as such the way to look at it is this way:

1. The action - A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left -
    2. Where permitted - in slow-moving traffic,
    3. The condition/s - when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle

Take away the conditions and deal with the primary qualifying criteria and we have:-

A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left, in slow-moving traffic

This is important as it shows the driver must be in slow moving traffic first, not simply passing something which is moving slower, the necessity of 3 is 2, 3 is only the secondary qualifying criteria which goes hand in hand with 2 - being in slow moving traffic.

The use of “in” is extremely important for statutory interpretation, as a preposition it signifies that you the driver must actually be in slow-moving traffic, not simply passing a car you deem to be slower than you. This is also in line with comments by the then Garda Commissioner Daniel Costigan who introduced the provisions first into law in 1964 in order to deal with congestion. Charlie Haughey as Minister for Justice also confirmed to the Oireachtas in the early 1960s that this provision was to be introduced for this purpose, it’s part of the public record, but it’s pity that Oireachtas debates can no longer be used to determine statutory interpretation as it would dispense with a judges difficult requirement to look up his dictionary and check what “slow-moving” means (as if he would need to?) and dissect the regulation like I have :)

Finally a quick look at the condition:-

when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle

I find the use of "more slowly" as opposed to "more slow" or "slower" interesting, my theory is slow/slower emphasizes one's statement (i.e something lasting or a set speed like a lane hogger), "slowly" indicates a way of one's action (i.e something temporary like being slowed down by congestion).

Now some may think all this is really overreaching, but that's how a judge would look at statutory interpretation irrespective of weather or not it's a minor or major piece of legislation.

Have you seen a lawyer use that defence? Are you a lawyer with experience in defending this scenario?

Not as such, the offence is what is known as a “strict liability” offence, as such the prosecution does not need to prove the mens rea (guilty mind) of the offence, merely that it happened as opposed to you intended it to happen, as such the defence of “mistake of fact” or “mistake of law” is not a valid defence under law for one accused of a strict liability offence.

I’m sure you have heard the expression “ignorance is not a defence”, or ignorantia legis neminem excusat as we call it in the legal world, it is an age old legal maxim which basically means what the accused believed or perceived to be lawful is not relevant.

The only way you could raise the issue of an appropriate speed for slow moving in this case would not be to raise it as a defence, but rather ask the High Court for an opinion on a point of law on the matter through a case stated or seek judicial review on a point of law – needless to say you would require a very large bank balance to take such a case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 makon_mc

If you are sick of having to drive correctly then you shouldnt be on the road.
    You are just proving my earlier point that this whole argument is born of selfish, lazy drivers.

Other drivers getting a ticket has no bearing on you getting one btw.

I wish you many pleasant journeys with plenty lane hoggers driving on motorway’s overtaking lane with speed not greater than 70-80km per hour !

And in case you don’t know - some eeijits won’t move to left lane no matter what.

Advertisement