Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailgating and Undertaking on Motorways

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

GreeBo wrote: »
    Seriously, you haven't a clue mate.:confused:

When the bus lane is not in use for regular traffic...its...wait for it....not a regular traffic lane!

Hence, the bus is not overtaking illegally, its on an entirely separate carriageway.

To be fair I'm not sure that was what he was saying. When a bus lane is not in operation (i.e. it's a bus lane only between, say, 07:00 - 19:00 rather than a 24 hour bus lane) it is a regular lane of traffic and the usual rules around "undertaking" should apply. Whether those rules in practice are actually applied or not is a different question, but that could be argued of any number of different issues and still doesn't make it right.

Edit, this is assuming that traffic in the normal lane is free-flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hence, the bus is not overtaking illegally, its on an entirely separate carriageway.

Bus lanes are not separate carriageways, they are just seperate lanes.

Also to note is that the rules for overtaking do not depend on there being separate lanes or carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

Buses overtake on left when lane not in use every day on every road in Dublin. Have you ever come across a bus being pulled in for this?

Seriously, you haven't a clue mate.:confused:

When the bus lane is not in use for regular traffic...its...wait for it....not a regular traffic lane!

No its not a separate carriageway. When its not in use it becomes an extra lane for all traffic. You certainly don't drive if you think it's a seperate carraigeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No its not a separate carriageway. When its not in use it becomes an extra lane for all traffic. You certainly don't drive if you think it's a seperate carraigeway.

When its in use its effectively a separate carriage, regular traffic is not allowed to use it, hence buses etc are not overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

wow, are you still feeding him?

• Advertisement

When its in use its effectively a separate carriage, regular traffic is not allowed to use it, hence buses etc are not overtaking.
    I said "WHEN IT'S NOT IN USE" . Don't be trying to get out of this one. I suppose you'll say most of Thomas St is a triple carraigeway.

What about the Long Mile Rd, I suppose you'll tell us that's a quadruple carraigeway? Think your best before date has long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Isambard wrote: »

Some people also feed pigeons! :o

Isambard wrote: »
    Yes, peanuts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No it isn't. It's just a lane I'm not permitted to use within it's allocated times.

• Advertisement

The simplest solution would be to use the same concept as the Americans do, I don't read regularly of mega crashes on their freeways, and they take the line of least resistance, pass on either side if there's a vehicle moving slowly. At least if it was official. people should be prepared for changes either side of them.
    +1
    Not just the US, same operates here in NZ on multi lane roads, though there is a general keep left rule as well.
    You don't have to go that far away. That rule applies to the whole of the UK. Also Poland. Hungary, Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Listening to AA traffic reports in the past few days, I've noted a number of motorway accidents - all in the right lane. That ought to help people join the dots.

First Up wrote: »
    Listening to AA traffic reports in the past few days, I've noted a number of motorway accidents - all in the right lane. That ought to help people join the dots.
    Have to laugh at some of the commenters on here. They say its legal and safe to drive alongside a hogger on your right, But its illegal and dangerous to move a few mtrs ahead where the hogger wouldl have a clear view of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There was a young fella driving a 2005 corolla on the m7 yesterday, driving in the overtaking lane and s few miles on he was in the driving lane doing 30kph while he was eating a sandwich :rolleyes:

Dakota Dan wrote: »

There was a young fella driving a 2005 corolla on the m7 yesterday, driving in the overtaking lane and s few miles on he was in the driving lane doing 30kph while he was eating a sandwich :rolleyes:
    The traffic must have been "very very slow moving"

The simplest solution would be to use the same concept as the Americans do, I don't read regularly of mega crashes on their freeways, and they take the line of least resistance, pass on either side if there's a vehicle moving slowly. At least if it was official. people should be prepared for changes either side of them.
    +1
    Not just the US, same operates here in NZ on multi lane roads, though there is a general keep left rule as well.
    You don't have to go that far away. That rule applies to the whole of the UK. Also Poland. Hungary, Germany.
    ...also Switzerland!

+1
    ...also Switzerland!

Advertisement