Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailgating and Undertaking on Motorways

Options
  • 05-07-2017 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

So been working in Dublin for the first time the last week, so I have been up and down the motorways. I've really noticed how fond drivers are of tailgating other drivers and undercutting them if they don't move in fast enough.

Happened to me twice and seen it happen to a few other drivers.

The two drivers who did it do me both tried to get in front of me when coming up to the express lane at the toll by moving over early and going over the white lines at the very start of the lane while I waiting until the arrow that directs you to move over.

After the toll I stayed in the overtaking lane as I was overtaking a few other cars and both were so far up my back that If I braked suddenly It would have caused a serious crash. I was going a good bit over the speed limit and it still wasn't good enough for them.

When I was finished overtaking and intended to move over they didn't give me a chance and just flew up on my inside. Only saw them when I looked in my wing mirror to check the distance from the car I had just overtaken before starting to move over.

One was a van and other was car, the van in particular was going so fast I wouldn't be suprised if he wasn't too far off 180km when they went by me. They would have killed themselves or somebody else going the speeds they were if they crashed.

Is this a common occurance around commuting time?

Was shocked at the risks drivers took simply becase they were impatient.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its the reason that there is a crash on the M50 nearly every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Its the reason that there is a crash on the M50 nearly every day.

Madness.

The last week has been eye opening when comes to driver behaviour on irish roads.

Lived in England for a while.Don't think it was as bad over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

While I don't condone either - the root cause is idiots lane hogging.

sdanseo wrote: »

Nope the root cause of it is ignorance and inability to obey the rules of the road. Main one being the speed limit. If you are in the left hand lane or the overtaking lane the speed limit is still 120

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Nope the root cause of it is ignorance and inability to obey the rules of the road
    That'd include the lane hogging.

The third lane should never have been introduced to Irish roads. We don't know what to do with it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If you are undertaken then why are you in the overtaking lane
    How are you being undertaken if you are overtaking a vehicle
    It's hard to visualise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Tailgating and undertaking are stupid, but so is staying out in the overtaking lane because you are above the speed limit, if there's faster traffic behind you - move the feck over !

Nope the root cause of it is ignorance and inability to obey the rules of the road. Main one being the speed limit. If you are in the left hand lane or the overtaking lane the speed limit is still 120
    I was going a good bit over the speed limit

The irony

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Tigger wrote:
    If you are undertaken then why are you in the overtaking lane How are you being undertaken if you are overtaking a vehicle It's hard to visualise

You need to leave adequate space once you've passed the vehicle to your left before changing lanes. You can't just cut across straight away. It's entirely possible that in this case the arrogant prat behind the OP wasn't patient enough to wait and allow her leave the space before returning to the left lane.

Tigger wrote: »
    It's hard to visualise

I moved to the overtaking lane to go through the express lane of the toll. Then stayed in the overtaking lane as I was overtaking a line of cars while the other vehicles were up my ass. When I cleared the last of the cars I stayed in the overtaking to ensure there was adequate distance to move in front of the car I overtook, just as I was about to move to the left lane, they went on my inside and went past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Tigger wrote: »
    It's hard to visualise

Exactly this. Move into the left lane and let people pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Do what I do. Just touch the brake enough so the light comes on. Usually slows them down or just be pig ignorant and take your foot off the accelerator and gradually slow down and laugh at them as they pass you in a rage.
    Better to be John Smith late than the late John Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

AfterDusk wrote:
    You need to leave adequate space once you've passed the vehicle to your left before changing lanes. You can't just cut across straight away. It's entirely possible that in this case the arrogant prat behind the OP wasn't patient enough to wait and allow her leave the space before returning to the left lane.

If the other drivers had room to undertake then the OP had room to pull over to the left. Some drivers sit in overtaking lane and are oblivious to a line of cars stuck behind them and in some cases the traffic on the left lane moves faster because of it.

We seem to have an aversion to driving on the left and get territorial over hogging the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

She quite clearly stated that she was about to move back into the left lane after overtaking a car, but the car tailgating her moved into the left lane before she had a chance too.
    When you overtake a car you are not supposed to cut straight back in, you have to give a bit of space to the car you have just overtaken, I guess some drivers dont have the patience for that.

dev100 wrote: »
    If the other drivers had room to undertake then the OP had room to pull over to the left. Some drivers sit in overtaking lane and are oblivious to a line of cars stuck behind them and in some cases the traffic on the left lane moves faster because of it.

We seem to have an aversion to driving on the left and get territorial over hogging the overtaking lane.

If the other drivers had waited 5 seconds. I would have started to move over. Saw them going to the left lane to undertake when I was giving my left wing mirror a final check before commencing the land change
    seachto7 wrote: »
    Do what I do. Just touch the brake enough so the light comes on. Usually slows them down or just be pig ignorant and take your foot off the accelerator and gradually slow down and laugh at them as they pass you in a rage.

I tried that once or twice. Didn't slow them down just got closer so I just speed up to get by the traffice to get them off my back. Like I came across a speed I would totally been done so god knows the speed they were doing. It wasn't like I was going slow and unaware of what was behind me.

It was a van and a mercedes.... both think they own the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

seachto7 wrote:
    Do what I do. Just touch the brake enough so the light comes on. Usually slows them down or just be pig ignorant and take your foot off the accelerator and gradually slow down and laugh at them as they pass you in a rage. Better to be John Smith late than the late John Smith.

Do that to an unmarked squad car and see who laughs 😉

Can you not just pull over and let them go on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

seachto7 wrote: »

Hey seachto, do you drive a cn reg vw by any chance?

My advice would be in future, don't speed, don't brake check, no need to make the situation any more dangerous than it needs to be

Maintain the speed limit or below, when you are passing the final car on your left, indicate that you wish to change into the lane on your left as you are actually passing the last car, don't wait until after (if you have a tailgater). This will let the car behind you know that you intend to change lanes as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I moved to the overtaking lane to go through the express lane of the toll. Then stayed in the overtaking lane as I was overtaking a line of cars while the other vehicles were up my ass. When I cleared the last of the cars I stayed in the overtaking to ensure there was adequate distance to move in front of the car I overtook, just as I was about to move to the left lane, they went on my inside and went past

i'm sure you can see the point being made, if they had room to pull to the left and undertake you, then you probably had room to pull over yourself. Maybe had you used you left indicator to show you were about to pull in, they wouldn't have done as they did. It's hard to know the real situation without being there though.

Isambard wrote: »
    i'm sure you can see the point being made, if they had room to pull to the left and undertake you, then you probably had room to pull over yourself. Maybe had you used you left indicator to show you were about to pull in, they wouldn't have done as they did. It's hard to know the real situation without being there though.

Are you forgetting the whole Mirror Signal manoeuvre from learning to drive?

Like I have said a few times, I was checking my mirror when I saw them pull Inside. Being patient for 5 seconds is what was needed.

Regardless of what I was doing they shouldn't have been doing what they did. At one point they were probably as close as 2-3 feet. God only know what could have happen if I had to brake suddenly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

If they had time to enter the left lane and accelerate to nearly 180km then you probably had sufficient time to also pull over, a simple indicator might have sufficed. I'm not condoning the driving of the other vehicles but you might need to assess your own driving behaviour while you're at it.

Driving is dangerous enough without a feeling of entitlement taking over our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If the other drivers had waited 5 seconds. I would have started to move over. Saw them going to the left lane to undertake when I was giving my left wing mirror a final check before commencing the land change

I see so much of this on the N11 and M50 every day. I usually indicate a little bit early, to let them know that I'll be out of their way as soon as I'm finished overtaking. Even that doesn't necessarily stop them from flying up the inside though, especially if they're driving an Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Irish people cannot drive on motorways, if they could the M50 and M7 would be much nicer roads to travel. It comes down to poor driving test requirements.

People driving slow in the middle and third lane make me so :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Madness.

The last week has been eye opening when comes to driver behaviour on irish roads.

Lived in England for a while.Don't think it was as bad over there.

Drivers are not but the speed camera system is a total joke.

sdanseo wrote: »

Nope, its idiots not paying attention and doing stupid moves. Lane hogging is just a nuisance but you can avoid it with a bit of patience .

_Brian wrote: »
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Tailgating and undertaking are stupid, but so is staying out in the overtaking lane because you are above the speed limit, if there's faster traffic behind you - move the feck over !

If a car comes up behind me and im passing a few cars, the car behind can wait until ive passed and clear for me to pull back in. Too many race up behind the car in front and try and force that car to pull over or quicken up. If they start getting to close and flash the lights then i'll be taking my time overtaking.

Those are the inpatient idiots who cause accidents.

I tend to potter along at about 130 on the motorway.

As a result, I tend to overtake the vast majority of cars i come across. So what I usually do is just stay in the overtaking lane. 9 times out of 10 the lane is empty behind me. When I see a car in the lane behind me, I keep an eye on him. If he is actually progressing towards me, I move in out of the way in good time and allow him to go by unobstructed. It's very rare that anyone would be stuck behind me in normal driving conditions.

If I am overtaking a line of cars, and someone comes up behind me, and tries to get into the boot of my car, I'll give them a flash or two of the hazard lights. Generally most people will back off a bit. if they don't, I hit the rear fog lights and tap the brake pedal momentarily for the lights to all come on. I never actually slow down though, or brake check them. In fairness, they could be in a rush for any legitimate reason. Could be a real life or death emergency, you never know. But regardless, tailgating me wont speed you up.

I have noticed something though, relating to busy motorway times..

During Dublin commuting time (which, thank god, I don't have to experience too often!), there is often a line of cars on both lanes of the M1 to Dublin (i'd be coming from Drogheda direction, heading south to Dublin). What tends to happen is someone is driving along at the limit, which is reasonable enough. They then happen upon a HGV which is restricted to 100km/h. They pop into the overtaking lane, and they see yet another HGV will be in front of them almost immediately if they swing back into the left lane. After they have overtaken the two HGVs, yet again, there's a car with a trailer, or a campervan or OAP pottering along at 100 or less. So the person decides to stay in the overtaking lane. Who could blame them? They're at the limit, and they're overtaking. No complaints here.

So the lads that drive BMWs, and Audis, who, for some reason or another, always seem to be in a panic to get places, come flying up behind you in the overtaking lane at 160km/h, and then get stuck behind you. They sit there, irate, wanting you to move into the driving lane, but naturally, you won't, because you're in a dense row of traffic, and although you're driving possibly below the limit at this stage, there's no point moving over to let the car behind you by, because you'll be stuck behind a truck, and you will have difficulty getting back into the overtaking lane again, as the car behind you has just taken your place.

So Mr BMW decides the best thing to do, is wait until he overtakes a truck, pulls into the left lane, and floors it until he's bumper to bumper with the next truck, and tries to merge in to the overtaking lane again. Having passed about 5-6 cars on his journey. Naturally, everyone seen him do this, so no one willingly lets him in, meaning he forces in, and a row of brake lights come on as everyone has to drop about 20km off their speed.

BMW driver will repeat this over and over. When you leave the motorway and arrive in dublin 15 minutes later, you'll see him sitting at the first set of traffic lights. He will have invented pressure and stress for himself, and will have gotten very little further on as a result.

I see this repeatedly (not always with BMWs, although they do seem to live up to their bad reputation by and large, unfortunately), and I never understand it. Often times, I will get fed up of the fast-slow-fast-slow nonsense, and I'll just set the cruise control at 100 and pull in between 2 HGVs. Less messing, less stress. Just potter along and let everyone else brake check, undertake, tailgate and flash each other in anger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you forgetting the whole Mirror Signal manoeuvre from learning to drive?

Like I have said a few times, I was checking my mirror when I saw them pull Inside. Being patient for 5 seconds is what was needed.

Regardless of what I was doing they shouldn't have been doing what they did. At one point they were probably as close as 2-3 feet. God only know what could have happen if I had to brake suddenly

You don't drive on a motorway when learning to drive. Motorway driving is a different skill and in it using your indicators to signal that you are aware of the vehicle behind by signaling left means that the following vehicle knows that you are awake and will pull over when the overtake is finished. By not signaling you just look like the thousands of other drivers who think that they are entitled to sit in the "fast lane " as they are going "fast", it's an overtaking lane.

The location of the express lane in the overtaking lane of the motorway is partially to blame for this by making people with tags think that they have to use the express lane even if they aren't confident enough to travel at the required speed. Move the express lane to the driving lane and then the problem will be partially solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

From what you've written here OP, you were the problem. If other cars were able to undertake you, it means you were in the overtaking lane while not overtaking and given that this is a daily occurance which slows up the entire motorway network for everyone, many of us have little tolerance for drivers like you.

Jamming on your brakes is not only dangerous but will just enflame the situation and I'm surprised to see so many people advocate this as thankfully it's not something I see all that often.

But if people like yourself could learn to use a 2/3 lane motorway correctly, driving on them would be a much more pleasant and safer experience for everyone.

Advertisement