Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Since nobody has said it I must truly be alone
    .I actually hate traffic lights like that awkward your stopping cars and you have to walk across with people staring at you.I genuinely will go out of my way to avoid them. like I'd walk in the opposite direction cross when the roads quiet then walk back to where I was going haha my mates think I'm a fruit loop.there probably not wrong .

It's made more awkward if a car is blaring music and you're trying not to walk to the beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

anna080 wrote: »
    When you go to meet friends for drinks, but they haven't arrived yet and you're left speaking to other people in the friendship group who you've nothing really to say to.
    I'm just the worst for awkward silences. I can't cope with them and always say "sure ya, that's it".... and make it ten times worse.

I hate silences as well and end up mumbling or just saying something random.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Walking into the jax in work while a colleague is leaving and they give you the guilt stare as you pass by them because they know you're walking a cubicle and your nose is about to be assaulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When your in the toilet cubicle at work and either you or the person next to your is annihilating the porcelain. Then you leave the stall at the same time to wash your hands, both with heads down in deep concentration of the hand washing process, no words spoken.

:D:D:D

The awkward moment at the end of a meeting when someone asks, "is there anything else?" and everyone looks blankly at each other before shuffling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Since nobody has said it I must truly be alone .I actually hate traffic lights like that awkward your stopping cars and you have to walk across with people staring at you.I genuinely will go out of my way to avoid them. like I'd walk in the opposite direction cross when the roads quiet then walk back to where I was going haha my mates think I'm a fruit loop.there probably not wrong .

Yes, yes, yes, fellow fruit loop over here!

THIS x 10,000.

• Advertisement

Since nobody has said it I must truly be alone
    .I actually hate traffic lights like that awkward your stopping cars and you have to walk across with people staring at you.I genuinely will go out of my way to avoid them. like I'd walk in the opposite direction cross when the roads quiet then walk back to where I was going haha my mates think I'm a fruit loop.there probably not wrong .

I was crossing with the lights across six lanes in the US on a breezy day when the wind blew my dress up around my ears, and nothing could keep it down. I'd pull it down and the wind would keep blowed up anywhere I wasn't clutching. I crossed the street, being stared at, with my drawers showing.

I could hear people laughing in their cars. The only blessing was that I couldn't really see them because I was busy trying to keep my dress down. Every time I think of it, I blush.

Just crossing the road normally doesn't seem so bad now, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Trying to get an emergency doc's appointment in London is pretty uncomfortable too. Most NHS clinics are so busy that you can't get through on the phone lines, so you're left to resorting to walking into the clinic at 7am and jostling for an appointment with the receptionist, who'll force you to announce what your symptoms are in front of the whole waiting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i was in a local restaurant today waiting for a guy to meet me there .
    I knew I was going to be waiting an hour or 2 so I sat so I could watch the tv.
    a foreign couple came in and sat between me and the tv at the counter .
    3 times they kissed and caressed each other. no problem with that but it made me feel very uncomfortable. I was trying to watch the tv over their shoulders but had to look somewhere else in case they thought I was perving on them.

its very unnerving seeing someone getting touched up in public like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

blade1 wrote: »
    I watched The Life of Brian a couple of weeks back.
    The next day I had one particular scene stuck in head and found myself saying a line from it all day long.

So, I was driving down an alley with the window down and as I was coming to a stop,a woman came around the corner exactly as the words "Bigus Dickus" came out of my mouth in a high pitched voice!

She just stared at me, all I could do was laugh!

As a matter of fact, I have a very good fwend in Woam, called Biggus Dickus...

Enjoyed that film so much, made better after having three years of getting Latin battered into me. Well, not really, I loved it so much that only got the occasional belt of the leather. "Romanus EUNT domus????" six slaps of the leather for you my boy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Stwike him centuwion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was at a match and a family came in and just sat around me.
    They were the over-sociable type.
    I was going to move up but they were too zealous in grabbing seats and boxed me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Watching a film with your parents in the same room and a sex scene comes on.

So you either pretend to be engrossed on your phone, eyes flickering up at the telly to see if it's over yet, your cheeks burning, or you loudly announce you need the loo...

OR your Mam will say "Oh did I tell you about Mrs Byrne down the road" and you'll go "No! Tell me" and this will be the most attention you have ever given one of your Mam's stories: you're absolutely enthralled...

Then the sex scene ends and you tell your Mam to shush cos you're trying to watch the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm a contractor and was delighted with my latest posting until It started to dawn on me that there two factions that don't like each other and I was hired to one up the other side and I'm essentially caught in the middle of something I have nothing to do with...

Awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

During the week, I was sitting in my seat on the tube when, what seemed to me like, a mid-40+'s lady got on with a large suitcase. There were no seats so she stood. I noticed she had a bump and looked at her face to see if she was pregnant. She saw me look. From this, I drew the conclusion she was too old to be pregnant and that by offering the seat, and thus inferring pregnancy, might have of embarrassed her. I sat there, going over in my head wondering what to do. Offer and embarrass her; not offer and make her think I'm a prick.

Then a young fellow a few seats down looked over, stuck his neck out, was ready to offer but then recoiled. I was wondering was he now in the exact same conundrum I was in.

I knew my stop was next so I got up and stood next to the door so that she could sit down without any potential embarrassment on both our parts. The same guy say her moving to sit in my seat and got up, offering to mind her large bag as she sat (he wasn't a gratitude-junkie; he seemed genuine). At this point it was clear she was pregnant, it must have been a very late-in-life pregnancy. Of course he got a bucket-load of thanks and very-kind-of-yous whilst I got nothing (I didn't deserve any).

It was all very uncomfortable and I still don't know how I'd react in a future similar situation.

Very similar situation last week when no one, including myself, would get up for a lady who may or may not have been pregnant. I always feel awkward when its an older person too and you cant really tell if you;re going to insult the person or not unless they're fairly doddery.

Although a few weeks ago, I saw a guy in his 50's (guessing) with a walking stick. I stood up and gestured for him to sit down when some auld bint just pushed everyone out of the way and stole the seat. She was clearly in a better state to stand than him. He just smiled and thanked me and I left it as there was no way I was gonna come out of any potential argument with her without looking like a d!ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Reminds me of a time I was at a conference and making small talk with a couple of women I'd encountered a few times before. All very cordial.

Then one asks the other when she's due. "I'm not pregnant".

I cringed so hard and the one who asked was so busy trying to apologise and smooth it over and the other one was trying to let on she didn't mind but was very offended.

As funny as it is, I was cringing hard at the time and was pretty uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

hehehehe,

similar to above, and it WASN'T me.

guy in work arrives to the bus stop and encounters one of the girls from a different floor. Making the assumption that her weight gain was not simply weight gain, he says "Congratulations!". "What for?" says she. Quick as a flash "oh wrong Mary - was it not you who was promoted recently". He swore he'd gotten away with it. It was funny watching him in the canteen after that, as he made huge circuitous routes to avoid her for a while.

Needless to say, we all learned a lesson there (it was many years ago when we were mad young fellas).

Advertisement