Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options
  • 24-06-2017 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I'll start.

People who sit in the seat right beside you in public transport or public places. Particularly when there's a wealth of other seats available and they've decided to just go ahead and sit right THERE.

People who look over your shoulder whilst you're on your laptop / iphone in public places (I'm looking at you, nosy German woman)

People who watch you doing stuff in a general sense. People-watchers without a trace of subtlety.

Public arguments.

People who pull out their phones when you're mid-conversation with them and start replying to whatsapp messages / checking their facebook etc. Never know where to look.

Going to pay in a beauty salon and realising I have no cash so can't leave a tip.

When men slyly stare at your chest/legs and think you can't see

When the bill arrives on a first date

When someone decides to get up and sing a song in a social situation (pub, house party etc) and they're a crap singer but you have to pretend they're great.

Funeral removals.

When you're checking out in a supermarket and have to tell the cashier "no, I don't want to help find a cure for cancer".

When someone makes an attempt at humour but it's really not funny so you fake-laugh in a really obvious way and *awkward silence*

When someone brings their new baby into the office and you have to pretend you know how to entertain/hold a baby and get completely stonewalled by said baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Flatmates having a party without telling you. And then having the "It would have been cool to have told me" chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Bambi985 wrote: »

Go dutch. Or at least offer to. Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People playing tonsil tennis in public areas.
    Parents being angry with their kid.
    Couples arguing in front of me.
    Men old enough to be my father attempting to chat to me on nights out.
    Being in the middle of a long que, people in front, people behind, get a bit panicky.
    Seeing someone obviously ill with cancer, I would move away from them/leave a que because I fear I'll end up bawling or getting sick it makes me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack.
    Lifts, when the door closes on the plane and you're in a seat with. Lots of people around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Just in hospital recently and any time I ever have to go in, it's the same uncomfortable feeling when they have to get so close up. I have no doubt that doctors and nurses are professionals and all the rest of it, who do this every day, day in, day out for a living, but I don't experience it every day for a living, so I'm often fairly nervous about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah, sorry about that. I can't help myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Definitely the saying no to charities.

"Would you like to help save a dying child?"

Um...no thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'll start.
    When you're checking out in a supermarket and have to tell the cashier "no, I don't want to help find a cure for cancer".

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Some more:

Opening a bag of crisps in public
    Walking passed a homeless person
    Calling clients who aren't responding to my emails
    A whole room of people singing Happy Birthday to me

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I work part time in a shop and whenever someone's card declines due to insufficient funds it's always horribly awkward.

I usually blame the machine to fill the empty silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Going on a date and you realise you have very little in common with the other person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Gotta be removals.

Especially if you only know one member of the family. You walk up and face a line of maybe 5 or 6 people. The person you know is in the middle. Even worse when the person in front of you offering condolences decides to stop and chat with the person you're about to move on to.

You're left standing in front of a complete mourning stranger.

I knew this was gonna happen recently so I just called to the house earlier in the day to pay my respects in a more personal manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

When someone brings their new baby into the office and you have to pretend you know how to entertain/hold a baby and get completely stonewalled by said baby.

Genuine LOL at this one!

You know when you say goodbye to someone, after coffee etc, and then bump into each other in a shop five minutes later? I hate that! The whole, "oh-hello-again, hahaha, bye now" conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Some more:

Opening a bag of crisps in public
    Walking passed a homeless person
    Calling clients who aren't responding to my emails
    A whole room of people singing Happy Birthday to me

Homeless ppl know you dont have time or money to give them, so most are happy if you just look at them and if inclined, smile.
    A survey said that they were the top two things that bugged homeless ppl most, made them feel invisible as well as all their other problems.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Weddings.

I prefer a good funeral, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Genuine LOL at this one!

You know when you say goodbye to someone, after coffee etc, and then bump into each other in a shop five minutes later? I hate that! The whole, "oh-hello-again, hahaha, bye now" conversation.

I had that one day a few weeks ago, a girl I fancy. I bumped into her and and had a brief conversation. 15 mins later meet her in the next shop, laughed and did the whole "you must be following me hahaha"

I swear to f**k an hour later I bump into her in tescos, I wanted the ground to swallow me up, she must of taught I was following her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Chatting socially with ppl, seeing them tune me out, even tho what im saying is relevant to what they had been saying. Turns me into a chattering mess.
    Ppl who walk away from me when Im talking or we paying as a pair in a restaurant.
    Ppl saying "You've gone very quiet"
    Being with ppl who pick up the likes of lip salve at a till, using it and putting it back, being oblivious that IT'S NOT a tester.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Ooooh! Unexpected baby shower!

We don't live in America, and I'm the last person in the world who would like that sort of attention. Especially since it was a very unplanned pregnancy and my life/relationship was a complete shambles.

So imagine my surprise, seven months pregnant and a sweltering mess, turning up for what I thought was a coffee at my friend's house, but ended up being a surprise baby shower. I actually panicked. There were tears (discreet ones in the loo) and not the good kind, then I had to clean up and come out and put on a brave face and act happy. She invited the most random selection of people; very few family or close friends, mostly distant friends and acquaintances. "Games" were played, stupid stupid games, and then I had to open all these presents in front of everyone, with a camera on me the whole time.

I was just ... horrified. How she could ever have thought that it was an okay thing to do. And I was very grateful, too, I mean how lucky am I to have friends who care about me that much? But yet know me so little ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Definitely the saying no to charities.

"Would you like to help save a dying child?"

Um...no thanks?

Share this on FB if you are against cancer. So if I don't share it I'm for cancer? Ok then.

Situation I hate is if you are owed a relatively small amount of money from someone (like 40 quid) and you've to ask more than once for it back. You're made to feel like the scabby person even though it's yours.

Another one is if someone asks you something and you don't quite hear them. You can only ask them to repeat themselves twice more at best. Then it's kinda nod and go 'oh yeah' and pray you've not agreed with Nazi policies or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any gathering that involves me having to make small talk with people I don't know.

Yep that would be weddings and funeral receptions, being put beside strangers at both. In fairness it would have been friends not family.

I just go to the funeral home/wake house now and avoid weddings unless they are family like the effin plague.

There must be a name for people like me/us. Anti social, shy or introverts. Doesn't matter it's how I feel that matters. Would never be rude though. Just do things the way that makes me feel as comfortable as possible.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Conversations with strangers in public toilets.

I'm here for a specific purpose and would like some privacy, so pi$$ off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah another vote for weddings here. It's the lame routine of the whole thing right from the get go. Go to this building - Sit there - Shut up and Watch this - Get out - Go to another building - Wait here - Go in there - Sit at this table - Shut up and listen to this - Stand up - Raise your glass - Get out - Come back in - Dance to this - Go home. And your supposed to be a "guest" at this yoke

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Yeah another vote for weddings here. It's the lame routine of the whole thing right from the get go. Go to this building - Sit there - Shut up and Watch this - Get out - Go to another building - Wait here - Go in there - Sit at this table - Shut up and listen to this - Stand up - Raise your glass - Get out - Come back in - Dance to this - Go home. And your supposed to be a "guest" at this yoke

Many people love weddings. I am baffled though. It's the same ol same ol boring forumulaic shyte every time.

But I dislike the having to be smiley and chatty for hours with people I have nothing in common with, or don't know. I suppose they can feel the same. With family they know everyone and don't push it falsely IYSWIM.

Some gatherings are hard work!

Not an awful lot. Erm. Giving my condolences to the family of a dead person is definitely one of them. I was at a wake a few months ago and I hadn't a clue what to do or say. So I hugged, squeeezed hands and said "I'm really very sorry for your loss".

When I was single the end of first dates was sometimes awkward. If I liked the man then I would try to be all easygoing and relaxed about meeting up again. If I didn't it was worse. Oh actually dates that weren't going so well caused me to feel a sense of urgency to get away.

Strangers who have no boundaries. You know the ones. Within ten minutes of meeting they have their life story told. Please don't mistake my empathy for a vessel in to which you pour your crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

That's gas. I love an aul wedding or work conference or whatever. A glass of wine or two and you've got a few new mates.

What I do hate is when you get stuck talking to someone you have nothing in common with and they're yapping away knee deep in some boring anecdote that will never end while you're standing there wondering how the hell to get away from them.

buried wrote: »

It's not the routine it's because it's organised "fun" :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Standing in a queue, maintaining an acceptable amount space between myself and the person in front when some dunderin' gobsheen lands up on top of me to join the queue. Like, if we were any closer, we'd be riding.

I inch forward to try and get away from them (while still keeping in mind that I don't want to infringe upon the person in front of me). Scutterin' fool behind creeps back into my personal space.

I scootch forward and slightly to the side to try and get away from them, but no, they're intent on attaching themselves to my shadow. Gimp. It's at this point that I spin around on my heel and fix them with a steely glare. If they STILL don't get the hint then I will ask them to kindly stop encroaching on my personal space but they usually just stare at you in slack-jawed awe.

God, I fcuking hate people sometimes :mad:

Many people love weddings. I am baffled though. It's the same ol same ol boring forumulaic shyte every time.

My brother got married recently, and they actually did it so right. They got married in a big room in a hostel (of all places!), in the middle of the countryside, I think the ceremony couldn't have lasted more than 15 minutes or so. Then a party in a big marquee on the hostel grounds, BYOB, barbecued piggy, all self-serve (even the top table.) Very few kids - my son and their son were the only two there, and they both went home early. Everything home-made and hand-made in terms of decorations etc. Just all so relaxed and chilled and lovely. 170 people there, but actually very few extended family ... they only invited the cousins etc who are actually in their lives, the 170 people were mostly people they know through sports etc. Plenty of aunts/uncles were miffed over their kids not being invited, a few didn't turn up over it, and they certainly weren't missed! If I ever got married, I'd love a day just like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

When someone praises me for doing something....... Might sound silly but if someone says "well done" or that was "good work" I immediately try to brush it off or minimise it.

Owryan wrote: »
    When someone praises me for doing something....... Might sound silly but if someone says "well done" or that was "good work" I immediately try to brush it off or minimise it.

That's an Irish thing. We can't take a compliment, and make ourselves out to be ugly or failures in case we seem arrogant or above our station or something.

Just say thanks. No more embellishment needed. I learned the hard way to get a raise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'll start.

People who sit in the seat right beside you in public transport or public places. Particularly when there's a wealth of other seats available and they've decided to just go ahead and sit right THERE.

People who look over your shoulder whilst you're on your laptop / iphone in public places (I'm looking at you, nosy German woman)

People who watch you doing stuff in a general sense. People-watchers without a trace of subtlety.

Public arguments.

People who pull out their phones when you're mid-conversation with them and start replying to whatsapp messages / checking their facebook etc. Never know where to look.

Going to pay in a beauty salon and realising I have no cash so can't leave a tip.

When someone decides to get up and sing a song in a social situation (pub, house party etc) and they're a crap singer but you have to pretend they're great.

Funeral removals.

When someone makes an attempt at humour but it's really not funny so you fake-laugh in a really obvious way and *awkward silence*

Advertisement