Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My brother got married recently, and they actually did it so right. They got married in a big room in a hostel (of all places!), in the middle of the countryside, I think the ceremony couldn't have lasted more than 15 minutes or so. Then a party in a big marquee on the hostel grounds, BYOB, barbecued piggy, all self-serve (even the top table.) Very few kids - my son and their son were the only two there, and they both went home early. Everything home-made and hand-made in terms of decorations etc. Just all so relaxed and chilled and lovely. 170 people there, but actually very few extended family ... they only invited the cousins etc who are actually in their lives, the 170 people were mostly people they know through sports etc. Plenty of aunts/uncles were miffed over their kids not being invited, a few didn't turn up over it, and they certainly weren't missed! If I ever got married, I'd love a day just like it.

Now that sounds great. You are not stuck in the one place for hours with those you don't know. Glad you had a good day, and I can see why.

But in general, weddings are boring and tiresome, long day and night. According to the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

buried wrote: »
    Go to this building -
    Sit there -
    Shut up and Watch this -
    Get out -
    Go to another building -
    Wait here -
    Go in there -
    Sit at this table -
    Shut up and listen to this -
    Stand up -
    Raise your [paw] -
    Get out -
    Come back in -
    Dance to this -
    Go home.

Sounds a lot like the life of a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Trying to go to sleep to the sounds of people riding in the next room. I get it, you scored. Now do it quietly while I get soon much needed shut eye.

Sounds a lot like the life of a dog.

A dog doesn't have to talk to people and be nice to them if dog doesn't know them. Dog can just be a dog. People are expected to be outgoing and chatty and get along with strangers for hours. I get exhausted and usually leave to go outside for a while at regular intervals. My OH will talk for Ireland, so I let him at it.

I wish I were a doggie sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I wish I were a doggie sometimes.

I remember feeling jealous of the cat when I had to go to school of a baltic winter's morning as a child. Bastards.

• Advertisement

Trying to go to sleep to the sounds of people riding in the next room. I get it, you scored. Now do it quietly while I get soon much needed shut eye.

https://www.quies.com/product/wax-earplugs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Standing in a queue, maintaining an acceptable amount space between myself and the person in front when some dunderin' gobsheen lands up on top of me to join the queue. Like, if we were any closer, we'd be riding.

I inch forward to try and get away from them (while still keeping in mind that I don't want to infringe upon the person in front of me). Scutterin' fool behind creeps back into my personal space.

I scootch forward and slightly to the side to try and get away from them, but no, they're intent on attaching themselves to my shadow. Gimp. It's at this point that I spin around on my heel and fix them with a steely glare. If they STILL don't get the hint then I will ask them to kindly stop encroaching on my personal space but they usually just stare at you in slack-jawed awe.

God, I fcuking hate people sometimes :mad:
    I hate that too, and will often simply move back a bit and if they take that hint then grand. If not I will then take a step back on their foot and as I am not too light or small they get the message quickly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

MAJJ wrote: »
    I hate that too, and will often simply move back a bit and if they take that hint then grand. If not I will then take a step back on their foot and as I am not too light or small they get the message quickly.

Next time it happens I'll take a Johnny out of my wallet and tell them they'll have to wear it if they get any closer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry about that. I can't help myself.

Women do it too. Though usually not as obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

funerals are much cheaper than weddings

often get fed for free too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Funerals, weddings, anywhere that requires social etiquette that I just don't seem to grasp.

Boring and excruciating small talk with acquaintances or people I don't know.

Awkward silences or tension in a room. Even if I'm not directly involved I feel uncomfortable and just want to smooth over the tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I get really uncomfortable with kids singing. You know the whole "Everyone shush, little Lilly-mae-rose-amy wants to sing a song". I was once at a communion where the kid was given a mic and sang a few tunes. I was also asked three times at my own wedding (twice by the granny, once by the mammy) to ask the DJ to stop so my flower girl could sing a song before she went home. Eh, no. Then the flower girl sat in a corner crying and made me feel like sh!t. No wonder I wanted to have a child free wedding!
    Ooooh! Unexpected baby shower!

I would absolutely die, fair play to you for being able to suck it up. I am 4.5 months pregnant with my first child and am making sure I gently mention it in most conversations that I f+cking hate baby showers. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Eating/break time in practically all institutions/organizations.

I don't want to talk about irrelevant he said she said nonsense on my break.

So I generally just run away. Because Ill just end up letting my mentalness out in company if I join your little clique of bullsht.

If I'm not there they can't know how fcked up I am.

I take the -0.5 for antisocial behavior, rather than the inevitable -4 'hes a weirdo' I'd get if I stayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

The taxi I'm in which I ordered on my taxi. He was only 3 minutes away but practically lost it with me over the app being a joke and how i was his last customer on it and he was closing his account because it's only a short trip I'm taking.

Awwwkkkkkwaaaarrrrrd

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Apart from all the similar 'having to talk to people' crap, I hate when I've realised too late that it's not really warm enough to go outside with an unpadded bra. It's completely obvious I'm nipply, and I never really know if it's rude to point, or socially acceptable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

greencap wrote: »
    Eating/break time in practically all institutions/organizations.

I don't want to talk about irrelevant he said she said nonsense on my break.

So I generally just run away. Because Ill just end up letting my mentalness out in company if I join your little clique of bullsht.

If I'm not there they can't know how fcked up I am.

I take the -0.5 for antisocial behavior, rather than the inevitable -4 'hes a weirdo' I'd get if I stayed.

Is this, me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Walking up a busy street on a hot day with a an itchy are. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Standing in a queue, maintaining an acceptable amount space between myself and the person in front when some dunderin' gobsheen lands up on top of me to join the queue. Like, if we were any closer, we'd be riding.

I inch forward to try and get away from them (while still keeping in mind that I don't want to infringe upon the person in front of me). Scutterin' fool behind creeps back into my personal space.

I scootch forward and slightly to the side to try and get away from them, but no, they're intent on attaching themselves to my shadow. Gimp. It's at this point that I spin around on my heel and fix them with a steely glare. If they STILL don't get the hint then I will ask them to kindly stop encroaching on my personal space but they usually just stare at you in slack-jawed awe.

God, I fcuking hate people sometimes :mad:

This made me laugh so much. Oh I so agree!
    Are some people completely unaware of the need for personal space. Or what do they think will happen if they actually stand even slightly back?!
    Another thing some people do is stand beside me in the queue. That is not how queues work :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i glanced at someones boobs the other day for a moment,and a moment later she covered up as if she thought I was having a good perve. i was sitting, she was standing, and i was facing her. maybe it was just coincidence. id rather believe that.

when theres a queue in the hairdressers/barber, theres the familiar one you always get to do your hair, and then theres some newbies that you're not sure you trust to do it right. I hope the regular is freed up first, so i dont get stuck with a newbie. i feel like a cuunt, they're all so polite. anyone else feel this? I've had a newbie or two before, and they've done a great job to be fair. i got one before with poor english who i thought would be a disaster, but did ok with direction.

i hate seeing people i get on with fighting with each other.

that awkward passive aggression where you dont know if theres gonna be a row or not....like this

https://youtu.be/NIBUWqSTp90

i hate being watched when im doing anything, especially cooking or preparing food.

i hate when im lodging money at the atm and it doesnt accept it straight away, and takes a few more attempts, hence more time. you can feel the eyes of the queue burning a hole in your head.

when the lift door closes and i wonder will i be stuck in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Robsweezie wrote: »
    i glanced at someones boobs the other day for a moment,and a moment later she covered up as if she thought I was having a good perve. i was sitting, she was standing, and i was facing her. maybe it was just coincidence. id rather believe that.

Aw sorry Rob but that gave me a laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Robsweezie wrote: »

Thats women for you.

I know I'll wear a low cut top so the world can see my tits.

How dare you look at my tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Thats women for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwhtaR7CUT4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

If I'm wearing something revealing then I'll be insulted if someone doesn't look at my tits :pac: If someone is blatantly staring and doesn't even make eye contact at all I'd be a bit annoyed but sure I have a sneaky glance at cleavage myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Thats women for you.

I haven't worn a low cut top since about 2010. I dress pretty conservatively but will wear mid length dresses and skirts in summer because ya know, 30 degrees and all. Still with the tits and leg glances mid conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

When other people make plans together in your company. I always feel obliged to look busy like I can't hear even though it would be impossible not to. The worst is if they then start to feel awkward and invite me when I'd actually rather stick pins in my eyes than take part in whatever social outing it is. I'd nearly rather I did care and felt left out rather than not caring but feeling awkward because they think I care and feel obliged to ask me. Then we all feel awkward and uncomfortable. Honestly people, surely it's just common sense not to discuss plans in front of others if you don't want to include them? But the rate at which this happens suggests otherwise.

jamesbere wrote: »
    I had that one day a few weeks ago, a girl I fancy. I bumped into her and and had a brief conversation. 15 mins later meet her in the next shop, laughed and did the whole "you must be following me hahaha"

I swear to f**k an hour later I bump into her in tescos, I wanted the ground to swallow me up, she must of taught I was following her.

Good luck...with the book ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When your in a shop and the sales assistant make you feel like thief.
    When you go into a shop with loads of sales assistants and no customers.

Sex scenes on TV when you are watching TV.....with the parents. Surely number 1 ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Definitely the saying no to charities.

"Would you like to help save a dying child?"

Um...no thanks?

Similarly, I was walking from a car park to shop door and a young woman asked me to donate to a cause. I'll be honest, I just said 'no thanks' without checking what it was for.
    She shouted at me "so whats your excuse?" as I walked away.

It was a while ago and I was young-ish but if she did it to me now I'd be straight back to her and creating a scene in the car-park.
    It's not right trying to bully people into donating to charities. If you want to donate, fine, if you don't fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

When you accidently send : "good night xxx" on a text to a grumpy builder who fixed your bathroom instead of your other half ...

Advertisement